Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Is JK Rowling writing in the Inkling tradtion?

Old April 10th, 2009, 3:53 am
First Year

Re: Is JK Rowling writing in the Inkling tradtion?

I do not think that the books are specifically trying to retell Christian stories, but, as has already been pointed out a few times, there is the overall theme of good vs evil. But the more I think about it there is one specific example that stands out to me as being especially Christian: when Harry goes to the forest at the end of DH and sacrifices himself to Voldemort in order to save the rest of the wizarding word, since Voldemort cannot die without Harry doing this. This reminds me a whole lot of Aslan giving himself up and being sacrificed on the stone table. In both instances the hero conquers death and returns, and Aslan has already been identified as representing Jesus/God. Can Harry fill this type of role what so ever? I don't see the theme through the HP series as in Narnia, but I think the element of self sacrifice is too big to ignore.

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:01 am
First Year

Re: Is JK Rowling writing in the Inkling tradtion?

I'm a Christian, just figured I'd say that first. So, of course, I see that there are parts that are undeniably Christian, like the Harry going to the forest so that he can sacrafice himself for everyone. I don't think that the books are completely Christian, though I can see the parts where there are some of those representations. Those things just seemed to kind of come out as the books went on. They also stick about half-way to the inkling tradition, because the world isn't completely made up(ex. there is an actual London). But the rules for the wizarding part of the world ARE completely made up by JKR, making it partly in the inkling tradition.

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve