Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What did you miss most that they cut from the movie?

Old March 19th, 2012, 3:26 pm
First Year

Re: What did you miss most that they cut from the movie?

I wish they could have touched on SPEW some, like showing Hermione knitting the caps for them, and how Dobby found work at Hogwarts once he was freed. It didn't have to be a major plot point, but they could have hinted at it.

OH another thing - the one thing I thought was a ruinous travesty was omitting at the end of OOP, when the Dursleys go to pick up Harry at the station, all the members of the Order surround him and let the Dursleys know to take good care of Harry, or else. THAT would have been the best ending, not the "we have something worth fighting for" ending from the movie.

I also thought that it was pretty sad that in the movie, they didn't show how Dudley came 'round at the end and actually was thankful to Harry for saving him from the Dementors. That would have been a nice touch.

And finally, a comment from a friend who didn't read the books - "How could those kids fight off all those Death Eaters at the end of DH2?" They left out how SO MANY parents of the kids and other folks came to fight the battle. My friend's comment is valid. In the book, the battle is more evenly divided but in the movie, it's only the students (most of whom were NOT in Dumbledore's Army learning how to fight) and teachers and the OOP. Clearly outnumbered.

For those in the US who might want to see the movies with the deleted scenes included, I suggest you watch them on ABCFamily. When they play the HP movies, they include all the deleted and extended scenes in their entirety. Some make a difference, some don't.

It would be really nice if the DVDs had an option to "Play movie with deleted scenes." I don't know why they don't.

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:04 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
The careers advice chapter in OotP. I know we sort of got the interaction with McGonagall & Umbridge on the stairs but that ended with Umbridge gaining the upper hand and it would have been good to see McGonagall annoying her so much. I can just imagine Maggie Smith saying "Cough drop, Dolores?"

:
That was my favourite scene in the whole book and definitely my favourite McGonagall scene, she shot up a thousand times on the cool level. So sad they didn't put that there, esp since Maggie Smith is perfect as McGonagall. The way McGonagall single handedly slaps Umbridge into place is awesome.

I also think they should have made Harry more angry in OOTP, in a way they WAY overdid the angst in POA ("HE KILLED THEM!" anyone?), then under wrote this one.

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheka View Post
In DH2, it's Ginny that cries out when Voldemort says Harry is dead and in the book, it's McGonagall who screams which is one of my favourite parts but after watching the movie I can see that it wouldn't have worked at all with Minerva but does with Ginny. It's made me realize how book and movie have to be different. Neville's part still would have been better if they'd kept to the book.
It's a funny old world. For me, that was a disappointment, I think the impact of that scene would be much bigger if it's McGonagall. And I think that, incredible actress that she is, Maggie Smith could have pulled it off.

Old June 5th, 2012, 7:06 am
Fourth Year

What I really missed was the book's final showdown between Voldemort and Harry. I honestly think that a lot of DH part 2 would have been a lot more meaningful if they would have left scenes the way they are in the book. But I do understand why they didn't do it that way. I guess the book's final showdown was more appropriate for a book, where the movie's is more appropriate for a movie. If that makes any sense at all.

Old June 7th, 2012, 5:53 pm
First Year

I wanted the inclusion of S.P.E.W and Winky! I can relate to Hermione so much over the elf-rights, except I'm that way about animals!
I too would have liked the inclusion of Peeves, he brought so much comedy to the books for me.

One moment I would have loved in the film was when Remus asks Harry to be Godfather, I was devastated that wasn't included! And ultimately, Dumbledore's funeral, which, for me, was the most beautiful part of all of the books.

Old June 11th, 2012, 7:28 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I've been thinking about HBP and why it irritates me so much. My conclusion is that I think the plotline of the book is Dumbledore preparing Harry for the horcrux hunt in DH, whereas the movie seemed to think the plot was all about teen romance. There was romance in the book I agree and it was important for character development, but that wasn't the story. I think that omitting so many of the pensieve memories left the actual story underdeveloped.

I wonder whether the cost of CGI was the reason they omitted things like Dobby in GoF, Kreacher's story in DH, and the third task in GoF? (OK, they didn't omit the third task but they omitted everything that made it interesting!)

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old June 11th, 2012, 8:25 pm
First Year

I wish they had kept Harry and Dudley's parting scene. It was one of my favorite parts of the book and would have for me, given closure.

Old June 12th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Seventh Year

I wish they had kept the scene with Dumbledore sitting in the Dursley's front room with the drinks knocking against their heads. I understand why it was cut though, I just really wanted to see the juxtaposition of the thoroughly muggle Dursleys sitting in the same room with the quintescential wizard.

Old June 13th, 2012, 12:01 am
First Year

I actually have not watched HBP or either of the DH movies because I was so mad about Umbridge's depiction in OOtP. She was nothing like she was described in the book, either physically or in any other sense (except that she was malicious). I thought they did a great job with the first 2 movies, an all right job with the second 3 (less so with GoF), but OOtP killed it for me as far as the film franchise goes. My husband just DVR'd both DH movies, maybe I'll change my mind as right now I am re-reading HBP and will move quickly onto DH and feel some kind of need to see the film adaptation.

Old June 17th, 2012, 3:49 am
Second Year

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but if there's anything I'd like to be put back in one of the HP movies it's Harry's scream in OotP.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies