Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Old April 30th, 2008, 7:30 pm
Fourth Year

Re: The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Eh, I'm just going to wait for it to get on youtube, seeing how others will go see it just for the trailer the HBP trailer should be out by like noon on the east coast (US) and the movie company is going to put it out like on Monday. Speed Racer isn't worth a ten minute preview to me, especially when one considers that it'll be up the same day.

"Patrick where are you going?"
"I have to return some video tapes."

"An Apple is not a Banana. This must be stated!" -Me
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2008, 8:52 pm
Banned

Is it for certain that the trailer will be in Speed Racer(ew...)? I was expecting it to be in Prince Caspian which comes out May 16th. Or is that to soon? If the trailer came out in Prince Caspian it would be about six months till HBP comes out.

I found a rumor that the teaser trailer is comming out soon according to the leaky cauldron

Old April 30th, 2008, 9:01 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
Is it for certain that the trailer will be in Speed Racer(ew...)? I was expecting it to be in Prince Caspian which comes out May 16th. Or is that to soon? If the trailer came out in Prince Caspian it would be about six months till HBP comes out.

I found a rumor that the teaser trailer is comming out soon according to the leaky cauldron
SCOOP told us (who we now all trust) that'd be out on before a fortnight on the 26th [April] so it'll be before the 10th of May, meaning 9th of May (Speed Racer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansboy View Post
Eh, I'm just going to wait for it to get on youtube, seeing how others will go see it just for the trailer the HBP trailer should be out by like noon on the east coast (US) and the movie company is going to put it out like on Monday. Speed Racer isn't worth a ten minute preview to me, especially when one considers that it'll be up the same day.
Yup, youtube's the way I'm going, even if I have to wait an extra day...

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!

Last edited by ArryGrotter; April 30th, 2008 at 9:09 pm.
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:09 pm
Banned

I am so not going to see Speed Racer so I'll just wait for it to go onto youtube.

Old April 30th, 2008, 9:13 pm

I just noticed, it's already May here... The trailer seems so close. YET NO ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Old April 30th, 2008, 9:22 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post

Well, I think it's less likely to be attached to Prince Caspian, because it's a Disney film and Harry Potter is connected to WB. I'd really like some more information about this trailer. The sparse information that we've had so far has been frustrating.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
Well, I think it's less likely to be attached to Prince Caspian, because it's a Disney film and Harry Potter is connected to WB. I'd really like some more information about this trailer. The sparse information that we've had so far has been frustrating.
The fact that it hasn't even been announced and we are a week away from it (and I hate to say this) possibly being released is just annoying.

Last edited by ArryGrotter; April 30th, 2008 at 9:30 pm.
Old April 30th, 2008, 9:39 pm
Second Year

The only two movies that make sense for them to throw a teaser trailer on are Speed Racer or The Dark Knight.

Old April 30th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_waker View Post
The only two movies that make sense for them to throw a teaser trailer on are Speed Racer or The Dark Knight.
The dark night is AGES away. That's more Theatrical Trailer matarial

WB films:

Speed Racer - May 9
Nights in Rodanthe - June 6
Get Smart - June 20
The Dark Knight - July 18
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 - August 8
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - August 15
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - November 21

That's all there is. Speed Racer is probably the only oppurtunity.

The latest I can see the trailer is with Get Smart (20 June) But I don't want to wait that long!!!!

Old April 30th, 2008, 10:41 pm
Seventh Year

Ohh, well, that's only 9-10 days away. I'm sure that there's something in the real world to keep you occupied.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:45 pm
Zonko's Employee

Goodness, Jammi, isn't there anything else for you to do than to post negative comments all the time?

I really hope it is with Speed Racer! We've waited long enough.

Thanks for posting the recap, Arrygrotter! I'm so happy about the Scirmgeour rumor. I hope he makes the film, I really do. Two scenes sounds just about right to me. One at Christmas then one at the end at the funeral.

They could compensate for the Other Ministry by the film opening up in a montage of what's happening in the wizarding world before sweeping through the HBP title into Spinner's End. We could also have brief glimpses of the new Minister in newspaper flashes and stuff throughout the movie so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

I love the reports about Snape and Draco's conversation! It gave me chills! I was hoping that scene would be in the movie.

And *CHEER!* for Luna and her commentary!!!!!!

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old April 30th, 2008, 10:49 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Goodness, Jammi, isn't there anything else for you to do than to post negative comments all the time?
I seriously am looking forward to it, it's just that it isn't the only thing that i'll be thinking about all the time. And by being negative, i'll enjoy the film even more if it is brill, but not be seriously disappointed if it isn't.

On a possitive note, i love the fact that it'll be coming soon. And the fact that Scrimmy is potentually in (again).

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Last edited by jammi567; April 30th, 2008 at 10:52 pm.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Quote:
I really hope it is with Speed Racer! We've waited long enough.
Yeah, I STILL remember thinking it'd come with 10000BC

Quote:
Thanks for posting the recap, Arrygrotter! I'm so happy about the Scirmgeour rumor. I hope he makes the film, I really do. Two scenes sounds just about right to me. One at Christmas then one at the end at the funeral.

They could compensate for the Other Ministry by the film opening up in a montage of what's happening in the wizarding world before sweeping through the HBP title into Spinner's End. We could also have brief glimpses of the new Minister in newspaper flashes and stuff throughout the movie so it shouldn't be too much trouble.
To be honest, I DON'T like The Other Minister, so I don't want it in the movie. I'm not too sure about the devastion before Spinner's End either, I'd rather go straight into that.

Quote:
I love the reports about Snape and Draco's conversation! It gave me chills! I was hoping that scene would be in the movie.

And *CHEER!* for Luna and her commentary!!!!!!
yeah, these are great scenes that I can't wait for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
On a possitive note, i love the fact that it'll be coming soon.
I just wish WB could confirm that...

Old April 30th, 2008, 10:57 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
I seriously am looking forward to it, it's just that it isn't the only thing that i'll be thinking about all the time. And by being negative, i'll enjoy the film even more if it is brill, but not be seriously disappointed if it isn't.

On a possitive note, i love the fact that it'll be coming soon. And the fact that Scrimmy is potentually in (again).
Sorry, it just seemed like every one of your posts lately have been negative...I mean from all the evidence we've got so far, this movie sounds like it's going to be pretty good. Some of us here are very fanatical. It's a waste of time to come onto a HP forum and try to convince fans not to be that excited about a trailer. I mean, I'm sure you LOTR fans were giddy with anticipation when the trailer for FOTR was around the corner...

Anyway, I really feel the film should start with a mini montage with a voice over of Fudge maybe talking about all the happenings and showing the bridge collapsing, the new Minister, and announcing how the new minister is doing his best to round up death eaters, including Lucius. Since Lucius going to jail was cut from OOTP, we need to establish that he went to Azkaban. It'd be very awkward to cut straight to Spinner's End and Narcissa is going on about how her husband is in jail in my opinion.

The only thing that has got me worried about this film is the report about the cave scene being filmed like the veil room scene in OOTP with close ups and crane shots...I hope the cave doesn't feel as choppily shot as the veil room...I hope this new DOP captures the action a little better than the last one.

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Anyway, I really feel the film should start with a mini montage with a voice over of Fudge maybe talking about all the happenings and showing the bridge collapsing, the new Minister, and announcing how the new minister is doing his best to round up death eaters, including Lucius. Since Lucius going to jail was cut from OOTP, we need to establish that he went to Azkaban. It'd be very awkward to cut straight to Spinner's End and Narcissa is going on about how her husband is in jail in my opinion.
I've always been against this opening montage, because of how it would lead into Spinner's end, but now I read this,

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:

The only thing that has got me worried about this film is the report about the cave scene being filmed like the veil room scene in OOTP with close ups and crane shots...I hope the cave doesn't feel as choppily shot as the veil room...I hope this new DOP captures the action a little better than the last one.
I like the idea of the montage, but I'm not sure how they'll work in Fudge...I mean, I can barely remember what the man sounds like, so it probably won't matter who's doing it...I mean, they could just let the headlines speak for themselves, like they usually do with that kind of thing (from what I can remember)
I totally agree with you on the Lucious thing...maybe one newspaper shot could read something like "Ex-Hogwarts Board member [I can't remember what his position was at the moment] arrested on charges of being a Death Eater."
As for the cave...if it's choppy, I will be sad. I think that the veil scene in OOTP was choppy because they cut a lot out, not because of the filming, though...again, it's up to mark day or whatever with the edits, so we'll have to cross our fingers on this one

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseelf25 View Post
I like the idea of the montage, but I'm not sure how they'll work in Fudge...I mean, I can barely remember what the man sounds like, so it probably won't matter who's doing it...I mean, they could just let the headlines speak for themselves, like they usually do with that kind of thing (from what I can remember)
I totally agree with you on the Lucious thing...maybe one newspaper shot could read something like "Ex-Hogwarts Board member [I can't remember what his position was at the moment] arrested on charges of being a Death Eater."
I think if they were to do this (I'm loving this idea even more!) they'd need a voiceover. Without one doen't work for me.
As for the cave...if it's choppy, I will be sad. I think that the veil scene in
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseelf25 View Post
OOTP was choppy because they cut a lot out, not because of the filming, though...again, it's up to mark day or whatever with the edits, so we'll have to cross our fingers on this one
Lets just hope Mark Day gets it right this time (like that's gonna happen)

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:19 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Sorry, it just seemed like every one of your posts lately have been negative...I mean from all the evidence we've got so far, this movie sounds like it's going to be pretty good. Some of us here are very fanatical. It's a waste of time to come onto a HP forum and try to convince fans not to be that excited about a trailer. I mean, I'm sure you LOTR fans were giddy with anticipation when the trailer for FOTR was around the corner...
I'm really sorry if i come across that way. It's just generally the way i look at things i really love. Basically, i just prepare myself for disapointment, if needs be.

And i am excited about the trailer, it just won't be the only thing on my mind.

And sorry to disappoint (again), but i truely became a fan after all the movies had come out. Before that, i loved the movies because they were well made and i enjoy that kind of thing.

But then, this isn't the appropriate thread to all-inclusivly discuss me.

Quote:
I agree with this statement, and wasn't it said somewhere that this was how the movie was actually going to begin? Either that, or i must have been thinkiung of something else entirely. Although, i don't think that i would want Fudge to do it. They could have Dumbledore and Harry discuss it as they're walking towards Slughorns house (as in, still have the montage, but have Dumbledore and Harry talk about the events the screen is showing). And after it's finished, have Harry ask him where Dumbledore is taking him, and Dumbledore could reply that they are seeing an old friend.

But then, where would Spinner's End go in? I think that they could do it as the pre-credit sequence, that helps to set everything up (that's what they've done with all the chapters no dealing with Harry's viewpoint, so why break it, you know?).

Quote:
I don't think that the new DoP can do anything except his apsolute best, as it is in the editing section where the final sequence will be decided by Yates and Day.

Possitive enough for you, MoD?

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:21 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
I mean, I'm sure you LOTR fans were giddy with anticipation when the trailer for FOTR was around the corner...

LOL.... you have NO idea! there was the internet trailer almost a year before the film came out.... I think that got a download record. And then we all poured over it for weeks. And then the teaser, and the full trailer.

Oh, and there were two PS/SS trailers, too, that year, and I at least was almost as hyped about THEM, too - although I am much more of a Potterhead now than I was then.

And nothing compared to the completely off the scale excitement about the Episode 1 trailers that year.

I at least can completely understand the hype about this trailer, although I have to admit that (being older now, and it being the sixth HP film and in all the ninth film I follow with great attention of this kind) I am getting more content with sitting back and letting you folks say it all for me. Still - i am pretty hyped about this. Can't wait to stare at the screenshots, hping that another ten minutes' staring will finally make sense of the images!

Let's hope it comes soon - and I really hope that it'll be on their website as soon as it comes out. Even as a fairly enthusiastic fan, no trailer has ever made me go to see a film I really didn't want to see - and Speed Racer is most definitely not a film for me (woman aged 36 doesn't quite fit the target audience. I am assuming that a Y chromosome is a requirement for liking this movie).

----------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, have to go back all the way to the last page....

This is part of a discussion of the scene where Hermione sends her birds after Ron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I have my doubts about this being in the movie, but on the other hand will be SO mad if it doesn't make the movie. It is one of my favorite moments in HBP. I love where Hermione leaves and Harry thinks he hears her sobbing. AWWWW

I think this is such a VISUAL scene - if I were a film maker I'd definitely put it in. One has to be careful not to exaggerate it, so as to make sure that it seems serious-funny rather than slapstick-funny. But it could sum up a lot that we only bget from Harry's commentary in the book. And it is something diffeent, visually - and film makers enjoy that sort of thing, as lomg as they have enough SFX/CGI budget to play with.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
I'm really sorry if i come across that way. It's just generally the way i look at things i really love. Basically, i just prepare myself for disapointment, if needs be.

And i am excited about the trailer, it just won't be the only thing on my mind.

And sorry to disappoint (again), but i truely became a fan after all the movies had come out. Before that, i loved the movies because they were well made and i enjoy that kind of thing.

But then, this isn't the appropriate thread to all-inclusivly discuss me.

I agree with this statement, and wasn't it said somewhere that this was how the movie was actually going to begin? Either that, or i must have been thinkiung of something else entirely. Although, i don't think that i would want Fudge to do it. They could have Dumbledore and Harry discuss it as they're walking towards Slughorns house (as in, still have the montage, but have Dumbledore and Harry talk about the events the screen is showing). And after it's finished, have Harry ask him where Dumbledore is taking him, and Dumbledore could reply that they are seeing an old friend.

But then, where would Spinner's End go in? I think that they could do it as the pre-credit sequence, that helps to set everything up (that's what they've done with all the chapters no dealing with Harry's viewpoint, so why break it, you know?).

I don't think that the new DoP can do anything except his apsolute best, as it is in the editing section where the final sequence will be decided by Yates and Day.

Possitive enough for you, MoD?
lol, aww thanks. I didn't mean to sound confrontational before. I'm not saying you can't be negative, I was just getting weary of LOTR fans parading their 'HP is just a warm up act for the REAL thing' attitude to these films. But it's fine. I can be a bit over-reactive at times.

Btw, do you want me to start an all inclusive Jammi thread or were you going to do that? Maybe we could start one for every member!

Anyway, I really think you need a voice-over, but Dumbledore and Harry wouldn't work because as you said, there's no room for Spinner's End, and I'd want the opening montage to be much more of a general outline before we get into Harry's story, just to give the film a context and allow the audience to appreciate the state of the wizarding world in this film. We need someone familiar but not too familiar, so I think Fudge is perfect. I'm thinking of the Yates newspaper montage in OOTP where Fudge was talking. Something akin to that but a little more epic, I suppose or dramatic.

An example would be Children of Men. The movie starts with a blank screen and we hear voices of news reporters describing the state of the world. Something like that, maybe?

Oh Mark Day, Mark Day....I fear another quick cut right from Spinner's End to harry and Dumbledore right outside Slughorn's house..I really wish the Dursleys were in...Oh well. I hope Mark Day improves his editing because as many know, that was the downfall for OOTP to me.

We are hearing great things about the performances so far and I'm not surprised. Yates is first and foremost an actors directer. I thought OOTP had the best acting of the series.

All I'm worried about is post-production. Yates being a TV directer and Mark Day a TV editor sometimes do not have a clear grasp on what makes a good movie as opposed to a good TV movie in my opinion.

But so far, things are looking up because HBP is a very different and much shorter and less intense book than OOTP. Also, the film is coming out in the fall and hopefully Yates won't feel the need to chop 40 minutes out of the film at the last minute.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives