Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces > Art History

Last Icon Maker Standing XII - Week two

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:02 am
She Who Walks Behind

Re: Last Icon Maker Standing XII - VOTING NOW

Voting off: #4

The idea with the grid is not bad, but the placement of the cat is awkward. Should have cut out the cat and blended it in or something like that. The cat itself is not a good image either.

Favs: Butterfly above. Sweet done. Like everything there.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2009, 4:26 pm
Deslumbrante

Voting: 4. The cat image seems to be poor quality, and the way it's positioned on the icon feels a bit awkward. I agree with Tenshi that you should probably have erased the background and blended the image in a bit better.

Favorites: 2, 7, 9.

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old June 1st, 2009, 5:08 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Last Icon Maker Standing - Week one results

This week we say goodbye to the maker of this graphic:

Sorry to see you go! Check back in a couple of weeks for the Special Challenge

Last Icon Maker Standing - Week 2 Challenge

Challenge: Headmasters of Hogwarts
Restrictions: You must make a signature sized graphic featuring a Headmaster of Hogwarts. You may use any images you like (HP, stock etc). Textures, animation allowed. However this must be in black and white with 2 spots of coloring (different colors!).
Size: Signature
Due: June 7th

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old June 1st, 2009, 6:23 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Last Icon Maker Standing XII - Week two

I was #8 the Gryffindog one. I love the feedback I recieved. I hadn't thought about toning down the firetruck but I like that suggestion and I might try doing that just to see how it works. I agree about the border. I'm a border person. I put borders on m graphics and I tried playing with the border I created so it wouldn't be the same old plain border, but maybe it was a little too much.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old June 1st, 2009, 6:45 pm
Registered Animagus

I liked the boarder on yours Leah I think it just should have been more even all the way around. Mine was:

Quite happy with the feedback I got and very happy with how it worked out

Old June 1st, 2009, 7:04 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Mine was number #9 (the dog with the stick) I had planned on doing dramatic black and white but because of the contrast I couldnt make it work. I was going for a somewhat dreamy look. Don't know if I achieved it but I was relatively ok with the graphic. I appreciate the feedback I received and agree with most if not all of it I think it should have been toned down a touch

Leah - I thought your graphic was great! I think it looked very polished and the layout of it was great

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*

Last edited by Vita; June 1st, 2009 at 7:07 pm.
Old June 1st, 2009, 7:47 pm
Registered Animagus

I thought yours was brilliant Vita Great composition, colours and image choice.

Old June 1st, 2009, 8:44 pm
Zonko's Employee

So this was me.

I'm probably going to sound like a chump but I was kind of perplexed by the comments I recieved. Usually the comments help me in the long run but in this instance I'm not sure what I can apply different. Had a lot of comments on the color. Some said they were bright and nice. Others washed out. So if I used more contrast the second group would have been happier but the first would've disliked it as over saturated. Some said the icon was blank and someone else said the font was wrong but I felt that a bigger different font would have overcrowded the icon. I think a few more specifics would have helped I guess. At any rate it was a beautiful table.

Hysteria, yours was definately my fave!

Old June 1st, 2009, 9:16 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
I'm probably going to sound like a chump but I was kind of perplexed by the comments I recieved. Usually the comments help me in the long run but in this instance I'm not sure what I can apply different. Had a lot of comments on the color. Some said they were bright and nice. Others washed out. So if I used more contrast the second group would have been happier but the first would've disliked it as over saturated. Some said the icon was blank and someone else said the font was wrong but I felt that a bigger different font would have overcrowded the icon. I think a few more specifics would have helped I guess. At any rate it was a beautiful table.
I've definitely had that experience - I did this week to an extent. I think it just goes to show that everyone has different opinions and preferences with graphics, and while listening to other people's comments/criticism can be very helpful, in the end you have to go with what you like best. Anyway, I thought yours was very well done! This week definitely had an amazing table, so great job everyone who submitted something!

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:39 pm
First Year

Mine was number#7

Pretty happy with the feedback <3

I know the choice of the unicorn mighta seemed weird lol but I think of the people in ravenclaw i/e cho chang, luna lovegood, rowena ravenclaw and they seemed to have a mysterious, magical glamourous air to them, like the unicorn

Old June 2nd, 2009, 1:31 am
She Who Walks Behind

Mine was 2. I am satisfied with the comments I got and I totally agree that it's too oversaturated. Silly me did an icon first and then had to change it to a banner in a hurry. I should learn to read posts properly.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 1:55 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:

If you want another opinion on this - I think I'd make the background behind the horses darker and/or less busy - you want to really emphasize the silhouette of those horses - because that's very dramatic, and you are not using it to best effect. IMHO.

I still love the idea!!!

Here is mine:

I still like the owl. I knew immediately when I saw the task that I wanted THAT owl. The owl, complete with the olive branch, is the device on the coins of ancient Athens. And as Athena's owl, it is obviously a symbol of wisdom. The Athenian silver owl is also a symbol of wealth (or at least it was in those times I care so much about). I guess it's a personal thing - an icon full of symbols that aren't generally clear, but that mean a lot to me.

A number of people (including myself) commented on the colour of the caption. I really wanted it silver, but it made the icon look awfully boring. I am still not very pleased with the whole composition, and I just lost the will to do anything about it after a while!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; June 2nd, 2009 at 1:57 am.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:07 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
So this was me.

Hysteria, yours was definately my fave!
Oh I know that feeling Happened to me every other week last round. I guess in instances like that it's best just to go with your gut and what you like and what you think looks good, and it looks like that's what you did

And thank you As soon as I saw that picture of the fox I knew I had to use it. I thin it was Klio who said that I should have included the fox's ears? I did try that but then it looked like he was too small or cut off and the negative space was too much.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:59 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
And thank you As soon as I saw that picture of the fox I knew I had to use it. I thin it was Klio who said that I should have included the fox's ears? I did try that but then it looked like he was too small or cut off and the negative space was too much.

Yes, it was me. Never mind - it's often easy to say stuff when you critique an image, and it might even be right, but there simply isn't a solution.

I know that, like you, I have often had criticism for a certain detail which I has actually tried to fix, but couldn't without making it look worse. (like this week with the suggestion that my caption should have been silver, not red).

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old June 2nd, 2009, 2:57 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
(like this week with the suggestion that my caption should have been silver, not red).
I liked the red. It may not be a Ravenclaw color, but I think it offsets the blue really nicely.

I liked yours too flimsey.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old June 2nd, 2009, 3:07 pm
Registered Animagus

I liked the red too. It contrasts nicely with the other colours.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 8:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
Because I've been rather flighty the past few weeks I accidentally missed an entry this week! It is a stunning graphic I thought it was only fair to share it!

Again, sorry to the maker of this graphic that I missed it
I love how you did this, with the butterfly incorporating the Ravenclaw colors. Very nice and bright, but somehow calming at the same time. I also love the text. Vita, will the maker still get to come back next week without a pass, even though they weren't on the table? Great job to the maker.

Thanks for the amazing signature Lisa_Turpin!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 8:40 pm
I want to believe

^Wow, that's a beautiful entry! It definitely would have been among my favorites.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:49 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
So this was me.

I think I was the one to comment about the font, I can elaborate if you'd like:

I just thought with that almost medieval looking graphic, the horses, colors etc. A pixelated, 21st Century font such as the one you chose didn't fit. I think more of a periodic font would have suited the image. Also I think the same with the bullets. The 21st Century text/bullets mixed with the 16th Century pictures/colors just didn't go well together for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
Mine was number #9 (the dog with the stick) I had planned on doing dramatic black and white but because of the contrast I couldnt make it work. I was going for a somewhat dreamy look. Don't know if I achieved it but I was relatively ok with the graphic. I appreciate the feedback I received and agree with most if not all of it I think it should have been toned down a touch
I really, really thought your entry was amazing. It was by far my favorite! Great job!

Last edited by Lord Godric; June 2nd, 2009 at 9:55 pm.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:15 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLongbottom View Post
I love how you did this, with the butterfly incorporating the Ravenclaw colors. Very nice and bright, but somehow calming at the same time. I also love the text. Vita, will the maker still get to come back next week without a pass, even though they weren't on the table? Great job to the maker.
Well, I would hope so! I think the entry got only very positive comments. Would be a pity if the maker of that icon couldn't stay in the race!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces > Art History