Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old July 9th, 2010, 6:33 pm
Fifth Year

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

[quote=Phrozenone;5565043
Now the hospital scene is fantastic. I think it's hilarious that the teachers are just standing there while all this teen drama unfolds. That's what makes the scene work I think. Lavender is at top form here. Completely over the top and Dumbledore just tops it off with his line at the end. I wish Snape would've made a face at Dumbledore after he said the line though. Now THAT would've been awesome.
[QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, that so would have worked! Or at least a saracastic roll of the eyes, or something!

...Or he could have stood on Dumbledore's foot...that would have been hilarious!

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2010, 7:21 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
Completely over the top and Dumbledore just tops it off with his line at the end. I wish Snape would've made a face at Dumbledore after he said the line though. Now THAT would've been awesome.
In one of the TV-spots I seem to recall that he raised an eyebrow to this, but I probably just imagined it

Old July 9th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
In one of the TV-spots I seem to recall that he raised an eyebrow to this, but I probably just imagined it
I just watched the scene, and I don't think he does that, so it would've been funny.

Though I've noticed that when Lavender says in a highly hilarious, over dramatic voice, "Don't worry, Won-Won, I'm here," Snape fleetingly glances over to Dumbledore with an odd look, as if asking silently, "Won-Won?! What in the world...?"

Alan Rickman's subtle facial expressions are priceless, in my opinion.

Old July 9th, 2010, 8:45 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan74 View Post
I'm not sure if I understand your comment about Romilda Vane, though, Yoshi. Romilda Vane's interest in Harry was brought up in chapter 15 and now it's continued.
I know some who had a hard time finding out who she was, but once I mentioned "the girl in the library" they seemed to recall her

Last edited by Noldus; July 9th, 2010 at 8:49 pm.
Old July 10th, 2010, 9:07 pm
First Year

I love how badly the actor that portrayed Lavender Brown acted because that's wat made the movie sooo funny. and yes, romilda vane was the chick from the library.

Old July 21st, 2010, 9:40 am
Fifth Year

Previous Chapter Posts:
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18

Chapter 19

A strong chapter this one, Draco's experiments with the Vanishing Cabinet start to become quite intriguing, and while I don't think they properly re-established what the Room of Requirement is (will non-readers understand why Harry cannot follow Draco or why the door disappeared?), it doesn't matter too much. The birds were a very good idea and were used well to represent the progression of Draco's scheme, as well as the dangers should it go wrong. You get a good sense of how difficult it must be for Draco to do all this on his own.

The scene in the Great Hall is OK, nothing more. It's a fun goodbye to Lavender, and while Yates tries to introduce Sectumsempra here, we really should have heard Harry say the word out loud so we can immediately recognise it in a moment. Just showing the page isn't really enough.

Anyway, I like the tension between Malfoy and Harry, Felton is convincing and while Radcliffe doesn't have to do much he doesn't do it badly. The bathroom scuffle is very well done, and Snape's entrance is great. It's nice to see some actual blood in the movies for once as well. The only thing I don't like about the scene is that they use the Drink of Despair music from later, not the first time they've gotten lazy with the score, and while it fits here, it wouldn't have killed them to produce an original cue rather than pinching this one.

Any other business:
  • There's a bit of track 14, 'Malfoy's Mission', as well as a section of Track 23, 'The Drink of Despair' during the chapter.

Old July 21st, 2010, 9:48 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
The scene in the Great Hall is OK, nothing more. It's a fun goodbye to Lavender, and while Yates tries to introduce Sectumsempra here, we really should have heard Harry say the word out loud so we can immediately recognise it in a moment. Just showing the page isn't really enough.
Harry does say the spell out loud in a previous scene in the Gryffindor common room, when asking Hermione: "Have you heard of this spell- Sectumsempra?"

I agree, Snape's entrance is fantastic. The way he simply stares at Harry is very chilling and his inscrutable expression shows Rickman is portraying the idea that this spell seems rather familiar to him...

Tom Felton's acting is also, in my opinion, superb- and I love how he starts to cry due to the basic image of the bird, showing that he's beginning to crack under this immense pressure.

Old July 21st, 2010, 2:04 pm
Registered Animagus

A great scene in the movie.

I also liked the birds throughout the movie, and they were probably one of the genius parts of the movie added that wasn't in the book. (at least I don't think it was?) Tom Felton's delivers an excellent performance through out these scenes, though I do have one little bicker. For some reason I don't like how he cries. It always sounds a little fake and forced to me. But that is my opinion.

One of the new cast additions I like in this movie is Katie Bell. She's great during the necklace scene, and I really like her in this scene when she talks to Harry.

Hermione's dialogue of "Harry, it's Katie! Katie Bell?" erks me. It seems... not needed.

The bathroom fight was great. Nigel was supposed to be in this scene, and I was so relieved that part was cut. I think he was supposed to be in a cubicle when Harry and Draco look under the toilet barricades.

The Sectumsempra spell was great, and I like how it was portrayed injuring Draco.

I also really liked Snape's entrance into the scene. Chilling performance how he stares at Harry, and the singing spell was wonderful.

Old July 21st, 2010, 6:41 pm
Fifth Year

One of the best scenes in the film, and owing not a little to Felton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hermione's dialogue of "Harry, it's Katie! Katie Bell?" erks me. It seems... not needed.
But as a big fan you know, of course, who Katie is and the significance of information she might have. Most casual viewers would need a reminder of who she was: her ten second scene being well in the past.

This is why top notch adaptations cut these very minor parts and give their roles - in this case "victim" - to a more important character.

Old July 21st, 2010, 6:45 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
One of the best scenes in the film, and owing not a little to Felton.

But as a big fan you know, of course, who Katie is and the significance of information she might have. Most casual viewers would need a reminder of who she was: her ten second scene being well in the past.

This is why top notch adaptations cut these very minor parts and give their roles - in this case "victim" - to a more important character.
Yeah I know it was probably a pretty important thing from Hermione to remind the audience who Katie was. Just seems out of place.

Old July 21st, 2010, 9:16 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I don't know why the even bothered with Katie Bell. Why not have Luna or Neville or even Hermione (that way it might appear more like the assassin is targeting Harry rather than Dumbledore)? Someone who won't need to be awkwardly reintroduced every time they appear. Harry seemed to know Katie quite well earlier when he said she would never have carried the necklace willingly, but now he needs to be reminded who she is? To be reminded of her full name? A little clunky, to say the least.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 9:24 am
Second Year

I love this whole chapter not so much for the word acting but the expressions on the faces.
Lavander: you can practically see the steam coming out of her ears and a range of expressions as she watches Ron at breakfast.
Hermione: the delightfully smug smile as she looks at Lavander over Harry's shoulder.
Ron: thinking that he remembers something from the hospital but not quite believing it.
Malfoy: watching Katie Bell talking to Harry without knowing if she remembers anything about the necklace. His face, as he blows the bird's feather from his sleeve, when he finds the bird dead in the cabinet, looking at himself in the mirror before Harry finds him.

I've never realized before that Borgin and Burke's shop was in the scene and you can hear the bird whistling before it goes back to Hogwarts. I don't know why I missed this.

This scene is all about internal feelings, until Harry and Draco come face to face.

As for Hermione telling Harry about Katie Bell, it's not that he doesn't know who she is but he's engrossed in the old Potions book and I think that's why 'sectumsempra' comes so quickly to him when fighting Malfoy.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 1:05 pm
Second Year

There are many great parts in this scene from Rickman, who makes a great entrance with his very knowing look and from Tom Felton, who shows that he can show both total misery and more subtle forms of despair. Malfoy’s mission has a lot of good visual and auditive motifs throughout, like the birds, the broken opera record and also the views we get of Borgin & Burke’s. The lighting and the atmosphere of this shot was superb.

The part of the scene relating to Ron, Hermione and Lavender was just ok. In spite of some Rupert Grint’s knack for capturing the awkard and absent-minded aspects of Ron’s nature, I don’t think it gets above what I would call serviceable.

I don’t interpret the line about Katie Bell as an attempt to reintroduce the character or remind the audience. Not that it is of great consequence, but I wouldn't understand why that should be neccessary in the first place. The necklace scene had a significant shock effect and Katie's name was mentioned several times.
In this scene I only see Hermione alerting Harry to Katie’s presence when Harry is engrossed in his potions book, just like someone would do in an ordinary situation if they were trying to get your attention when your mind is elsewhere.

It’s true that many good adaptations cut minor roles to give the screen time or a particular incident to a more central character. If it’s going to work it still depends on a number of factors. First thing the scene which is changed to the more central character needs to be integrated into this character’s part in the story. Another important condition is the needs to fulfil is saving time by combining and compressing different elements of the story.

The central and well-known characters in this film are needed for other and more important functions than just being a casual victim, which is all the victim in the necklace scene actually is. The only central character who could be easily used in my opinion would be Neville, seeing as he has so little to do. Ginny could be used perhaps, but only provided they had changed and restructured her storyline quite radically. I think it made sense to keep Katie Bell as the victim because it shows that the victims are random victims of murder attempts and not the intended targets.

Last edited by jan74; July 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 pm.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:16 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
That is so true I actually remember a girl in the cinema asking around: Ok, she's Katie Bell...who?
Anyway I really love this scene: the camera movements, Harry walking into the students, the cinematography, I wish all the scenes in HBP had the same tension

Old July 23rd, 2010, 5:18 am
Second Year

I've had another look at this chapter and I was struck by the look on Snapes face as he sees Draco and Harry. Perhaps it's because I've just re-read the Prince's tale but that looks forshadows the discussion with Dumbledore about how close Harry and Voldemort's souls are entangled. It's almost as though using the sectumsempra puts that thought into Snape's mind as well as recognising the spell as his. Of course, this scene in the film is different to the book but once again, it's the expressions that tell the story.

Old July 24th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheka View Post
I've had another look at this chapter and I was struck by the look on Snapes face as he sees Draco and Harry. Perhaps it's because I've just re-read the Prince's tale but that looks forshadows the discussion with Dumbledore about how close Harry and Voldemort's souls are entangled. It's almost as though using the sectumsempra puts that thought into Snape's mind as well as recognising the spell as his. Of course, this scene in the film is different to the book but once again, it's the expressions that tell the story.
Yes, in my opinion, you can tell how much thought and dedication Rickman has devoted to this small time on screen- it's what makes his portrayal of the character all the more memorable, I think.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 5:23 pm
Second Year

Lavender grinding her spoon into the table was great and I'm surprised they kept in the "stop it Ron, you're making it snow" moment.

The Sectumsempra scene was very well done and even better than in the book IMO. For a PG-Rated film I was surprised they could show that much blood; very well done.

Old August 7th, 2010, 8:13 am
Fifth Year

Previous Chapter Posts:
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18

Chapter 19

Chapter 20

Fairly short chapter. I never quite understood why they don't simply destroy the book, chuck it in a fireplace or something, but I suppose it works well enough as a reason to get Harry and Ginny into the Room of Requirement. The relationship with Ginny is not something that worked too well for me, it wasn't really paced properly and she was such a dull character that it was never interesting. While Yates tried to give it a boost by shoving Ginny into most of the scenes with the trio and giving her the odd line here and there, I don't think it was enough as she sort of blends into the background in every scene in which she isn't the focus. The scene inside the actual Room is actually OK, although their are some cuts where the eye lines and blocking fail to match up, Bonnie Wright delivers a fairly natural performance, Radcliffe once again gets to stand still and do very little, and their kiss, while not the most passionate, is done much better than the equivalent scene in OOTP. The best touch though was the bird coming out of the Vanishing Cabinet, an excellent way to show us the progress Draco is making. The chapter ends with a short scene with Ron and Harry, I can't say I'm too enamoured with Ron's opening line, it feels awkward in a franchise that shies so determinedly away from realistic teenage relationships, nor am I a fan of the whole luck potion element that is resurrected at the close of this scene. I do like Slughorn's reaction to bumping into Harry.

Any other business:
  • Track 20 'When Ginny Kissed Harry' plays over the scene in the RoR.
  • There's various props from previous films scattered about the Room, some of the pyramidal instruments from the cabinets in Dumbledore's office in GOF, a few of Moodys lens things from GOF and some of the orrery type things from the Patronus lesson in POA. I'm sure there are others in there.

Last edited by yoshi2542; August 7th, 2010 at 12:56 pm.
Old August 7th, 2010, 12:56 pm
Second Year

Hardly anyone likes this scene especially the kiss and Harry's reaction or non-reaction to it but it's cut so that we don't know how long the two of them stayed in the room or how many kisses later they left. Once again it's Ginny who takes the initiative but only the fans who've read the book knows why Harry is keeping his distance. By the distracted look on Harry's face when he meets Ron I prefer to believe that that first tentative kiss was followed by a better one off camera.
The other problem was the RoR and the distraction of trying to see the bust of the old man wearing the diadem.
While Ginny is always in the background when she does move into a scene it's nearly always a 'take charge' moment, as now with the potions book. And I still think this scene is to lead them to the diadem in DH.
I loved the music.

Old August 7th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Fifth Year

I think the Harry/Ginny material was well written but not well directed or acted. Too low key. Too passionless. Too bland.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies