Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Hunger Games

Old September 16th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: The Hunger Games

Well, I just finished Catching Fire a couple days ago. Only took me two days to read it. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It surprised me that there was another Hunger Games, and how rather short it was. But it was pretty exciting. The clock thing was ingenius. What a cliffhanger though. Can't wait to read mockingjay.

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballblondie View Post
Spoiler: show
Since D13 never took part in the Hunger Games to begin with, why would Coin want a "final" games using Capitol children?

According to Coin, it was because the people in the Districts wanted more retribution than just the executions of Snow and his high-ranking officials. I think, though, she saw it as an opportunity to put her stamp of authority on all of Panem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
And total speculation - I could see her re-using all the past arenas since they all still exist.
I think that's very possible, especially as she was used to frugality in District 13. Which brings up the issue of the huge waste of resources constituted by 75 arenas. This land could be used for other purposes, such as agriculture, or industry, or dwelling spaces. It seems very wasteful, and hypocritical, given what we're told about how resources were depleted before Panem emerged from the ruins. I think it came from the Capitol not caring what happened to the citizens in the Districts as long as they had plenty.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 27th, 2010, 5:08 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

My sister just finished the books, so I started discussing them again. I thought I'd post some discussion questions just for fun.

1. Was District 13 what you expected?

2. Did The Hunger Games accomplish the goal of capturing the effects of war on the young?

3. Do you think the planned film(s) will do the books justice? Why or why not?

Old October 1st, 2010, 12:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote]
Quote:
Yes, and no. I had expected it would be those who had broken away from the Capitol during the Dark Days, as Bonnie and Twill speculated. I had expected a small population, for some reason. (Probably because the Districts seemed to decrease in size and importance from 1-12. So it made sense that 13 might have a smaller population than 12. Odd that food and fuel were so far down the list, though, shows what was really taken for granted in the Capitol.) I didn't expect it to be quite so organised, so militaristic, or that it would be planning an attack on the Capitol.

Quote:
2. Did The Hunger Games accomplish the goal of capturing the effects of war on the young?
I think so. Nobody gets a happy ending, there are so many senseless, cruel deaths, and even the survivors find their lives changed forever. Collins was willing to kill off so many characters, especially ones characters and readers cared for -Rue, Prim, Finnick, Cinna in particular.

There are others - Bonnie and Twill never make it to 13, Darius and the redhaired girl meet horrific deaths, practically the entire team that went to the Capitol die during the mission. So many of them were treated as pawns, and this is something Peeta contemplates before their first Games, and Katniss thinks on a lot herself.

Quote:
I'm not sure, I certainly hope so. Casting is a big thing, obviously. (I'm hoping the rumours I read were just that, rumours). However, I think it will be more important for the films to avoid glorifying the Games, to show them as truly horrific and cruel, a warped reality tv contest. If it's just well filmed action scenes, that element, so clear in the books, will not be as clear to movie audiences. I know it wouldn't be done intentionally, but I think sometimes the human cost is less clear on screen than on page, especially when the human element is overshadowed by action and special effects. I think Katniss' song for Rue will be a big part of this, as will Peeta's reflection on not wanting to be a pawn of the Capitol.

"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; October 1st, 2010 at 12:16 am.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 4:56 pm
Registered Animagus

Well, I've started Mockingjay. Literally I am only on the first few pages. It is quite depressing!

So far, only one thing has really made me laugh:

When Buttercup makes an appearance, and then it says "Her goat, Lady, an animal of actual value, has unfortunately not made an appearance."

Don't know why, but "an animal of actual value" made me crack up.

Oh, and then there is this:

"Downstairs, I snag the game bag off the chair, bouncing it along the floor until I remember it’s occupied."

Last edited by Fury; October 2nd, 2010 at 4:59 pm.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:55 pm
Third Year

Yeah those two scenes were funny.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old October 27th, 2010, 3:01 am

Quote:
D13 was actually not what I expected. I think the books fail to show how large each district is. I forget all the numbers, but I can't imagine an underground complex so big that it holds thousands of people - particularly that they can accommodate everyone twice (with the bomb shelter room way below). And that they would have enough food and resources to maintain a full on population there. It didn't bother me, but I think I just anticipated that there would be about the same number as left D12 - about 800 or so.

As far as the way it was run, I didn't anticipate that, but it made total sense. It also helped explain Coin's motives and methods.

Quote:
I think so. It goes along with what we've all been posting. War is not happy in any way. And it is hard to rebuild yourself after going through a war - seeing losses, participating in causing the losses. In a weird twisted way, Snow had it right - prevent war by keeping everyone 'in line' but what he failed to recognize was that he kept the people too downtrodden. There wasn't enough for them to stick with the status quo which forced the rebellion.

Quote:
It all depends on the casting. I hope they stay true to the ages of the participants of the Hunger Games, and not go for a Kristen Stewart type who would be waaaay to old to play Katniss. I think this book would do best with a bunch of little or unknown actors. That way they'd have to win us over, just like they had to with the Capitol crowd.

Old October 27th, 2010, 9:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
D13 was actually not what I expected. I think the books fail to show how large each district is. I forget all the numbers, but I can't imagine an underground complex so big that it holds thousands of people - particularly that they can accommodate everyone twice (with the bomb shelter room way below). And that they would have enough food and resources to maintain a full on population there. It didn't bother me, but I think I just anticipated that there would be about the same number as left D12 - about 800 or so.
I thought there were about 8,000 in District 12? There was also an epidemic that killed a lot of the population of 13, which was why they were so willing to accept new arrivals. The scale of the underground complex is hard to imagine, though, I agree. Although, it's mentioned at some point that it was the work of centuries, originally developed by the Capitol. Perhaps it was intended as some kind of emergency shelter for Capitol citizens? It would have been reasonably far away if the Capitol became uninhabitable, due to something like nuclear attack, and I can see it being something the average citizen of 13 wasn't supposed to know about, pre-Dark Days.

Quote:
It all depends on the casting. I hope they stay true to the ages of the participants of the Hunger Games, and not go for a Kristen Stewart type who would be waaaay to old to play Katniss. I think this book would do best with a bunch of little or unknown actors. That way they'd have to win us over, just like they had to with the Capitol crowd.
I read a rumour about Kristen Stewart being considered for the role. I think, though, that there's going to be speculation about a lot of well-known young actresses until we get confirmation. The age thing is a point - I think the tributes need to really look like teenagers. The Capitol taking away kids is a big point of the series. Of course, forcing adults into the arena would be horrific too, but it's especially horrific with teenagers involved, and I think that point might not get across as strongly if the audience can forget that these are just youngsters.

Personally, though, I think that typecasting goes against Kristen Stewart, a bit more than age. I don't think I'd find her credible as a strong action girl who can take care of herself and her family. A cast of unknowns for the teenage characters would be a good idea, I agree.

Last edited by FurryDice; October 27th, 2010 at 9:49 pm.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 1:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Although, it's mentioned at some point that it was the work of centuries, originally developed by the Capitol. Perhaps it was intended as some kind of emergency shelter for Capitol citizens? It would have been reasonably far away if the Capitol became uninhabitable, due to something like nuclear attack, and I can see it being something the average citizen of 13 wasn't supposed to know about, pre-Dark Days.
Excellent points - though I'm not sure the Capitol was the capitol before the apocalypse happened. I don't recall if it specifies. For some reason I was under the impression that the Capitol rose out of the ashes based on it's location - primarily because the coasts had fallen into the ocean. Will look that up before I make more assumptions....

Quote:
Of course, forcing adults into the arena would be horrific too, but it's especially horrific with teenagers involved, and I think that point might not get across as strongly if the audience can forget that these are just youngsters.
Yes but the adult thing has been done for the most part - it's called The Running Man. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

Old November 6th, 2010, 12:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Excellent points - though I'm not sure the Capitol was the capitol before the apocalypse happened. I don't recall if it specifies. For some reason I was under the impression that the Capitol rose out of the ashes based on it's location - primarily because the coasts had fallen into the ocean. Will look that up before I make more assumptions....
I think the Capitol is mentioned as being somewhere near the Rockies. It became the Capitol after the natural disasters and wars. But we don't know how long the Capitol/Panem existed before the Dark Days that resulted in the Hunger Games being held. I'm pretty sure there's something in Mockingjay about the underground facility in D13 being developed over centuries.

Quote:
Yes but the adult thing has been done for the most part - it's called The Running Man. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

Good point, but I was thinking more about the casting, and that a lot of the impact will be lost if the "teenagers" look like twentysomethings.

Last edited by FurryDice; November 6th, 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old December 28th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Good point, but I was thinking more about the casting, and that a lot of the impact will be lost if the "teenagers" look like twentysomethings.
That's a really good point. The whole horrific aspect would be ineffective if the contestants don't look like young teens. I also think the unfairness of the Games set up is that some of the tributes are so much younger than the oldest ones, so we need to visually see that inequality.

This week on Facebook, I'm noticing all my thritysomething year old friends starting to pick up these books. I don't know what sparked it, but glad to see that they are gaining in popularity!

Old December 30th, 2010, 12:34 pm
Second Year

Just finished the first book. I liked it overall, a few things i would hcnage here and there but nothing major.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 8:41 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
My sister just finished the books, so I started discussing them again. I thought I'd post some discussion questions just for fun.
District 13 was not at all what I expected. I thought it was be more of a Utopia, where people had formed an ideal way of life. Instead it was worse than the Capital, but not as bad as life in the Districts. I thought that the control and regimen were harsh. And I knew it was an evil place and that Coin was horrible when Katniss' prep people were chained up like animals.

No, I don't think it did. The Hunger Games fostered hatred for the Capital in most of the people. Oppression never really accomplishes the goal it seeks. It just creates a reason to resist, and gives someone a reason to fight. I hated what the Victors like Finnick had to endure after they won their game.

Does any movie ever do the books justice? I'm not sure how they can make this movie and not fill it will horrible scenes of killing and death. How will the audience handle the visual effects. I think it will be hard to watch for some people.

I liked the first two books, but found Mockingjay very depressing. I usually don't read dystopia books (negative utopia). But the first two books were good because the two main characters were interesting and admirable.
The third lost that by having a very damaged Peeta and a mostly useless Katniss. She had very few moments of brilliance in this book.

I've been reading your comments about this series. It is funny to think that when this thread first started, the series wasn't finished yet. I can see that you had a great time making predictions about Mockingjay. I'm glad I didn't have to wait, since Catching Fire had the most cliff-hanging ending ever, much worse than any HP book.

Quote:
Worst thing for me -
all the times Katniss just blacked out from something. The girl was so drugged for so much of the story that I feared I would get to the end and learn it was all just a dream.
I agree 100% with you. This is my biggest complaint and the reason I didn't really like Mockingjay.

Quote:
GIG, I agree with all of your comments, couldn't have said it better myself. Regarding these two bits:
I started to become a bit intolerant of all the blackouts myself. But when the rescue party even mentioned that the rescue of Peeta was too easy - I appreciated the turn of events even more. I think the anticipation worked for me this time because when Katniss went to see Peeta for the first time we all expected that hug, only to get the total opposite. I couldn't have been more pleased.
I thought Peeta's treatment at the hands of Snow to be very believable. Peeta's healing from it was some of the best stuff in the book.I liked how Katniss had to learn to be compassionate and understanding, rather than defensive whenever Peeta said something to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post
The only thing I would debate is whether Katniss truly loved Peeta from the first time they were in the Arena ... To me, it was more of a process as the book events unfolded. I still hold firm that Gale was 'the one' for Katniss pre-reaping/pre-war, but that it could have only been Peeta after all that happened. To me, it's just another example of the many "natural" courses that were irrevocably transposed by the Hunger Games and the rebellion.
I don't think that Gale would ever have been the one for Katniss because he always had a different view of killing than she did. Katniss said that he would say things while they were hunting in the old days, before the games, that would bother her. I have the feeling he would have always been the big brother type to her, but not the one she would marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Well, I just finished Catching Fire a couple days ago. Only took me two days to read it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
It surprised me that there was another Hunger Games, and how rather short it was. But it was pretty exciting. The clock thing was ingenius.
What a cliffhanger though. Can't wait to read mockingjay.
This was one of the predictions that I had right. I think it was because I had so much experience predicting Harry Potter books.
I predicted that the Capital would find a way to get Katniss back into the Hunger Games as punishment for what she did in her first game.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; January 2nd, 2011 at 9:56 pm.
Old January 4th, 2011, 4:44 am
Fifth Year

For about ten seconds, then it was horrible. I didn't expect it to be so rigid, but I guess that's how they survived. One thing though is that I didn't trust Coin right from the start, although there were moments where I thought maybe I was being too hard on her. Not near the end of course.

Yes. War sucks, it involves senseless killing, people affected by it live with the pain for the rest of their lives. I think we saw that in all the characters. Gale and Mrs Everdeen can never again live in the place they once called home because it's too painful. Katniss can never fully accept that her life are normal and she's found love and happiness. Peeta still sometimes can't be sure what is his own mind and what is the mind the Capital manufactured. And it goes on and on.

No. So much of what I loved about the books, especially the last one, was knowing what Katniss is thinking. I guess there could be voice-over in the movies but there would need to be a lot unless scenes were added in to illustrate Katniss's thoughts. Also, I'm kind of afraid the cast will be white washed.

ETA: I hope they cast actual teens to play teens. And I know I probably won't get this, but I hope they all have geographically appropriate accents. I really want Katniss to sound like she's from the Appalachian region.

Last edited by MistressofRaven; January 4th, 2011 at 4:51 am.
Old January 4th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
District 13 was not at all what I expected. I thought it was be more of a Utopia, where people had formed an ideal way of life. Instead it was worse than the Capital, but not as bad as life in the Districts. I thought that the control and regimen were harsh. And I knew it was an evil place and that Coin was horrible when Katniss' prep people were chained up like animals.
I think it made a very good point -about how revolutionaries, unchecked by conscience, or motivated only by power or vengeance can sometimes become as bad as those they overthrow. For example, or the Terror during the French Revolution or the overthrowing of the nobility in Russia. And of course, fictionally, in "Animal Farm". In Mockingjay, both Coin and Paylor are leaders in the uprising, but there seems to be a huge difference in their methods and their behaviour once in power.

Quote:
I thought Peeta's treatment at the hands of Snow to be very believable. Peeta's healing from it was some of the best stuff in the book.I liked how Katniss had to learn to be compassionate and understanding, rather than defensive whenever Peeta said something to her.
I think a lot of what Katniss experienced in Mockingjay in relation to Peeta's captivity and brainwashing gave her an insight into what her mother experienced after Mr Everdeen died. I think it helped her to realise that when people are suffering in that way, they can't just "snap out of it".

Quote:
This was one of the predictions that I had right. I think it was because I had so much experience predicting Harry Potter books.
I predicted that the Capital would find a way to get Katniss back into the Hunger Games as punishment for what she did in her first game.
Before the Quell was announced in CF, I imagined they'd rig the reaping for Prim and/or Gale to take part, and Katniss would be unable to volunteer for Prim a second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
No. So much of what I loved about the books, especially the last one, was knowing what Katniss is thinking. I guess there could be voice-over in the movies but there would need to be a lot unless scenes were added in to illustrate Katniss's thoughts. Also, I'm kind of afraid the cast will be white washed.

ETA: I hope they cast actual teens to play teens. And I know I probably won't get this, but I hope they all have geographically appropriate accents. I really want Katniss to sound like she's from the Appalachian region.
I think voice-overs can come across as very cheesy most of the time. To state the obvious, I think the producers/casting directors need to find a really, really good young actress to play Katniss - if the movie is going to stick with her POV, as she'll be on her own on-screen quite a bit. I wonder, too, if the movies will play up the love triangle too much. I hope not, as I think the rebellion is a more interesting plot. Plus, it's not about Katniss choosing between the two guys, it's about her being able to choose for herself.
As you mention white-washing, it reminds me -I think it's interesting that race and gender don't seem to be issues in Panem. Hopefully, the films will reflect this.

Something else that occurred to me - did anyone else think Haymitch was much older when they read HG? I imagined him to be in his fifties, maybe, or sixties. Then found out in CF that he won the Games twenty five years previously, so could only be in his early forties at most.

Old January 4th, 2011, 11:11 pm
Fifth Year

Responses to FurryDice all under one big spoiler tag

FurryDice
Quote:
I think voice-overs can come across as very cheesy most of the time. To state the obvious, I think the producers/casting directors need to find a really, really good young actress to play Katniss - if the movie is going to stick with her POV, as she'll be on her own on-screen quite a bit.
Definitely. She goes through so many emotions that I'm kind of worried about if they'll be able to find an actress who can pull it off. I know older actors could. But how many teens could?

FurryDice
Quote:
I wonder, too, if the movies will play up the love triangle too much. I hope not, as I think the rebellion is a more interesting plot. Plus, it's not about Katniss choosing between the two guys, it's about her being able to choose for herself.
I completely agree. It bothers me when people focus so much on that. Personally, I was glad she ended up with Peeta, but not because I liked Peeta and wanted him to end up with the protagonist. It was because I wanted Katniss to heal from her experiences and see that the world isn't always horrible, and she could do that with Peeta. But if she had done that on her own, I would have liked that as well. I like that she could make the decision to try to be happy.

FurryDice
Quote:
As you mention white-washing, it reminds me -I think it's interesting that race and gender don't seem to be issues in Panem. Hopefully, the films will reflect this.
Well, I think that race (and culture) do play a part in the books. People in the different regions seem to have certain looks. The people of the Seam have the olive skin, dark hair, and gray eyes like Katniss. The People in district 11 have dark brown skin and eyes (Rue and Thresh are both described this way and they don't seem to be related). And I think even Finnick was described as having the look of the fishing district. One thing I noticed in the books is that in District 12, the upper class people tend to have blond hair, blue eyes, lighter skin. Mrs. Everdeen (who's from a merchant family), Peeta (the baker's son), Madge and her mother (the mayor's family) - they're all described this way.

Also, the avoxes all seem to be red heads. There's a point in Mockingjay where someone (I forget who) refers to the Avoxes as "reds" or "red heads" indicating that red hair was a common feature among them all.

FurryDice
Quote:
Something else that occurred to me - did anyone else think Haymitch was much older when they read HG? I imagined him to be in his fifties, maybe, or sixties. Then found out in CF that he won the Games twenty five years previously, so could only be in his early forties at most.
Yeah I thought he was older. But I guess I was just comparing him to alcoholics I usually come in contact with.

Old January 6th, 2011, 8:36 pm
Third Year

I just finished the whole series. I loved it.

I was shocked when she killed President Coin. I did not see that coming.

I was also really disappointed with how they handled the triangle. Making it so that Gale could have been responsible for Prim's death really bothered me, and as much as I liked Peeta, I don't think she was ever in love with him, and only settled for him because she felt she couldn't be with Gale.

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin6 View Post
I just finished the whole series. I loved it.

I was also really disappointed with how they handled the triangle. Making it so that Gale could have been responsible for Prim's death really bothered me, and as much as I liked Peeta, I don't think she was ever in love with him, and only settled for him because she felt she couldn't be with Gale.
I think the series ends in a confusing way in general, because one expects a happy love story at the end, but the author didn't write a love story, she wrote a war novel.

Katniss was so broken at the end of Mockingjay, that she wasn't looking for love as so much that she was looking for any kind of peace. Peeta was able to provide that for her, primarily because he'd been there, experiencing the same horrors that she did. It's one thing to strategize for and volunteer to fight in a war, as Gale did, another thing to be forced into survival mode over and over.

For me the theme of the books is manipulation, betrayal and unknown consequences. Gale designed manipulative weapons - he had no control over how they were used - but he designed them for Coin, who used them as she wanted. Coin used Gale's weapons to her own gain not caring what Katniss or Gale lost in the process.

Quote:
Totally - I didn't expect him to be my age! I think it was all the mention of the gruff voice that made me think he was older. But I think having been through THG and then lost so many tributes would have easily aged him beyond his years.

Last edited by HMN; January 6th, 2011 at 10:37 pm.
Old January 7th, 2011, 1:24 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
Definitely. She goes through so many emotions that I'm kind of worried about if they'll be able to find an actress who can pull it off. I know older actors could. But how many teens could?
Which brings back the problem of older actors not being able to pass for teenagers.

Quote:
Well, I think that race (and culture) do play a part in the books. People in the different regions seem to have certain looks. The people of the Seam have the olive skin, dark hair, and gray eyes like Katniss. The People in district 11 have dark brown skin and eyes (Rue and Thresh are both described this way and they don't seem to be related). And I think even Finnick was described as having the look of the fishing district. One thing I noticed in the books is that in District 12, the upper class people tend to have blond hair, blue eyes, lighter skin. Mrs. Everdeen (who's from a merchant family), Peeta (the baker's son), Madge and her mother (the mayor's family) - they're all described this way.
I agree, there does seem to be people of different ethnicities living in different districts. However, people don't seem to draw distinctions along those lines. The distinctions seem to be more Capitol/Districts, poor/very poor. (Peeta's family were merchant-class, but still had to make do with the stale bread from their own bakery) In District 12, Katniss would have no opportunity to see someone who looked like Rue, except perhaps the annual Victory Tours. However, for her, skin colour is no more significant than eye colour when describing someone, despite lacking any contact with people of different ethnicity. There are divisions, but people don't seem to care about ethnicity that much, it seems.

Quote:
Also, the avoxes all seem to be red heads. There's a point in Mockingjay where someone (I forget who) refers to the Avoxes as "reds" or "red heads" indicating that red hair was a common feature among them all.
I'm not sure about that. There are other Avoxes mentioned at the Training Centre, and they're not specifically described as having red hair. Plus, Effie tactlessly refers to Darius and the runaway Avox girl as "a matching pair". I don't think she'd consider it noteworthy that they were both redheads if all Avoxes were redheads. Also, Avoxes were punished in that terrifying way for some "crime" against the Capitol, I don't think hair colour came into it. Darius, the Peacekeeper, was mutilated for intervening in Gale's whipping.

Quote:
Katniss was so broken at the end of Mockingjay, that she wasn't looking for love as so much that she was looking for any kind of peace. Peeta was able to provide that for her, primarily because he'd been there, experiencing the same horrors that she did. It's one thing to strategize for and volunteer to fight in a war, as Gale did, another thing to be forced into survival mode over and over.
I think Katniss mentions at the end of Mockingjay that Peeta helps her find a calmness that she doesn't have with Gale. I think that shows in her earliest mentions of Gale, raging about the Capitol (understandably) and his comments that killing a person can't be much harder than killing a person.

Quote:
Totally - I didn't expect him to be my age! I think it was all the mention of the gruff voice that made me think he was older. But I think having been through THG and then lost so many tributes would have easily aged him beyond his years.
That had to have a horrible effect on him. And, as MistressofRaven says, he seems older because of his problem with alcohol, also.

Something else that's occurred to me. Katniss speculates in CF that the reaping may be rigged to select victor's children for dramatic effect. And that her potential children would be chosen to punish her for the strife stirred up by her actions. Given the revelations in Mockingjay about what the Capitol did to Haymitch and Finnick, I'm thinking other victor's children were chosen to punish their victor parent for some transgression.

Old January 7th, 2011, 1:26 am
Fifth Year

I think that even though Gale didn't know how his design would be used, he's still responsible for its use. He designed a bomb that would prey on human compassion, counting on people who would rush to help the wounded. He may not have thought the bomb would kill Prim, but he knew it would kill whatever people happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It wouldn't have been any better if he had killed someone else's sister or daughter. He made a weapon to kill people and that's what it did.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction