Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

More Metamorphmagi

Old May 1st, 2007, 6:00 am
Seventh Year

Re: More Metamorphmagi

I was under impression that Tonks was the first to be one in her family[Black] in a long long time. They say it’s rare so it probably skips several generations. Last one in the Black family to have this ability could have been Tonks’ Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather.

I think we might be introduced to another one in the last book. I don’t think it would be Harry as he would have to learn. I couldn’t buy him learning in the span of book 7. When it took the Marauders 4 to 5 years to get being Animagus down. I know their different but both involve changing your physical form. So there must be similarities in learning them least I’d think. As Tonks said their born not made, so the most Harry could try is being good at transfiguring himself with his wand.

Old May 1st, 2007, 7:49 pm
Second Year

The Theory on Irma Pince was interesting... hhhmmm.

I think we'll see one, but we know we're not going to get any new characters introduced, thats what Jo said right? Somewhere...

So it has to be somebody we know of... but just barely. Who would have reason to change their appearance...?

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old May 1st, 2007, 10:28 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleGreenfield View Post
I think we'll see one, but we know we're not going to get any new characters introduced, thats what Jo said right? Somewhere...
this may be what you are talking about:

New Characters in Deathly Hallows

Peter O'Brien for Easons Ireland: Are you going introduce any new characters in the final book?

JK Rowling
: There will be some characters who you don't know particularly well, and there may be a couple of new characters, but nobody really major. You know pretty much the cast list by now.

[from ITV Press Conference, 16 July 2005]

now, this gets me thinking. if we were going to have the idea of a new metamorphmagus playing a somewhat large role in the plot, one could not really classify that character as either 'minor' or 'periphery', could they? jo has said that there will be no major characters, so it would have to be that we are already introduced to. this leads me to believe that it may be a safe bet to put my money on tonks if we are going to see a metamorphmagus play a fairly important part.

as for madame pince being a metamorphmagus, i'm not sure either way. i will definitely read through that thread, though, and see if i can make heads or tails about my thoughts on the subject. in my opinion, it is possible that she is and that we may find out about it in book 7. in this case, it may not be crucial to the plot, but just some background information we receive in relation to something else. or, it could be the key, who could really know either way?

a thought i have had recently is simply that tonks was introduced as a metamorphmagus because, well, they're cool to learn about. the persistent belief in those who are rooting for another metamorphmagus seems to be that jo introduced the concept of metamorphmagi, and therefore they will have to become more important later. well, if this were the case, we should all keep an eye on the giant squid. in all seriousness, though, perhaps jo just wanted to put the idea of metamorphmagi in there to add another facet to the world she created. another thought may be that it was a great way to develop tonks' characterization throughout the book. her looks reflect her inner emotions, and this can be shown much easier because she is a metamorphmagus.

"Why does everyone in L.A. dress like they are from some horrible version of the future?"

Ahhh, words of wisdom from MGG

Mark my words, MGG is PURE GENIUS.
[Strange, yes, but genius. ]
Old May 4th, 2007, 3:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmywheezy View Post
a thought i have had recently is simply that tonks was introduced as a metamorphmagus because, well, they're cool to learn about. the persistent belief in those who are rooting for another metamorphmagus seems to be that jo introduced the concept of metamorphmagi, and therefore they will have to become more important later. well, if this were the case, we should all keep an eye on the giant squid. in all seriousness, though, perhaps jo just wanted to put the idea of metamorphmagi in there to add another facet to the world she created. another thought may be that it was a great way to develop tonks' characterization throughout the book. her looks reflect her inner emotions, and this can be shown much easier because she is a metamorphmagus.
Right , I just wondered what everyone thought on the subject. Personally, I feel it was too interesting of a characteristic to not see it again, but only Jo knows!

As for the Giant Squid...? Well everyone knows he's a horcrux!

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old May 9th, 2007, 3:48 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleGreenfield View Post
Personally, I feel it was too interesting of a characteristic to not see it again, but only Jo knows!
i agree. i personally feel that one's ability to transform themselves at will is one of the coolest things we see in the series, and i would love to see it again. the more i think about it, though, i just don't know that i'll get my wish.

if there was already a metamorphmagus among the characters that we had met, how could we not know about it? how could it have remained hidden for however long? and why would a minor character introduced in deathly hallows end up being a metamorphmagus? it would make less sense to me to introduce yet another metamorphmagus that had no real point than it would be to not introduce one at all. [i hope that that makes some semblance of sense]

Quote:
As for the Giant Squid...? Well everyone knows he's a horcrux!
oh, i know. silly me for suggesting otherwise.

"Why does everyone in L.A. dress like they are from some horrible version of the future?"

Old May 9th, 2007, 4:18 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I also thought that metamorphmagi would have a more important role in the books after we met Tonks in OotP. I mean, polyjuice potion seemingly innocently introduced in CoS becoming crucial in GoF; the Room of Requirement seemed like just a cool magical concept and a convenient place to practice in OotP, but became a crucial element in HBP. I'm sure there are more examples.

Metamorphmagi just seem too cool not to use again. Plus, I think it would be a cool way for someone to impersonate someone else. All the talk of safety precautions at the beginning of HBP with the Weasley's questions to each other to prove their identity . . . the fear of family being imperiused, of being impersonated by polyjuice. What an easy thing for a metamorphmagus to do. What a perfect way to infiltrate the enemy's camp--whether it's Tonks or someone good inflitrating the Death Eaters, or a DE infiltrating the good guys. It just seems like it should come up again.

Old May 9th, 2007, 4:51 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I also thought that metamorphmagi would have a more important role in the books after we met Tonks in OotP. I mean, polyjuice potion seemingly innocently introduced in CoS becoming crucial in GoF; the Room of Requirement seemed like just a cool magical concept and a convenient place to practice in OotP, but became a crucial element in HBP. I'm sure there are more examples.
great point! it does seem rowling's style to throw in a little tidbit, something seemingly small, that seems to be nothing more...and then it becomes a major plot twist in a later story.

*** another example might be the fact that harry and voldemort's wand were made of the same core. this seemed inconsequential enough, until we saw priori incantatem in gof. ***

Quote:
All the talk of safety precautions at the beginning of HBP with the Weasley's questions to each other to prove their identity . . . the fear of family being imperiused, of being impersonated by polyjuice. What an easy thing for a metamorphmagus to do. What a perfect way to infiltrate the enemy's camp--whether it's Tonks or someone good inflitrating the Death Eaters, or a DE infiltrating the good guys. It just seems like it should come up again.
would rowling use this again, though? although a metamorphmagus would have an excellent ability to infiltrate their enemies' ranks, i wonder if the whole idea of stolen identity will be used again, or if rowling will think it's too tired. if she didn't, of course, i would never argue with her...as she knows best, and i love her work [clearly]. i am just raising the possibility that she may not want to use this tactic again.

my other question would be: would it be possible, at this stage, for someone to imitate someone else in order to gain information? first, there would be the problem of getting a hold of the person you are attempting to imitate, hold them somehow, and guarantee that they will not interrupt your work. then, you have to locate the group you are trying to infiltrate. then, you would have to be capable of imitating the person you had captured to the point that you would not be found out. wouldn't certain measures be taken against this sort of thing happening? whether it be passwords [as we saw with arthur and molly] or whatever else, groups are going to be very careful of spies.

i personally always wondered how it was that barty crouch jr. got away with imitating moody for so long, when dumbledore seemed to know the real moody pretty well, and other professors may have as well. now, with a heightened level of awareness, this would be even more problematic. key people on each side are going to be very careful, especially the 'good side'...i doubt that they would let the fake moody fiasco happen again, if they could help it. and there would really be no point in trying to talk to people who aren't as close to the inside as possible just because they may not be able to detect that you aren't the 'real thing', because your chances of getting really important information would be difficult under these circumstances, and you may be risking too much in order to gain too little. either way, extreme precautionary measures will certainly be taken, and i don't know how plausible it will be that a high level of imitation will take place.

soooo, that was my long winded way of getting around to another question i have: if a new metamorphmagus is introduced, but not used as a spy, what other roles could he or she fill?

Old May 11th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Third Year

I posted this in a now defunct thread, but it would belong here as well. I was wondering if we might already have seen another metamorphamagus and not realized it, specifically Merope.

I wanted put this option out there and get other reader's opinions. There were plenty of things that bothered me about Merope using a love potion on TR Sr. First, there is the general "ick factor." Also, others have pointed out that Merope could have been too magically weak to brew a love potion or Merope did not have enough money to buy a love potion. But what if Merope did not need a love potion, in that she was a metamorphamagus and turned herself into a stunningly beautiful women in order to marry TR Sr.?

As I reread the chapter "House of Gaunt," I noticed that at one point Harry describes Merope as if she wanted to blend into the wall. This phrase immediately reminded me of a chameleon, in how they can change their appearance in order to blend into their surroundings. Then I remembered that Harry does not notice Merope for a long while once he enters the Gaunt house. Was it because he didn't notice her, or was it because he couldn't notice her, in that she actually had blended into the wall? Furthermore, in reading the description of Merope as depressed with lank hair I remembered the description of Tonks in HBP as being depressed and having mousy hair. Both Tonks and Merope are dejected, both are dejected because they cannot be with the men they want, and both are described as have have "down" appearances. Could this be a clue that they are both metamorphamagi?

Merope being a metamorphamagus would explain a peculiar comment Morfin makes to her in "House of Gaunt." Morfin say to her in essence, "so, TR Sr. didn't want you, did he?" This comment makes no sense. In specific, it indicates that there was a possibility in the first place that TR Sr. would have liked the appearance of Merope. And it clearly stated in the text that Merope was very unattractive. So what hope would there have been for TR Sr. to have seen her and fallen for her on sight? Very little. Then why did Morfin make that comment, which inherently implies that Merope had a chance to attract TR Sr. with her looks? The comment does make sense if Merope was a Morphus and transformed herself into a moderately attractive person in order to catch TR Sr.'s eye when he rode by. Then Morfin's comment is appropriate, in that he is saying, "you morphed yourself into a better looking person and he still didn't want you, did he?" So Merope being a metamorphamagus would explain why Morfin acted as if she would have been able to attract TR Sr. with her appearance.

When I was looking at the Gaunt family names I saw a pattern. The name Morfin could be related to Morpheus and thus have something to do with sleep. But a homonym root for Morfin is "morph," as in metamorphamagus. What if being a metamorphamagus ran in the Gaunt family and that is why Morfin got his name? Later, I found out that Marvolo is similar to "marvros," the Greek word for "black." So perhaps Marvolo got his name because his mother was born a Black (his mother could have still been his father's cousin in her mother was Gaunt and her father a Black). And being a metamorphamagus could run in the Black family (Tonks, and I suspect Regulus) just as Parselmouths run in the Gaunt family. So if Marvolo is a descendant of the Black family as well at the Gaunts, then naming his son "Morfin" could be a way of acknowledging that heritage.

If Merope could have changed her appearance, this would explain how she could have "tricked" TR Sr. without using a potion. Once her father and brother went off to Azkaban, she would have been much happier and may have been able to use her morphing abilities to a greater extent. This would be congruent with Tonks in HBP. In that book, Tonks is depressed and as a result she is having trouble morphing, as Hermione tells Harry in HBP. But when she is happy at the end she is able to morph well again, as her vivid pink hair represents. By this logic, once Merope was happier she may have been able to morph herself into a fantastically beautiful woman. And with that fantastic beauty she may have been able to entrance TR Sr. enough for him to start carrying on with her and to leave Cecelia.

The main problem with Merope changing her appearance into that of a beautiful woman is DD's comment regarding the villagers' reaction to her marriage to TR Sr.. DD says that there was a scandal in the village when the squire's son ran off with the tramp's daughter. Now, if Merope changed her appearance, how would the villagers have known that she was the tramp's daughter? Once explanation is that DD was just speculating when he made the comment. But there could be another. In OotP when Harry first meets Tonks she is has short purple hair and a heart shaped face. Later at Grimmaund Place Tonks has long red hair and turns her nose into a hooked nose to entertain the kids. And when Harry sees Tonks before going to St.Mungo's she is an old woman. Now, if a Muggle who knew nothing of magic saw a girl with short purple hair, a girl with long red hair and a hooked nose, and an old woman, would the Muggle think they are the same person? No. So it could have been the same with Merope. Specifically, Merope kept her true, deformed appearance at home but when she went to town with Marvolo she could have morphed into a normal looking girl so that the villagers would not harass her. And if the villagers saw a normal looking girl in town with Marvolo and a deformed girl in the yard around Marvolo's house, they would assume that they are two different girls and that they are both Marvolo's daughters since the villagers see the "two" girls either with Marvolo or at Marvolo's home.

Once Marvolo and Morfin go to Azkaban, Merope would be happy enough to use her morphing abilities to their fullest and would turn herself into unbelievably beautiful-Cecelia who?-Merope and then stand in her yard until TR Sr. rode by. And when a stunned TR Sr. came up to talk to her, Merope could just say, "Oh, I'm the youngest Gaunt sister. My father could not afford to raise me so he sent me to live with my aunt. I'm just visiting, yada, yada, yada, whatever." TR Sr. would be so smitten that he really wouldn't care what Merope said. But the important point is if the villagers saw TR Sr. and beautiful Merope together in the town, they would ask TR Sr. who she is and TR Sr. would say beautiful Merope is Marvolo Gaunt's youngest daughter. And when TR Sr. marries beautiful Merope, thus the scandal of the squire's son running off with the tramp's daughter.

Merope being a metmorphamagus could also explain why TR Sr. left her. In HBP, Dumbledore suspects that Merope stopped using a love potion of TR Sr. because she didn't want to have a "fake" relationship with him anymore. When I first read this, it did not make sense. Why would Merope, who was unethical enough to use a potion on TR Sr., suddenly develop a sense of morality? But what if Merope, instead of choosing to stop tricking TR Sr., had to stop tricking him. In specific, what if being pregnant affected her ability to morph? What if being pregnant forced Merope's body to return to it's original form so that her biology would be compatible with her baby's? In normal human biology, the body will protect the baby even if it means killing the mother. So what if it the same with Metamorphamagi, in that their bodies will not allow them to morph if morphing endangers the baby? If being pregnant prevented Merope from being able to morph, then she would have been forced to return to her true, unattractive appearance. And once she stops morphing TR Sr. will see her true appearance and would leave her. That would explain why TR Sr. left Merope when she was pregnant. This also explains TR Sr. saying that he was fooled, in that he was fooled by her appearance, rather than by a potion.

Merope using her appearance to get TR Sr. would also add an interesting aspect to the series. In CoS, we "know" that TR. Sr. left Merope when he found out that she was a Witch, thus making TR Sr. the villain and Merope the victim. Then in HBP, we "find out" that Merope used a potion of TR Sr., making Merope the villain and TR Sr. the victim. With Merope lying with her appearance and TR Sr. leaving Cecelia and then Merope based on solely on the women's looks, both are to blame and this gives a more balanced allotment of fault and a final twist to the story.

Favorie quotes - "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance" - Ophelia, Hamlet, Shakespeare "Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister." ~ Katherine Mansfield "A serpent signifies a king because of its strength." - Artemidorus, Oneirocritica "They called me the hyacinth girl.'" - T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land, as narrated by Tiresias "I have been a multitude of shapes, Before I assumed a consistent form." - Taliesin.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Fifth Year

Yes I really like the idea of her not being able to morph once she is pregnant is this be the case. I am new to this thread and wondered if anyone knew the exact details of what a metamorphagi can change themselves into. If the can change their appearance to be the same as another person like the polyjuice potion as to me this doesn't seem feasible.

Old May 11th, 2007, 11:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive632 View Post
Yes I really like the idea of her not being able to morph once she is pregnant is this be the case. I am new to this thread and wondered if anyone knew the exact details of what a metamorphagi can change themselves into. If the can change their appearance to be the same as another person like the polyjuice potion as to me this doesn't seem feasible.
Thanks! It just seems more feasable to me that Merope had to change her appearance rather than choosing to stop giving TR Sr. a love potion.

Here's what JKR says about Metamorphamagi on her website
Quote:
A Metamorphmagus is a wizard who has the innate ability to transform their appearance completely, for instance, from black to white, young to old, handsome to plain and so on.

Favorie quotes - "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance" - Ophelia, Hamlet, Shakespeare "Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister." ~ Katherine Mansfield "A serpent signifies a king because of its strength." - Artemidorus, Oneirocritica "They called me the hyacinth girl.'" - T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land, as narrated by Tiresias "I have been a multitude of shapes, Before I assumed a consistent form." - Taliesin.
Old May 12th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Fifth Year

If you suspicion turns out to be correct and perhaps as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread about Andromeda being a metaporphmagus and that maybe where Tonks inherited it from maybe only women may be metamorphagi.

Old May 14th, 2007, 4:04 am
First Year

I suspect we have already seen a metamorph in passing.

OOTP, pg 486, American hardback

"A very old, stooped wizard with a hearing trumpet had shuffled to the front of the que now.
" ' I'm here to see Broderick Bode!' he wheezed.
" 'Ward forty-nine, but I'm afraid your'e wasting your time,' said the witch dismissively. 'He's completely addled, you know, still thinks he's a teapot. . . . Next!' "

Later on, we find that Broderick was strangled by a Christmas gift of Devils Snare after it was revealed he was getting better (page 547.) Bode was under the Imperius Curse by Lucius Malfoy trying to recover the prophesy (page 585)

Granted, the Devil's Snare was sent to Bode (page 512), but it is very possible it was sent after the metamorph determined he was beginning to recover and could reveal Malfoy's use of the Imperius Curse.

Anyway, just a thought that we have already seen another one

Old May 14th, 2007, 9:13 am
Fifth Year

Yes that is very interesting. Could that have been one of the black family if it is a family trait.

Old May 15th, 2007, 4:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma View Post
I suspect we have already seen a metamorph in passing.

OOTP, pg 486, American hardback

"A very old, stooped wizard with a hearing trumpet had shuffled to the front of the que now.
" ' I'm here to see Broderick Bode!' he wheezed.
" 'Ward forty-nine, but I'm afraid your'e wasting your time,' said the witch dismissively. 'He's completely addled, you know, still thinks he's a teapot. . . . Next!' "

Later on, we find that Broderick was strangled by a Christmas gift of Devils Snare after it was revealed he was getting better (page 547.) Bode was under the Imperius Curse by Lucius Malfoy trying to recover the prophesy (page 585)

Granted, the Devil's Snare was sent to Bode (page 512), but it is very possible it was sent after the metamorph determined he was beginning to recover and could reveal Malfoy's use of the Imperius Curse.

Anyway, just a thought that we have already seen another one
ooooh, great catch. love it.

i never even guessed that this person could be a metamorphmagus. now that you mention it, though, it doesn't seem that far off. it does appear, at least to me, that this may be a possibility.

however, how would this come up in deathly hallows? it just seems a strange things to reference somehow...at least in a natural way that would seem possible. that is to say, how would harry find out about this?

EDIT: i have not forgotten to check out that thread about madam pince, either. when i do, i'll be sure to post. also, i plan on reading and responding to irmapince's post about merope possibly being a metamorphmagus......i add this to my post mainly to remind myself, as i tend to get a little, you know .

Last edited by iheartmywheezy; May 15th, 2007 at 6:58 am.
Old May 19th, 2007, 9:31 pm
First Year

As I am very much focusing on Aunt Petunia, re-reading OOTP something striked me:
In the beginning of OOTP Tonks is very curious about Petunia's cleaning even describes it as 'unnatural'. At the end of OOTP, when the Order says goodbye to Harry, Petunia closes her eyes every time she lookes at Tonks, or could it be the opposite...?!
Tonks, being an Auror, seemes quite "sensitive' regarding the Dursleys. Could this be one of her tasks in DH?

Old May 20th, 2007, 3:13 pm
First Year

Interesting thread! I'll have to check out the Madam Pince thread, too. I've always beens suspicious of her, ever since the end of HBP and the description of Eileen Prince, etc.
Other possibilities for an "already" known major character that could be a metamorphmagus...how about Dumbledore? I know, he's dead, but it could be that he used his morphing ability in ways are very important to the story, and Harry will find out about this in DH. Anyone here a fan of the DIATSSISE theory? If not, check it out: even if you don't buy it (as I'm not sure I do), it's very very interesting and lots of fun to discuss!
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=97481
Briefly, this theory states that DD was impersonating Snape in Spinner's End of HBP (presumably to try to get info from Wormtail about LV), and therefore it was he, and not Snape, who may the UV with Narcissa.
Anyway, DD being a metamorphmagus would fit perfectly into this theory. ANd it would have a HUGE impact on DH in that at some point Harry would find out and realize that Snape had not killed DD, and was still on the "good" side.
Not trying to start a discussion of this theory here, there is a thread for that. But just throwing it out as a possibly way in which DD being a metamorphmagus would be hugely important, even though he is dead.
Another possibility I didn't see mentioned yet is Aberforth.

Old May 28th, 2007, 12:00 am
Third Year

Quote:
If you suspicion turns out to be correct and perhaps as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread about Andromeda being a metaporphmagus and that maybe where Tonks inherited it from maybe only women may be metamorphagi.
Interesting idea. But since JKR goes into depth about Metamorphamagi on her website and doesn't mention it being a female only trait, my guess is both men and women can be metamorphamagi.

Moreover, when Harry asks Tonks about being a Metamorphamagus, she says "you have to be born one." Since she doesn't also say, "and since you're a guy you couldn't have been one anyways," I'm guessing guys also can be born Metamorphamagi.

I do believe the trait is inherited and if Andromeda is one we'll see in DH. And if Andromeda isn't Tonks could have still inherited the gene from her and it expressed itself in Tonks.

Old June 25th, 2007, 9:37 pm
Fifth Year

Who was Andromeda's Mother?

I have found it. Cygnus Black

Last edited by olive632; June 25th, 2007 at 9:44 pm. Reason: Information
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Who was Andromeda's Mother?

I have found it. Cygnus Black
I just checked the Black Family tree JKR sold and I think Cygnus was her dad her mom was Druella. So perhaps Druella's family carries the metamorphamagus gene as well.

Old June 26th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmapince View Post
I just checked the Black Family tree JKR sold and I think Cygnus was her dad her mom was Druella. So perhaps Druella's family carries the metamorphamagus gene as well.
Wasn't there a rosier who was a death eater.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies