Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old September 21st, 2015, 6:07 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Still Alice - 9 out of 10

I thought the film did a good job providing a realistic glimpse into the onset of Alzheimer's and its effect on the patient and family members. Julianne Moore's performance deserved all the accolades it received.

....I miss David Tennant....

Last edited by HedwigOwl; October 1st, 2015 at 5:40 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2015, 7:03 pm
Curse Breaker

The Intern 7/10

This was a nice comedy or dramedy that seemed to suffer from story problems near the end. De Niro was fine (not spectacular, not awful, but steady) as the lead here. Anne Hathaway did a pretty good job doing the portraying the rainbow for the head of a startup who also happened to be a young mother. Some of the "cute touches" in the latter half of the film either fell flat or were unnecessary.
Spoiler: show
Does the startup really have to be housed in the building where De Niro used to be an executive for a now obsolete business? If so, did they have to just throw it in at the last second? The "e-mail caper" felt like part of a completely different movie, a skit from "Sex Tape" that actors from this film acted out because...why? And the stay-at-home Dad's "Jody" problems weren't necessary and basically cheapened the end of the film.
I thoroughly enjoyed maybe 90% of The Holiday (and still do). I was hoping for something I could wholeheartedly embrace with this cast...and instead, clunk.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 1st, 2015, 4:17 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

The Godfather III 4/10 - weak plot, bad acting from Sofia Coppola, too many cliches, effects over depth.

Old October 11th, 2015, 1:44 am
Member of the Order

Pan

A mess from start to finish. The script is even worse.

I don't recommend it at all.

I wasted my time watching this. Learn from my post and see another movie. ANY movie.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old October 12th, 2015, 2:52 pm

The Shape of Things - 3/10 - Badly conceived and badly acted.

Old October 12th, 2015, 3:21 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Juno

A great performance from Ellen Page, even though the script gives her dialogue which is way more sophisticated than any average 16 year old would say. I hated the intrusive irritating soundtrack, all apparently done by one particular singer with a very annoying voice. The mother was annoying, but I liked JK Simmons as Juno's dad. Sent a decent message about supportive families being essential in cases of teen pregnancies. I hate Michael Cera in everything he does, but I liked Jason Bateman as the reluctant adoptive father struggling with Jennifer Garner as his overbearing wife.

A good movie. Definitely worth watching.

Old October 18th, 2015, 4:37 am
Member of the Order

Goosebumps

I had low expectations...but this was a surprisingly fun movie. Far better than I thought it would be. And it definitely had some nice scary moments.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old October 21st, 2015, 8:47 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Burying The Ex

This was surprisingly good. Ashley Greene was a riot playing an ex-girlfriend who simply refuses to break up with her boyfriend, despite the fact she's dead and has become a zombie.

Whiplash

The message of the movie is just awful. The jazz student is basically abused by his teacher. The movie doesn't seem to understand this. The acting performances are excellent, but the overall theme of the film is grotesque.

Last edited by AldeberanBlack; October 26th, 2015 at 1:16 am.
Old October 30th, 2015, 12:57 am
Sixth Year

Iron Man 2, 3/10

Robert Downey Jr. fits wonderfully in Tony Stark's skin, but the movie is nonsensical even for a comic-based one. Synthetizing a new unknown element in your garage? Yes, no problem. Please, people!

Reign of Fire, 5/10

Predictible, full of cliches and with important plot holes (Where do they get fuel for so many trucks and a helicopter? Why should the male dragon be precisely in London?). However, it's not very pretentious and provides entertainment for a dull afternoon. Christian Bale helps. And the Star Wars act play between Bale and Buttler is so hilarious.

Old November 21st, 2015, 5:10 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Fifty Shades Of Grey

Honestly it wasn't that bad. The source material is terrible, but they did the best they could with it. Dakota Johnson was very good. She looks the part. Very pretty, and quite brave to play this character given the damage it could have done to her career if it didn't work. The guy playing Christian Grey was basically a cardboard cutout, but that wasn't his fault. He didn't have much of a character to work with. It's about as sexy as a piece of toast though. Might have been better served had the book been written and adapted during the era of Nine and Half Weeks and Basic Instinct, both of which were far more explicit. The film doesn't take itself too seriously. It knows it's trashy, escapist, nonsense, and in that context, it's a success. It's the first part of a trilogy I presume, but this is probably the best it will get, since the second and third books are truly terrible. But as a stand alone film, it's fine. I recommend checking it out, but don't watch it with your parents.

Old November 22nd, 2015, 1:22 am
Member of the Order

Saw the final Mockingjay movie.
Never read the books so there were a couple of surprises. The surprise towards the end wasn't really. (Saw it coming) However I wasn't sure what would follow, which was pretty much a lengthy epilogue.
The movie does the job for me; entertains while finally putting the series to bed.

Old November 22nd, 2015, 3:06 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Fury--mediocre war film; the characters are never really fleshed out enough to care about them or even like them, the new guy in the tank crew goes from "too moral to kill" to blasting away while yelling profanities way too abruptly, the action sequences are hard to follow, and a lot of stuff seems to happen completely randomly without any real indication of why it's in the movie. I guess that random things happening out of nowhere with no context is probably pretty common in an actual war in real life, but it's not really that appropriate for a movie that's supposed to tell a story. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it's not one I can see myself ever choosing to watch again.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old November 25th, 2015, 3:32 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The Interview

I thought it was hilarious, although I could certainly see why North Korea didn't.

Old November 27th, 2015, 12:51 am
Member of the Order

Creed
Simply amazing.
If you liked the first movie, then you'll like this one.
It has the same heart and the same respect.

Spoiler: show
Heartbreaking in a way. When Rocky is diagnosed with the early stages of cancer he refuses to fight. Everything he's ever cared about is gone...moved on, and he's still here. and didn't want to be, or so it seemed to me. It's just one of the "punches" that hits you in the gut in this movie

Old November 27th, 2015, 11:42 am

Mockingjay 2 - 7/10 - I thought it was very well rendered and acted.

Old November 28th, 2015, 11:38 am
MODLY CREW

Mockingjay part 2 - 7/10 grim film but well done. I did not care for the Potteresque epilogue which felt more fantastic than the rest of the films.

Old November 29th, 2015, 11:48 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Good Night and Good Luck -- 10/10

This movie was really well acted and well done. It captured the Joe Mccarthy era almost perfectly and it was very eerie.

Blackhat -- 7/10

An ok thriller. Liked it well enough and the acting was pretty decent.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; December 2nd, 2015 at 3:37 am.
Old December 21st, 2015, 9:48 am

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 7/10

Old December 21st, 2015, 3:28 pm
Sixth Year

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 7.5/10

Feels almost like the old ones, but it also feels different. Amazing visuals, not so cartoon-like as inEpisodes I-III, thanks Merlin. The new young heroes get you to like them immediately, specially Rey. BB8 is lovely. Harrison Ford seems never having stopped being Han Solo in 30 years.

The bad things... They're mostly spoilers, so I won't write them here.

The worst thing is: having to wait years for the next one

Old December 22nd, 2015, 5:42 pm
Eldest Gruff

I think one of the best thing of VII is that you can really look forward the next instalments. It's great they brought the old atmosphere back - although the plot could have been more, dunno, witty? Another reason to look forward VIII, though.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion