Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Dragonball Z/GT

Old August 15th, 2007, 1:42 am
Banned

Re: Dragonball Z/GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadPanda View Post
Gohan>>>the rest of the cast

Gohan was the only fighter who didn't end up being a total deadbeat.
I heard divorce settlements are still being negotiated with Vegeta and Goku's respective cases. Perhaps Saiyan's aren't the best of dads.

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2007, 4:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
I heard divorce settlements are still being negotiated with Vegeta and Goku's respective cases. Perhaps Saiyan's aren't the best of dads.
I think its really just Goku who is a crappy dad

Vegeta- Can't really fault him for not working I mean if I married into the richest family in the world you can bet your bottom dollar I'd never work, plus he was actually there for his kids and he took Trunks to the amusement park

Goku- Never worked a day in his life, constantly putting his children in danger, constantly abandoning his wife and kids for his own selfish desires.

Gohan- Has a J-O-B, supports his family, so he actually turned out to be a functioning member of society unlike his father.

Someone should tell Goku that when a formerly evil alien prince is a better dad than you, perhaps its time to rethink your parenting technique.

Last edited by SadPanda; August 15th, 2007 at 4:29 am.
Old August 15th, 2007, 4:50 am
Second Year

Wow, I used to LOVE DBZ. I had the cards, video games, T-shirts, etc. In school when I was bored I would create innumerable trace sketchings from some of my DBZ books. I would actually think I could Super-Sayan up or whatever they did...lol. I eventually grew out of it. I have no idea how the series is doing now or anything. It's great finding this thread though it reminds me so much of how I was when I was younger.

Animegus: Wolf
You're the strong and silent type. Wandering the Forbidden
Forest at night in your animegus form while you ponder the mysteries of life.

Hufflepuff
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~Albus Dumbledore
Old August 15th, 2007, 6:15 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Vegeta- Can't really fault him for not working I mean if I married into the richest family in the world you can bet your bottom dollar I'd never work, plus he was actually there for his kids and he took Trunks to the amusement park
He's also a pushover where Bra is concerned too. What his little girl wants, his little girl gets.
Quote:
Goku- Never worked a day in his life, constantly putting his children in danger, constantly abandoning his wife and kids for his own selfish desires.
You know, I wouldn't fault him too much. It's just due to how he raised. I mean, for a good while, he raised himself in the wilderness like a jungle boy or something before he met Bulma, meaning he's always had a life without boundaries. Something else we have to look at is Goku's character in general. He's a bit of a kid and seemed to remain that way. He was even naive and innocent in DBZ, something he obviously didn't outgrow from DB. Chichi was the one who roped Goku into marriage (remember, he thought it was a food)...he shouldn't have been married (even though, he's extremely loyal and protective).

Oh wait...I wouldn't say that Goku puts his kids in danger (purposely). When Radditz came to Earth, Goku went out of his way to try and keep Gohan safe. To be honest, I can't think of any time where Goku's purposely put his family in danger. Himself, yeah, but not Chichi, Gohan, or Goten. They just seemed to get dragged into it.
Quote:
Gohan- Has a J-O-B, supports his family, so he actually turned out to be a functioning member of society unlike his father.
Gohan grew up with a normal home life (somewhat), unlike Goku. Gohan grew up in society, therefore, he learned how to function within it. Goku really didn't. He lived on his own as a kid because of the death of his grandfather and was never taught because he never had a parent. Goku never once went to school in his life as well as other things normal people do in society. Goku was like a naive Wild Child who never fully matured.

Old August 15th, 2007, 7:02 am
Third Year

Gohan's entire childhood was just one life and death struggle after the next..he had to deal with the Saiyans,Freiza, The Androids and Cell before he even turned 10

Gohan had been thrown into life and death battles since he was 4 years old hell Goku didn't really have a life and death battle til he was 15 when he fought Piccolo Daimao...with everything Gohan went through its amazing he didn't just snap and kill everyone first time he went SSJ2...the thought probably crossed his mind

Last edited by SadPanda; August 15th, 2007 at 7:07 am.
Old August 17th, 2007, 6:27 am
Second Year

VEGETA IS THE BEST AND COOLEST DBZ CHARACTER-my opinion of course.
i was absolutely horrified to see what they had done to his hairstyle and appearance in dbgt-i liked him the best at the beginning of the buu saga when he wore that blue vest and trousers+white gloves and boots.

i would have REALLY liked to see him go ssj3 in dbz .

as for the other characters-goku's okay,i guess. krillin is ANNOYING.trunks,goten and gohan....hmmm....gohan has to be the best of the 3.

Old August 17th, 2007, 1:05 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag12 View Post
i would have REALLY liked to see him go ssj3 in dbz .
I know!! Me too, i liked his personality lol he learns to love as well haha. Thats what i like about him the most!

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 17th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Gohan's entire childhood was just one life and death struggle after the next..he had to deal with the Saiyans,Freiza, The Androids and Cell before he even turned 10
I thought he was 12 by the time Cell came around.

Old August 17th, 2007, 6:42 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I thought he was 12 by the time Cell came around.
That was a dub change..

Original

4-At the start of the series
4 1/2- During the Saiyan saga *Vegeta and Nappa arrived early*
5- He probably turned 5 sometime during the trip to Namek
6- Turned 6 during the year Goku was off training in space
9- After the 3 years training for the Androids plus a few months training in the ROSAT
16- During the Buu saga
26- At the end of the series

Dub
5-They bumped his age up
6-They claim a full year passed training for the Saiyans
7- Waiting for Goku to return from space.
10- After the 3 years training for the androids.
11- Turned 11 during the filler birthday episode
18- 7 years later During the Buu saga
28- At the end of the series

Old August 18th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

To be honest, I could never keep up with the years. The only age I know of for any character, was that Bulma was 16 when she first met Goku, and Goku was...8, I think... Okay, scratch that. I know only Bulma. lol

Old August 18th, 2007, 5:48 pm
First Year

Goku after training at King Kai's for the first time and learning the spirit bomb:

"Hey, thanks for the new outfit, King Kai...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
To be honest, I could never keep up with the years. The only age I know of for any character, was that Bulma was 16 when she first met Goku, and Goku was...8, I think... Okay, scratch that. I know only Bulma. lol
Oh yeah, and Goku was 14 when she met him. I remember that 'cause she freaked out when she learned his age. "Hey, you're close to my age!! "

Old August 18th, 2007, 7:27 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knux7 View Post
Oh yeah, and Goku was 14 when she met him. I remember that 'cause she freaked out when she learned his age. "Hey, you're close to my age!! "
14? I thought he was 12, because Krillin's a year older than he is...then again, that does seem familiar.

Old August 18th, 2007, 9:40 pm
Curse Breaker

I dropped back in and saw something about how everyone in the cast but Gohan was a total deadbeat and there was a crack about Goku and Chi-Chi's divorce. I undertand the joke about Vegeta--serves Bulma right for falling for bad boys all the time. Goku didn't grow up in society and was never afforded that opportunity. As far as his relationship with Chi-Chi...he didn't abandon her. In DBZ--he died, then he had to rescue his son which took a huge spaceflight--then he was lost in a planetary explosion. And then he died again saving the world. I don't know that he can really be faulted for any of those steps--I don't know the story of GT, so I don't know whether his Fountain of Youth incident was a result of carelessness, or a set-up by an enemy. I will say that at the end, he was simply too powerful to be allowed on earth. And aren't we stretching it a little to say that Gohan has a job? He's a redundant suit at Capsule Corp.--the entire cast basically lives off the profits from Bulma's father's inventions.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Goku didn't grow up in society and was never afforded that opportunity. As far as his relationship with Chi-Chi...he didn't abandon her.
One of the things I love most about Goku. He's so loyal and friendly. ^_^
Quote:
I don't know the story of GT, so I don't know whether his Fountain of Youth incident was a result of carelessness, or a set-up by an enemy.
Enemy set up, for the most part. Pilaf of Dragon Ball was finally going to make a wish with the Dragon Balls (these were black-star ones, though), but he saw Goku, or something, and grew annoyed, and wished that Goku was the age he was when he first encountered him, and boom, Goku became a kid again (his Dragon Ball age). He, along with a teen Trunks and Goten, were going to search the galaxy for these black-star Dragon Balls, since they didn't scatter across earth this time. They had to regather all of them, before the earth is destroyed...something like that. Instead of Goten, going though, right before the ship was to take off, Pan snuck on (she wanted to go, and I think she pressed the starter)...Goten was distracted by a call from a girl, iirc.
Quote:
And aren't we stretching it a little to say that Gohan has a job? He's a redundant suit at Capsule Corp.--the entire cast basically lives off the profits from Bulma's father's inventions.
And that's a bad thing? I wish I knew someone with connections like that. I'd be happy right now, since I'd have a job that I wouldn't have had to even "earn".

Either way, a job's a job. He became a researcher. I also thought that Capsule Corp seemed to run a lot of stuff in general, or a lot of places had a connection with it. It seemed to be implied, anyway.

Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; August 18th, 2007 at 10:06 pm.
Old August 21st, 2007, 8:21 am
Second Year

I've seen all of dbz but stopped watching it in 2002 or whenever they finished the Buu Saga. That last saga is the one I'd rather watch. Gohan went to high school, met Videl, and we see Goten and Trunks, SSJ3, Fusion, fat buu, Mystical Gohan, etc.

The names are kind of funny: Bulma, Trunks, Bra.
and Bibidi, Babadi, Buu!

Old August 23rd, 2007, 1:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPELIAMUS View Post
and Bibidi, Babadi, Buu!
haha i know!!! Thats what i find really funny

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 23rd, 2007, 5:12 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace_Forever View Post
haha i know!!! Thats what i find really funny
Interesting how pretty much everyone's name in general seemed to be a pun for something, or had some type meaning. Like how Chichi's name means "breasts", and how that's one of her main attractive "attributes" or how Bulma's entire family (herself and her kids included) are all named after garments of underclothing.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 5:15 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPELIAMUS View Post
I've seen all of dbz but stopped watching it in 2002 or whenever they finished the Buu Saga. That last saga is the one I'd rather watch. Gohan went to high school, met Videl, and we see Goten and Trunks, SSJ3, Fusion, fat buu, Mystical Gohan, etc.

and Bibidi, Babadi, Buu!
Gohan = 'rice' in japanese
Vegeta = 'vegetable'
and I'm pretty sure Kakarot = 'carrot'

Please, check out my brother's book:The Egyptian Diamond!
If you have any questions about it or want to know more, feel free to IM or e-mail me!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 8:16 pm
First Year

Radditz (Goku's brother) = radish
Napa = a type of cabbage
Freiza = freezer; his brother Cooler and father Cold...
Ginyu Force: Ginyu = "milk" in Japanese, Recoome = put the "coo" first and you get cream, Jheese (Jeice in the English dub) = cheese, Burter = butter, Guldo = put the o first for yogurt...

All the names are like that...!

Proud Member of the Admitting-I-Was-Wrong-Club.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Werewolves are people, too!

Last edited by monkeeshrines; August 23rd, 2007 at 8:21 pm.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 8:47 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Gohan can also mean "meal".

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime