Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Old November 16th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Seventh Year

Re: What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Does anyone else find the lyrics to the song during the Yule Ball to be extremely cringeworthy. Whoever wrote it was clearly trying to make sure the auidence knew it was a magical world song but the style of it ("dancing like a crazy elf" or something) just came across as a song that even 6 year olds would be too mature for.

I also think the casting of Krum was quite off as the actor they picked looked nothing like the Krum in the books.

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2010, 4:28 pm
Seventh Year

This is unfortunately my least favourite of all the movies. I think it had so mich potential, with the tasks and such and there was some good effects but I just didn't like how it was done. Some of the acting was terrible, some really corny lines in there too that were delivered rather awkwardly. I cringe a lot when I watch this, which is a shame because I loved the book.

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old November 17th, 2010, 1:20 am
First Year

Ugh there are too many moments to count. First of all, screaming Dumbledore, but that's been said enough already I think.
The Quidditch World Cup had SO much potential, especially the scene in the woods. But pretty much that entire thing was cut, and what do we get instead? "Victor, I love you, Victor I do!" UGH. Easily the worst scene in any of the films.
Then there's the graveyard scene, which was for me one of the most dramatic scenes in all the books. Such a letdown. I mean how many death eaters were there? Four? Five? And two of them were Crabbe and Goyle's parents. Yeah, the Order of the Phoenix should have a tough time with these guys. Also, were they wearing traffic cones under their hoods? And Voldemort just seemed kind of insane IMO, not particularly mysterious or evil. Not that I don't like Ralph Fiennes, he's excellent in OotP. I did like the duel however, and the wands connecting was done really well.

Old November 17th, 2010, 5:38 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geisterfahrer View Post
Ugh there are too many moments to count. First of all, screaming Dumbledore, but that's been said enough already I think.
The Quidditch World Cup had SO much potential, especially the scene in the woods. But pretty much that entire thing was cut, and what do we get instead? "Victor, I love you, Victor I do!" UGH. Easily the worst scene in any of the films.
Then there's the graveyard scene, which was for me one of the most dramatic scenes in all the books. Such a letdown. I mean how many death eaters were there? Four? Five? And two of them were Crabbe and Goyle's parents. Yeah, the Order of the Phoenix should have a tough time with these guys. Also, were they wearing traffic cones under their hoods? And Voldemort just seemed kind of insane IMO, not particularly mysterious or evil. Not that I don't like Ralph Fiennes, he's excellent in OotP. I did like the duel however, and the wands connecting was done really well.
Well, everyone acts out of character at some point. I guess it's just Mike Newell's style. However, it fits within the context of the movie. Dumbledore is acting that way to heighten the tension. It shows that he's not expecting something like the GoF spitting out Harry's name. He's worried. And if Dumbledore's worried, we (the audience) should be worried too. Note they took out all the bits about the Triwizard Tournament being much safer than in the past from the book as well. It's not like the filmmakes didn't know Dumbledore's character, they just needed him for this plot point. Dumbledore is no longer in control of the amount of danger that Harry is exposed to. I kind of liked that.
You're right about the DE's in the graveyard. They could have put a few more (and less hammy) extras there. Maybe they were busy stealing traffic cones that keep drivers from going in the wrong direction. (I like you nickname btw.)

Old November 18th, 2010, 12:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
Well, everyone acts out of character at some point. I guess it's just Mike Newell's style. However, it fits within the context of the movie. Dumbledore is acting that way to heighten the tension. It shows that he's not expecting something like the GoF spitting out Harry's name. He's worried. And if Dumbledore's worried, we (the audience) should be worried too. Note they took out all the bits about the Triwizard Tournament being much safer than in the past from the book as well. It's not like the filmmakes didn't know Dumbledore's character, they just needed him for this plot point. Dumbledore is no longer in control of the amount of danger that Harry is exposed to. I kind of liked that.)
Dumbledore always seemed to me like the person who was always in control and knew the right thing to do. The angry Dumbledore we see in the scene where he realizes that Moody is actually Barty Crouch was supposed to be so contrary to the Dumbledore Harry knew. I felt that that scene would have been much more effective if we hadn't been seeing that side of Dumbledore throughout the whole movie. I don't expect him to be perfect all the time, and I agree that it was a good idea to make it seem like maybe Dumbledore wasn't completely in control. But I don't think he would shove Harry into a trophy case no matter how worried he was.

Old November 18th, 2010, 12:47 am
First Year

I was really disappointed that they left out the house elves and SPEW. It made me sad.

Old November 18th, 2010, 5:24 am
Hogwarts Graduate

the movie only focused on a few important DE's. I wished that they had the whole story of Barty, Jr. and how and why he escaped. And Fudge blustering about how voldemort can't possibly be back. That lead into why he was the way he was in OotP.

Old November 18th, 2010, 6:08 am
Fourth Year

1) Whoever said "bipolar Dumbledore", I agree. With bells on.

2) Snape's "characterization", which was either non-existent or just plain wrong. Snape would be the last person to want to see Harry compete in a tournament in which he might lose his life. (And yes, while I realize Kloves didn't know that yet, even in the book Snape is angry that Harry's name came out of the goblet.) It's like Kloves completely reversed Snape's and Dumbledore's reactions and motivations in this scene...and I have no idea WHY.

3) Just personal, this one. I really, REALLY wanted to see (even a much-condensed version of) "The Parting of the Ways." In particular, I wanted to see Snape show Fudge his Dark Mark, as it's my single favorite Snape moment in the entire series.

4) The entire Yule Ball and anything connected with it. The music, McG teaching dance, Flitwick body-surfing, Hagrid and Maxine...you name it, if it had anything to do with the Yule Ball, it was (IMO) awful.

"Hey, Mom! Snape DIDN'T die - he's pitching in the World Series!"
[
Old November 19th, 2010, 4:30 pm
First Year

This is a weaker film, sadly. I love GOF the book. The movie feels way more rushed.

Here are my biggest issues
1. Angry Dumbledore! Been said lots of times, and for good reason. Dumbledore would NEVER yell and attack Harry like that! Seriously, come on now! Ugh! I miss Richard Harris. I find Gambon way too serious at times.
2. No subplots. No real detail about Crouch (that mystery was sadly given away), no revelation on Rita Skeeter being an Animagus. No Bertha Jorkins (seriously, how would they even know about the tournament in the movie). No SPEW. maybe some could be chopped, but Crouch and Jorkins at least were important!
3. It seems to cater too much to non-readers. The tongue flicking was annoying. Spoil it why don't you, writers (I adore David Tennant, I thought he was pretty good as Crouch Jr, the writing for him could be better). "HARRY THE CUP WAS A PORTKEY!" Yes, Cedric. We KNOW that.
4. Softening Crouch Sr way too much. Seriously, the guy was corrupt, and unprincipled, yet in the movie he's drabbling about losing family? ***?
5.No parting of Ways. That was a huge theme in OOTP. Nothing in the movie
6. Dumbledore's speech at the end was too blunt. "Cedric was murdered by Lord Voldemort!" Please stop shouting. The speech in the book had waay more emotion and sadness.

Old November 27th, 2010, 4:36 am
First Year

It would have been wise to split Goblet of Fire like they did with Deathly Hallows.

Goblet of Fire was a huge book with a lot of information in it. Fitting the entire plot into one movie and not angering fans is nearly impossible.

Goblet of Fire is my least favorite movie, not only because of how much was left out, but because whatever was included was viciously mangled.

I was incredibly annoyed at the fact that Durmstrang was an all-boys school and Beauxbatons was an all-girls school. It's such a small, silly thing to be upset about, but it really irked me.

There was absolutely no mention of house elves whatsoever. Words cannot describe...

The way Crouch Jr and Dumbledore were portrayed in this film was dreadful. Both are great actors, but Dumbledore was written so OOC, and in the flashback, BCJ was just a completely different person... it killed me.

wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Old November 27th, 2010, 4:39 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
It would have been wise to split Goblet of Fire like they did with Deathly Hallows.

Goblet of Fire was a huge book with a lot of information in it. Fitting the entire plot into one movie and not angering fans is nearly impossible.
I disagree. With the GoF movie, the problem did not lie with what was cut out, but with how a lot of it was handled. Like you said, Dumbledore's characterization and the Crouch subplot are examples of this.

Everything they cut out made complete sense because it wasn't crucial to the plot.

The graveyard scene through the ending is what saved this film from being my least favorite.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Old December 1st, 2010, 7:51 am
Fourth Year

Goblet of Fire I think may have been the biggest missed opportunity of the series so far. The overall story remained in tact, I guess, and all the technicals and acting were excellent for the most part. But the movie really tests my patience. It seems like they just tried to do so much, and give the movie so much energy, that it all ends up feeling really manic and disorganized.

I didn't like how they handled the any of the tasks at all really. Like, the first task? Why would Dumbledore and the other professors have Harry battle the dragon alone and then when the dragon escapes, but just sit there and expect Harry to manage to survive? It was a nice sequence, but it required a huge suspension of disbelief that I just couldn't buy.

Oh and this is just a really odd nitpick that I've always had, but why does the whole cauldron melt and then transform into Voldemort when Harry's blood is dropped in to it. It seems like a lot of money was spent to do that bit of cgi when a much more effective and creepy effect could of just had him rising out of the cauldron slowly. That always confused me.

Old December 1st, 2010, 8:11 am
First Year

The tasks were extremely rushed, and it seemed like the year at Hogwarts went by incredibly fast.

Old December 1st, 2010, 9:14 am
Third Year

GoF, imo, is the worst movie by far. It feels so hurried and overly energetic. There are several things about it that really irritate me:

- the beginning. No Dursleys? No lead-in to the quidditch world cup? No quidditch? Also, the stadium was constructed very strangely..it almost looked like it hadn't been finished. The Death Eater scene was also handled poorly, if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have grasped what was happening.

- Emma's performance. "I'm scared for you!" makes me cringe every time. I actually think Hermione was written well in this movie, she was very uptight and emotional, but Watson just had trouble performing.

-- Fleur's characterization. I know that in the books she is kind of shallow and ditzy, but the movie just made her seem so stupid and pathetic. They really degraded her, imo.

-- "Who wants me to open it?" Ugh!

I think I just dislike the overall atmosphere of the film. It feels very episodic, with something dramatic and action-y happening every 5 minutes, punctuated every now and then by forced and unsuccessful humor. The plot is rushed, there's no character development (except with Neville), no emotion...

I wish they had included the scene where Hermione's teeth grow because that was one of the best parts of the book, IMO. But I guess they left it out because otherwise everyone would hate Snape even more..

Last edited by craiggles; December 1st, 2010 at 9:16 am.
Old December 1st, 2010, 2:48 pm
First Year

how they cast Fleur... she just didn't seem magical to me...

Old December 1st, 2010, 3:26 pm
First Year

1. Krum and Fleur were portrayed as polar opposites from how they were written by Rowling.
2. Ludo anyone? I was looking forward to seeing him on screen.
3. Cho was a laughable character in the film.
4. Get a haircut, Grint and Radcliffe.
5. It'd be great if we could have someone else play Ginny.
6. Graveyard scene was a LOL moment to me.

I could go on and on.
Mainly the acting and atmosphere was entirely off in this film.

Old December 5th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
4. Get a haircut, Grint and Radcliffe.
I felt silly listing this as something I didn't like, but their hair REALLY annoyed me! Dan's I could deal with, but Rupert's was out of control

Anyway, I just rewatched this last night on ABC Family. Thinks that really irked me in the films (outside of the hair):

- The twins' fight after they put their names in the Goblet. Silly, unnecessary, and annoying.

- The characterization/stereotyping of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. A bit over the top and I certainly was not a fan of this.

- Nigel. I don't see why they just didn't call him Colin or Dennis for that matter.

- Everyone laughing at Ron's dress robes. I understand it was just supposed to be a comedic moment, but his best friends would not laugh at him for the fact that his family couldn't afford new dress robes for him.

- The final task had no creatures inside it and was a test of sheer bravery, guts and foot speed, nothing more.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
2. Ludo anyone? I was looking forward to seeing him on screen.
Agreed. Ludo was cool and i would have liked to see him. I think Amos was sorta like a composite of Ludo in a way (mostly appearance, not personality) but he was still Amos.

We were actually watching the ABC Family version last night, and my boyfriend actually pointed out the hair. Hes like "what is up with Harry and Ron's hair?" I told him about how you guys are not all about the hair either.

I kinda liked the final task because of the advancing maze and killer brambles. Its kinda spooky. The ever changing maze was a task unto itself. I didnt mind it at all.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old December 8th, 2010, 9:15 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Does anyone else find the lyrics to the song during the Yule Ball to be extremely cringeworthy. Whoever wrote it was clearly trying to make sure the auidence knew it was a magical world song but the style of it ("dancing like a crazy elf" or something) just came across as a song that even 6 year olds would be too mature for.

I also think the casting of Krum was quite off as the actor they picked looked nothing like the Krum in the books.
Yes to both of these! I don't know why I didn't see them before, but I REALLY didn't like that song and thought it was quite silly. I like that they were trying to incorporate wizarding lyrics, but I agree that it just came off more like "We Sing Silly Songs" (anyone have those as a kid?).

I didn't mind with the look of Krum, as there are many characters who don't really match what their character should look like (last I checked I couldn't find Rupert's long nose and freckles). What bothered me more was his characterization - mainly the fist pumping! When he flies out at the World Cup and is pumping his fist, the way he saunters in in his jacket when Durmstrang arrives like he is above everyone else (none of the other kids are wearing jackets), his fist pump celebration when he finds out he is a Triwizard Champion. I never thought Krum was all that dislikable in the books. He was kind of just this shy, reclusive guy who hung out at the library a lot and happened to be very good at Quidditch. I didn't find him that different from Harry in the respect that I never got the sense that Viktor enjoyed his celebrity (well, not until the his DH line about all the pretty girls being taken and the uselesness of being an international Quidditch star). The movies totally changed this around, which to me is way worse than just not having him match the description.

Then again, maybe that's just my interpretation of Krum.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."

Last edited by MsBinns; December 8th, 2010 at 11:11 pm.
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:02 pm
Second Year

There's a million upon a million of things to pick here!

1. Although I would love to say something unique and wildly interesting, Angry!Dumbledore gets the first place. For reasons we all know..

2. Among all the characters the screenwriters misplaced, I think Barty Crouch Sr. got the shortest straw. I was really looking forward to him - strict, cold and authorative. Instead we got this nervous, mumbly guy, and the character would've needed more screentime anyways IMO.

3. Yule ball song was pretty horrid, yes. Cringeworthy, to say the least. But I have to say that the scene afterwards is brilliant! It really pictures the awkwardness and sadness incredibly well and is one of my all-time fave HP movie moments! Rupert's "they get ... when they're older" (can't remember what it said tho) line is genius

Blondes have more fun! The Jackson KS300 Lovegood special: Only $499!
(Also known as the Lunatar ^^)

Do not read my fanfic "Bannister Sparke and the Peverell Penultiman Conspiracy"
Try
Xenophilius Lovegood: A Life instead
TRIVIUM !! <3
PS: Tom Marvolo Riddle anagrams into "I am Lord Voldemort", but also "Odd immortal lover"
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies