Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon

Star Wars Episode 7 -- Coming 2015

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:52 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Star Wars Episode 7 -- Coming 2015

Coupled with the news that Disney is buying Lucasfilm is the announcement of a new Star Wars movie with the working title Episode 7. (Why not VII?)

Due for release in 2015, the film has probably set the geeksphere alight but I'm cautiously optimistic as Lucas will only have an advisory role.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2012, 1:21 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 -- Coming 2015

All I can say is it better have Mara Jade, .... oh and it better NOT have Jar Jar Binks

That is all!

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old October 31st, 2012, 3:39 pm
Seventh Year

No, please!! Leave them alone!!

Bad news to get on halloween...

Old October 31st, 2012, 10:26 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Bad news to get on halloween...
It is scary, though.

Old November 1st, 2012, 2:31 am
Member of the Order

Hmf...I was reading about this earlier.

The crazy thing is...I believe that many feel that giving the Star Wars license to Disney to make another movie is probably a good thing.

I know a lot of people want to see the Admiral Thrawn series on film without Lucas screwing it up.
*shrugs*
The Clone Wars animated series proves there's plenty of room for new stories in the Star Wars universe.

And if they get rid of the whole midichlorian **** and go back to the Force being a spiritual thing, then Disney will have done the subgenre a service to most of its fanbase.

Although quite frankly they could stick mouse ears on Vader and it still won't be Lucas levels of suck.

And for the cynics...I believe that Marvel comic-books fans thought the sky was falling when Disney bought Marvel, and it's worked out good so far.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 1st, 2012, 2:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm really excited about this!

I would love if they would incorporate at least some of Timothy Zahn's work into the new trilogy (his SW novels are definitely the highest quality compared the other other writers and it would be a shame for his complete plots to be contradicted by new canon).

I also think it would be great for Lucas to take just an advisory role. He's obviously good at the big ideas/concepts, but not as good at the finer plot points and definitely not as good at dialogue.

Old November 1st, 2012, 3:05 am

As I said elsewhere, I'm cautiously optimistic. There's a lot of pretty good stuff in the EU and if they get good scriptwriters and directors there's no reason that the movies will be good. Not that they have to go the EU route, but it's a logical first step.

As for the third trilogy, there's been chatter about that since I was a kid. At one stage the saga was going to be 12 movies long.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old November 1st, 2012, 3:16 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I would love if they would incorporate at least some of Timothy Zahn's work into the new trilogy (his SW novels are definitely the highest quality compared the other other writers and it would be a shame for his complete plots to be contradicted by new canon).
There was speculation (and when I say "was," I mean yesterday) about these being based on Zahn's work, but no, they'll be based on an original story - treatments from Lucas. I don't know when these treatments are from, because for at least the last decade, he's been saying the prequels are it.

Lucas will be a "creative consultant," by the way. Kathleen Kennedy will be executive producer.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; November 1st, 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old November 1st, 2012, 5:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
And if they get rid of the whole midichlorian **** and go back to the Force being a spiritual thing, then Disney will have done the subgenre a service to most of its fanbase.
That can be easily retconned.

And they might dispose of Jar Jar by his going on tour to promote his hit Gangun Style.

Old November 1st, 2012, 7:30 am
Seventh Year

Remember, these are Episodes VII through IX - following the events of Return of the Jedi, not Revenge of the Sith (however long after we don't know, as we don't know anything yet). Jar Jar and the midichlorians? Can't see them coming back anyway.

Old November 1st, 2012, 8:06 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

There are better stories to be told than we got in the prequels. That should be obvious to any fan. And given that, plus the wealth of licensed material (which Lucas has petulantly demonized even as he almost literally raked in money), why are we worried about continuity? That's just a bizarre side-effect of poorly-written prequels.

The "Tragedy of Darth Vader" nonsense is the hobgoblin of a wonderful visionary but a deficient writer.

Old November 1st, 2012, 8:22 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
There are better stories to be told than we got in the prequels. That should be obvious to any fan.
Not to this one. I've always found the story of Anakin Skywalker's seduction to the dark side and transformation into Darth Vader a very compelling one. The telling of that story left a lot to be desired, but the story itself is strong. However, I know you're not the only one who thinks it's not such a good story to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
And given that, plus the wealth of licensed material (which Lucas has petulantly demonized even as he almost literally raked in money), why are we worried about continuity?
Petulantly demonizes? The "expanded universe" material isn't part of the "canon," but I don't know how he "petulantly demonizes" all of that material. If he disapproved so much, well, there wouldn't be so much of it.

The people worried about continuity are either worried about these new films taking the wrong cues from the previous ones, concerned about the existing films being further tarnished by a ridiculously unnecessary extension, or both. A lot of people are all for new films exploring new territory. I'm not sure what you're saying with the "why worry about continuity, it's just a side effect of poor storytelling" bit.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; November 2nd, 2012 at 5:08 am.
Old November 1st, 2012, 1:28 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Petulantly demonizes? The "expanded universe" material isn't part of the "canon," but I don't know how he "petulantly demonizes" all of that material. If he disapproved so much, well, there wouldn't be so much of it.
That first movie spawned so much fan-made material, by the time he realized it (around the third movie I think) he had no choice in the matter. (He was able to put his foot down on wookies becoming Jedi. That's why there was only one that made it into canon; Re: Tyvokka) I think comic-books led the way that very first year in 1977...and then Timothy Zahn's material...

The more I learn about how the films were actually made, the more I'm annoyed that George Lucas takes credit for the 70's trillogy. Those films are clearly not "George Lucas" films IMO, they are "George Lucas and a ton of dedicated, creative and ambitious people working together" films. Episodes 1-3 are George Lucas Films, because he had a lot more control. And we see what that gets us. (Midichlorians and Jar-Jar Binks..omg)

A lot of the fan-driven material is pretty awesome. We have the "expanded universe" and Gray Jedi (To see a "Revan" storyline my my), ideas that were explored and still are being threaded.
As much as Lucas may hate to admit it, the stuff that's good isn't his.

It'll be difficult to see Disney get this 7th movie wrong, since any direction away from Lucas' input can only be better.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old November 1st, 2012, 9:42 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
As much as Lucas may hate to admit it, the stuff that's good isn't his.

It'll be difficult to see Disney get this 7th movie wrong, since any direction away from Lucas' input can only be better.
That's exactly the mindset that bothers me and that I resent - the good stuff isn't Lucas', he contributed nothing worthwhile. Trashing everything Lucas is no more correct than praising everything Lucas. I'm not going to bring up that Star Wars wouldn't exist in the first place without George Lucas (with due credit to all the artists whose work he referenced), or that he was the sole writer-director of the first film, or that so much of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi comes from him. No, I don't need to say any of that. Neither extreme works or makes sense - "everything good is Lucas and those other people were just around" is wrong, "nothing good is Lucas and everyone else contributed the valuable stuff" is wrong. Of course it's not all Lucas - film's arguably the most collaborative medium there is - but the "Star Wars can only be great when George Lucas is nowhere near it" viewpoint is bizarre to me. It's not that simple. These new movies could be great - I'm not in favor of their existence, but they could be great - but I've never understood the demonizing of George Lucas.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; April 27th, 2014 at 4:10 am.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 4:42 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Episodes 1-3 are George Lucas Films, because he had a lot more control. And we see what that gets us. (Midichlorians and Jar-Jar Binks..omg)
Yes, Midichlorians and Jar-Jar Binks are seriously annoying.

But I personally have always found the byzantine plot of how the Republic fell and became the Empire - and how the Jedi brought about their own destruction - to be quite powerful and compelling.

I have never understood the hatred heaped on this trilogy.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 5:42 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
The storylines had incredible potential - that's what George Lucas is amazing at! He comes up with brilliant big ideas. But the prequel series has some major flaws:
- cringe worthy dialogue
- special effects taking precedence over plot
- major characterization inconsistencies (Padme/Amidala in particular)
- over simplification of a story that could have been a lot more nuanced

Old November 2nd, 2012, 7:06 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Star Wars movies where Lucas' presence is reduced will be better than ones where he has full control, such as the prequels. Ideally, I'd like Disney to re-do the awful prequels at some point too, but I'd settle for them releasing the original trilogy (as it was before Lucas began adding his revisions).

Old November 2nd, 2012, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
The storylines had incredible potential - that's what George Lucas is amazing at! He comes up with brilliant big ideas. But the prequel series has some major flaws:
- cringe worthy dialogue
- special effects taking precedence over plot
- major characterization inconsistencies (Padme/Amidala in particular)
- over simplification of a story that could have been a lot more nuanced
Agree. The 1-3 arc had potential that wasn't realised and hamstrung by failures in execution not least the characterisation of Anakin and the calibre of the actors who played him.

Other things that stuck in my craw were the reprise of the cringeworthy investiture from Star Wars in Phantom Menace; flying R2; the improbable Padme/Anakin relationship; the incompetent and cowardly droid army (if I was a Separatist leader I'd want my money back); and a continuation of Lucas's amputation fetish.

That said there were some fantastic moments.

However, there is one thing that is not anyone's fault and can never be rectified. First generation fans were introduced to the films on the big screen and (mostly) in their teens and younger. Nothing an ever replicate the feeling of seeing the movie for the first time at a drive-in with light aircraft lights coming into land at the nearby airport during space battle.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 9:39 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
But I personally have always found the byzantine plot of how the Republic fell and became the Empire - and how the Jedi brought about their own destruction - to be quite powerful and compelling.

You said the answer right here.

The plot of how the Republic fell was told earlier by the fanbase. And it was indeed powerful and compelling, and even moving, but DARK. And when the inevitable comparisons were made, the movies were seen as incredibly lame and even inept.

Lucas ignored the fan based material likely because it was geared toward a more mature audience, and not for the children. A mature audience that was far younger when "New Hope" was first out in the 70s.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 9:54 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
The plot of how the Republic fell was told earlier by the fanbase. And it was indeed powerful and compelling, and even moving, but DARK. And when the inevitable comparisons were made, the movies were seen as incredibly lame and even inept.

Lucas ignored the fan based material likely because it was geared toward a more mature audience, and not for the children. A mature audience that was far younger when "New Hope" was first out in the 70s.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "fan based material."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon