Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Hufflepuff House: Group Character Analysis

Old July 25th, 2008, 6:44 am
Banned

Re: Hufflepuff House: Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post
... They'd feel they had to stand by whoever and whatever was fighting Voldie and the Ministry as taken over by the Death Eaters and Umbridge.

They are definitely not pushovers. Like the reed in the fable, they may bend, but they don't break, they don't give in, they don't give up. They hold on like the badger on their House crest.
Truer words were never spoken.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 2:56 pm
Second Year

1. Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?

I think you have to be loyal and brave, such as a Gryffindor, but I think they acknowledge qualities such as pride and dignity more. They want them to be proud, kind of like Amos Diggory was to Cedric.

2. Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?

No, I think you have to have the qualities that are required to be a Hufflepuff. I think that there are very few cases where there isn't a house where you belong to be sorted into.

Old August 4th, 2008, 12:06 am
First Year

1. I actually believe that placement in Hufflepuff is based on a lack of one single, salient quality. Gryffindor is, of course, bravery; Ravenclaw is wisdom; Slytherin is cunning. I'm well aware that Hufflepuff is, allegedly, loyalty, but I feel that there is an existing abundance of this in Gryffindor. Hufflepuff, therefore, must be based upon muted, subtler versions of these three characteristics. Additionally, it appears to me that while a Gryffindor (think Sirius and James) would be willing to break the rules for, as they see it, the greater good, I do not believe a Hufflepuff would be as readily willing to do so. (This is starting to sound a bit like pre-DH Neville... especially in PS.)

2. Oh, I accidentally already answered this one. I don't really believe that students are outwardly Hufflepuff in the same way as the other three houses; its always been the one house I never thought I would fit in.

3. It appears I have answered this as well. The trio in both PS and CoS as juxtaposed with Neville.

4. Earth is humble, not flashy, and typically not grandiose or magnificent. But it is a necessity and a resource. Likewise, Hufflepuff students, while the least likely to become famous or brilliant, are nonetheless important, because they perform the more medial, modest jobs.

5. Throughout the Harry Potter series, magic is used to deonstrate one's personality (What would be your Boggart, Patronus, Erised reflection, etc...?). Perhaps this is some kind of statement on the magic of self-knowledge. More likely, however, is that I am overreaching a bit here.

6. Only that Neville, finally, has lived up to his Gryffindor sorting by killing Nagini and being brave.

Old August 4th, 2008, 12:29 pm
Fifth Year

I think Hufflepuff are more worthy of respect then any of the other houses.They are constantly overlooked by people as sadly most of the time quiet people of strong values are.Slytherin was openly biased against certain students,namely those not of pure blood.But in a small way so were the others,Gryffindor favoured the brave,Ravenclaw the intelligent,only Hufflepuff had no criteria for teching,as is said in the song' I'll take the rest and teach them all I know'(or something to that effect).They are the most accepting of the houses.

Old August 4th, 2008, 5:31 pm
Third Year

1. Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?
I actually don't know, I always kind of thought Hufflepuffs were more, complex, if thats the word, than the other houses, with the other three houses there is a specific something one has to be, but Hufflepuff doesn't seem to have just one.

2. Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case?
Depends how you look at it, maybe it's for those who fit into all the houses, nit none. They are brave and loyal like Gryffindor, smart like Ravenclaw and probably determined like Slytherin. I think it's a house for people who don't have one of those charecteristics dominant, but they still have them.
Like with Cedric being chosen for the Triwizard tournement, you'd think a Gryffindor would be more likely being brave and all, but he was really brave too.

3. What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?
I don't think Hufflepuff are as competative, not as much as Gryffindor and Slytherin anyway. I don't think they would hold much of a grudge.

4. What are the significance of Earth and the Badger to Hufflepuff?
Maybe that they are balanced, like a balance of each characteristic from all houses, which is why they are Hufflepuff.

5. What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?
I dont know. Maybe she made Hufflepuff because there always seems to be something that stays in the background, its not mentioned as much as the others, but its still there, a but more mysterious I think than the others, because you can only really see it's surface, if you dig a little deeper (lol badger pun) then I think Hufflepuff's have a lot more to them.

6. What new thoughts do you have on Hufflepuff post DH?
Pretty much the same. They are brave and loyal and still quite misunderstood.

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:18 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I think loyalty is the predominant Hufflepuff quality. Sure, it's part of Gryffindor, but it's not the main characteristic where as it is in Hufflepuff. Having loyalty isn't going to get you into Hufflepuff, but having an abundance of it and counting it as a defining characteristic for you will.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:36 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaBlack View Post
Maybe that they are balanced, like a balance of each characteristic from all houses, which is why they are Hufflepuff.
I think that's a pretty accurate statement, though I do think that Hufflepuff has its own qualities associated with it. In general, I think Helga Hufflepuff was probably the most balanced of the Four Founders, especially given that she was the least discriminatory. Hufflepuffs seem to be the most pragmatic and down-to-Earth of the four houses - appropriate since they are represented by the badger.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 6th, 2008, 9:35 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I think that's a pretty accurate statement, though I do think that Hufflepuff has its own qualities associated with it. In general, I think Helga Hufflepuff was probably the most balanced of the Four Founders, especially given that she was the least discriminatory. Hufflepuffs seem to be the most pragmatic and down-to-Earth of the four houses - appropriate since they are represented by the badger.
I agree. Hufflepuff's most popular student during Harry's days, Cedric, had all these characteristics. He was modest and kind but he was also exceptionally talented and competitive, which showed that Hufflepuffs can display greatness. As I see it, Hufflepuff house isn't as extreme as the other houses. Hufflepuffs want to distinguish themselves but not at all costs.

Old August 9th, 2008, 7:00 am
Second Year

I think that hufflepuffs get overlooked a lot and very much moreso than the other houses. I think they are one of the best houses. I mean Ernie Macmillan was the first to stand up to stay and i think he is a great character. And Cedric, well is just Cedric. He would be a great minister of magic. Also ernie would be good too.

(No picture avalible at this time because that is the way i do things)
Old August 9th, 2008, 7:58 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpkid421 View Post
I think that hufflepuffs get overlooked a lot and very much moreso than the other houses. I think they are one of the best houses. I mean Ernie Macmillan was the first to stand up to stay and i think he is a great character. And Cedric, well is just Cedric. He would be a great minister of magic. Also ernie would be good too.
I couldn't agree more.

As to "Cedric for Minister", I've just signed in on your campaign for his nomination. Will be owling you about it, as it is slightly off-topic.

Old August 9th, 2008, 9:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpkid421 View Post
I'm not so sure about Ernie. A bit too obnoxious. But Cedric, definitely.

You may look among the posters in this thread for potential supporters of Cedric's candidacy for Minister.

Old August 10th, 2008, 1:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Visitor View Post
I'm not so sure about Ernie. A bit too obnoxious. But Cedric, definitely.

You may look among the posters in this thread for potential supporters of Cedric's candidacy for Minister.
I know Ernie was fairly pompous, but I was really impressed that of all the students (including brave Gryffindors) a Hufflepuff, Ernie was the first to voice the students' wish to stay and fight. Plus, he admittted he was wrong in CoS, (about accusing someone of attempted murder, no less), which was a difficult thing to do, but the right one. Announced his support for Harry in OotP (okay, in a very pompous manner), but it was a dangerous climate to do that in, with Umbridge stalking the corridors.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:11 pm
Second Year

I quite like Hufflepuff house and I feel it is redeemed rather underrated. I feel to be a Hufflepuff you don't have to have any stereotypical characteristics like the other three, I feel it's more the way you want to lead your life more than your personality. It is just the easy going house where they want to achieve a mixture of all things to make their life at Hogwarts successful which happens to be friendship, loyalty, hard-work etc.. I don't see myself as a Hufflepuff as I'm far too complex

*one night of magic rush*
Old October 9th, 2008, 1:07 am
Second Year

I think that Hufflepuffs are loyal, brave, kind, patint, and derermined.

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old October 9th, 2008, 3:49 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nympfadora13 View Post
I think that Hufflepuffs are loyal, brave, kind, patient, and determined.
They are all that, and more. They're tenacious, clever and fair-minded. They're the best friends and partners to have.

And if you think that, you should seriously consider joining the campaign to elect the best Hufflepuff of them all - Cedric Diggory!

Don't forget that Dumbledore himself said "Remember Cedric Diggory!"

You may want to check out our TV ad/video clip (the first on the - currently - last page of the Prophet Debates.)

Old October 9th, 2008, 3:52 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Well, I'd say tenacious and clever describe Slytherin and Ravenclaw, respectively.

But fairminded, sure.

Not to say that individual Hufflepuffs cannot have such traits, of course, just as people in other Houses can have traits from Huflepuff. (Tons of HP characters were loyal, for example).

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 9th, 2008, 7:02 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
Well, I'd say tenacious and clever describe Slytherin and Ravenclaw, respectively.

But fairminded, sure.

Not to say that individual Hufflepuffs cannot have such traits, of course, just as people in other Houses can have traits from Huflepuff. (Tons of HP characters were loyal, for example).
I dunno, I'm not so sure about "tenacious" for Slytherin. They're more cunning and devious, whereas Hufflepuffs are Badgers, they just don't let go. And they don't care about getting somewhere first, as long as they get there together.

Of course Ravenclaw are smart and witty, doesn't mean Hufflepuffs can't be clever. Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott, Justin Finch-Fetchley, not to mention Cedric, all seem well-endowed with brains.

I agree with you, however, that any given House doesn't have an exclusive on such or such a trait. Slytherins can be smart and brave, and Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors can at times be as devious as they come.

The one Hufflepuff trait that neither Gryffindor nor Slytherin seem to have is fair-play to the point of not caring about winning. You don't imagine a Gryff or a Slyth doing what Cedric did - ask for a rematch after he has caught the Golden Snitch when he realized Harry had fallen off his broom, or walk away from the Triwizard Cup when he had it within reach. Would that Harry hadn't talked him into grabbing the Cup together!!

Old October 9th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Second Year

Quote:
The one Hufflepuff trait that neither Gryffindor nor Slytherin seem to have is fair-play to the point of not caring about winning. You don't imagine a Gryff or a Slyth doing what Cedric did - ask for a rematch after he has caught the Golden Snitch when he realized Harry had fallen off his broom, or walk away from the Triwizard Cup when he had it within reach. Would that Harry hadn't talked him into grabbing the Cup together!!
I agree that the Hufflepufs are nice and more fair than the other houses.I think that the Hufflepufs play for the fun of playing while other houses just want to win!

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old October 9th, 2008, 10:53 pm
First Year

I think that normally they are hard-working and loyal.With the exception of people like Zachiarias Smith.

[/i]
2. Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?
The thing is that most of being skilled is about hard work rather than being naturally able. Someone like Cedric could have been chosen for the tournament because he worked really hard to achieve those skills. So I would say that to be in Hufflepuff you need to be hard-working. Maybe Zacharias Smith wasn't but then again Peter Pettigrew (a Gryfindor) was hardly brave was he?

3. What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?
They are less rash the the Gryfindors, they probably wouldn't have gone around the castle like Harry with the invisibility cloak, care more about others than the Slytherins and are more loyal than the ravenclaws, I think someone else said that they took what Dumbledore said to heart about not letting Cedric's memory go in vain. I also don't think someone like Luna would be bullied as much had she been in Hufflepuff.

Down to earth people , badgers live in the earth -part of the whole earthy imagery
5. What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?
Split into classes probably just because that is what many high schools do in the UK. I thin Hufflepuff was a way of showing that average people who work hard can achieve extraordinary things - like Cedric did.

very impressed about how many of them stayed to fight - very brave and loyal -possibly because of Cedric -for them it was personal

Old October 20th, 2008, 4:13 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Loyalty and the ability to think of others' feelings too. The Hufflepuffs are in my opinion, the most underrated House, and like Cedric, Tonks and several others have shown, a Hufflepuff is as good as any other. A Hufflepuff is not dull or dim witted but is chosen because he is a bit of all the other groups- ie, brave to a certain extent, clever to a level, proud as well.

No. Like I've explained before- Hufflepuff is a collection of people with all characters that are required by the other houses, in correct proportions.

Exhibit A: Cedric Diggory. Now, you could hardly qualify Cedric as someone who didnt fit into other houses, he was just such a perfect mixture of all the characters that Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin require. And thats what makes Hufflepuffs much better moulded individuals since they have a bit of everything.

Some Gryffindors are Brave to the point of foolishness and have a "saving people" thing. But I guess Hufflepuffs would rather think and then decide their action plan according to what suits the scenario that they find themselves in.

Probably to show that they are good hearted, down-to-earth people who arent flashy, but certainly firm and trustworthy.

I guess she wanted to split them to characterise them. For instance, after reading PS, everyone had this opinon- All Gryffindors are brave, all Slytherins are evil-like we find later, this is not exactly true. Like Dumbledore says " Sometimes I think we sort too fast.." I'd agree

But from a literary point of view, I'm guessing that JKR made the houses to show that though there may be a dominant characteristic per student, it is their choices and how they cultivate their personality that matters.

Making Hufflepuff House was to prove that people considered "normal' , "boring" or "dull" are not actually so. I'm pretty sure, she created Cedric and made him from Hufflepuff just to prove that. Hufflepuff House , IMHO, is the best house from a literary point of view and all credit to JKR for that

I've always had a lot of respect for Hufflepuffs and DH just goes to reinforce that point.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; October 20th, 2008 at 4:18 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References