Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

3D & Special Effects Discussion

Old July 26th, 2011, 5:15 pm
Second Year

Re: 3D & Special Effects Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathsheda View Post

That said, it's not worth it for this movie. I don't normally watch movies in 3D because it usually doesn't make any difference. There are few movies that actually use 3D to good effect (the animated Christmas Carrol with Jim Carrey comes to mind as a positive example) but in most cases it's just a pointless money sink. I only watched HP7 P2 in 3D because I wanted to see the undubbed version and the only theater around here that showed it had in 3D (I'm in Germany). Honestly, the only good 3D effect of that night that stood out was a candy commercial before the movie where it looked like there was fruits flying around in the whole cinema. It was pretty cool. But nothing special in the movie itself.
I went to the 3D version for same reason. I thought the same about the HARIBO commercial. Another thing that bugged me was that the images for each eye weren't completely separated, which resulted in some kind of ghosting effect in certain scenes.

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
I didn't like the effect for Imperio. Maybe it was because the goblin would do this weird inhale with it, that really was annoying. I'm not sure why they felt they needed to have a visual effect for that spell anyways...you hear Harry (and later, Ron) use the curse, you know that it has an effect on the person/goblin so why muck it up with goofy visual effects?
Exactly. Goofy, that's the word I was looking for. It's almost like they were trying to make the fact that the trio were using an Unforgivable Curse light-hearted so they didn't seem "evil" to people who hadn't read the books?

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting,
for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

Pottermore: OakPhoenix68

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:39 am
First Year

I prefer the regular version to 3D, but Nagini's death looked awesome in 3D and Voldemort's death looked REALLY AWESOME in 3D. Parts of his body were floating all around the theater it was really amazing. Also some other stand out moments in 3D: The fiendfyre, opening scene with the dementors, Battle of Hogwarts scenes, and Voldy-Harry after jumping when they were flying around Hogwarts looks really good in 3D.

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:30 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
I didn't like the effect for Imperio. Maybe it was because the goblin would do this weird inhale with it, that really was annoying. I'm not sure why they felt they needed to have a visual effect for that spell anyways...you hear Harry (and later, Ron) use the curse, you know that it has an effect on the person/goblin so why muck it up with goofy visual effects?

Mmmmm, my impression, both times of that scene, is that it is not clear that Harry is coming over to put the imperio on. I think it's just a mild special effect that creates a clear understanding for the viewer. Often it's the way the magic and spells are shown that causes the most confusion for non readers. It's what my daughter would ask me about (she's 24) but she didn't ask for imperio. It was clear to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathsheda View Post
First of all, you can wear 3D glasses with normal glasses. I just put the 3D glasses in front of my normal glasses and it works just fine. It also isn't uncomfortable or anything.

That said, it's not worth it for this movie. I don't normally watch movies in 3D because it usually doesn't make any difference. There are few movies that actually use 3D to good effect (the animated Christmas Carrol with Jim Carrey comes to mind as a positive example) but in most cases it's just a pointless money sink. I only watched HP7 P2 in 3D because I wanted to see the undubbed version and the only theater around here that showed it had in 3D (I'm in Germany). Honestly, the only good 3D effect of that night that stood out was a candy commercial before the movie where it looked like there was fruits flying around in the whole cinema. It was pretty cool. But nothing special in the movie itself.

I quite liked it. I dont' like 3D but this 3D didn't fall on cheesey effects to sell it. They used it to enhance simple scenes. I enjoyed shell cottage with it a lot. The bank part of Gringotts with hermione and Ron, were great.

Old July 28th, 2011, 3:41 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Mmmmm, my impression, both times of that scene, is that it is not clear that Harry is coming over to put the imperio on. I think it's just a mild special effect that creates a clear understanding for the viewer. Often it's the way the magic and spells are shown that causes the most confusion for non readers. It's what my daughter would ask me about (she's 24) but she didn't ask for imperio. It was clear to her.
But you can see Harry withdrawing his wand in Gringotts, right after he puts the curse on the goblin. Unless that's one of those things (like Bellatrix's hair in part 1) that people didn't catch or overlooked, you know it's Harry. Don't they show him moving towards/around the podium that the goblin is on. I think the colored effect would have worked better if it wasn't rainbow colored. Imperio is an unforgivable curse, so it shouldn't look as though a unicorn might go sailing over the gobin's head at any moment. What also struck me as a little odd was the effect of the Imperio curse--that it made the goblin happy to go along--I always had the impression (from the books) that Imperio just made people do what you wanted (and not necessarily with a happy attitude.)

Quote:
I quite liked it. I dont' like 3D but this 3D didn't fall on cheesey effects to sell it. They used it to enhance simple scenes. I enjoyed shell cottage with it a lot. The bank part of Gringotts with hermione and Ron, were great.
I did too (when I saw the digital 3D projection. I saw a non-digital projection and the effects were almost non existent). I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the 3D as much as I did, because I wasn't expecting to like it at all.

Old July 28th, 2011, 6:13 pm
First Year

Has anyone seen deathly hallows pt 2 in IMAX 3d?

Hello everyone. I've seen deathly hallows pt. 2 in 3d and I really enjoyed it, however I am considering seeing it again in IMAX 3d. Has anyone seen the film in imax 3d? What was your take on it? Was the image clear or was it grainy? i'd like to know before I buy tickets. Thanks!

Old July 29th, 2011, 6:10 am
Third Year

For the most part, the effects were really good (especially the dragon at Gringotts and battle scenes). However, I thought they could've done a bit better with the flower on Lily's hand and Snape's de-aging process during the memories.

I haven't seen it in 3D yet, but I have heard from others that it was dark/shadowy throughout parts of the film. It could've been the problems with the theater, but it sort of turned me against going to see it in 3D.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old July 29th, 2011, 7:02 am
First Year

I watched it in 3-D...don't know if it was IMAX 3D or regular because the theatre I went to was introducing their new "Mega screen" and showed all 8 movies back to back. I didn't know going there that we were going to get to see it in 3-D and they never said IMAX the day off. I liked that they didn't overuse the 3-D (doing something for the sake of it being in 3-D like throwing things 'at' the audience), but I do have to agree the affect for the Imperius curse was a bit.."meh" for me

Old July 31st, 2011, 9:09 pm
Second Year

Re: Has anyone seen deathly hallows pt 2 in IMAX 3d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella000 View Post
Hello everyone. I've seen deathly hallows pt. 2 in 3d and I really enjoyed it, however I am considering seeing it again in IMAX 3d. Has anyone seen the film in imax 3d? What was your take on it? Was the image clear or was it grainy? i'd like to know before I buy tickets. Thanks!
I saw it in IMAX 3D. It was the first feature film I'd seen in IMAX, so I was a little hesitant, for the reasons you mentioned. But the image was clear, not grainy. I didn't see it in regular 3D, though, so I don't know if there will be enough of a difference to make the expense worth it.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 3:50 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapes_Girl View Post
For the most part, the effects were really good (especially the dragon at Gringotts and battle scenes). However, I thought they could've done a bit better with the flower on Lily's hand and Snape's de-aging process during the memories.

I haven't seen it in 3D yet, but I have heard from others that it was dark/shadowy throughout parts of the film. It could've been the problems with the theater, but it sort of turned me against going to see it in 3D.
If you can, see a digital projection 3D. I saw it first in a digital projection and thought the 3D looked great, and then a few days later saw it on a regular projection 3D and thought it looked terrible.I don't remember any shadows, but there was one scene, at Shell Cottage, where the trio are in the hallway talking that was pretty dim. I'm sure it was partly done by design by the film makers, but when I saw a regular (non 3D projection) at the midnight showing, I thought that scene was lighter.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:12 am
First Year

i saw the film in real 3D and i thought it was one of the best real 3D films i have ever seen. the dragon scene actually made me jump back. i felt like coughing when the pieces of voldemort came floating up from the screen : P
those were the two scenes that really stand out in my memory for being really excellent conversions to 3D.

"You don't understand -- there are things worth dying for!"

Pottermore: IceNight
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:30 am
First Year

i saw it in standard 2D the first time then saw it in IMAX 3D. I personally dont think it was worth it. There were a few choice shots that were pretty cool looking but I dont think it added much at all to the movie. I definitely preferred the 2D showing.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 7:05 am
First Year

I might go see it for a 5th time tonight.. I'm tempted to watch it in 2d for a change.. is there any difference besides the 3d effect? is it still as good in 2d?

edit: I answered my own question.. i saw it tonight in 2d and some scenes are noticeably extended i loved it....

Pottermore Beta Tester!

Name: UnicornQuill
House: Slytherin
Wand: Laurel Wood with Unicorn Core 12 1/4 inches... Surprisingly Swishy

Last edited by Severus4everus; August 2nd, 2011 at 1:08 pm. Reason: saw the movie in 2d
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:23 pm
First Year

My daughter and I were considering not seeing the movie in 3D. We were concerned it would be overkill and would move to quickly through the scene. I remember my daughter didn't care for parts of Avatar just because of how difficult she found it to follow in 3D.

However, much to our surprise, we were pleased with the reduced amount of "over the top" effects that were used in the final movie. Looking forward to seeing in 2D to determine which we enjoyed more.

Old August 4th, 2011, 11:40 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus4everus View Post
.. i saw it tonight in 2d and some scenes are noticeably extended i loved it....
Really? What scenes? I didn't notice this.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies