Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Will the movies endure the test of time, or be forgotten once the books finish?



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 2:20 am
kjty2k  Undisclosed.gif kjty2k is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5247 days
Location: In a dream somewhere....
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriano329
What you lack to understand is that many fans don't read the books, they just watch the movies, which is a lot easier on many people. Some people don't have the time to sit down and read a 900 page book, so instead they go see a two and a half hour movie.
Fair point...time is always an issue, we don't have time for this, and we don't have time for that, but what really dictats what we have time for and what we don't? Sure, people have busy lives, get up, go to work, get home from work, make dinner, eat dinner, watch tv, and go to bed. What about the time they spend watching TV? It's not the lack of time really, it's the lack of intrest, and that's why people (no offense) who havn't read the books at all aren't really TRUE BLUE Harry Potter fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soriano329
Also, many fans like myself actually enjoy the movies (although I'm disappointed with GOF). The movie for book 7 will probably be awesome because there is only so much you can say with words. It will surely break records again.
I greatly enjoy the movies. I think they are the best things Harry Potter since the books. But I think that you are sorely mistaken when you say that there is only so much that you can say with words. Words are everything! Words define who we are, what we do, what makes Order of the Pheonix 872 (?) pages long? WORDS! Sure, actions are great, but how can can you define them without words?


__________________
"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young."

Albus Dumbledore, Order of the Pheonix




Random Fact: When the Dursleys and Harry were fleeing from "the Letters From No One" they ate stale cornflakes and cold tinned tomatoes on toast for breakfast.
I share a birthday with Molly Weasley!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 2:52 am
Syani  Female.gif Syani is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5137 days
Location: Oi with the poodles already!
Age: 30
Posts: 54
You have to realize that a majority of Harry Potter fans today merely watch the movies. My cousin for example refuses to read the books, she has them all, but she refuses to read them because they would take up too much time. I also think that fans like myself love the books just as much as the movies. Plus don't forget all of the Radcliffe/Grint/Watson fans out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjty2k
I greatly enjoy the movies. I think they are the best things Harry Potter since the books. But I think that you are sorely mistaken when you say that there is only so much that you can say with words. Words are everything! Words define who we are, what we do, what makes Order of the Pheonix 872 (?) pages long? WORDS! Sure, actions are great, but how can can you define them without words?
Words make the story amazing, actions just make the story great.


Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 2:55 am
Quibble  Male.gif Quibble is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5127 days
Location: California
Age: 28
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriano329
What you lack to understand is that many fans don't read the books, they just watch the movies, which is a lot easier on many people. Some people don't have the time to sit down and read a 900 page book, so instead they go see a two and a half hour movie.

Also, many fans like myself actually enjoy the movies (although I'm disappointed with GOF). The movie for book 7 will probably be awesome because there is only so much you can say with words. It will surely break records again.


I toally agree. I personally feel that the last movie will probalbly be the box office hit for all the movies. I myself am planning on going to the England Premier..Just for the sake of it.


Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 2:56 am
gryffindor622  Female.gif gryffindor622 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5127 days
Location: Minnesota
Age: 29
Posts: 30
When the book series ends I'm going to need the movies to have something to look foward to since I don't have the books to look foward to once they have ended.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 4:05 am
Desraelda's Avatar
Desraelda  Female.gif Desraelda is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 5425 days
Location: FlahDah
Posts: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnighterWitch
I don't think they will. I think when all the books are done, the only thing that will be left of Harry Potter is the movies and I feel that's what fans will be clinging too, including me.
That's exactly how I feel.


Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 4:06 am
SiriusSpells  Male.gif SiriusSpells is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5204 days
Location: Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place
Age: 29
Posts: 616
Not for a while.


__________________
I Can't Wait For Book 7!

Sirius died for a reason

The wisest men follow their own direction. - Euripides

Share your favorite quote: Favorite Quote
Muggle Pants Potter Puppets Song


Help Links
Search Engine | CoS Rules | Hogsmeade Review Guidelines | CoS Forums Staff | Signature Content Policy | Search Engine Tutorial
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 4:57 am
lupislune's Avatar
lupislune  Male.gif lupislune is offline
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.
 
Joined: 5639 days
Location: Under the trees
Posts: 1,656
I don't think that they will die per se. I think people will cling to them as there is no more Harry Potter books, similar to what MidnighterWitch and Desraelda has said. I also think that the movies will spike in popularity slightly after Book 7 comes out because of this. I do think Movie 7 will be far less popular than the others, if the plot line does is not something that fans don't want to see. I don't think that they will ever become a flop, however. The fandom is too strong.


__________________
Peeves wuz here!


Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.


Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 5:45 am
prsonrofazkaban  Male.gif prsonrofazkaban is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5164 days
Posts: 69
give me a break. Potter has a fan base that was established before the movies came out.

Would YOU see Potter 7 the movie even though the books are complete. Bet you a buck you will.


Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 7:20 am
Scamantha  Female.gif Scamantha is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5169 days
Location: I Don't Know Anymore I'm Lost
Age: 39
Posts: 323
Are you kidding Harry is the next Star Wars entertaining generations to come!!!!


__________________
join ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
"Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus,"
"A sleeping dragon [is] never to be tickled/poked."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 7:46 am
The_Auror  Female.gif The_Auror is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5129 days
Location: under the shadow
Age: 49
Posts: 47
I disagree. The Lord of the Rings books had been finished for decades, yet the movies were still smash hits.


Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 7:59 am
bllatrix712  Female.gif bllatrix712 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5134 days
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Age: 35
Posts: 139
I was such a wreck waiting for the fourh movie, I can only imagine my state when I am waiting for movies 5, 6 and 7. Especially once the book series comes to a close, that will be all that we have left to look forward to. Atleast while I was waiting for GoF, I had 6 books to hold me over.


__________________

Draco's girl through and through

"You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for 'the Chosen Captain'-- 'The Boy Who Scored'-- whatever they call you these days."
-Draco Malfoy

"You're a prefect? Oh Ronnie! That's everyone in the family!" [Molly Weasley]
'What are Fred and I? Next door neighbours?"


I am 88.3% certain that DIATSSISE is fact... check it ya'll
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 8:04 am
Damini  Female.gif Damini is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5128 days
Location: Canada
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syani
You have to realize that a majority of Harry Potter fans today merely watch the movies. My cousin for example refuses to read the books, she has them all, but she refuses to read them because they would take up too much time.
Kind of off topic - but why would you have books if you don't read?

I would def. see the movies - I like to see the film adaption of what's in my mind. It doesn't take away from the books to me when I let go of the fact that it won't be the same. As far as time to read? Anyone has time if they enjoy reading. I complain all the time - but then I'll sit and read a book in one sitting - I read OoTP in one day - and I worked an 9 hr work day that day. Just came home and read until I was done (stopped for dinner but that was about it) - no TV that nite - big deal. The films will never hold candles to what is in your mind - but it's interesting to see others interpretations of what's on the page.


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 9:36 am
Fantasy Moon  Female.gif Fantasy Moon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5994 days
Location: Twilight Zone
Posts: 412
The anticipation for the films will still be a big thing. Look at how much the LotR fans were drooling.


__________________


Would you kill the spider to save the butterfly?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 1:34 pm
Dashriprock  Female.gif Dashriprock is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5754 days
Location: Oregon
Age: 36
Posts: 185
I certainly hope the film-makers' mindset isn't to "cram in movies 6 and 7 before book 7"! And I really don't think the movie are going to flop after the books are all out. I will be very sad once Book 7 comes out and Harry Potter is Over, but I will still adore the movies.


__________________
i like switchfoot.
Proud member of the Hugs for Harry Association.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 1:47 pm
blue3ski's Avatar
blue3ski  Female.gif blue3ski is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5261 days
Location: In the loving arms of the Lord
Age: 31
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMember152
I know that now HP is making box office records, but I doubt it will last when the 7th movie premires. Why? Because all the books will be gone. I only watch the movies to fill in the time between the books, and I bet thousands agree with me. The movies before book 7 will be great, but many (me very likely included) would think: "Huh, what's the point?"
So I think that filmakers will aknoledge this, and will try to cram in movies 5 and 6 before book 7 appears. Then the whole movies will disintagrate.
I highly doubt this. Many of those who watch the movies do not read the books and look forward to geting the story through the films. Also, the hype would build up even more because, like many have said, it would be the last piece of Harry Potter to look forward to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjty2k
Fair point...time is always an issue, we don't have time for this, and we don't have time for that, but what really dictats what we have time for and what we don't? Sure, people have busy lives, get up, go to work, get home from work, make dinner, eat dinner, watch tv, and go to bed. What about the time they spend watching TV? It's not the lack of time really, it's the lack of intrest, and that's why people (no offense) who havn't read the books at all aren't really TRUE BLUE Harry Potter fans.
I don't think this is a fair generalization. There really are those who hate reading--but really love the series all the same through the movies.


__________________


"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 2:04 pm
nano  Female.gif nano is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5555 days
Location: Germany
Age: 44
Posts: 405
First of all I will definitely have to watch the movies, even if I wouldn't want to, as my daughter wants to watch them - she has not read the books yet and I think it will still be a while befor she has the patience to do so (she is 9)

Secondly - when all the films are out I can see Harry Potter Ventions coming up - like a weekend event, where you pay one price and get to see all 7 films - something like with Starwars or Star Trek

I can just imagine loads of 'Pottians' tracking down to the movies dressed as witches or wizards, or something else out of the movies - and the actors also coming to such events (unless their stardom carries on after the films and becomes greater than it is now)


Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 3:17 pm
Tim the Wiz  Male.gif Tim the Wiz is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 6170 days
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Auror
The Lord of the Rings books had been finished for decades, yet the movies were still smash hits.
This thread should have stopped here, because there really ain't much else to say...


__________________
"Being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old August 10th, 2006, 1:15 am
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is online now
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 5275 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,158
Re: The Movies will die when the books are done.

I think that when book 7 has finally been released instead of dying, the movies will grow even more popular because of the reason that MidnighterWitch gave us - the movies will be all that is left for HP fans. Therefore people will be more into the movies than ever. After book 7 is released all the fans have to look forward to are the movies, and since the last two movies will probably be the most anticipated anyway they will be even more anticipated with the books finally gone.


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old August 10th, 2006, 3:47 am
I_love_HP  Female.gif I_love_HP is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4867 days
Location: In my own little world
Posts: 305
Re: The Movies will die when the books are done.

I think that after the books are finished the movies will be all fans have left. They will all want to watch the movies to get their Harry fix.


__________________
^ --- ^
\ 0 0 /
{ * }

Sirius Black may be dead, but Padfoot can live forever if you copy him into your signature.


Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders! Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders! Add this to your signature to join!

Snape knew Sirius was innocent and still let him rot in Azkaban - another reason to hate him.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old August 10th, 2006, 3:53 am
iheartharry15  Female.gif iheartharry15 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4911 days
Location: in Gryffindor Tower
Posts: 65
Re: The Movies will die when the books are done.

I don't think the movies will die, because since the books are over, there will still be the movies for the harry fans, like me.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:17 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.