Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Romantic moments & that scene in Deathly Hallows

Old November 26th, 2010, 6:04 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1: Romantic moments & that scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
When I left the theater, one of the parts I was thinking about a lot was the piano scene between Hermione and Ron. For me it was the scene where Ron seriously thought, "Oh my gosh, I love her." Which sets up (what he thinks) some tension between Harry and Hermione. I just love that adoring gaze he gives her.
Yes, that was adorable. They were quite flirty in that scene.

Quote:
As for Ginny and Harry, I thought they did it horribly in this film. The whole "zip me up" made me squirm. And then there's no indication that Harry is thinking about her/missing her. If they had even just snuck in one line for Harry like, "I'm worried about her," I would've been happy. Oh well.
Actually, I quite liked the scene, but somehow it wasn't enough. I mean, I like the fact that she asked him to zip up her dress. I read that as a way for the movie makers to show the audience that these two are close and comfortable enough for something like that. It's a bit of a couply thing to do. Kind of intimate. But then the kiss itself was a bit lackluster and didn't have the passion I imagined when reading the Birthday kiss. And although I enjoyed George showing up and interupting them - too funny - I would have rather Harry and Ginny to have a conversation comparable to what they had in DH or at the end of HBP (the books). Something to bring home the point that this is serious. That Harry is not just lusting after any girl, but this is supposed to be his soulmate, his future wife. I cannot imagine how they will properly deal with that relationship in DH2.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 6:12 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold View Post
I don't like the scene mainly because it shows Harry as a backstabber and a terrible friend. I can really see it no other way. This is Harry. It's kind of horrific to me that this characterization is the final Harry we have. His closeness with Ron and how precious he holds that relationship, to the point where he was so distressed about his love for Ginny, has always been a strong point in his favour. For this movie to come along and massacre his character in this fashion for a completely pointless scene has me really considering whether to watch this film or not. I will watch it so I can judge for myself but I am horrified by what they have done to Harry. I find it disgusting. He is now a creep in my mind and I hope finally watching the movie changes that opinion.
I never thought once that Harry was a creep in that scene, and I still don't.

It's a mild OOC moment. And, believe me, the OOC-ness really is mild compared with ... well, a certain other fantasy franchise I could name but won't. (I'm sure you're all grateful for that, too. )

Old November 26th, 2010, 6:15 pm
Third Year

LOL! This definitely needed it's own thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_elf View Post
Really, after thinking about it, discussing it and reading so much about it, my mind is pretty frazzled.

But really to sum up, I'm much the same as Magic_is_Might (despite the fact that we support different ships, I believe?) in that really it seems to boil down to a "what if" moment. I don't think Harry intended to seduce Hermione or Hermione intended to lead Harry on. The "will they won't they moment" was borne more out of their immediate situation. And in this way I think it would more about general lust. To me it was more that, if there was any thought in either of their minds it was more a result of "I want comfort and physical intimacy and you're the only one here for me at the moment."

Basically, I don't think Harry was thinking "I want to kiss Hermione" but simply "I want to kiss." As such, it came across that there weren't any real feelings just the need for intimacy.

I think that pretty much sums up my view.
I think this makes perfect sense.
I saw the scene as a moment between friends and a realization that at that moment, they were all each other had. And from Harry's end, I can see it being perceived as him essentially just feeling the need for physical contact/comfort. It started out as him wanting to cheer up Hermione, and then ended with him just suddenly realizing how good it felt to simply hold/touch/laugh with someone, and not just wanting to the moment to end. I think this is another way the "near-kiss" can be viewed. No so much as him wanting to kiss Hermione, but rather him just not wanting the moment to end because for that brief amount of time, they were up and laughing, doing something rather than just sitting around in depression. The "disappointment" when Hermione turned away could be nothing more than his disappointment that Hermione was forcing them both back into reality.
I don't at all think he was trying to seduce Hermione. It was a scene where Harry just felt, "Hey, we are both miserable. Let's do something, anything, to just lighten the mood for a little while."
And in the midst of it, there could have been a fleeting "what if", but that doesn't mean they had true romantic feelings for each other. It was just that with things being so bad, they were both glad to at least have each other (something Harry showed with the dance scene, and Hermione showed at the Forest of Dean "we could grow old together" comment).

As for the book, I understand the sentiments that Harry didn't do enough to comfort Hermione. I think that is why (for some of us, lol), this dance scene was a nice touch. In the book though, I think Harry was just as miserable as Hermione; he couldn't comfort her. It seemed his thoughts were on Ginny just as much as Hermione's were on Ron. They were both too drowned in their own emotions to be much help to each other. The movie changes this a bit though, because they each are shown trying to comfort each other (Harry attempting to comfort her in the tent, and Hermione comforting him at his parents' graveyard).

In the book, it was a bit more one-sided. Hermione's the main one trying to do the comforting--at the graveyard, and during the scene where I think she tells Harry Dumbledore loved him and she runs her hand through his hair (which he responds to by closing his eyes at her touch--demonstrating that physical human contact brought him comfort and perhaps this film just expanded on that).

Reading the books, I was on the Harry/Hermione ship prior to HBP; I thought they'd end up together. However, when that obviously wasn't the case, I loved Harry & Hermione's friendship. I think this film did a great job of portraying it, without really taking too much away from Ron/Hermione (I think only the Harry/Ginny dynamic suffers because Harry, in my opinion, seems so neutral in his romantic interest). And it doesn't bother me that Dan and Emma were instructed to show a brief instant of lust because lust does not equal love/romance. And in the case of Harry/Hermione, I doubt it's really lust more than just the comfort of physical contact.

Old November 26th, 2010, 6:20 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGurl08 View Post
Didn't it just.

Quote:
And in the case of Harry/Hermione, I doubt it's really lust more than just the comfort of physical contact.
Thank you.

That's pretty much how it came over to me. It really is not like that scene shows a predatory Harry scheming to get his hands on Hermione.

Old November 26th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
In the book, it was a bit more one-sided. Hermione's the main one trying to do the comforting--at the graveyard, and during the scene where I think she tells Harry Dumbledore loved him and she runs her hand through his hair (which he responds to by closing his eyes at her touch--demonstrating that physical human contact brought him comfort and perhaps this film just expanded on that).
d'you know, i thought that was where yates cames up with the idea as well.

i loved that moment in the book, because i interpreted the moment where hermione runs her hand through harry's hair as a will they/won't they moment (and i am a R/HR shipper before anyone decides to kill me!).

in visual terms that moment wouldn't have been quite so powerful, so i wondered if that was one of the reasons yates decided to put the dance scene in (besides the fact that it was a stonking good scene in its own right - i was almost drowning in depression after all the gloomier scenes before it, so it was nice to have that moment of light in a world full of darkness).

Old November 26th, 2010, 6:49 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
This thread is to discuss the romantic scenes in DHp1, but moreover I suspect you will all be debating the scene between Harry & Hermione... you know the one
It will be the Scene That Shall Not Be Named

I wonder if Yates suspected just how much controversy that little scene would create? I have to say, for myself, the first time I saw it there seemed to be sexual tension...but with the second and third viewings it seemed much less so. I guess the first time I was looking for it to have sexual tension, but after seeing it the second time I saw it for what it was...a lonely moment between two friends. They both needed comforting, that's for sure!

Old November 26th, 2010, 6:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I never thought once that Harry was a creep in that scene, and I still don't.
Yeah, I definitely didn't watch that scene and at any point think "Harry is a creep". I honestly did not really see the 'almost kiss' when the music stops. For me, the only part that I view as suggestive is the beginning as I've already stated. I think Emma does a phenomenal job in this scene 'cos I just love the look she gives Harry when he asks her to dance. It is this "oh my gosh, this is so stupid" look. I see it more as a Dan/Emma moment than a Harry/Hermione, but I don't mind it.

I think there are more glaring flaws in the film than this infamous dance scene.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old November 26th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
I think there are more glaring flaws in the film than this infamous dance scene.
i agree

Until the very end.
Old November 26th, 2010, 7:41 pm
Malum Veneficus

I watched that scene for the first time before learning the director's comments on it, and it seemed to me nothing more than Harry trying to cheer up Hermione. I admit I still didn't see much 'sexual tension' when I saw it for the second time after knowing about those comments.

All in all, I thought the dance was cute, not to mention that I loved the song. A lot of people said that the camping scenes dragged, while I don't agree with that, I think this scene refreshed people up a bit (whether they liked it or disliked it).

On the other hand, I'm no big fan of romance really, and even though I don't dislike the dance, I'd rather they included a scene from the book. Perhaps more about Kreacher and Regelus, or maybe Lily's letter, or the Potters' death? There seems to have been a lot of options. I'd have preferred that a lot to the dance scene.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old November 26th, 2010, 8:50 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
And in the case of Harry/Hermione, I doubt it's really lust more than just the comfort of physical contact.
This is pretty much how I see it

It's just that the way some people were describing this scene, you'd think they were slow dancing to Barry White by candlelight Now that's a different story. Considering 'O Children' isn't romantic in the least....

And I guess I have to add that some people are lucky to have the power of the fast forward button on their remotes

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86

Last edited by magic_is_might; November 26th, 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold View Post
I don't like the scene mainly because it shows Harry as a backstabber and a terrible friend. I can really see it no other way. This is Harry. It's kind of horrific to me that this characterization is the final Harry we have. His closeness with Ron and how precious he holds that relationship, to the point where he was so distressed about his love for Ginny, has always been a strong point in his favour. For this movie to come along and massacre his character in this fashion for a completely pointless scene has me really considering whether to watch this film or not. I will watch it so I can judge for myself but I am horrified by what they have done to Harry. I find it disgusting. He is now a creep in my mind and I hope finally watching the movie changes that opinion.
I don't know if I would go as far to say that Harry is a creep, but this dance did not portray him in a good light IMO and it certainly made me look at him differently. The fact that he would try and seduce his best friend's girl is gross to me. I think the movies have always underplayed just how close Ron and Harry actually are, and this was just kind of the last nail in the coffin for me in regards to their friendship. I mean I'm still rooting for Harry of course, but I just don't like him too much anymore. At least not MovieHarry.

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
I LOVED this little scene and am glad that they included Tonks' flattery of Ron and his actions in the escape from Privet Drive. (Also can I be a 27 year old fan girl for just a second and comment on the fact that Rupert with glasses looked awfully cute?) I, for one, did not mind the glance back to Harry that some people have expressed some dissatisfaction with and I absolutely adored Harry running to join in on the hug. That was honestly one of my favorite moments of the whole film for some odd reason. I just love the trio to death.
Are you referring to the glance-back at the Burrow? I thought that that 'glance-back' was Hermione checking to see which was the real Harry. Once she realised the one behind her was the real one, she felt comfortable enough to run and hug RonHarry. Very telling I think!

Quote:

I think this makes perfect sense.
I saw the scene as a moment between friends and a realization that at that moment, they were all each other had. And from Harry's end, I can see it being perceived as him essentially just feeling the need for physical contact/comfort. It started out as him wanting to cheer up Hermione, and then ended with him just suddenly realizing how good it felt to simply hold/touch/laugh with someone, and not just wanting to the moment to end. I think this is another way the "near-kiss" can be viewed. No so much as him wanting to kiss Hermione, but rather him just not wanting the moment to end because for that brief amount of time, they were up and laughing, doing something rather than just sitting around in depression. The "disappointment" when Hermione turned away could be nothing more than his disappointment that Hermione was forcing them both back into reality.
I don't at all think he was trying to seduce Hermione. It was a scene where Harry just felt, "Hey, we are both miserable. Let's do something, anything, to just lighten the mood for a little while."
And in the midst of it, there could have been a fleeting "what if", but that doesn't mean they had true romantic feelings for each other. It was just that with things being so bad, they were both glad to at least have each other (something Harry showed with the dance scene, and Hermione showed at the Forest of Dean "we could grow old together" comment).

As for the book, I understand the sentiments that Harry didn't do enough to comfort Hermione. I think that is why (for some of us, lol), this dance scene was a nice touch. In the book though, I think Harry was just as miserable as Hermione; he couldn't comfort her. It seemed his thoughts were on Ginny just as much as Hermione's were on Ron. They were both too drowned in their own emotions to be much help to each other. The movie changes this a bit though, because they each are shown trying to comfort each other (Harry attempting to comfort her in the tent, and Hermione comforting him at his parents' graveyard).

Reading the books, I was on the Harry/Hermione ship prior to HBP; I thought they'd end up together. However, when that obviously wasn't the case, I loved Harry & Hermione's friendship. I think this film did a great job of portraying it, without really taking too much away from Ron/Hermione (I think only the Harry/Ginny dynamic suffers because Harry, in my opinion, seems so neutral in his romantic interest). And it doesn't bother me that Dan and Emma were instructed to show a brief instant of lust because lust does not equal love/romance. And in the case of Harry/Hermione, I doubt it's really lust more than just the comfort of physical contact.
Exactly! There is a huge difference between what went on in that dance and having actual romantic feelings for someone. Ron and Hermione are shown to harbour actual feelings for one another. That brief 'what if' moment is a moment of desire for physical contact.

Also on the note of Harry as a romantically neutral character: This is something I always felt. I always thought he was going to end up alone (mainly because I always thought he would end up dead!). As the core hero in a trio, his primary role has been as saviour not lover. So I'm not too fussed about his romance being played down/man-handled. I always saw him as a Luke Skywalker figure who ends up alone while his sidekicks get together. On that note, to add to the parallels which have been mentioned (e.g. LotR) Luke and Leia shared a kiss (ew, incest!) and Han and Leia still got together

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin6 View Post
I don't know if I would go as far to say that Harry is a creep, but this dance did not portray him in a good light IMO and it certainly made me look at him differently. The fact that he would try and seduce his best friend's girl is gross to me. I think the movies have always underplayed just how close Ron and Harry actually are, and this was just kind of the last nail in the coffin for me in regards to their friendship. I mean I'm still rooting for Harry of course, but I just don't like him too much anymore. At least not MovieHarry.
Harry doesn't try to seduce Hermione at all! He just tries to cheer her up! I mean think about it, their world is falling apart and Ron has left them. The dance only highlights the desolate feeling about two lost people trying to find happiness with each other's presence. There nothing romantic in the scene at all.

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:49 pm
First Year

I hadn't even noticed the ambiguity of that scene until I read your complaints about it.

"And Radcliffe and Watson are quite extraordinary depicting the kind of relationship between teenagers that I can’t recall ever seeing on film before: one of deep affection but no romantic inclinations."
-Flick Filosopher

This reviewer sums up my thoughts about You-Know-When. At times, friendship can be as deep as love. I'm really happy about that scene. It's probably the most touching scene in all the seven movies. Open your minds. You must have once stared at your mother with the same affection Harry showed when he stared at Hermione.

Last edited by franckolat; November 26th, 2010 at 10:56 pm.
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by franckolat View Post
I hadn't even noticed the ambiguity of that scene until I read your complaints about it.

"And Radcliffe and Watson are quite extraordinary depicting the kind of relationship between teenagers that I can’t recall ever seeing on film before: one of deep affection but no romantic inclinations."
-Flick Filosopher

This reviewer sums up my thoughts about You-Know-When. At times, friendship can be as deep as love. I'm really happy about that scene. It's probably the most touching scene in all the six movies. Open your minds. You must have once stared at your mother with the same affection Harry showed when he stared at Hermione.
The bolded is why I think this scene is unique in itself.

Yes, affection =/= romantic.

And well said

Last edited by magic_is_might; November 26th, 2010 at 10:57 pm.
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
"And Radcliffe and Watson are quite extraordinary depicting the kind of relationship between teenagers that I canít recall ever seeing on film before: one of deep affection but no romantic inclinations."
-Flick Filosopher

This reviewer sums up my thoughts about You-Know-When. At times, friendship can be as deep as love. I'm really happy about that scene. It's probably the most touching scene in all the six movies. Open your minds. You must have once stared at your mother with the same affection Harry showed when he stared at Hermione.
This! franckolat you're a genius

Old November 26th, 2010, 10:55 pm
Second Year

Quote:

-Flick Filosopher

And it shall hence forth be referred to as You-Know-When. Love it!

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:02 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceysChain View Post
Harry doesn't try to seduce Hermione at all! He just tries to cheer her up! I mean think about it, their world is falling apart and Ron has left them. The dance only highlights the desolate feeling about two lost people trying to find happiness with each other's presence. There nothing romantic in the scene at all.
I disagree. Harry is absolutely trying to seduce her IMO. At least at the beginning and at the end.

Quote:
Are you referring to the glance-back at the Burrow? I thought that that 'glance-back' was Hermione checking to see which was the real Harry. Once she realised the one behind her was the real one, she felt comfortable enough to run and hug RonHarry. Very telling I think!
Yeah that moment for me was not her trying to choose between the two of them in a romantic sense. She just didn't know which one was the real Harry and which one was Ron. I love how she takes off his glasses. It's a very very telling moment I think.

Last edited by Erin6; November 26th, 2010 at 11:04 pm.
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:04 pm
Sixth Year

I think under the circumstances and the song that was playing. I wouldn't go as far as to call it seducing.

If it was Barry White playing softly in the background, then that's a bit different

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:08 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
I think under the circumstances and the song that was playing. I wouldn't go as far as to call it seducing.

If it was Barry White playing softly in the background, then that's a bit different
Well when I say seducing, I mean as much as an awkward teenage boy can seduce someone. LOL

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References