Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What would you change about the films?

Old September 20th, 2012, 7:26 am
First Year

Re: What would you change about the films?

For me, Emma is clearly the best actor of the trio. She can banter with the boys in one scene then turn around and kill you with emotion in the next. Not a big fan of Dan or Rupert for different reasons and would have probably cast others with hindsight. I just don't think Dan is convincing with his more dramatic scenes and struggles mightily in them. Rupert is a better actor, but he's just a real mismatch for Emma - just not photogenic enough, and i could not suspend enough to disbelief to accept that she (or Hermione) would fall for him (or Ron).

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Sixth Year

Really? I found Rupert the best actor out of the three and much more composed than Emma, and Ron was always the only one out of the Trio that acted the most like a real person would given the circumstances.

Old September 20th, 2012, 10:26 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Really? I found Rupert the best actor out of the three and much more composed than Emma, and Ron was always the only one out of the Trio that acted the most like a real person would given the circumstances.
I agree 100%.
Rupert was the best, Emma the worst. Just look at her eyebrows!

Old September 20th, 2012, 11:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianavery View Post
For me, Emma is clearly the best actor of the trio. She can banter with the boys in one scene then turn around and kill you with emotion in the next. Not a big fan of Dan or Rupert for different reasons and would have probably cast others with hindsight. I just don't think Dan is convincing with his more dramatic scenes and struggles mightily in them. Rupert is a better actor, but he's just a real mismatch for Emma - just not photogenic enough, and i could not suspend enough to disbelief to accept that she (or Hermione) would fall for him (or Ron).
Based on your posts I've read, I think you have a pretty strong bias that has little to do with Rupert's actual ability.

I guess we're drifting off topic, but I thought all three of them took a step back in DH. But that's probably a result of it being much heavier on the action along with all the overdone angst-ing during the Horcrux Hunt in part one, so I don't know if I can blame them for it.

To get BACK on topic, I'd fix Ron's character if I had to pick one thing to change. I understand that book!Ron's role and value makes for somewhat less exciting visuals and why they type-casted him as comic relief essentially. But it isn't hard to make him the comedic character without actually making him comical. And there was certainly no need to give his lines and deeds to Hermione verbatim or to have him say the exact opposite of what's in the book (as they do in POA when Snape teaches DADA).

Old September 20th, 2012, 11:37 pm
First Year

I like Ron the best as well. He was the most consistent and had imo the most potential. He also played very naturally, I really saw Ron, and not some guy 'playing him'. This cannot be said of Dan. I always see Dan playing this character and not Harry. Rupert seems far more comfortable. Unfortunately, Rupert was used mostly for comical relief wthing the Trio.
And Emma, I don't know. There are moments I absolutely love her (f.e. in PS, COS, HBP and DH1) and there are moments I just can't stand her and I'm cursing poor Emma for ruining Hermione's character. (The overacting and eyebrows in GOF and OotP) But my disappointment melted away when I saw her crying over Ron in HBP and her famous 'Obliviate scene'.

Old September 21st, 2012, 10:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderHooligan View Post
Based on your posts I've read, I think you have a pretty strong bias that has little to do with Rupert's actual ability.

I guess we're drifting off topic, but I thought all three of them took a step back in DH. But that's probably a result of it being much heavier on the action along with all the overdone angst-ing during the Horcrux Hunt in part one, so I don't know if I can blame them for it.

To get BACK on topic, I'd fix Ron's character if I had to pick one thing to change. I understand that book!Ron's role and value makes for somewhat less exciting visuals and why they type-casted him as comic relief essentially. But it isn't hard to make him the comedic character without actually making him comical. And there was certainly no need to give his lines and deeds to Hermione verbatim or to have him say the exact opposite of what's in the book (as they do in POA when Snape teaches DADA).
Huh? My bias has nothing to do with Ron/Rupert. My bias is that I am a huge Hermione/Emma fan, regardless of who she's shipped with. In the books, I shipped R/Hr heavily but in the movies, it's 100% H/Hr. OTOH, it appears that you have a bias strongly in favor of Ron/Rupert and presumably R/Hr.

I actually stated Rupert is a better actor than Dan. The problem is is that he just isnt photogenic enough onscreen to be anything more than comic relief - you look at him, and then you look at Emma, and then it becomes impossible to believe that the two of them would ever become involved. Dan is a much more limited actor but when it's him and Emma in a scene, they just can't stop touching each other. Not in a sexual way obviously, but still way beyond what i would call normal "friend-sister" platonic touching . And it all comes so naturally.

It's quite shocking, really. I know casual fans who've only watched the movies and not read the books who are puzzled by the fact that they expected Ron and Hermione to get together based on the PLOT developments of GOF and HBP, yet they couldn't help but feel that the actors were wanting to portray a ton of Harry/Hermione subtext of the decidedly non-platonic variety.

I think if a more photogenic actor was chosen to play Ron, there might have been more a convincing rendition of the budding R/Hr romance for us to enjoy on the silver screen. As it stands, the sexiest and most "charged" scenes and even the most emotionally resounding lines went to H/HR.

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:10 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

We are not going to accuse anyone of bias here and who's opinion is more valuable or not. If you can't refrain from this, we will remove you from Muggle Studies.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Last edited by Hes; September 21st, 2012 at 11:14 am.
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:55 pm
Sixth Year

I'm not sure Rupert isn't photogenic. Has anyone here seen him in his other movies like Wild Target or Cherrybomb? He's pretty good with dramatic stuff.

I don't see "comic relief" when I see him, and if that's how he appears then it's more to do with the script and the direction.

Old September 21st, 2012, 4:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianavery View Post
Huh? My bias has nothing to do with Ron/Rupert. My bias is that I am a huge Hermione/Emma fan, regardless of who she's shipped with. In the books, I shipped R/Hr heavily but in the movies, it's 100% H/Hr. OTOH, it appears that you have a bias strongly in favor of Ron/Rupert and presumably R/Hr.

I actually stated Rupert is a better actor than Dan. The problem is is that he just isnt photogenic enough onscreen to be anything more than comic relief - you look at him, and then you look at Emma, and then it becomes impossible to believe that the two of them would ever become involved. Dan is a much more limited actor but when it's him and Emma in a scene, they just can't stop touching each other. Not in a sexual way obviously, but still way beyond what i would call normal "friend-sister" platonic touching . And it all comes so naturally.

It's quite shocking, really. I know casual fans who've only watched the movies and not read the books who are puzzled by the fact that they expected Ron and Hermione to get together based on the PLOT developments of GOF and HBP, yet they couldn't help but feel that the actors were wanting to portray a ton of Harry/Hermione subtext of the decidedly non-platonic variety.

I think if a more photogenic actor was chosen to play Ron, there might have been more a convincing rendition of the budding R/Hr romance for us to enjoy on the silver screen. As it stands, the sexiest and most "charged" scenes and even the most emotionally resounding lines went to H/HR.
Lots of people believe Rupert is plenty photogenic enough. He may not have as many fans swooning over his looks as Dan or Tom, but he is certainly far from ugly. And of course it helps to remember that while they kept Rupert as close to a likeness of Ron as they could (obviously couldn't make him taller) by usually having his clothes be the ugliest and blandest of the trio, Hermione's hair was changed and her hunch was ignored so she could be more attractive. And Emma had the advantage that all the muggle clothes she wore looked quite good on her.

And really, looks have nothing to do with acting ability. If you can do drama, you can do drama. If you can do action, you can do action. Just because some random model is beautiful doesn't mean she can act (though lots certainly try anyway). People always talked about how hot Tom Felton was but until HBP, I only thought of movie!Draco as comic relief. Then they gave him a chance to stretch his acting chops with the bigger role and I thought he did a fantastic job of it (and looked great doing it).

And they had typecast all three of the trio into their roles by POA, long before they had finished puberty so there was no way of knowing Rupert wouldn't turn out 'photogenic' enough anyway or before Dan and Emma developed any of this chemistry I always hear about but personally cannot see.

And finally, the actors didn't decide anything. It's not like Emma and Dan were like "oh wouldn't it be fun if we acted like Hermione and Harry secretly have the hots for one another" and "touched each other all the time" and Rupert was all "I don't care, whatever. I'm just here for the jokes." They did as they were directed and followed the scripts given to them. Emma's character got far more time, focus and attention than she did in the book, a lot of it at the expense of Rupert's. When every trio scene has Ron standing off in the background saying nothing while Harry and Hermione are in the foreground discussing the important ideas they have, then yeah I probably would've wondered if Hermione cared about Ron at all in comparison to Harry had I only seen the movies.

Old September 30th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Second Year

In the CoS movie I would've had the Sorting Hat say the line "You're wondering if I put you [Harry] in the right house" because the way the exchange is executed in the movie doesn't come across as being logical.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 9:52 pm
Second Year

I'm sorry I don't feel that Snape at Godric's Hollow hugging Lily's dead body and ignoring Harry crying was necessary. I think they should have omitted that and put in more Snape/Lily scenes in their teenage years. In the books just after the Potters are killed the only people there are Sirius and Hagrid. Maybe Snape could have been there after Harry was moved. I believe that Snape did not care for Harry but did everything for Lily. However, I can'r imagine him ignoring Lily's child while he is crying in the background. Snape's a cold guy but not that cold.

Old October 4th, 2012, 10:16 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't feel that Snape at Godric's Hollow hugging Lily's dead body and ignoring Harry crying was necessary.
Best scene in the film (regardless of "necessary") and better than anything in the novel IMO. If only they had been as bold and imaginative throughout the film series, instead of painting by numbers!

Old October 5th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Second Year

take out the entire unnecessary snape thing at the end. so ridiculous. I was embarrassed watching this part thinking "this is not in the books, this is so out of character and painful"

on the whole, I wish they would have followed the true story of the books a little more. I know this would probably been hard when the movies were coming out before the last books were released, but once they knew the whole package, would have been nice for the screenwriters to include more integral plot points that were left out. I know for many who had not read the books, the movies were quite confusing to them. a little more "canon" and a little less "signature" would have been nice for every fan, book read or not.

Old October 5th, 2012, 7:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssa View Post
take out the entire unnecessary snape thing at the end. so ridiculous. I was embarrassed watching this part thinking "this is not in the books, this is so out of character and painful"
Yeah, I found that scene pretty awkward to watch too lol

Old October 27th, 2012, 4:31 am
First Year

Helping Harry: 10 things we’d change in the ‘Potter’ films

Old October 27th, 2012, 6:05 am
Fourth Year

You saw that too, did you? I was just thinking about linking that exact article on here until I saw your post.

I agree with everything in that article, especially numbers 1,3,4, and 5.

Old October 27th, 2012, 9:05 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
You saw that too, did you? I was just thinking about linking that exact article on here until I saw your post.

What a brilliant article! I found myself nodding as I read each point!

Old October 27th, 2012, 2:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post

Yes, I saw this link on the twitter account of "mugglecast". I basically agree with all 10 points.

Old October 28th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Sixth Year

I would change directors for HBP. Yates did fine with Order, but HBP he had some trouble with, and his vision for the second part of DH left something to be desired as well. The mood he created was fine thanks to the time he spent on the pacing of the film, but the visuals and invented scenes were far removed from what the characters would have done. I get the need/desire to stray from the book for film, but to create scenes that were outside of what the characters would actually do seems misdirected (no pun intended).

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:43 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
I would change directors for HBP. Yates did fine with Order, but HBP he had some trouble with, and his vision for the second part of DH left something to be desired as well. The mood he created was fine thanks to the time he spent on the pacing of the film, but the visuals and invented scenes were far removed from what the characters would have done. I get the need/desire to stray from the book for film, but to create scenes that were outside of what the characters would actually do seems misdirected (no pun intended).
I don't give Yates that much credit for OotP and he totally ruined HBP. And the necessity for a totally changed Hogwarts interior in DH2?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies