Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

How did Voldemort get his wand back?

Old February 9th, 2003, 8:51 pm
Second Year

Voldemort's Wand

When Harry rebounded Voldemort's Avada Kedavra curse, the books say that Voldemort fled, with his body destroyed and all. I want to know how he got his wand back at the end of Goblet of Fire. It says that the Potter's house was blown up, and that Hagrid pulled him out of the rubble. Wouldn't have Voldemort's wand been destroyed too?

Old February 9th, 2003, 8:55 pm

Good thread, Spitf1re! I think wands are sort of powerful and don't get destroyed that easily (but they can break - like Ron's). Maybe Wormtail got it back for him?

Old February 9th, 2003, 8:57 pm
Third Year

Yea EvilMeghan, I think maybe he had someone get it, but not Peter, because where would he have kept the wand if he was with the Weasleys for all that time?

Old February 9th, 2003, 9:04 pm

Good point...and I don't think Wormtail would do anything for Voldie if he knew he was not powerful. Maybe someone like the Lestranges picked it up...but then where did they keep the wand for 13 years?

Old February 9th, 2003, 9:12 pm
Crumple-Horned Snorkack Keeper

Hmm...if I thought Voldemort had more trust in him, I'd be tempted to suggest Lucius kept it in his basement.

Maybe Wormtail did manage to retrieve it from the rubble of the Potters' house and found a safe place for it before his confrontation with Sirius.

Old February 9th, 2003, 9:27 pm

Did Pettigrew take Voldie's wand for himself? I believe they sent his mother his finger and his wand, so maybe it was kept in his mother's Gringotts vault?

Just rambling...

Old February 9th, 2003, 11:43 pm
Second Year

Maybe Peter used the 'Accio' spell/charm and the wand was not locked up very tightly and it flew to him from wherever it was. Underground in the rubble perhaps?

Old February 10th, 2003, 12:44 am
First Year

I believe that when Voldemort's body was destroyed, so was his wand. When he brought his body back, everything that was in his robes, i.e. his wand, came back. Just a thought.

'Oh these odds are fair...'
Old February 10th, 2003, 12:45 am
Second Year

Maybe barty crouch did because he was convicted of trying to find his master ya know? he could have been trying to find him to return his wand to him. Or maybe when peter returned to him he might have sent him to godrics hollow to find it for him.

Old February 10th, 2003, 2:28 am
Second Year

I believe Crouch Jr. is the more likely person to have found his wand. Peter had no place to keep it and Voldie was, well he didn't have a body. I can't remember if it says that Peter handed him his wand back or not.
Nope it says " Voldemort sipped one of those unnaturally long-fingered hands into a deep pocket and drew out a wand" ch 33 first page. Then he caresses it or whatever. The robe had previously been laying on the floor and Peter picked it up. So someone, somehow found not only his wand, but his robes before the MoM came to check out the Potter's place. Before Hagrid retrieved Harry.

Old February 10th, 2003, 2:29 am
First Year

Interesting thread, and a very good question.

We know that until Wormtail returns to Voldemort in GoF that none of the death eaters are in contact with Voldemort. They are no doubt aware of his continuing existence but not of his location or his state. It's possible that one of these other deatheaters managed to save Voldys wand from the ruin of the Potters house, but then how would Voldemort have had acquired it when he was "reborn"? The only death eater present was Wormtail when Voldy first pulled out his wand, and at that point while the deatheaters knew of his return, none had seen him or had a chance to return his wand to him.

Yet, it can't have been wormtail who kept it safe for the 13 years. He had no reason to and he will only do something if he will gain from it.

My guess is that one of the death eaters, or perhaps someone at the MoM picked up the wand and stored it. Most likely a death eater, because surely the MoM would have destroyed the wand. And when Wormtail returned to serve Voldemort he simply stole his wand back for him.

Edit: Ugh, just read ilovelifex1000's post.

I completely forgot about Crouch. That makes perfect sense. He had the opportunity, the means and the reason. Yes, he spent time in Azkaban, but there is no reason to believe that before his imprisionment he didn't conceal Voldemorts wand in anticipation for his return. Once he was free from his fathers spell and returned to Voldys service, he would definitely return the wand.

Perfect sense. I can't believe I missed it. I'll have to go and re-read GoF.

Old February 10th, 2003, 11:41 pm
Second Year

I have been wondering the same thing. How did Voldemort do Avada Kedavra on Frank Bryce without a proper body?

Old February 11th, 2003, 1:08 am
Second Year

In regards to killing Frank Bryce; wasn't Voldie like in the body of like that little baby-sized-creature thing. He might've been able to use a wand. Most likely Wormtail USED Voldemort's wand to kill him. That's why he showed in the 'Priori Incantatem' chapter.

Old March 6th, 2003, 1:31 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I was wondering about this thing for a while!

I'd happily accept that they got replacement robes but it was definitely his original wand. I dont think we know enough about the timing of everything to say it was definitely Barty Crouch Jr who kept the wand safe - were all the Pensieve trails after Voldemort's demise? Coz i thought that they started before..?

I am NOT a hobbit! (pic taken by the lovely Kizz of me with the Witch King of Angmar)
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:38 pm
Seventh Year

I think the trials started after Voldemort's disappearance because he was too powerful for that kind of opposition before his disappearance. Barty Crouch, jr. seems like a perfect choice for wand-saver to me too. Since after his escape from his father, he knew that Voldemort was trying to return (we know this because Voldemort himself says his faithful servant is working for him at Hogwarts). So, that proves that there was communication between them and for all we know they were able to meet, so Barty, jr. could return his wand to him.

Old March 8th, 2003, 4:53 am
Second Year

I think that Peter might have gone with Voldy to the Potter's house. He was there when BOOM! The house explodes. He looks for his wand as a rat and he grabs it and crawls away and puts it in a secret place for when Voldy comes or he can pick it up.

Old March 8th, 2003, 12:04 pm
First Year

barty crouch cant be wand saver. Bertha Jorkins anyone? Voldy had his wand back to kill bertha before he knew crouch jr was even alive!!! So, this leaves pettigrew, i think the theory of his mother getting his finger and wand back, and the wand being voldy's is the best. then pettigrew could have retrieved it before goin to find voldy. the only problem bein, how did he avoid being seen??? im sure we'll find out, coz it places someone else (pettigrew) in godric's hollow on that fateful halloween night..... also, voldy was returned to a primitive body by wormtail, so he killed bertha and frank coz he could hold a wand.

Old March 8th, 2003, 2:07 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

I agree that Barty jr couldn't have been the wand saver. Bertha was killed before Voldy and Peter left the Albanian forest. No chance to meet Barty before that.
So the only wand saver left is Peter. But how?

Old March 8th, 2003, 2:22 pm
Fifth Year

Maybe Peter was there at Godrics Hollow and saw everything happen. How else would Voldie know where the Potters were?? Peter presumably had to lead him.

Peter could have picked up Voldemorts things and fled. Hide the stuff then faced Sirius. It is assumed Peter and Sirius fought that very same night. Or the next.

Old March 8th, 2003, 3:22 pm
Fourth Year

It's possible that Voldemort could have bought a new one, or stole someone else's, like Quirrel's after he got blown to pieces!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives