Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Will the movies endure the test of time, or be forgotten once the books finish?

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:17 pm
First Year

Will the movies endure the test of time, or be forgotten once the books finish?

I know that now HP is making box office records, but I doubt it will last when the 7th movie premires. Why? Because all the books will be gone. I only watch the movies to fill in the time between the books, and I bet thousands agree with me. The movies before book 7 will be great, but many (me very likely included) would think: "Huh, what's the point?"
So I think that filmakers will aknoledge this, and will try to cram in movies 5 and 6 before book 7 appears. Then the whole movies will disintagrate.

Wizard Wheezes- A Harry Potter Parody site
"These are nice curtains. Set them on fire in my first year... by accident, of cource." -Dumbledore, GOF Movie
"No matter where you go, you will always find fools in the world."
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:20 pm
First Year

What you lack to understand is that many fans don't read the books, they just watch the movies, which is a lot easier on many people. Some people don't have the time to sit down and read a 900 page book, so instead they go see a two and a half hour movie.

Also, many fans like myself actually enjoy the movies (although I'm disappointed with GOF). The movie for book 7 will probably be awesome because there is only so much you can say with words. It will surely break records again.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:24 pm
First Year

hm, but it's a fascinating story, quite atractive for filmakers. So I think it will attach they attention also few decades after.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:29 pm
Second Year

I think the films will still be watched but i agree in thinking their a way of killin time between books

The Great Sogeking-Sama Approves This Message
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:30 pm
First Year

I know that I will still be excted about the films even when the books have ended. The story is just amazing and if I look at the movies as completely seperate from the books then the experience of watching the movies can excite me by themselves.

<A HREF="http://sorting-hat.com" target="_blank">I'm
a Gryffindor!</A>
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnighterWitch
I don't think they will. I think when all the books are done, the only thing that will be left of Harry Potter is the movies and I feel that's what fans will be clinging too, including me.
I completely agree with that statement. When the books are done all of the fans will be sad to see them finnished. Many, including myself, will look to the movies as the only thing that is left for the HP legacy to truly be completed. And when the 7th movie has been made we'll look to that with sadness and head off to read the books again...

He knows he looks good
Many thanks to Mickella for the wonderful custom sig!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:38 pm
Second Year

I disagree. I think if they keep making movies as great as GoF, the movies will just keep braking box office records. I know I'll still care about them long after the books have all been written. I think the movies will continue being very popular for many years to come.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:40 pm
Second Year

I doubt it. It's just films. Why would people not want to watch them even if they know the end of the HP story? And of course it will be the only thing we can expect after the 7th book comes out.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:44 pm
Fourth Year

When I'm done reading book 7, I will be anxiously awaiting Films 6 and 7.

SPLISH SPLASH HARRY'S TAKING' A BATH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you doing, Potter?" said Snape coldly as ever, as he strode over to the four of them.
"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy, sir," said Harry fiercely.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:50 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

I don't think it will hurt the film for book 7 when all the books are out. I mean, there are plenty of people who've read the books before seeing the movies to begin with, and also plenty who think the movies are pretty darn good. Even factoring in those fans who don't like the movies that much, I doubt the numbers will change too significantly. I'd need to watch it just for closure, honestly. I've read all six books so far, and I've loved all the movies too. It's certainly not a way to kill time between book releases for me - I'm more of a movie lover in general anyway.

Hang on, let's rephrase that: I don't think the movies are any better than the books (quite the contrary), but I love films in general, and I think these are incredibly well-made. So I've always looked forward to the film adaptations with just as much excitement as the midnight book release parties.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:07 am
First Year

I don't think so

Honestly, I think the true Harry Potter fans will still go to see the movies after the 7th book, I know I will still love the movies and go to see the last 3. I don't think if the books are done that the movies will not succeed.

Last edited by Potter_7_GOF; November 23rd, 2005 at 12:14 am. Reason: Didn't like my font
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:11 am
Second Year

I don't think it will.

There is a whole group of folks out there who have never read the books nor are they interested in the books. I think the movie will cater to them and to those who enjoy watching a movie based on what they've read.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:51 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMember152
I know that now HP is making box office records, but I doubt it will last when the 7th movie premires. Why? Because all the books will be gone. I only watch the movies to fill in the time between the books, and I bet thousands agree with me. The movies before book 7 will be great, but many (me very likely included) would think: "Huh, what's the point?"
So I think that filmakers will aknoledge this, and will try to cram in movies 5 and 6 before book 7 appears. Then the whole movies will disintagrate.
Given that the vast majority of ticket buyers haven't read the books, your point makes no sense.

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old November 23rd, 2005, 1:20 am
Fourth Year

I disagree. I will also cling on to anything left of the Harry Potter Franchise! I think that Movie 7 might even do better than some of the previous movies, just beacuse of all of the hype! Maybe by then more people will have read the books, making an increased demand for theatre viewings.

Also, it will be the last one, and everyone will want to find out what happened to Harry Potter!

Old November 23rd, 2005, 1:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMember152
i think the complete opposite will happen.
lets beak it down, shall we?
there are basically two types of fans who attend the movies...those who are harry potter freaks and have read the books more times than they've taken breahts and those who have never touched the book and never plan to but just love the movies (now, i am not saying these are the only people who attend, but the mass amount none the less). figuring on this alone would suggest the complete oppostie would happen to what you're saying.
the people who never touched the book will keep on coming because, well the books just don't matter to them...
and the people who breath harry potter will show up in record numbers numerous times because the books are no longer there for them (well they are, but the end is hard to take) and the only harry potter spirit left will be the movies.
i can say this for certain...i am going to see all of them at least 3 times...

Old November 23rd, 2005, 1:35 am
First Year

I don't think so. If I don't see all the books as movies, I'll be mad.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 1:53 am
Banned

There is so much ownage in this thread, I have decided to give it a Weasley Twins Approved Stamp of Ownage.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 1:58 am
First Year

They dont really have to get the movies out before book 7. Why would they do that? Like a bunch of people have already said I think they should spit the movies. Trying to stuff everything from OotP into one movie will be REALLY bad and people will get mad. But I have loved all the movies and I'm hoping they wont screw up the next one.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 2:01 am
First Year

I don't think they will die. I mean true the readers watch the movies to fill the time but I know a lot of people who only see the movies because they can't be bothered reading the books. Also it may be my opinion only but I enjoy the movies. It is kind of nice to compare your picture of everything it the books to someone elses.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 2:07 am
Third Year

I know that i will continue watching the movies so i can remember how good it was- especially when i dont feel like reading.

"Not this brave at night, are you?" sneered Dudley.
"This is night, Diddykins. That's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."

Malfoy: "Who blacked your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers."

Look how young they were then, Compared to now *rupert=hot*
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies