Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Scariest Scene in Part I

Old January 20th, 2011, 3:47 pm
Second Year

Scariest Scene in Part I

(Since the Muggle Studies forum has two individual threads for Part I that focus on "Funniest Scene" and "Best all-around scene", respectively, it seems only natural to have this thread. "Scary" does not necessarily make the scene your favorite -- nor, quite obviously, funny. I took this issue to a forum mod and had the concept approved. )

For me, the scariest scene in Part I would have to be the snake head popping out of Bathilda's mouth in a close-up shot. Tying in a close second is Ron's Splinching, which combined eerily realistic make-up effects with all-around convincing performances to make Ron's predicament immediate and frightening to watch.

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Scariest Scene in Part I

The scariest scene was when Harry and Hermione were looking at his parent's blown up house and then the camera pulls back and Bathilda is just standing right there staring at them. Creepy.

Last edited by decarus; January 20th, 2011 at 9:11 pm.
Old January 20th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Second Year

Oh, I remember that particular moment. I was not expecting Bathilda to be standing right by them, considering that she seemed to be walking up to her house without waiting for them to take in their surroundings. She must have turned back around and simply stared at them with dead, waiting eyes...creepy. I think one of the audience members in my theater gasped at seeing her abruptly appear.

Old January 20th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Registered Animagus

A lot of people gasped at the midnight showing. There was gasps and then murmurs of conversation. Creepy.

Old January 20th, 2011, 10:43 pm
Fifth Year

I'd say it's Godric's Hollow. Truly terrifying scene.

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:00 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
The scariest scene was when Harry and Hermione were looking at his parent's blown up house and then the camera pulls back and Bathilda is just standing right there staring at them. Creepy.
Definitely! I was sufficiently wigged out by just about every scene with Bathilda. I was on edge from the minute you see her standing in the street looking at Harry and Hermione and Hermione informs Harry "someone's watching us". I felt like Hermione that whole scene. I just wanted to pull Harry in the other direction and run! Oddly enough, I didn't find the gimmicky parts where the snake jumps at the camera (either in Malfoy Manor or Godric's Hallow) particularly frightening. They seemed particularly staged for 3-D, which annoyed me, and were put in for mere shock value.

I agree, while the audience jumped for both of those, the part where the camera turns and there is Bathilda had the entire theater in my midnight showing murmuring!

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:09 am
First Year

Like most others have said, the Godric's Hollow scene. I almost screamed when the snake jumped out from behind the rubble xD

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:14 am
Registered Animagus

When Nagini jumped up through the hole in the floor. I'll probably jump every time I see it.

Old January 21st, 2011, 1:21 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
When Nagini jumped up through the hole in the floor. I'll probably jump every time I see it.
That totally made me jump too, even though its obvious its going to happen. I think the creepiest part for me was Hermione's scream. That was the most heart wrenching, blood curdling part in the entire film series IMO.

Old January 21st, 2011, 1:57 am
First Year

The Godric's Hallow scene. When Nagini came out of Bathilda's head, that was scary. I was truly freaked out and I think everyone in the theater was too. Also another scene that I find scary, or at least frightening, is the first Malfoy Manor scene, and when Voldemort is telling Nagini to eat the muggle studies teacher, shivers went down my spine. I also found it scary when Hermione was screaming when Bellatrix was torturing her, that just made me jump, it was such a good scream.

Old January 21st, 2011, 2:54 am
First Year

I didn't really find any of the scenes scary, but some of them were kind of shocking. Like everyone else, I jumped during the Godric's Hollow scene, even though I knew it was coming the whole time! This includes the part where the camera zooms out and Bathilda Bagshot is just there, like a poster above me explained. Also, it was kind of disturbing when Voldemort is talking about Nagini's 'dinner,' just because of what it implies, and makes you imagine... Eugh.

"I must say Horace you make a very convincing armchair." - Dumbledore
Old January 21st, 2011, 3:19 am
Third Year

By far Godric's Hollow. Everything about Bathilda was creepy. For about ten minutes it was like watching a horror movie where dumb people go right into an obviously dangerous situation and no matter how much you shake your head saying "no don't do it" they do it anyway. Harry might as well have said "I'll be right back." (those who watched the original Scream know what I mean by that)

Here is the "I'll be right back." rule.... judging from the rules JKR was writing a Horror story! lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz9WHEm_Kx0

I am a Harry and Luna Fan. My ship may have sunk but my love goes on.

Ya know Daniel Radcliffe is really good at fake drowning.

Last edited by PrezLeefun; January 24th, 2011 at 6:23 pm.
Old January 21st, 2011, 5:46 am
Second Year

I was surprised and quite scared when Fenrir was walking toward Hermione, and thought I had overlooked a scene in the book.

As he got closer, and then passed her, I finally realized he was outside their protective charms.

It was a spooky scene, and a great way to show how their charms protected them.

Old January 21st, 2011, 5:47 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

While the scenes of the snake jumping were startling, because they were so sudden, the really scary scenes, to me where the ones in Godric's Hollow. They set up the right atmosphere, and, Bathilda was really creepy. All of this made Nagini's appearance even more effective.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old January 21st, 2011, 6:08 am
Malum Veneficus

Like many posters already said, the scariest scene for me was Godric Hollow. The woman who played Bathilda managed to capture the mysterious and eerie air about the character and the scene, very well. I found the part where Nagini came out of her, particularily scary. On my rewatches, I kept telling myself it's alright, I'll not freak out this time, but still I found it just as scary!

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old January 21st, 2011, 8:26 am
First Year

Definatley the Godrics Hollow scence. With Bathilda (Nagini).. I myself wasn't really looking at the point when Nagini jumped out of the floor >< but I heard screams!

Old January 24th, 2011, 4:54 pm
First Year

Hermione's scream/torture.
The bit where Nagini came out of the floor didn't make me jump. I was ready for it, it was obvious it was coming and I just told myself 'The snake is going to jump out' and it did, so it didn't make me jump

Old January 24th, 2011, 5:16 pm
Third Year

The part when Nagini jumps up from the floor actually scared me. I did really not expect it. I thought they were going to see Voldemort enter the house, and then the snake came back

Really scary scene

"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Old January 24th, 2011, 5:49 pm
First Year

I couldn't watch the scene at Malfoy Manor because I knew what was coming. I dunno why but it just really creeped me out when Charity was hanging there.

I was nearly crying when Hermione was being tortured. So chilling...

I also had my eyes shut for most of the Godric's Hollow scene so I didn't see most of it. I'm getting the DVD on Friday so I can watch every scary detail!

"When I was five years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment.
I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Last edited by BJMJOOO; April 14th, 2011 at 8:06 pm.
Old January 24th, 2011, 6:09 pm
First Year

Godric's Hollow like others have said from the moment you see Bathilda watching them and then Nagini came out of her body I got quite jumpy haha! Malfoy Manor was I suppose quite scary but it wasn't like "jumpy" scary if you know what I mean?...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies