Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Severus Snape and Muggle Culture

Old July 13th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape and Muggle Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I'd say, when Sev was home between school terms, he probably listened to whatever his father listened to or, being a Muggle, his father may have had a TV. I don't think he had the financial means to have his own radio or TV.
I think the Snapes would very likely have a TV. Most British families at that time did even poor ones, they were usually rented.

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:04 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
I think the Snapes would very likely have a TV. Most British families at that time did even poor ones, they were usually rented.
So, what was then on TV? (Monty Python, probably? )

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:47 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
So, what was then on TV? (Monty Python, probably? )
Definitely Monty Python. I'm sure TT can fill us in on other popular British programming of the period.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 14th, 2010, 5:57 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

He might have liked some of the Monty Python skits. The Avengers was on in the mid 60's, Sherlock Holmes, Till Death Do Us Part (which "All in the Family" was based on), and, how could I have been so lax...Benny Hill. I think young Severus might have enjoyed Benny Hill..

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old July 14th, 2010, 6:10 am

Oooh. I like to think of Severus watching the Avengers! But he might have been very snarky about it in later years when he learned what spying is really all about!

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 14th, 2010, 7:28 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

But, as a boy just getting ready to start into his teen, Mrs. Peel in her jumpsuit would probably have had some appeal to him.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
He might have liked some of the Monty Python skits. The Avengers was on in the mid 60's, Sherlock Holmes, Till Death Do Us Part (which "All in the Family" was based on), and, how could I have been so lax...Benny Hill. I think young Severus might have enjoyed Benny Hill..
Yes!

I wonder what childrens programmes he may have seen during the 60's as he was only very young then. He must have seen, Blue Peter, Thunderbirds, Top Cat. I could go on.

In the 70's there was Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army and dramas such as Colditz and I Claudius. The latter would have been a good insight to being a DE with all the deception, intruige and murder.

Hmmm...I wonder if he ever saw any James Bond movies? Stupid question really, as if he did watch TV he couldn't avoid them as they used to be screened every bank holiday. What am I saying? "used to be" They still are! Oh, and The Great Escape every Christmas.

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; July 14th, 2010 at 11:05 am.
Old July 14th, 2010, 3:17 pm

I hate to be a party pooper but I find it really unlikely that they did have a TV - remember the Snapes were poor and at that time TV's were very expensive and there just wasn't one in every house (in the UK anyway) but he might have seen some when he was visiting Lily (not sure how Petunia would have dealt with that!)

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old July 14th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittling View Post
I hate to be a party pooper but I find it really unlikely that they did have a TV - remember the Snapes were poor and at that time TV's were very expensive and there just wasn't one in every house (in the UK anyway) but he might have seen some when he was visiting Lily (not sure how Petunia would have dealt with that!)
Yes, not every house in the UK would have had a TV, but most would. It was the Queen's Coronation in 1953 that saw an initial rise in the number of TV's. However by the end of the 60's most houses in the UK had a set. I never knew anyone that didn't and we were quite poor and used to rent our TV which was black and white. I also knew families who were poorer and came from areas similar to the Snape's, in fact my gran used to live in such an area and they all had a TV set, so I see it as very possible.

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; July 14th, 2010 at 9:24 pm.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:04 pm
Fifth Year

I can't imagine Snape relating to comedy programmes....

Old August 5th, 2010, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
I can't imagine Snape relating to comedy programmes....
I dunno. Snape himself was hysterically funny, in a very snarky, dry way.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old August 9th, 2010, 4:58 pm
Fourth Year

I wonder if he likes Lily Allen.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:38 am
Second Year

For some reason (probably because it's around that era) I can see a teenage Snape listening to Sex Pistols and the Buzzcocks.

I imagine Ever Fallen In Love would have a particular appeal to him.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.
Old October 24th, 2010, 3:00 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Eh, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't picture Snape listening to anything other than classical music. Most likely Romantic composers such as Beethoven, Bruckner, Tchaikovsky (more likely the symphonies rather than the ballets), Rachmaninov, even Mahler. He certainly has a flair for drama. I think he'd like Bach a lot as well, the complex counterpoint harmonies and mathematical precision. I can even picture him listening to someone like Stravinsky or Bartók, but otherwise I don't think he'd like 20th century classical music very much.

Can't picture him listening to pop music - especially not as a teenager - he hated everything Muggle then. Can't imagine him watching telly as an adult, either. Television is kind of a 'lowbrow' form of entertainment, like it or not, and Snape seems like the kind of man who would despise it.

As for books, I can picture him being an aficionado of Russian literature - the Brothers Karamazov is a novel which might suit his tastes, IMO.

It'd be fun to do this for other characters. I think Hermione would've definitely read all the Muggle classics.

Old November 11th, 2010, 7:57 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAHole View Post
For some reason (probably because it's around that era) I can see a teenage Snape listening to Sex Pistols and the Buzzcocks.

I imagine Ever Fallen In Love would have a particular appeal to him.
Me too, me too!

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old November 11th, 2010, 8:08 pm
Second Year

speaking of the type of music snape would enjoy, anyone else get the feeling he would have liked classical music? forgive me if this has already been addressed in this thread.

Old December 24th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Fifth Year

Severus may not have liked Muggles, but I think he'd have enjoyed quite a bit of Muggle music -- and at the time he was coming up, there was a lot to enjoy! The Beatles were still in the studio (though they'd given up live touring) and were doing some of their best work; the Stones were still the nasty bad boys of rock; so many other bands, too.

I can definitely see him getting into the Moody Blues, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Manfred Mann, Mannheim Steamroller, even sometimes Electric Light Orchestra. Maybe not so much disco, though. On occasion, when he'd be in a soppy mood, the Bee Gees. Billy Joel. Gilbert O'Sullivan. Simon & Garfunkel.

I think he'd have seen Star Wars, at least the first one. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Five Easy Pieces. (I can definitely see him being a Jack Nicholson fan.) Young Frankenstein. Maybe the Godfather. Dog Day Afternoon. All The President's Men. Life of Brian. Midnight Express. The Man Who Would Be King. Tommy.

I definitely see him wearing bellbottoms, a wide belt, and patterned shirts.

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old January 4th, 2011, 1:30 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiraSnape View Post
Severus may not have liked Muggles, but I think he'd have enjoyed quite a bit of Muggle music -- and at the time he was coming up, there was a lot to enjoy! The Beatles were still in the studio (though they'd given up live touring) and were doing some of their best work; the Stones were still the nasty bad boys of rock; so many other bands, too.

I can definitely see him getting into the Moody Blues, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Manfred Mann, Mannheim Steamroller, even sometimes Electric Light Orchestra. Maybe not so much disco, though. On occasion, when he'd be in a soppy mood, the Bee Gees. Billy Joel. Gilbert O'Sullivan. Simon & Garfunkel.

I think he'd have seen Star Wars, at least the first one. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Five Easy Pieces. (I can definitely see him being a Jack Nicholson fan.) Young Frankenstein. Maybe the Godfather. Dog Day Afternoon. All The President's Men. Life of Brian. Midnight Express. The Man Who Would Be King. Tommy.

I definitely see him wearing bellbottoms, a wide belt, and patterned shirts.
Yes I agree, even if he disliked muggles, he must have been exposed to pop culture, as he lived in a muggle neightbourhood. I don't know very much about British pop culture, as I am Spanish, however, I remember watching Benny Hill's show as a child and I have always imagined Severus and Lily watching this while having tea at Lily's home. Also "Night in white satin " by th Moody Blues reminds me a lot of Snape.
I picture him enjoying more the pop music than the classicals, as someone pointed out in previous post. The reason is that in a low class muggle district there would be much more of pop and less of classical And also it is later when he start to "improve himself" at first he just absorbs what is around.
The same goes for poetry, I imagine him and Lily enjoying a good book, but not necessarily poetry as this tends to be difficult for children and of unclear meaning.

Still I wonder if he could drive a car or if he knew about PC.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Old January 13th, 2011, 3:29 pm

I think what we can say about Severus and Muggle culture, was that even in his thirties he was being exposed to it, as he mentions the "Dream Team" in CoS, a nickname given to the US 1992 Olympic basketball team. This makes me wonder if Severus actually made a point to keep in touch with the Muggle world, as Dumbledore did by reading Muggle newspapers.

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; January 14th, 2011 at 12:23 pm.
Old January 13th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Fifth Year

I once read a fanfic where he took a weekend off and went to a Metallica concert. This to me fits Severus to a T. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a rather large collection of black metalhead tour tee-shirts, and wears them under his buttons...

And somewhere at Spinner's End is a CD player and a large, eclectic collection of CD's. If we want to venture into movie canon, he's familiar enough with the concept of slide projectors to have one in the classroom during PoA... steampunk, it's true, but still...

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve