Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v.10

Old September 16th, 2011, 5:26 am
First Year

Re: Pottermore v.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101 View Post
Anyone else having trouble with the Sleeping Draught? Every time I try to brew that particular potion, I wait my time and it takes me back to page 1. So I waste 90 minutes every time! I'm not having a problem with any other potion, only that one.
I was - and I suppose still could be - having problems with Sleeping Draught, but I've brewed several successfully now, so I am wondering if my solution has resolved my issues and is allowing me to avoid the step 1 loop.

Basically, I stopped trying to brew only Sleeping Draught. Now I alternate between S/D and one of the 9-pointers (Wide Eye or Forgetfullness). That seems to keep each from exhibiting a glitch and failing.

EDIT: Spoke to soon! Just had another Sleeping Draught fail by going back to Step 1 after brewing. Grr! I give up for tonight! (Hmm... wonder if the fact that I started it technically yesterday - before midnight - and it had to brew until sometime after midnight, if that has anything to do with it. I don't know!)

U/N: MarauderIce39
House: Gryffindor
Wand: Cypress, Unicorn Hair Core, 12 1/4 in, Hard

Found the Magical Quill on Day 3, got Beta access on 9/6/11

Last edited by MarauderIce39; September 16th, 2011 at 7:19 am. Reason: Spoke too soon...
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2011, 5:32 am
Fifth Year

On Brewing...

Spoiler: show
I used the document someone posted in the previous Pottermore that had all the potions on it, then split it up into a text doc for each potion. That way I can have the instructions available and not have to worry about Flash choking or something -- I just pull up my little text file.

It's also helpful because I can go over the instructions right before the time ends, so I know I need to immediately grab the horklump juice etc. etc.

Aaaaand I blew up another copper cauldron today. Herbicide Potion. I discovered that, even if you brew everything right, if you've been sloppy and spilled the Flobberworm Mucus and didn't pick it up, you're going to fail. So. Be neat!

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:43 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post

It would also help if they would let our drawings show up. It's weird, since they said, in one of the Insider posts, that users could submit artwork. Meaning it wasn't a feature they were working on, or were considering scrapping altogether. I mean, frankly, it's a bit weird. No wonder some folks think it's limiting.
Yes this is very annoying! I posted an artwork as soon as I had joined on the 26th/27th of August, the artwork still hasn't been approved yet.

I mean are they only expecting sketched and stick figures to be uploaded? what about the more experienced professional artists? Will their artwork be rejected because it might clash with copyright etc etc? why is it taking so long????

Check it out.
Pottermore: QueenJinx40, Slytherin, wand: Hawthorn and unicorn hair, 11 and 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy
Old September 16th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Third Year

The Insider's been updated:

Pottermore InsiderAccessing Pottermore
UPDATED ON FRIDAY 16 SEPTEMBER

Over the past 24 hours, we've slowed down the rate at which Welcome emails are being sent out due to some work that's being carried out on the site.

We want to wait until this work has finished and make sure that everything is working properly before we speed up again.

We'll keep you updated using this post.

Bad news for everyone still waiting for their email but hopefully this means they're fixing potion glitches and will bring duelling back up soon.

Old September 16th, 2011, 3:20 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Gaunt View Post
Bad news for everyone still waiting for their email but hopefully this means they're fixing potion glitches and will bring duelling back up soon.
Sounds like Halloween will have come and gone before they finally open the site officially!

ThestralQuill
11 1/2" Sycamore and Unicorn hair, surprisingly swishy

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,
that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."
Old September 16th, 2011, 3:26 pm
First Year

And it's down for maintenance already. If it's anything like last weekend, there will be quite a few outages over the next day or two, so I'm not going to start any more potions until they're done. It's too frustrating to have a potion spoiled because they shut the system down right when it's ready for finishing up.

Old September 16th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats View Post
And it's down for maintenance already. If it's anything like last weekend, there will be quite a few outages over the next day or two, so I'm not going to start any more potions until they're done. It's too frustrating to have a potion spoiled because they shut the system down right when it's ready for finishing up.
Grrr...why do they insist on working on the site when it's the weekend? That's when I'm off work!

MarauderIce, I'm just going to stay away from Sleeping Draught for now...although maybe they'll have fixed it once the site comes back up, which means I will prob be wasting another 100 minutes waiting for a possible "Fail."

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old September 16th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Second Year

How many students are on Pottermore?

On Pottermore: Surprisingly,Slytherin
So...Slytherclaw?
Wand: Cypress with Unicorn Core, ten inches, reasonably supple
Old September 16th, 2011, 4:43 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Arrow77 View Post
How many students are on Pottermore?
This thread is meant for constructive posting. Asking every day about how many people are in Pottermore isn't constructive posting but we consider this post count boosting. If you want to chat or ask this daily question do so in the Pitchside.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101 View Post
Grrr...why do they insist on working on the site when it's the weekend? That's when I'm off work! ...
It's probably just habit. For most computer systems, late nights and weekends are the only times we are allowed to do any kind of maintenance, and for business critical systems we're lucky to get a couple of hours between 1 am and 3 am on a Saturday night once every 3 months.

Over the last week I have observed that a lot of outages, but not all, occur after 5 pm and often after 7 pm EDT (10 pm / midnight in Britain). So it looks to me like they are trying to affect at least the Europeans at little as possible, and other time zones are just SOL. That's what happens with global systems.

Old September 16th, 2011, 4:57 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosSempra View Post
I can't believe we're still only at 300-some thousand members. Why is it taking so long to invite the rest of the million? According to Pottermore Insider, as of September 8th, welcome emails were to go out daily. If the site is supposedly opening in October, we're only 2 weeks away, and over half of the early-entry people are still not allowed in. Doesn't seem fair that people were promised "early entry" if early entry meant waiting until the week before everyone else is allowed to register.
Two weeks away? Gosh, that's not very long! I haven't even completed Sorcerer's Stone yet. I don't have enough time.

I sure hope they let everyone in...

Is the website still down?

Old September 16th, 2011, 5:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat1 View Post
Two weeks away? Gosh, that's not very long! I haven't even completed Sorcerer's Stone yet. I don't have enough time.

I sure hope they let everyone in...

Is the website still down?
The statement "opening in October" doesn't necessarily mean opening on the 1st of October. When you think that Harry's parents were killed on Halloween, it would make a lots of sense to open on the 31st. But even that is not certain.

And the site is down for "routine updates."

Wand: 14 1/2 inches, elm, unicorn core, hard

Officially Sorted
Old September 16th, 2011, 5:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats View Post
It's probably just habit. For most computer systems, late nights and weekends are the only times we are allowed to do any kind of maintenance, and for business critical systems we're lucky to get a couple of hours between 1 am and 3 am on a Saturday night once every 3 months.

Over the last week I have observed that a lot of outages, but not all, occur after 5 pm and often after 7 pm EDT (10 pm / midnight in Britain). So it looks to me like they are trying to affect at least the Europeans at little as possible, and other time zones are just SOL. That's what happens with global systems.
Perhaps they have figured out that their heaviest use is on the weekend...and that is why they are down for maint. on Friday during European and US working hours.

Old September 16th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
This thread is meant for constructive posting. Asking every day about how many people are in Pottermore isn't constructive posting but we consider this post count boosting. If you want to chat or ask this daily question do so in the Pitchside.
I'm sorry about that. I just want to know how many people are on Pottermore to be able to estimate when I will finally get my Welcome e-mail. I think it's really unfair that Pottermore is letting in so many people, not just me, so late. After all, I registered early on Day 4, so I think I should have gotten my e-mail by now if the system were fairer. Sending out e-mails completely on a first come first serve basis would have been so much better.

On Pottermore: Surprisingly,Slytherin
So...Slytherclaw?
Wand: Cypress with Unicorn Core, ten inches, reasonably supple
Old September 16th, 2011, 6:46 pm
First Year

I am disappointed they slowed down the welcome emails. I must be so close. I created one for my friend early in day 4 and he got his on tuesday. I did mine really early in day 5 and have yet to get mine. I would imagine I have to be in the next big batch.

Old September 16th, 2011, 7:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Arrow77 View Post
I'm sorry about that. I just want to know how many people are on Pottermore to be able to estimate when I will finally get my Welcome e-mail. I think it's really unfair that Pottermore is letting in so many people, not just me, so late. After all, I registered early on Day 4, so I think I should have gotten my e-mail by now if the system were fairer. Sending out e-mails completely on a first come first serve basis would have been so much better.
Sometimes we have to wait for things in life. Asking constantly how many people are in is not going to help you estimate when you are going to get in. There was life before Pottermore, there will be life after, and you'd probably be happier waiting if you found a hobby to keep you busy.

It'll be fine. At some point in the next couple weeks you'll find out what kind of wand you get and what house you'll be in, and then you can play with games that don't work right now and will hopefully work when you get in.

Old September 16th, 2011, 8:41 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBellyDragon View Post
The statement "opening in October" doesn't necessarily mean opening on the 1st of October. When you think that Harry's parents were killed on Halloween, it would make a lots of sense to open on the 31st. But even that is not certain.

And the site is down for "routine updates."
Okay. Whatever they do, I'm sure it will work out. It does say in the T&C that they have the right to extend (or shorten, though I doubt they'd do that unless the cheating gets worse-it does say they have the right to terminate any/all accounts if cheating occurs somewhere) the beta testing, so maybe they'll do that.

In case you haven't read the Insider, a new update went out today which pretty much explains it all. I suggest you visit insider.pottermore.com to see it for yourself.

Quote:
Accessing Pottermore
UPDATED ON FRIDAY 16 SEPTEMBER

Over the past 24 hours, we've slowed down the rate at which Welcome emails are being sent out due to some work that's being carried out on the site.

We want to wait until this work has finished and make sure that everything is working properly before we speed up again.

We'll keep you updated using this post.
Posted by Pottermore Editor at 12:00
There's the quote.

Old September 16th, 2011, 9:04 pm
Second Year

Potions question:
What's the difference between the yellow button and the red button under the cauldron? I understand that the red button heats the cauldron up faster than the yellow one, but are there specific times to use each one?

Old September 16th, 2011, 9:14 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I've used the yellow button to slow down the heating of the cauldron. By hitting it a lot, I find I can keep the temperature level, for at least a little while.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old September 16th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I've used the yellow button to slow down the heating of the cauldron. By hitting it a lot, I find I can keep the temperature level, for at least a little while.

Interestingly, it depends on your machine. On my son's low-power netbook, the cauldron temperature can actually drop when using low heat. So while I use off and low heat to modulate the temperature, he has to use high and low heat to do the same.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References