Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 27th, 2007, 8:26 pm
Third Year

Re: Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

JKR has to show some faults in GInny in order for to be a well rounded and really dynamic character and I think that Ginny's forceful personality creates some overenthusiastic emotions in her on occasion, such as anger (her and Ron's little *ahem* 'chat' in that hallway with Dean in HBP) and jealousy. I don't think she really lets herself get to out of control, she knows when too far is too far, but she's also not afraid to put her opinion out there and make sure things get done her way. I think it's good. Ginny needs to be dynamic. I loved the Cho scene in DH-- it was hilarious.

By the way, not to plug my story or anything-- it just seems like the perfect place to mention this, but I'm writing a fanfic about the nineteen years in between the last chapter and the epilogue and if anyone wants to pop in and check it out, you'll see a much more in-depth look at Ginny and her relationship with Harry--just thought I'd mention it: Nineteen Years oh and let me know what you think after:Feedback

Last edited by katishere; July 27th, 2007 at 8:30 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2007, 8:36 pm
First Year

The fact that poor Ginny remained in the shadows for all the book irked me to no end at first; but now everything's more clear. At the end of things, Ginny was supposed to be Harry's love interest, and, as FaceofBoe so nicely said, her journey was completed in DH.

But still, her role was so tiny and un-impressive, and the love interest role in itself isn't so flattering to a young feisty woman...she didn't even have a glory moment in the epilogue, she just seemed a slightly different version of Mrs Weasley...

Ay, the mixed feelings!

Old July 27th, 2007, 11:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterfan53 View Post
The other thing that disappoints me about Ginny is that we so often hear about how powerful she is, but that never materializes into anything against the Death Eaters. In OoTP, she goes into the battle with them, but is disabled quickly by a broken ankle, a very muggle-ish injury that doesn't seem as severe as the purple flame that made Harry worry that Hermione was dead, or the brains that grabbed Ron and drove him into near-insanity. In HBP, she has Felix on her side, and she admits herself that the potion is the only reason everyone's still alive, but it still sounds more like she's struggling to survive (we see her dodging Crucios as Harry runs past) than that the Order is dominating the fight or anything. And in DH, in the "Seven Potters" scene, she stays home with Mrs. Weasley while Mundungus, who is less brave, less powerful, and less willing to fight, is forced to join even though he's scared, ultimately ending up in Mad-Eye's death. She later tries to steal the sword from Snape's office, but ends up being caught and failing. In the final battle, all we see of her after she joins in is her helping a student back to the hospital wing, and barely avoiding a killing curse from Bellatrix while her and two others fail to harm their opponent in a three-on-one duel. She seems to be as important to Harry as the trio, and he admires her toughness, but she does not get a Horcrux-destroying or Death-Eater-defeating moment that we see in the entire series (unless I'm forgetting something, in which case please do remind me). I feel that she should have had at least one good chance to show her strength in front of Harry beyond just jinxing Malfoy a few times at school.
Personally, I admire Ginny for not only her courage, but her tenacity as well. Just because she was unable to go along with Harry, Hermione and her brother on their search for the Horcruxes (having her along would have been a liability because she still has the Trace on her wand) did not mean she had to sit at home, knitting while she waited for her conquering hero to return to her, and she didn't. She returned to school and, with the help of Neville and Luna, restarted Dumbledore's Army, heading the resistence movement against the Dark Lord from within the school. She, Neville and Luna also managed to break into the headmaster's office, no mean feat, steal the Sword of Gryffindor and drag it half way down the stairs before being caught. The fact that she was able to even hold her own against Bellatrix at the age of sixteen (with the help of Hermione and Luna, of course) is nothing to be ashamed of when one considers just how powerful a witch Madam Lestrange really is (she managed to overpower Sirius who was, by all accounts, a very talented wizard).

Also, the reason Ginny stayed home at the Burrow while the rest went to retrieve Harry from Number 4 Privet Drive has less to do with her not being up for the challenge and more to do with that fact that she is only fifteen years old at the time and is therefore unable to do magic outside of school because she still has the Trace on her. Having Ginny there would only jeopordize the whole operation further because instead of one underage wizard (Harry), they would have had two. And somehow I do not see Ginny's parents consenting to let her go along, anyway, and when one considers that her father, five of her six brothers and future sister-in-law were involved in the entire thing, I doubt she could have found a way to sneak along. In any event, I believe Ginny served a greater purpose in waiting at the Burrow with her mother for the others to return because when Harry got there, she was able to comfort/calm him by just her presence alone (i.e., taking his hand as they walked outside because she knew that was what he needed).

Old July 28th, 2007, 3:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan View Post
Yeah, THAT was absolutely brilliant. I bet, for a moment there, he completely understood Ron's hangups about Krum during the Yule Ball. It was a wonderful twist.

I agree with that. Her leadership position in the efforts against Voldemort at Hogwarts showed her strength of character well. Even despite Harry's pleas that she stays out of potentially dangerous situations, she still puts herself in a very risky situation in trying to steal the sword with Neville and Luna right under Snape's nose.

I think the main disappointment here is how little we actually got to see her in action ourselves in the book, but it's perfectly understandable, as you say, given that she was in Hogwarts while most of the action in the novel took place elsewhere.
DH is the last book in the series. I understand that she can't join in the horcrux hunt coz she's underage & has the Trace. And during the great battle at Hogwarts, her family & even Harry denied her wish to participate in the battle. She's the last person in Harry's mind when he sacrificed/ surrendered himself to Voldermort. That's an important role.

But the Ginny fan in me is disappointed coz she wasn't given her own shining moment, always sharing the limelight/ scene with others. Even her reunion with Harry happened off-page. I enjoyed reading this fabulous book, the best in the series, but I'm a bit disappointed that Ginny didn't have her own memorable scene

one hand at her back and one in her long sweet-smelling hair"
Old July 28th, 2007, 3:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

For me, the news that she tried to steal Godric Gryffindor's sword with Neville and Luna and actually got to the stairs with it before being caught, was quite a moment. As was her pleasure at being able to leave the Room of Requirement, with Harry yelling at her insisting that she had to come back - that was actually quite funny.

Old July 28th, 2007, 8:39 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4evr1807 View Post
I would have to say I liked Ginny a lot better in this book than I did in HBP. The only part of Ginny that I didn't like is when she was upset that Cho wanted to show Harry where the Ravenclaw common room was, I thought that showed a bit of an insecurity on her part, but she is only human, and who says I wouldn't have done the same thing?
I'm not making excuses for Ginny but I really think JK put this line in to show us ,the reader, that she still had feelings for him. They had been apart for something like 10 months and even though we read about Harry's strong feelings for her we had no idea about Ginny's at this time. And a lengthy 'I missed you so much..so did I' scene would have been out of place here.

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:32 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4evr1807
I would have to say I liked Ginny a lot better in this book than I did in HBP. The only part of Ginny that I didn't like is when she was upset that Cho wanted to show Harry where the Ravenclaw common room was, I thought that showed a bit of an insecurity on her part, but she is only human, and who says I wouldn't have done the same thing?

I'm not making excuses for Ginny but I really think JK put this line in to show us ,the reader, that she still had feelings for him. They had been apart for something like 10 months and even though we read about Harry's strong feelings for her we had no idea about Ginny's at this time. And a lengthy 'I missed you so much..so did I' scene would have been out of place here.
Okay that part with Cho made me laugh hysterically! I don't think it shows insecurity at all, the fact that Ginny stood up right in front of Harry and pointedly said "Luna you take him" was Ginny telling Harry that she's still in control and not to forget that. I thought it was hilarious. That's part of her fiestiness not her insecurity. She also does that with the kiss at Harry's birthday and in HBP when Harry makes a comment about Fleur not being so bad. She's not afraid that Harry's going to stop loving her or anything she just knows that he's a teenage boy and is slapping his face whenever his eyes wander. I loved that, it was hilarious.

Old July 29th, 2007, 7:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I like the way you put this actually. And it does make sense. I mean, I still think it showed insecurity, but hey I probably would have too if I havent seen my ex-boyfriend that I still liked in over 8 months or whatnot, I probably would have regretted acting that way after the incident, but not at that particular time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katishere View Post
Okay that part with Cho made me laugh hysterically! I don't think it shows insecurity at all, the fact that Ginny stood up right in front of Harry and pointedly said "Luna you take him" was Ginny telling Harry that she's still in control and not to forget that. I thought it was hilarious. That's part of her fiestiness not her insecurity. She also does that with the kiss at Harry's birthday and in HBP when Harry makes a comment about Fleur not being so bad. She's not afraid that Harry's going to stop loving her or anything she just knows that he's a teenage boy and is slapping his face whenever his eyes wander. I loved that, it was hilarious.
I disagree. I think that if Harry wanted to go with Cho, (although I do believe he wanted to go more with Luna), Ginny should have respected that, and same goes with Harry too when Viktor asked if Harry if Ginny was single or dancing with anyone.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old July 29th, 2007, 8:45 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I think that if Harry wanted to go with Cho, (although I do believe he wanted to go more with Luna), Ginny should have respected that, and same goes with Harry too when Viktor asked if Harry if Ginny was single or dancing with anyone.
I honestly didn't have a problem with that, it was a lot more subtle than putting in some long, soppy scene that they spend looking into each other's eyes and wishing that the rest of the room would disappear. It's an understandable reaction from a girl who hasn't seen her ex-boyfriend that she never really wanted to break up with when she knows that he didn't want to do it either.
As for the birthday kiss- I suppose Ginny had a good idea that Harry would be leaving with her brother and Hermione very soon after Harry's birthday, and please do note- he'd let slip to her just two days previously that he was going to try and finish off Voldemort, and there was a strong likelihood that they'd never see each other again, and certainly not alone together before the wedding, given how busy Mrs Weasley was keeping them. I'd probably want to kiss my (ex, but not through my choice or his)bf once before he packed off on a possible suicide mission too..

Old July 29th, 2007, 9:44 pm
First Year

I admit I was disapointed with the lack of Ginny in the thick of the battle and the search for the horcrux at hogwarts. It would have been fitting in my opinion to have Ginny help out in this part. It was hard for me to believe that Ginny would have stayed put and steered clear of the battle when she knew Harry's life was at danger. I had thought that it would be Ginny who, physically, came to the rescue when Harry had to sacrifice himself. I was half right, Ginny saved Harry by his love for her...you win some and you lose some...

Old July 30th, 2007, 6:05 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
I honestly didn't have a problem with that, it was a lot more subtle than putting in some long, soppy scene that they spend looking into each other's eyes and wishing that the rest of the room would disappear. It's an understandable reaction from a girl who hasn't seen her ex-boyfriend that she never really wanted to break up with when she knows that he didn't want to do it either.
As for the birthday kiss- I suppose Ginny had a good idea that Harry would be leaving with her brother and Hermione very soon after Harry's birthday, and please do note- he'd let slip to her just two days previously that he was going to try and finish off Voldemort, and there was a strong likelihood that they'd never see each other again, and certainly not alone together before the wedding, given how busy Mrs Weasley was keeping them. I'd probably want to kiss my (ex, but not through my choice or his)bf once before he packed off on a possible suicide mission too..
I understand where she was coming from, really I do..it sort of reminded me of the "Skater boi" song by Avril Lavigne, with the girl the guy liked rejected him, and wanted him again when he became famous, but another girl already had him and told the girl no, its to late for you.

And I didn't have one complain about the birthday kiss, I actually found it to be a nice scene.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old July 30th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Second Year

I was personally disappointed with the lack of character development. From reading all of JKR's interviews and hyping her character up I was expecting to see some intense power from Ginny during the war or during Book 7 at all!

Old July 30th, 2007, 7:15 pm
Second Year

Knicking alot of my post from the Harry-Ginny thread :

I do think Ginny is rather well developed as a character. Since Book 1, we see snippets of her character and IMO, her main character traits have been consistent through out the series. If you look at what other say about her, then you can see that. But due to her shyness around Harry, we never got to see it directly till much later in the series where she is no longer shy around Harry and then we get Book 6 where Harry is completely enamoured by her and to him she can do no wrong at all while we the readers still get the glimpses of her weaknesses.

To me, her power as a witch, her athletic talent, her kindness, her loyalty and her bravery really appeal to me. In terms of her being a perfect match for Harry in JKR’s own words, and apart from her being a strong witch and good at Quidditch, we get a lot of glimpses as her being a compassionate person; she defends Neville and Luna constantly ( and these are two characters who’s “uncoolness” we are constantly reminded off), she comforts Ron after his Fleur debacle, she sits with Harry in OoTP when she realizes that he’s actually not going to have a friend to sit with on the train ride for some point cos let’s face it, Harry didn’t have that many friends at that point either. She’s brave: she restarts the DA and leads the attempt to steal the sword, and it does drive me mad when I see Neville and Luna getting praise for it while it’s used as a way to mock Ginny. Hogwarts certainly seems like no picnic and IMO it certainly takes guts to be so reckless as to steal something from the Headmaster’s office seeing as at that time they think Snape killed Dumbledore. And it’s not like she was the only person that was rendered inactive at the DoM and just because Harry chooses to protect her at the other two battles while she’s fighting and no one else seems to be protecting her doesn’t make her useless in a battle. Yes she does not have a shining moment in any of the 3 battles we have seen but then again who apart from Harry does ? And I find it unfair that she gets labeled as having been saved by her mother against Bellatrix while Hermione and Luna who were also fighting her get called brave for it when by extension they should also then be labeled as being saved by their friend’s mother.

And I do believe she truly loves all her brothers and is close to them, after all she knows about Fred and Georges plans in OoTP while Ron doesn’t. And really, the not liking Fleur thing is a typical sisterly reaction. I’ve never liked my brothers girl friends as a sister who loves her brother, you always just think they can do so much better. And even Harry gets the impression in OoTP that Ginny really looks upto Bill. Natural reaction IMO. And please, she was obviously worried about Ron when he was poisoned as she wouldn’t have been there watching him (she looks up at Fred and George when they enter), obsessively discussing how he was poisoned with Harry, visiting him in the hospital wing and so forth. And for her being “mean” to Ron in HBP when he runs into her and Dean kissing, that also seems like a natural sibling thing to me. He only was implying that she may get the impression that she was a tart which is so not mean at all. And it’s not like Ron was trying to hex her either was it ? I don’t think she expected Ron to get all upset about Krum, because to me it read not like she was throwing it in his face, but to show him that kissing is all fine and normal. And seeing as we don’t ever see any of Hermione and Ginny’s conversations even though it’s clear they are close, there is no way we can say she felt no remorse for it at all.

And I do think she does more than snog as some people say, we have 4 instances of her kissing someone and 3 of them are with Harry. So in terms of that, Harry also has 4 instances of kissing someone in the series but no one goes around saying all he does is snog do they ? And Hermione also dated Krum and Cormac before Ron while Ginny dated Micheal and Dean before Harry….so how does Ginny become the slut while Hermione isn’t ? Sorry but these double standards that are applied to her really gets me all mad.

Anyways, back on topic, her strength really impresses me. The way in which she gets over her ordeal in the CoS is pretty amazing to me, so much so that she doesn't freak when Harry doesn't remember that there is someone else who has been possessed by LV and can speak about it without breaking down. And as Harry also says himself in DH, he likes how she doesn’t break down easily. Kinda what someone who needs to kill an evil wizard needs right? Also, look how far she goes from the friendless girl who has been possessed by LV and shares a compartment with her brothers at the end of Book 2 and goes to her brother Ron for comfort at the beginning of the next school year to what seems like a very popular girl. I see no harm in her being popular at all, usually popular people have a few likeable traits no ? Also, like most of the HP characters, she has her flaws, which is mostly for me that her temper can take her too far but seeing I am just like that myself, that only results in me liking her character more as she seems like such a real character. So yes, I do like Ginny as I feel she’s been developed very well and is such a human character and I do feel an emotional attachment to her

However, I have to say, I was sorely disappointed with her lack of a shining moment in DH. I actually think it's great she was trying to acomodate/respect the wishes of all these people she cares about and that they wanted her safe but at the end her willingness to fight overcame her and the second she got the chance, she left to fight. And once she was fighting I thought we'd see a kick *** moment but that was not to be. And I thought JKR said we'd see impressive things from Ginny in Book 7 ? And we got nothing. That is actually one of my few complaints with DH.

Also, I don't think her character really developed too much in this book. We saw the same things that we've seen through out the series: her loyalty, her bravery, her compassion ( loved that scene actually), her love for her family, her understanding of Harry etc.

Old July 30th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Secret Keeper

From JKs live webchat:
webchatJ.K. Rowling: After a few years as a celebrated player for the Holyhead Harpies, Ginny retired to have her family and to become the Senior Quidditch correspondent at the Daily Prophet!

Old July 30th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Second Year

Oh thanks for that. I was thinking either Quidditch or something in the ministry for her and I like the Quidditch thing more. But reporter for the Daily Prophet .....

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I disagree. I think that if Harry wanted to go with Cho, (although I do believe he wanted to go more with Luna), Ginny should have respected that, and same goes with Harry too when Viktor asked if Harry if Ginny was single or dancing with anyone.
Ginny gives Harry way more respect then he really deserves. Ginny lets him go about his noble business leaving her completely in the dust, without a single question. He has left her in the dark throughout their entire relationship despite everything she has trusted him with. Even in book five he diregarded the fact that she had had a lot of experience with Tom Riddle from her time in the Chamber of Secrets and she had to remind him of that and bring him out of stupor of self-pity. Harry has pushed her away time after time without any regards to her feelings. He does it to protect her physically, which is noble it's true, but he disregards her emotions, basically saying, "well Ginny I want to make sure that you live a long life even after I'm long dead-- and since I'm not going to let you help me at all or know anything that's going on you'll get live that nice healthy life in misery knowing that the one person you've loved for all your life and gave everything is dead forever and you didn't get to do anything about it". The line that really made me mad was when he said at the funeral in HBP "How do you think I'd feel if this were your funeral and it was my fault". Seriously. How did he think Ginny would feel after loving him passionately for all her life and then finally getting a chance to be with him and then he dumps her, tells her nothing, crushes her, and goes on his way to be killed. I think that the fact that Ginny stood by him even after all that he had put her through and done to her and she didn't say a word. She took it, and was amazingly strong through it all even giving him the best birthday present that Harry had ever gotten. I think the fact that Ginny gave Harry a little tug in the room of requirement to snap his focus back into the right place was very well deserved and that she had more than the right to do so. Seriously, if I were Ginny I really don't think I would have been able to stay with Harry after all he did, I would have been gone pretty quickly.

Old July 31st, 2007, 3:32 am
First Year

^^^Well i don't think it would have quite been the same story if they had been holding hands and fighting DE through DH-

It was difficult for Ginny to stand by I'm sure but It was for her protection Harry couldn't bring her along- He held himself accountable for enough of his friends deaths, He couldn't handle being responsible for the death of the girl he loved. Ginny knew what she was getting into- its not everyday your dating a guy trying to save the world, I'm glad she could put that before herself.

Old July 31st, 2007, 1:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
From JKs live webchat:
webchatJ.K. Rowling: After a few years as a celebrated player for the Holyhead Harpies, Ginny retired to have her family and to become the Senior Quidditch correspondent at the Daily Prophet!
I wonder how much Ginny got it in the neck from Ron for not playing in the Chudley Cannons

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:15 pm
First Year

I think many people are unhappy about the role of Ginny in this book. While it is true that Ginny does not have a very first person presence in DH, I do not think this minimizes her importance in the book. She is one of Harry's major motivations, while at the same time being the representative of the continuing resistance back at Hogwarts. The reason she receives a less present role in this book is simple: Harry Potter is not a love story. Even Ron and Hermione's relationship, which we've seen coming since Hermione told Ron he had dirt on his nose, didn't come to the surface until nearly the end, and it was only for one kiss, after which it was pushed to the background again.

Also keep in mind that a first person presence isn't necessary to have a major impact on the story. For example, there's a major, crucially important character in HP that actually appears less frequently than Kingsley Shacklebolt. That would be our dear friend Voldemort. Think about it: He appears briefly in books 1 and 2, not at all in 3, a couple times in 4, and only slightly more often in 5-7. He's talked about, discussed, feared, and referred to, but actual appearances are few and far between.

In the same vein, we never once physically see Harry's parents (I supposed the scene with the Ressurection Stone is close, but I don't know if that would truly count), but they are crucially important to the storyline.

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:41 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Both instances were just showing that they cared for each other. They would have been together had it not been for the War and Harry having to leave. And to see that Harry still cared about her and she still cared about him was just thrown in their so we didn't forget. You also have to remember this is a book, Jo's purpose wouldn't be to show insecurities, it would for some comic relief and to remind us of their lingering unfinished feelings for each other.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies