Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old September 14th, 2010, 6:30 pm
Fifth Year

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
Except, you know, it establishes that Voldemort likes to keep certain objects close to him, which he eventually does when he creates Horcruxes. The closeups during that memory are important: the diary, the seven stones, the image of the rocky cave where one Horcrux is located. The latter telling the audience how Dumbledore knew where to go to find the Horcrux.
I don't really see how a series of quick cuts, mere milliseconds in length, is enough to set up anything for anyone who didn't already know what to look for. The cave could have been introduced in any number of other ways. The orphanage memory in the movie establishes nothing concrete, it is not discussed and is forgotten about immediately. Had Dumbledore drawn attention to these things, I might agree with you, but he didn't. Few non-readers will catch those things in the scene.

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2010, 6:43 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
I don't really see how a series of quick cuts, mere milliseconds in length, is enough to set up anything for anyone who didn't already know what to look for. The cave could have been introduced in any number of other ways. The orphanage memory in the movie establishes nothing concrete, it is not discussed and is forgotten about immediately. Had Dumbledore drawn attention to these things, I might agree with you, but he didn't.
I completely disagree, of course. If the closeups weren't there to inform the audience, what were they there for? If there was exposition about how Dumbledore knew about the cave, many here may have said "show don't tell."

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Few non-readers will catch those things in the scene.
And it's commendable that Yates didn't spell it all out for viewers who may not like to look beyond the major points presented in a film. I've been writing a script for a short and having it looked over by someone who has experience in such matters and he told me that I have to spell certain things out for the audience as visuals alone aren't enough. It's nerve-racking and I'm glad those closeups were there because it goes against such conventions.

Old September 14th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Zonko's Employee

This is just a beautiful, touching scene filled with Pathos. This scene proved to me the power and effectiveness of Yates and Kloves as a team. This scene remains canon but takes liberties at the same time and is just as powerful as the scene in the book. It was genius in hindsight for including the fish story since it fits in with the topic of beloved pets that was introduced with Aragog's death, making Aragog's death relevant (his death was always relevant to me of-course but I'm talking about people who are suspicious of god-forbid something from the book making an appearance! ). The acting was also magnificent in this scene.

I also never once thought about the Luck potion at this point. As soon as Slughorn starts talking seriously and the 'Slughorn's confession' music kicks in, all thoughts of hilarity and luck potions slip my mind immediately. Yates has an ability in this film to so naturally switch gears from comic to drama in the space of only a few seconds.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; September 14th, 2010 at 7:54 pm.
Old September 15th, 2010, 2:09 am
Second Year

Harry under the Felix Felicis is one of my favorite moments in the film; despite catching a glimpse of Radcliffe, as opposed to Harry, I just thought the overall scenes with him under its spell hilarious.

The fish story was a perfect addition and the performances were amazing. I love the soft score, the look on Broadbent's face when he says something along the lines of "don't think less of me" and the smooth cut to Harry/Dumbledore about to observe the memory. A beautiful chapter.

Old September 15th, 2010, 4:23 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
This is just a beautiful, touching scene filled with Pathos. This scene proved to me the power and effectiveness of Yates and Kloves as a team. This scene remains canon but takes liberties at the same time and is just as powerful as the scene in the book. It was genius in hindsight for including the fish story since it fits in with the topic of beloved pets that was introduced with Aragog's death, making Aragog's death relevant (his death was always relevant to me of-course but I'm talking about people who are suspicious of god-forbid something from the book making an appearance! ). The acting was also magnificent in this scene.

I also never once thought about the Luck potion at this point. As soon as Slughorn starts talking seriously and the 'Slughorn's confession' music kicks in, all thoughts of hilarity and luck potions slip my mind immediately. Yates has an ability in this film to so naturally switch gears from comic to drama in the space of only a few seconds.
I agree. I thought the whole sequence was handled exceptionally well. The potion merely gave Harry the confidence in knowing he could trust his instincts completely, and that's evident by his behavior although nothing in the scene up until the time Hagrid passes out suggests Harry will be successful. Once Slughorn is emotionally vulnerable, Harry's behavior is wholly in character as he convinces Slughorn to give up the memory.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 15th, 2010, 4:25 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I agree. I thought the whole sequence was handled exceptionally well. The potion merely gave Harry the confidence in knowing he could trust his instincts completely, and that's evident by his behavior although nothing in the scene up until the time Hagrid passes out suggests Harry will be successful. Once Slughorn is emotionally vulnerable, Harry's behavior is wholly in character as he convinces Slughorn to give up the memory.
Exactly, how could anyone think that it was only because of the potion Harry said these things to Slughorn? Harry's personality while under the influence of the Luck potion is so over-the-top and comedic that when he starts talking seriously to Slughorn, you instantly forget about the luck potion. It's almost like Harry's spirit and character overcomes the effects of the potion at this point.

Old September 15th, 2010, 4:38 am
Fifth Year

I don't think the potion plays any part in Harry's speech either. You can see from his acting that it does not influence him anymore, or even if it does, the words are still something genuine. If the potion is controlling him, then he would probably act more like in the book instead.

I like how Slughorn is not drunk in this scene and is aware of why Harry is there, also the change in how Harry convince Slughorn gives the scene a completely different direction from the book, but in a good way. It's one of the best moments in the film IMO. Actually, I was not expecting it to be this good.

My favorite shot is Harry's grabbing Slughorn's trembling hand to comfort him when he gives up the memory. That part is brilliantly directed and filmed.

Old September 15th, 2010, 5:11 am
Zonko's Employee

Agreed about the hand! Such a nice moment. It shows quite clearly the difference between Harry Potter and Tom Riddle. They both kinda manipulated Slughorn and worked him to an extent to get what they wanted but in this moment we see the humanity, care and sensitivity that Harry has and that Riddle doesn't display.

Old September 15th, 2010, 5:17 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiHPFan View Post
My favorite shot is Harry's grabbing Slughorn's trembling hand to comfort him when he gives up the memory. That part is brilliantly directed and filmed.
Absolutely agreed, that's a beautiful image and a highly poignant moment.

Old September 15th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Fifth Year

So what some of you are implying is that the felic felicis effect wears off when Harry needs it the most? You are basically saying you agree it's a superfluous plot device. Otherwise an excellent scene, one of my favourites.

Old September 15th, 2010, 7:45 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
So what some of you are implying is that the felic felicis effect wears off when Harry needs it the most? You are basically saying you agree it's a superfluous plot device. Otherwise an excellent scene, one of my favourites.
I cannot speak for others, but my main impression was that the felix felicis effect was only important in giving Harry the idea of going to Hagrid and giving him the confidence neccessary to attract Slughorn's attention and curiosity in the first place. The luck potion doesn't really bother me, mainly because I enjoy the comedy of the previous scene and how it changes Harry's personality.

Old September 18th, 2010, 4:59 am
Fourth Year

Wonderful chapter this one is. One of my favorite scenes in the movie by far.

One thing I can say is that they handled Slughorns character arc brilliantly in this film. The whole film pretty much built up to this moment. Maybe there wasn't enough 'oomph' seeing how important this scene is but overall I enjoyed the ride. Let me do a quick run through the past few chapters I miss before I continue.

The Sectemsempra scene was nice. Last time I think we will ever see these characters in their school uniforms. Crazy to think about huh? The fight was short, to the point, intense and I really enjoyed it. Snape showing up was kind of random and I, like Yoshi, do wish they would've played a different music due there but overall a great scene.

The RoR scene is also a nice little scene. Bonnie and Dan did alright. It seems like they're trying to start their relationship from scratch in the films and I think it works. The score here is nice and once again Harry gets lip action in the Room of Requirement.

I do agree with those who say Harry really doesn't do much in this film. He doesn't. He's being lead from point a to point b by everyone. Maybe they did this on purpose. Regardless I kind of think it works for this film.

The Felix scene was made to be comedy. Nothing else. I really enjoyed it. Aragogs funeral is hilarious. I love the 'Farewell Aragog' track and the interaction between the three of them is spot on.

Ok now on to the scene at hand. I love how Hagrid falls asleep so quickly

One thing I love about this scene is the weight you fill over it. You can feel how much this secret has bothered Slughorn for so many years and how much Lily Potter really meant to him. The story about Frances the fish is brilliant. I love that the scene is quiet until he says her name and the music begins. This is the third time I think we hear this song (Slughorn's Confession) and it is a wonderul tune.

Not much more I can say. A very well done scene.

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."
Old September 21st, 2010, 4:08 am
Second Year

I'm a bit sorry this scene wasn't set up a little more like the book, to start with. Slughorn's avaricious nature as he looks at the unicorn hair and other precious things in Hagrid's cabin then the change in his face as he remembers Lily and the fish and finally giving to Harry, the memory he needs.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:06 am
Fifth Year

Previous Chapter Posts:
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18

Chapter 19

Chapter 20

Chapter 21

Chapter 22

Chapter 23

Apologies for the massive delay, but I had so much work to do at uni that I had no time to sit down and do this chapter, until now.

Anyway, this is the point in the film where things finally get interesting with regard to the Voldemort plot. Instead of introducing us to a memory only to ignore it afterwards, as Yates did with the orphanage memory, this time we are treated to some actual discussion of events between Dumbledore and Harry. Before that though, we have the memory itself, which I have to say is carried by the slick performance of Frank Dillane as Tom Riddle. He gets it just right and believably evokes a frightened response from Slughorn.

The short shot of Dumbledore 'scanning' Harry afterwards was also a great idea. When I saw the movie a lot of my friends picked up on it immediately and wondered whether Harry was a horcrux, Gambon does a great turn where he looks deadly serious and then lurches off to the side as if Harry isn't even there, lost in his thoughts for a moment. Another callback to GOF with Dumbledore sitting on the steps again, and another good exchange between the two that fleshes out the horcrux concept a bit. Gambon is at his best here and on finding the answers he's been looking for all these years, his Dumbledore seems for a moment to be re-energised, after gradually slowing down throughout the film. There is another wonderful moment where Harry touches the ring and another great reaction from Gambon as he studies both Harry and the horcrux. I can't say I'm too fond of the shots where Dumbledore tells Harry about the locket, Yates has lapsed into his old habits of cutting between obnoxious close-ups and it's a missed opportunity to get one last shot of Harry and Dumbledore together in his office (though I think they did shoot something like that as there is that promotional shot floating about that evokes Harris and Radcliffe at the end of COS, both standing in front of the desk). All in all a well-acted scene with a slightly awkward ending.

Any other business:
  • They probably should have shown Fawkes somewhere here, the brief appearance in Chapter 9 will already have been forgotten about by most people.
  • The music over the scene is a chopped up 'Into the Pensieve' from earlier.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Third Year

I remember when the clip from this scene was released before the film. I watched it over and over again because I loved the sense of urgency in it. Gambon was fantastic during this scene, especially with some of the subtle hints about Harry being a horcrux. And though he was likely talking about the locket, one could also interpret his line of, "and I think, perhaps, I may have found another" as talking about Harry too.

I did miss some of the dialogue that was cut from this scene... one that comes particular in mind is Dumbledore's "In my life, I have seen things that are truly horrific. Now I know you'll see worse." I also missed the quick flashes of the ring decaying Dumbledore's hand, the cup, et al that we saw in the script leak (and in the ring's case, the first trailer for the film).

Overall, a very nice scene with a good sense of urgency that leads us into the thrilling final stage of the movie.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 6:17 pm
Second Year

I love the eerie music playing in this scene and Harry's little "neck twitch" (which we've seen in OOTP every time he shows a connection to Voldemort.) Frank Dillane is a great actor and the perfect choice for young Tom; I love he and Slughorn's interaction. There's a good deal of subtle foreshadowing in this chapter and I love it all the more for it.

Old November 30th, 2010, 6:10 am
Second Year

In the fuzziness of the memory, you can almost see Frank Dillane's face take on the future shape of Voldemorte and the focus on the ring which we next see as flipping away from Harry. The neck twitch that Harry does is a great device to show a connection with Voldemorte and I love that it's carried over from the last film.

Old December 6th, 2010, 4:21 am
Third Year

I agree with everyone about the neck twitch. It was a very smart add on & a little reminder how Harry & Voldemort are connected. It also reminds me of a snake, like slithery.

Frank Dillane was brilliant in the role of teenage Voldy. I'm really glad he played the role instead of Christian Coulson. Not that I didn't think Coulson did a good job in Chamber of Secrets. Just that Dillane had that eerie, deceptive, innocence in his face & eyes. Oh those eyes! They were so cold & sinister! He definitely stole the scene.

oneinthesandbox.tumblr.com
Old May 22nd, 2011, 8:11 pm
Second Year

did this thread die? because when i get my HP DVD collection back next weekend I am so up to this (:
I would have a blast. I love the movies sfm.

Old May 27th, 2011, 1:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acciowinter View Post
did this thread die? because when i get my HP DVD collection back next weekend I am so up to this (:
I would have a blast. I love the movies sfm.
Take it over then. Unless Yoshi objects. It's been six months. Be proactive, not reactive.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies