Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

German / Deutsch

Old June 24th, 2008, 5:25 am
She Who Walks Behind

Re: German / Deutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountWestwest View Post
Of the ones I have spotted this is one of my favorites: Lebensmittelgeschäftsleiter
Yeah I bet that's confusing for others, that we are able to link so many words. Things like "Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswe rkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft"(which is actually the name of a club in Vienna).

I link words all the time in English because I am used to it.

The End of the Dream.
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2008, 5:41 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid442 View Post
LOL, yeah. The compound words make those that don't know better think it's really difficult. "Life's middle management"?
Actually its: supermarket manager.

Whenever I'm reading a german magazine or newspaper I look for words like that... I love them.

We are but the dream of a shadow.
Solo somos el sueño de una sombra.
Wir sind nur der Traum eines Schatten.
http://countwestwest.livejournal.com
Old June 24th, 2008, 5:44 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Yeah I bet that's confusing for others, that we are able to link so many words. Things like "Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswe rkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft"(which is actually the name of a club in Vienna).

LOL

They're a boating club that likes to ride on the Danube?

Old June 24th, 2008, 5:45 am
Second Year

Quote:

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

I was going to suggest people putting the longest word they know in german... but you just won the prize.!!!

Old June 24th, 2008, 9:09 am
MODLY CREW

Heh, compounds can make things easier and more difficult at the same time. Contrary to English, German relies on nouns a lot.

Willkommen, Neulinge!

Old June 24th, 2008, 9:52 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Heh, compounds can make things easier and more difficult at the same time. Contrary to English, German relies on nouns a lot.

Willkommen, Neulinge!

Actually, English (which is in structure a Germanic language) uses compound nouns all the time. People never believe me, because English hasn't adopted the habit of spelling them as one word. a Lebensmittelgeschaeftsleiter would be something like a food shop manager, perhaps - and that's actually, in essence, a compound noun just like the German word is.

Quote:

That's a weird name, and I can believe that it is the jokey name of a club - it doesn't make much sense, though.

However, the mighty Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft (DDSG for short) did exist until very recently - the Danube steam ship company in English (and another English compound noun).....

And there was (Austria being a title obsessed society) an official title Donaudampfschifffahrtsgeselschaftskapitaen (a captain of the DDSG) which always used to be cited as one of the longest words.

And none of these were jokes - they were completely serious, in that Austro-Hungarian way

Of course, there are compound Bavarian curse words that are longer than this - but I wouldn't be allowed to repeat them on these boards.

Count WestWest.... do you know the film version of Das Schloss? As far as I know, it was filmed in one of the more kafkaesque landscapes I know of, the Raab valley just south-east of Graz (Austria)

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; June 24th, 2008 at 9:54 am.
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:04 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Actually, English (which is in structure a Germanic language) uses compound nouns all the time. People never believe me, because English hasn't adopted the habit of spelling them as one word. a Lebensmittelgeschaeftsleiter would be something like a food shop manager, perhaps - and that's actually, in essence, a compound noun just like the German word is.
Yes, but German is a Nominalsprache while English isn't. We would say "Der Kinobesuch war toll" whereas English speakers would rather put it like "going to the cinema was great" not "the cinema stay/visit/whateversillynounyoucanthinkof was fun".

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:07 am
Winning Teamster

Well, but if you look at it, you see that in terms of structure, the verb has been 'nouned' there.

essentially, 'Das Ins-Kino-Gehen war toll' - that's why you can assign an adjective to it in the first place. In other languages you might say 'We enjoyed going to the cinema' or something - and you CAN say this in English, or German, too... but it is just different in terms of frequency, I'd guess.

It is true that English verbs are extremely versatile, and the boundaries between verbs and nouns are minimal (you can 'noun' verbs, and 'verb' nouns easily). But in terms of construction, English uses nouns all over the place. Just that at times they are 'nouned' verbs.

The fact that the structure of English is so Germanic accounts for the fact that (although English is officially a kind of Creole between French and Anglo-Saxon) German speakers find it easier to acquire fairly good idiomatic English, than French speakers. French really IS a language where everything turns around the verb!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; June 24th, 2008 at 10:12 am.
Old June 24th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Count WestWest.... do you know the film version of Das Schloss? As far as I know, it was filmed in one of the more kafkaesque landscapes I know of, the Raab valley just south-east of Graz (Austria)
No I haven't, and it looks like it not out yet on DVD.

I been to Austria twice, both times to the Salzkammergut though. I love the drive from Munich into Salzburg. I've done it twice. Autobahn early morning like a bat out of hell... Alpine Road in the afternoon on the way back to Munich... just beautiful.

I hope to see more of Austria though. I just got to see Vienna.

Old June 26th, 2008, 3:24 pm
Third Year

I love German xD I'm currently in Berlin for a month studying it :P

Old July 3rd, 2008, 3:50 am
Second Year

This is a question for one of our native German speakers. Please understand it's not my intention to offend anyone. It's an honest question:

I was watching "Run Lola Run" ("Lola rennt") again and Lola used the word "tussi". I get the drift that it's a despective way to refer to a girl... but how offensive is that word?

1) Mildly offensive.

2) Somewhat offensive, but no big deal.

3) Very offensive... never use under any circumstance.

In voraus Besten Dank.

Last edited by CountWestwest; July 3rd, 2008 at 3:56 am.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 4:01 am
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountWestwest View Post
1) Mildly offensive.

2) Somewhat offensive, but no big deal.

3) Very offensive... never use under any circumstance.
I would say somewhat between 1) and 2), but depending on the circumstances as well. It's too mild to be really offensive.

If I see a girl I clearly don't like and call her Tussi, it's 2) and she'll get it wasn't meant to be nice. But sometimes for particular women use it self-ironic for themselves actually, when they want to accent on some 'typical female' characteristics. It's maybe used like 'bird' in English then, but I'm not too firm there to be sure.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 4:21 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I would say somewhat between 1) and 2), but depending on the circumstances as well. It's too mild to be really offensive.

If I see a girl I clearly don't like and call her Tussi, it's 2) and she'll get it wasn't meant to be nice. But sometimes for particular women use it self-ironic for themselves actually, when they want to accent on some 'typical female' characteristics. It's maybe used like 'bird' in English then, but I'm not too firm there to be sure.
Thanks!

Another expression that was giving me trouble in that movie was when her father calls her a "Kuckucksei". Then I read that the Cuckoo bird puts her eggs in other birds nest for them to hatch... so I guess that to be a "Kuckucksei" means he is not her real father... correct?

Old July 3rd, 2008, 4:23 am
Eldest Gruff

Yep, that was meant by this. He's not really her father. I watched that movie quite often actually, but it's a bit ago.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old July 4th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Sixth Year

Kuckucksei can also be used for someone who is born into a family but doesn't fit in, without questioning the parentage. Kuckuckskind is a child raised by a father, who doesn't know he isn't the biological father.

Last edited by Murzim; July 4th, 2008 at 5:15 pm.
Old July 4th, 2008, 8:18 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murzim View Post
Kuckucksei can also be used for someone who is born into a family but doesn't fit in, without questioning the parentage. Kuckuckskind is a child raised by a father, who doesn't know he isn't the biological father.
Interesting how the expression can be used... I hadn't come across "Kuckuckskind", but it is a brilliant word. Compact, but charged with meaning... as long as you understand the birds behavior. I don't think I've come across such an elegant word for such an awful situation in English or Spanish.

Old July 6th, 2008, 7:08 pm
First Year

I took German for 5 years and I live like 60km from Särbrucken so I really don't have no excuse but I'm truely, badly, and definitively not good at German.
I can only say small sentences like "Ich wohne in Metz", my age, my name, etc.
I can't handle the different things like akkusativ, dativ etc. I took Latin and was good at it (that's basically the same system) but it just doesn't work with German.
Now I'm not much attracted by the langage, but still, it could be useful seing as Germany is like 20km from my home. I wish I had had good teachers so I could be just a little fluent at German.

Old July 7th, 2008, 12:37 am
Winning Teamster

Hi, Hermy.... the best way of tackling it is probably just to go over there and use German.... not sure how contentious things are on the French/German border these days, but usually any foreigner even trying to speak German is welcome.

And I wouldn't be surprised that you found Latin easier than German. Many people feel the same way - I know I found both Latin and Ancient Greek easier than Italian, French or modern Greek - simply because reading a language is so much easier than speaking it, and even if one has to do the odd practice translation into an ancient language when learning it, speaking is still different. In addition, German isn't as closely related to French (which I assume to be your native language) than Latin is.

Not sure how easy it is for you to get across the border regularly, but the easiest would probably trying to have some fun with Germans ... I dunno... by joining a sports club or choir or something. I know there is now stuff like that going on along the Austrian borders that used to be closed - e.g. the border with Slovenia. The good thing is that there people start contacts between schools, so school children along the border can profit and learn the neighbours' language more easily....

I hope you have some luck with German

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old August 11th, 2008, 5:12 pm
Second Year

What is the dialect like in the Black Forest? Is there a way to learn that?

Old August 11th, 2008, 8:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
What is the dialect like in the Black Forest? Is there a way to learn that?
The dialect of that region is called Badisch, probably close to "Alemannisch". It's unlikely you'll find a place to learn it other than in the Black Forest itself.

There is an Alemannisch Wikipedia you can check.

http://als.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houptsyte

Last edited by CountWestwest; August 11th, 2008 at 8:16 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab