Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old August 4th, 2007, 9:56 pm
First Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

jammi567 - I didn't say non-book fans. You mentioned your parents haven't read the books in ages; meanwhile I was referring to people who have only read the first book, if any. After seeing the last three films with people who fit the latter, I would say that sometimes the films are confusing for people who don't read Harry Potter as I had to explain something to them after each one.

I realise the films are made so the non-readers can enjoy it just as much as those who do read HP; the cuts probably don't even bother them as they don't know what is missing, it just seems like something is muddled. I've just noticed that often I'm left sitting next to a baffled friend.

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Third Year

Anywhere the movie strays from the books I get annoyed. I'm one who likes directors who stick to the details. My biggest pet peeves are Michael Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore (eek) & the Fat Lady portrait. She was perfect in the first films, than POA moved her & changed her. All in all though I think the movies were very well done, though I haven't seen OotP yet.

Old August 4th, 2007, 10:24 pm
Second Year

- Peeves (of course)
- Ever since the PoA movie, they have been implying that Hermione is ALWAYS a rebel, but she's not.
- They have also been giving the impression that Ron is some sort of coward. Yes, he does get a bit scared and whiny when in the presence of flesh-hungry acromantulas, but I can't see why anyone wouldn't. He is, generally, a brave person. I mean, he's in Gryff., isn't he?
- Michael Gambon really annoys me. He doesn't portray the calm and kind old man that I read about in the books well at all.
- The Quidditch World Cup. 'Nuff said.
- After I watched OotP, I thought that, had I not read the books, I wouldn't have understood any of it. They did a poor job of explaining what was going on. And if it is so that they did that because they are aiming for the Harry Potter fans only, then why not make a longer movie (as many Potter fans want)?

Old August 5th, 2007, 6:27 pm
First Year

in the gof when dumbldore acts like he has anger management problems. Dumbldore is a nice guy people!

Old August 5th, 2007, 8:54 pm
First Year

- Michael Gambon's Dumbledore, as we all agree. When I think of DD I think of an old man with a long beard, and very calm. Michael Gambon is like DD if he was an angry old man who just wants to kill someone. Plus his voice is so deep.
- Dobby. They cut Dobby! ***? Dobby deserves to continue, what will they do in DH, then? Will they skip MM entirely? They left him in COS, but I want to see Dobby with all those hats!
- Peeves & the Ghosts. I don't think we've seen the traditional ghosts (Nick, the Baron etc.) since COS, except for Myrtle. And of course, Peeves is missing.
-

Old August 5th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Second Year

Too short imo

Make sure to leave Suggestions, etc. here!!
Old August 5th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Banned

I'm peeved that they didn't have Nearly-Headless Nick in OotP.

Old August 6th, 2007, 12:37 am
First Year

-I like Dan R. as Harry; he was an adorable little kid, turned into a cute young man and I think he portrays Harry's 'goodness' very well. But, important line delivery... umm, eh. >.< Kinda stilted, but I feel he's getting better.

-Emma... Emma, Emma, Emma... *sigh* terrible. I have a hard time watching her from PoA onward, she's so bloody DESPERATE to say her lines all the time. I cringe inwardly. I cringe outwardly. She was fabulous in the first 2, but I don't like her screechy style these days, she needs a valium.

-Rupert Grint IS a good actor, it's the script they give him that makes him so whiney/ cowardly... He's an... ugly/cute sort of fellow, I feel that out of the trio he'll go on to do the most versatile stuff.

-Dumbledore - Michael G's portrayal of DD has grown on me some, but I admit he's not quite right for the part. However, we seem to be stuck with him, so reaching a level of acceptance was neccassary. (For me.) And I TOTES HATED that scene in PoA where he was talking about 'dreams' (Somebuddy else mentioned that too! *hi-5*) gads, that was stupid.

-I don't like that they show so little of Draco! MORE Draco!

-I really disliked PoA's director so very much... I read an interview where he was talking about maybe coming back for the 6th movie and I clenched my jaw so hard I about cracked a tooth! Ixnay on A.C. for HPB. I just really miss the warm, flowing story-telling from the first two movies, C.C. did a really good job of that at least.

- AND....... I HATE that Harry's eyes are blue, NOT green... Q_Q Ever hear of contact lenses maybe??? Dan - anybody???

Old August 6th, 2007, 1:07 am
Banned

Dan Radcliffe is allergic to contact lenses.

Old August 6th, 2007, 2:47 am
First Year

Oy, the movies... canon fans will always have more things to say, myself included. We're just loyal, and we don't want the books seen in a bad light?

But mine would be... hold on, I have a small book. (Just kidding.)

* The lack of green eyes. I understand he's allergic, but they do have extensive amounts of special effects. They can color his eyes in.
* No Peeves. I was so hoping he would make a miraculous appearance in OotP to chase Umbridge down.
* Their werewolf in PoA. I have seen many a better werewolf in other movies. It made me feel so bad for Remus and his wussy wolf form.
* The spell that hit Sirius before he fell through the veil. NOT a stunning spell. I definitely didn't need the fact that Sirius was dead to be rubbed in by seeing a spell that didn't occur in the book.
* Thewlis' mustache. Enough said.

Old August 6th, 2007, 2:50 am
First Year

Hermione's dress in GOF. They really push the pink too much, and it's a bit OC, in the book it was a pretty periwinkle blue, and I think it would have been more fitting just to stay canon that once.
And that they stopped giving her bushy hair.
And the dumbing down of Ron, though some people would say this is a matter of opinion.

Ear, ear, brittanyks!

Last edited by SydneyCartonFan; August 6th, 2007 at 2:51 am. Reason: adding
Old August 6th, 2007, 3:59 am
Banned

Yes, but Thewlis was too flabby in OotP.

Old August 6th, 2007, 4:11 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamandras View Post
-I like Dan R. as Harry; he was an adorable little kid, turned into a cute young man and I think he portrays Harry's 'goodness' very well. But, important line delivery... umm, eh. >.< Kinda stilted, but I feel he's getting better.

-Emma... Emma, Emma, Emma... *sigh* terrible. I have a hard time watching her from PoA onward, she's so bloody DESPERATE to say her lines all the time. I cringe inwardly. I cringe outwardly. She was fabulous in the first 2, but I don't like her screechy style these days, she needs a valium.

-Rupert Grint IS a good actor, it's the script they give him that makes him so whiney/ cowardly... He's an... ugly/cute sort of fellow, I feel that out of the trio he'll go on to do the most versatile stuff.

I did also get the feeling after this last movie that perhaps they are trying too hard. That being said I still enjoyed it and my biggest pet peeve is that there is too much book to fit into a movie, even if it is 2 1/2 hours long.

Old August 6th, 2007, 4:36 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
Yes, but Thewlis was too flabby in OotP.

Yes he was!
Remus is a werewolf. Undercover, I'd assume, even in OotP. If anything, he should be looking as far from spoiled as possible. As well as roughed up and scruffy.

Well, maybe in HBP he'll be a little less... fluffy, to be nice. We can hope. I will be. I adore Remus, and flabbiness just won't do.

Harry Potter Personality Quiz

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

Old August 6th, 2007, 8:17 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc90 View Post
they changed dumbledore way to much. i liked the guy who played him in the first 2 movies way better.

in the books they are always talking about how strange wizards look in muggle clothing but in the movies, everyone is in muggle clothing outside of hogwarts it seems like.
i also didnt like the 5th movie at all, it was the longest book 800 somthin pages but the shortest movie out of all of them.
also most every page of the book builds on somthing that has already been said or will develop into somthing important later on, but in the movies they leave out way to many minor details that become important later on
the 6th and 7th movie will probably be the best because the directors will know all the important stuff since there are no more books coming out and they wont have to guess at what they should put in and leave out.
the first two movies were the best, the director didnt change and it appeared he put way more time and effort into those movies, i also liked dumbledores long hair and beard and long robes way better thant this short haired and bearded dumby
The man who played Dumbledore in the first few died, that is why he seems like a different person.

Old August 11th, 2007, 4:10 am
Second Year

Here are four things that really annoyed me:
1) POA, when Hermione is about to beat up Draco and Ron says, "Hermione, no!. He's not worth it." WHAT Stupid sceenwriters, the real Ron would never, ever say anything like that! Ron was the one with the most temper and would always be the first to blow.

2) Again POA, Lupin's talk with Harry about Lily. What the hell was that? I thought that was just odd.

3) GOF, Voldemort's return to power. Such a letdown, it was so quick. Nothing was really explained, and I didn't like the way Ralph Fiennes played Voldemort. He seemed just erratic, while the Voldemort in my head is cold and calculating...but he improved in OOTP.

3) OOTP, the prophecy scene. They cut out so much detail, it made it seem insignificant but it is so important.

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old August 11th, 2007, 7:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someoneold View Post
I saw OOTP again this weekend, & every time Emma Watson said her lines she acted like she getting ready to cry. Did anyone else notice that?
A lot of people have noticed this.

Old August 11th, 2007, 7:51 pm
First Year

Emma Watsons acting. She constantly looks as though she's on the verge of a nervous break down, especially in the beginning scenes in the latest one. She's annoying. And has annoying mouth movements.

Grawp. WHAT THE HELL? That thing's meant to be ugly. Not cute.

Sirius's death. Was fit for something like..The Lion King. Maybe. Maybe something even more childish.

Voldemorts muscles. Muscles. MUSCLES. Honestly.

Harrys eyes. Why don't they use color changing contacts? Hello? Important plot line!

The change of actors for Dumbledore is acceptable, but the change of costume and makeup is just stupid.

"Is that really what my hair looks like from behind" Needed? No. Harry Potter isn't some cheerleader chick flick. And they put that line in the movie thats beginning to touch on the darker themes.

Peeves and Binns being missing. Oh and the fact they've ignored Dobby...bit crappy for the later films, is it not?
Wheres nearly headless Nick been? And Mrs Norris? We've seen Filch..but nai his cat.

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:17 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyWild View Post
Emma Watsons acting. She constantly looks as though she's on the verge of a nervous break down, especially in the beginning scenes in the latest one. She's annoying. And has annoying mouth movements.

Grawp. WHAT THE HELL? That thing's meant to be ugly. Not cute.

Sirius's death. Was fit for something like..The Lion King. Maybe. Maybe something even more childish.

Voldemorts muscles. Muscles. MUSCLES. Honestly.

Harrys eyes. Why don't they use color changing contacts? Hello? Important plot line!

The change of actors for Dumbledore is acceptable, but the change of costume and makeup is just stupid.

"Is that really what my hair looks like from behind" Needed? No. Harry Potter isn't some cheerleader chick flick. And they put that line in the movie thats beginning to touch on the darker themes.

Peeves and Binns being missing. Oh and the fact they've ignored Dobby...bit crappy for the later films, is it not?
Wheres nearly headless Nick been? And Mrs Norris? We've seen Filch..but nai his cat.
Emma Watson's acting is really bad. Bless her, cause she seems like a sweet girl, but in the Unforgivable Curses scene I almost screamed, COME ON!" out loud in the theater- that was so un-Hermone.

And I didn't mind Michael Gambdon either, but what is up with that hat? And his nails really creeped me out in POA.

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:11 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
Emma Watson is awful, and Dan Radcliffe used to be as well; thankfully, he's improved immeasurably in OotP.
Ya, I thought he was awesome in OOTP, but I think he's been doing pretty good since POA

I The Office
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies