Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Ravenclaw House: Group Character Analysis

Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:21 pm
Second Year

Re: Ravenclaw House: Group Character Analysis

It appears that Ravenclaw is a resting place for highly intelligent students that lack qualities that Slytherin or Gryffindor would select as in the case of Severus Snape and Hermione. What might be an example of someone almost chosen for one of the other houses but was placed in Ravenclaw?

I think intelligence comes in different forms. It's not just knowing lots of different facts and showing off how much you know, it's how you value what you know, the way you see things, the way you think things through. You could be at the bottom of the class but you could think about life differently than to most others, realise things others don't, learn from situations and mistakes and become emotionally intelligent. I think that could get you into Ravenclaw. Luna has been known to call Hermione close minded because Hermione reads things and believes what she's read as facts and doesn't think outside the box.. if you let your mind stretch that further mind then you can discover things other people don't.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Ravenclaws would decide differently?

Well I think a Ravenclaw would think before they spoke/acted. I think they would be less impulsive than a Gryffindor or Slytherin. I think they would also like to know exactly what they're getting themselves into before taking a risk.

What new thoughts do you have on Ravenclaw post DH?

I loved the common room scene and I imagine what it would look like more clearly than ever, very ornate and detailed. I loved the idea of the riddle asking knocker. It has infact made me want to write Ravenclaw based Fan Fiction.. don't know if it already exists

*one night of magic rush*
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcatsmeow View Post
Is there a predominant quality that a Ravenclaw must have in order to be a Ravenclaw?

I think the predominate quality for Ravenclaws is a love of ideas, and understanding. Wanting not just to know something but also to understand it. I think when Ravenclaws look at the world they focus on what is not known, what has yet to be discovered, not on what has already been explained.
Exactly. Ravenclaws also look at ideas that have already been "decided" and rethink them. They don't accept foundation principles; they are curious and question everything. Ravenclaws, IMO, step outside of the box and look from a third person perspective, trying to understand beyond their own limitations, opinions, and comfort zones... cliche as it sounds.

Quote:
It appears that Ravenclaw is a resting place for highly intelligent students that lack qualities that Slytherin or Gryffindor would select as in the case of Severus Snape and Hermione. What might be an example of someone almost chosen for one of the other houses but was placed in Ravenclaw?

I would not say that Ravenclaws lack the qualities of either Gryffindor, Slytherin or Hufflepuff, merely that they have different values. For instance we see some very brave Ravenclaws through out the series. There is obviously Luna, who went the the DOM in book 5, was one of the first to fight in the first battle of Hogwarts in book 6, and who fought fiercely and bravely in book 7. Then we also have the fact that characters like Cho came back to Hogwarts to fight in book 7; and that Micheal Corner who bravely tried to free the first years in DH only to tortured for his trouble.
I agree, absoutely. Ravenclaws are brave as any, but often use brain before brawn, in addition to thinking about things in a different way. No opinion, fact, or statement is concrete. Everything can be seen in multiple ways.

Quote:
I think that if Hermione had been born into the Wizarding World she may well have been a Ravenclaw. But as a muggleborn she felt a great need to prove herself and be excepted. Hermione viewed Gryffindor as the best by far the best most prestigious house, it was the house she wanted to be in. Being that she had the qualities for of a Gryffindor, and a Ravenclaw but wanted badly to be in Gryffindor that is where the hat put her.
IMHO, Hermione was too logical and book-oriented to be a Ravenclaw, too. She read something, learned something, or had been hearing something (say, Nargles don't exist?) all her life, and believed it as fact, without any question. As Luna said, Hermione tends to be closed minded at times, though I truly love her character... certain opinions or theories always believed to be true were not to be questioned, and Hermione didn't. Hermione didn't think outside of the box, and trusts logic too much, to be a Ravenclaw.

Quote:
What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Ravenclaws would decide differently?

I think a Ravenclaw would not have stormed the DOM as Harry did. I also tend to think they would have been more likely to expirament with different ways to destroy the Horcruxes. I think if James or Lily had been a Ravenclaw they would have been their own secret keepers. I tend to think that Ravenclaws are less rash, and more curious then Gryffindors.
Though I do think that intuition and impulse streak in every human being (for each individual's time, it depends on the situation), the Ravenclaws did think about things more than the other houses... So I agree with this, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFluerDelacourx View Post
What new thoughts do you have on Ravenclaw post DH? I love how you have to answer a puzzle or question to get into the common room. Though, if you were having a really bad day and thinking of other things it might be tougher to get in your common room.
I loved that too. Only a Ravenclaw could possibly enjoy that door, and Harry's frustration at it proved Gryffindor was his place to be

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old August 24th, 2008, 1:15 am
First Year

I think it's what a few people have mentioned before: People can be suited for more than one of the houses, but it's the quality (or ability) that they value more than others that becomes a deciding factor for where they belong. This was also the case for Harry. He was suited for two houses, but he got what he valued more.

So all in all, the Ravenclaws would be the ones who value intellect over bravery (which can also be considered foolhardy in many cases) and ambition. They would be the ones who would want to understand the nature of things and question that nature, not accept things for what they are. Which also brings me to agree to the point that Hermione was not particularly suited for Ravenclaw due to her limited imagination. I think simply logic would not be the key to belonging in Ravenclaw.

-- Milan Kundera
Old August 25th, 2008, 1:09 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepytigers View Post
So all in all, the Ravenclaws would be the ones who value intellect over bravery (which can also be considered foolhardy in many cases) and ambition.
I think its more that Ravenclaw will try to avoid confrontation as mucha s possible,whereas Gryffindors have no problem with it and may at times even seek it out.Ravenclaw would choose creative problem solving over brute force.I think its unfair to say that Gryffindor are the only brave ones,as the last battle shows.Also not everyone fighting against the dark side were just Gryffindors.The element for Ravenclaw is air,it almost represents them in a sene that they don't get involved with general matters(they like to stay above everything) as much as anyone else and only do so when they feel the need.

Old October 1st, 2008, 1:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Blackcatsmeow;
I think that if Hermione had been born into the Wizarding World she may well have been a Ravenclaw. But as a muggleborn she felt a great need to prove herself and be excepted. Hermione viewed Gryffindor as the best by far the best most prestigious house, it was the house she wanted to be in. Being that she had the qualities for of a Gryffindor, and a Ravenclaw but wanted badly to be in Gryffindor that is where the hat put her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnIllusion View Post
IMHO, Hermione was too logical and book-oriented to be a Ravenclaw, too. She read something, learned something, or had been hearing something (say, Nargles don't exist?) all her life, and believed it as fact, without any question. As Luna said, Hermione tends to be closed minded at times, though I truly love her character... certain opinions or theories always believed to be true were not to be questioned, and Hermione didn't. Hermione didn't think outside of the box, and trusts logic too much, to be a Ravenclaw.
I agree with both of you, a Hermione who didn't feel she had to prove herself could have been in Ravenclaw - as she saw her intelligence as a means to an end, a means to succeed, prove herself worthy of being admitted to Hogwarts, and later to survive dangerous situations. A Ravenclaw would value wisdom and learning for its' own sake.
Plus, Hermione didn't think outside the box, I wonder if she would have become frustrated with the entrance riddle. Hermione didn't believe in things without proof, which eliminated development of new ideas in a way.

Snape, on the other hand, thought outside the box- he disregarded the instructions in "Advance Potion Making" and developed his own ways of brewing potions and inventing powerful spells (Sectumsempra) while still at school. However, this was a means to an end with Snape, too - he didn't develop new spells and improve potions recipes for its' own sake- it was for success, power and achievement. For that reason, (as well as his own wishes) he was sorted into Slytherin, rather than Ravenclaw.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old December 26th, 2008, 3:01 am
Third Year

I think the key for a Ravenclaw is adaptability. While they obviously seek knowledge and have a deep desire to learn, they are also very capable of thinking on their feet, even if it is a little unconventional.

Quote:
Snape, on the other hand, thought outside the box- he disregarded the instructions in "Advance Potion Making" and developed his own ways of brewing potions and inventing powerful spells (Sectumsempra) while still at school. However, this was a means to an end with Snape, too - he didn't develop new spells and improve potions recipes for its' own sake- it was for success, power and achievement. For that reason, (as well as his own wishes) he was sorted into Slytherin, rather than Ravenclaw.
I have to whole heartedly agree with this. I think Snape had the potential to be a great Ravenclaw, except for the fact he felt he needed to be someone better, for lack of a better word. Of course I have to wonder if anything would have changed for Snape if he'd been placed here instead. If he could have realized he was more than he ever thought because of his talent, not because of his ambition.

Old December 26th, 2008, 4:31 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I come in here to discuss Ravenclaw, and discover a Snape discussion. I can't escape him!...not that I want to.

I would agree that many of the HBP's invented Charms were made with a specific goal in mind. Sectumsempra, for example, was created "For Enemies", and it's not a big jump to assume that he invented many of those hexes we see in HBP for the benefit of his Slytherin comrades.

Although perhaps the potions achievements may be an exception. Some of the very first words we hear from Snape are of him waxing poetic about the "subtle science" and "exact art" of potions, and we have nothing (IIRC) to really prove that he made his potions discoveries out of a desire for success. In fact, I have gotten the impression that the Prince was a wee bit frustrated with what he perceived were Libatius Borage's inferior instructions.

Ravenclaw was a possibility for him, but, as we see in TPT, young Snape was an impoverished and neglected little boy who seemed to really want to make something of himself and escape from his unstable home life. That he was sorted into Slytherin is, therefore, not very surprising.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old December 26th, 2008, 4:46 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I come in here to discuss Ravenclaw, and discover a Snape discussion. I can't escape him!...not that I want to.

I would agree that many of the HBP's invented Charms were made with a specific goal in mind. Sectumsempra, for example, was created "For Enemies", and it's not a big jump to assume that he invented many of those hexes we see in HBP for the benefit of his Slytherin comrades.

Although perhaps the potions achievements may be an exception. Some of the very first words we hear from Snape are of him waxing poetic about the "subtle science" and "exact art" of potions, and we have nothing (IIRC) to really prove that he made his potions discoveries out of a desire for success. In fact, I have gotten the impression that the Prince was a wee bit frustrated with what he perceived were Libatius Borage's inferior instructions.

Ravenclaw was a possibility for him, but, as we see in TPT, young Snape was an impoverished and neglected little boy who seemed to really want to make something of himself and escape from his unstable home life. That he was sorted into Slytherin is, therefore, not very surprising.
I highly doubt he made anything to benefit his Slytherin house in that way simply because if he had, I think it would have been common knowledge around that house.

I do have to agree tho that he seemed very frustrated with the instruction he was being given and thus it probably lead him to come up with things on his own, which would, to me, make him perfect for Ravenclaw. But for one flaw....

Exactly what you said... he had the ambition and drive to want to make himself something, or someone else, someone better. I think that's what drove him into Slytherin instead of Ravenclaw.

Old December 26th, 2008, 5:00 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Responded in the Severus Snape: Character Analysis thread.....because I couldn't think of anything Ravenclaw related to say in response.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old July 29th, 2009, 4:36 am
First Year

Is there a predominant quality that a Ravenclaw must have in order to be a Ravenclaw?

I don't think you have to be particular intelligent (though it tends to come with the territory), you just have to possess a strong desire to learn.

I think Luna could have easily been a wonderful Gryffindor. Obviously she's defined by her open mind, but there is also a general lack of fear about her and a real, deep sense of justice. She's a brave, quick-thinking fighter and would have m

I figure they would just weigh their options before sticking their noses into anything, whereas most other houses would get involved either for gain, glory or justice. It's not that they wouldn't fight for what they believe in, I just get the impression that they would keep quiet an observe as much as possible before acting.

What are the significance of Air and the Raven to Ravenclaw?

Well, ravens in mythology are known as messengers, therefore "carrying" more knowledge than the main character of the story. Also, from the sky they have a better view of goings-on and therefore posses a better perspective. They are also known to have a keen eye of all that happens and for the unusual in general. All of these could be symbolic for the seeking and possession of knowledge. Their dependence on air conveys a partnership with it. In astrology,

Quote:
Air personalities tend to be kind, intellectual, communicative, social, and helpful. However, they can also be cold, superficial, impractical and very insensitive to other people's emotions.
What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Ravenclaw House from a literary perspective?

I think this was another way of defining her main characters. Her point was that Harry isn't exceptionally smart and he need not be in order to accomplish his feats. He is recognized as clever, but there doesn't ever seem a desperate desire in him to learn. I think Ravenclaw in particular was crafted after her own heart, as we know she was a lot like Hermione in school.

Proud Ravenclaw!
Old July 29th, 2009, 5:34 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I like History. But, I would not like to be in Ravenclaw, because that doorknocker asking me riddles would drive me bonkers.
I never thought too much about Ravenclaw, probably because they were the smart ones. I thought Luna should have been in Gryffindor. I like the way she thinks differently from other people, but I still pictured her in Gryffindor.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:10 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I like History. But, I would not like to be in Ravenclaw, because that doorknocker asking me riddles would drive me bonkers.
I never thought too much about Ravenclaw, probably because they were the smart ones. I thought Luna should have been in Gryffindor. I like the way she thinks differently from other people, but I still pictured her in Gryffindor.

I would love the doorknocker riddle! When I first read it, I was like -wow! there's so many was to word this!-. Luna valued her independence and strange thoughts over her bravery. Plus I think that part cam a little later.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Luna could have been in Gryffindor, but I think that her values mark her out as a Ravenclaw. She fights because it's the right thing to do, because she wants to stand by her friends, because the fight has come to her. On the other hand, learning and thinking is what she values most, i.e. "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure" I think, that for Luna, this is no idle refrain, but something she genuinely believes. She is reflective and far more insightful than her eccentricity suggests. For that reason, she is far more Ravenclaw than Gryffindor, imo.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I see Percy as the opposite of a Ravenclaw. Narrow minded, accepting the handed down wisdom, judgmental etc. He couldn't think outside the box if it were made of air. No wonder there was no indication that Miss Clearwater stayed with him. She was probably irritated with his stick in the mud ways, for reasons totally different then the Weasleys.
Speaking of which, Ravenclaw Girls probably would be totally into George (and Fred, when not dead) though.
I completely agree! I always thought Percy and Ernie to be in the same boat; pompous, self-righteous, stubborn. For that reason I assumed Percy was more of a Gryffinpuff.

On to the topic- In my opinion, what sets Ravenclaws apart from any other house is that they learn purely for the sake of learning and absorbing something new, while other houses tend to acquire knowledge necessary to accomplish a goal. A Gryffindor would want to better themselves in order to better humanity, Slytherins would want to elevate themselves above the ordinary; thus power. Hufflepuffs would want to make themselves knowledgeable and just, so that they will always make fair and well-conceived decisions.

A true Ravenclaw could die in poverty with no grand deeds to their name, and still have fullfilled themselves if they learned and experienced all that they could.

Man's greatest treasure.

Last edited by civetta; September 26th, 2009 at 12:44 am.
Old September 26th, 2009, 9:34 am
Third Year

Civetta, very well said. A Ravenclaw may be extremely enthuisiastic about learning and logic, yet have no reason why he/she will need it.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

Old September 26th, 2009, 1:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of the Ravenclaws. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Ravenclaw House: Group Character Analysis

I know that this is going to sound weird, but I thought that the bird was an eagle. What I mean to say is, is that I thought that it was a raven, which would symbolize cleverness and RAVENclaw, but then I read somewhere that it was an eagle, which confused me greatly because that would symbolize something more along the lines of power, a more Gryffindor or Slytherin quality. Can someone please clarify this?

As for the significance of Air, I am going to go with others and say that it represents being open-minded and thinking out of the box.

Old September 26th, 2009, 11:12 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by civetta View Post
I completely agree! I always thought Percy and Ernie to be in the same boat; pompous, self-righteous, stubborn. For that reason I assumed Percy was more of a Gryffinpuff.

On to the topic- In my opinion, what sets Ravenclaws apart from any other house is that they learn purely for the sake of learning and absorbing something new, while other houses tend to acquire knowledge necessary to accomplish a goal. A Gryffindor would want to better themselves in order to better humanity, Slytherins would want to elevate themselves above the ordinary; thus power. Hufflepuffs would want to make themselves knowledgeable and just, so that they will always make fair and well-conceived decisions.

A true Ravenclaw could die in poverty with no grand deeds to their name, and still have fullfilled themselves if they learned and experienced all that they could.
I'd actually say that Percy had a bit of Slytherin in him as well. He was a very ambitious guy. He wanted to overcome his family's less-than-stellar reputation with the Ministry, to really make a name for himself in the halls of power. His unerring loyalty to the Ministry, even when they are, at best wrong, at their worst malevolent, is a very negative twist in the Hufflepuff ethos. At least, in my opinion. His Gryffindor side doesn't really shine through until the very end.

In terms of negative traits for houses, in my opinion, we have Gryffindors being cocky, brash, and arrogant; Slytherin being callous, dark, and underhanded; Ravenclaw being distant, aloof, or elistist due to an enhanced, uncommon intelligence; and Hufflepuff being excessively loyal, and therefore lacking in individuality, which makes them easy to manipulate.

Moreover, Ravenclaws are not the only ones who are intelligent, Slytherins not the only ones who are cunning, Gryffindors the only ones who are brave, and Hufflepuff the only ones who are fair. But each person has these traits in more or less emphasis, and there the sorting.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle

Last edited by CrimsonZephyr; September 26th, 2009 at 11:14 pm.
Old September 27th, 2009, 1:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm13 View Post
I know that this is going to sound weird, but I thought that the bird was an eagle.
Ravenclaw's bird is indeed the eagle, odd as that might sound.

Quote:
As for the significance of Air, I am going to go with others and say that it represents being open-minded and thinking out of the box.
I would agree with this. I also think Ravenclaw may also be represented by air due to the idea of travelling to new heights (aka the sky) in search of new and fascinatng information.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

Old November 12th, 2009, 3:44 pm
Sixth Year

"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw/If you've a ready mind/Where those of wit and learning/Will always find their kind"-Sorting Hat

I think it's a must for a prospective Ravenclaw to value gaining knowledge over any other trait of the other Houses. Also, they have to be quite open-minded, and really creative.

Luna. She's very brave and "tough" (Gryffindor), and loyal to a fault. (Huffelpuff). And I think the painting of her friends on her ceiling was a really Huffelpuff thing to do-they value friendship and such. But I think she valued gaining knowledge above anything else.

Gryffindors are extremely impulsive, Slytherins are cunning, and Huffelpuffs are loyal. Ravenclaws would usually think twice, thrice, and maybe a fourth time before carrying out a plan. They are loyal, but they will think over WHO to be loyal to. And I bet they aren't in anything for their own gain, like most Slytherins are.

Air is usually associated with intellectual thinking. The three signs under Air (Libra, Aquarius and Gemini), are considered the intellectuals of the horoscope. They pursue knowledge. Sounds familiar?

The Raven... Hey, I thought the House Mascot of Ravenclaw is the eagle, not a raven!

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Ravenclaw House from a literary perspective?

I guess she wanted to show that wizards are similar to humans? Oh man, I'm just DYING to write something about horoscope. But I better keep that to Talons and Tea Leaves.

What new thoughts do you have on Ravenclaw post DH?

Nothing. The Ravenclaws haven't changed in my view. They're still the same to me.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old November 25th, 2009, 9:28 am
First Year

Hi. I was just sorted into Ravenclaw and have been thinking about "what makes a Ravenclaw." As such, I'll give these questions a shot.

1. Is there a predominant quality that a Ravenclaw must have in order to be a Ravenclaw? A thirst for knowledge whether it has a practical use or not. A Ravenclaw spends a significant amount of their time and energy acquiring, reflecting, and acting upon knowledge. One could say they are on a neverending quest for it. In Luna's case, imagination and open-mindedness are foundations for learning and making sense of herself and her world. They create a vast realm for her to play in.

2. What are the significance of air and the raven to Ravenclaw? For Ravenclaws, air represents the freedom one has in pursuing insight and understanding about the world around them. The raven's ability to see "the larger picture" and how details fit into it rather quickly are hallmarks of the Ravenclaw.

3. What post DH thoughts do you have about Ravenclaw? As others have stated, I like how Ravenclaws must answer a riddle to enter their dormitory. Also, is there a difference in the rate that Ravenclaw graduates contribute information and expertise to their house versus other houses? It seems as though they would be more interested in contributing knowledge to benefit young Ravenclaw students than other house alumni.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References