Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces > Art History

Last Icon Maker Standing XI

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:53 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Last Icon Maker Standing XI

I personally prefer the weekly GC's for practice and failing , since for LIMS, if you do bad enough one week, you just get voted out.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2009, 3:05 am
First Year

O dear, i totally missed out on this :'(

Old February 6th, 2009, 4:55 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I personally prefer the weekly GC's for practice and failing , since for LIMS, if you do bad enough one week, you just get voted out.
There are actually week by week contests on livejournal as well. Two that I do occasionally are bwchallenge (black and white only) and travel_icontest (which actually has on it's profile page a lot of other LIMS and weekly challenge icon communities). They have them for all different levels and tastes as well.

Old February 6th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Dear friends! One Day left to turn in your graphic! Please owl them in

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old February 6th, 2009, 7:58 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
There are actually week by week contests on livejournal as well. Two that I do occasionally are bwchallenge (black and white only) and travel_icontest (which actually has on it's profile page a lot of other LIMS and weekly challenge icon communities). They have them for all different levels and tastes as well.
that's pretty cool .

The reason i'm doing only LIMS now is because i'm getting to be really busy and one graphic a week is WAY easier then coming up with a whole bunch for the GC, which i have to do or I feel really weird only submitting one

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old February 6th, 2009, 9:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I am not going to be able to get my entry in. I have been too busy

Old February 6th, 2009, 9:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post

I am not going to be able to get my entry in. I have been too busy
oh no! And with your photoshop not working, too!

Old February 6th, 2009, 9:45 pm
Secret Keeper

aww rell

My Deviantart Account

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Second Year

I'm really busy in real life so i probably won't be able to get one in either

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
oh no! And with your photoshop not working, too!
It's actually working now. I'm really upset, but I just had too much homework this week to work on LIMS

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:57 pm
Winning Teamster

Well.... I sent one in....

Not happy with it.... but I haven't got more time.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:57 am
Formerly Known as 82

Too bad for everyone who cant get them in If you want to use your pass this week remember to owl me that you are officially using it. Who knows, maybe next week you'll have more time and if you don't and have to drop you at least you had a second chance

Last edited by Vita; February 7th, 2009 at 1:02 am.
Old February 7th, 2009, 2:26 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I am not going to be able to get my entry in.
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get one in either - I really haven't had much time to work on anything.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 7th, 2009, 3:22 am
do you want fries with that?

I sent mine in. It's terrible, but all I could manage with the amount of school work I 've had lately.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old February 7th, 2009, 3:46 am
First Year

For any twilight fans, I've set up a twilight LIMS
http://community.livejournal.com/twilightlastims/

Old February 7th, 2009, 7:29 am
First Year

Just sent in mine. It's pretty bad, but best I could do with being so busy and everything.

Old February 7th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Last Icon Maker Standing Week 1 - Voting

Link to Table

3 people used their passes this week

+ Vote for the two icons you like less.
+ Give constructive criticism.
+ Voting ends in 24 hours.
+ Good luck!

(I have no idea why there is a number 18 on the table, there is no 18th icon so just ignore that)

Last Icon Maker Standing Week 2 - Challenge

Topic: Random Ships!

Technique: Make an icon of a ship in the Harry Potter world that is not canon. (i.e. Ron/Hermione, Harry/Ginny etc) Please keep the ships appropriate! Meaning no student/teacher relationship, human/non human (within reason, veelas, werewolves etc ok) Have fun with this one in honor of Valentines Day. Any questions, please feel free to ask

Size: Avatar

Due: February 14th, 2009 by 1800 GMT

Old February 7th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Zonko's Employee

First, I want to say that this was a really tough challenge and many of you came up with some really interesting takes. Great use of imagination.

001: Great way to use your imagination with Harry meeting his wand. A little washed out. Perhaps a different crop would have added more interest.

002: I would have preferred to see Harry and Tom interact here. This seems to me more about Tom than anything else. I like how you played up the "blurred" bit but I would have sharpend up the rest of the words. The crop and text placement is good but it could use a little more contrast.

003: This is one of my faves. I can just imagine Kreacher whispering his nasty words anf Harry looking away from him in disgust. The animation is great but I would have liked a bit more contrast.

004:Very crisp animation and good levels and lighting. Good job.

005: Another great interpretation. Perhaps a rearrangement of the text would add a bit more interest.

006: Another fave. Nice crop. good contrast/lighting, text placement and font are nice and I love how you matched the color of her dress in the font.

007: As with number two this is of one character, but I think the text saves you here by directly introducing another character. Nice crop and crispness. Overall, good job.

008: I love how crisp this picture of bella and Neville is. I wouldn't have blurred it quite so much around the edges but good job overall.

009: Any icon that shows Draco in a humorous light works for me. It's a little faded so it could use some contrast. The text again introduces another character which is great.

010: I can really see where you were going here but it seems grainy in spots, and faded in others. Plus I can't tell who that third character is...lupin? Great text though.

011: I almost used this exact cap but decided against it because I couldn't place the text. You solved the problem nicely. It's a little oversharp.

012: Aww, great concept and good blending. A little too much text and the the whole thing seems tinted red to me. Is that my monitor?

013: A little too much going on in this icon I think. Makes it hard to focus. I think you meant to show Ron amnd Moody, right? It's so hard to tell.

014:Cute! Luna is a little washed out but the cropping is great. No need for text here. Overall good job.

015: Again great take on the challenge1 The cropping however makes it difficult to realize it's the snake and I can't read the word "Brazil".

016:Very nice. Great animation and love the coloring.

017:Stan! Great choice. A little oversaturated.

018: Interesting take as well. The red X really pops. Makes the icon, really.

Voting off: 2 and 15

faves: 3, 6, and 11

Last edited by flimseycauldron; February 7th, 2009 at 7:05 pm.
Old February 7th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Secret Keeper

1. I really love the idea behind it, Harry meets Wand, but I don't really like the effect as much.

2. I really like the text but the image doesn't really have enough dark and light contrast.

3. I like the fading in and fading out for Harry but Kreacher could be faded out rather than suddenly becoming black.

4. Voldemort and Harry could be faded in and out rather than being flashed.

5. The icon's a bit too large and I think the hand is a bit too pronounced

6. I really like the background in it, it's totally Rita . I also like the text a lot

7. I kind of think the brightness and contrast is a bit overdone actually and make the shadows a bit...clumpy? i think that's the word? but overall, i like how the image is placed and all as well.

8. I really like the effect on this, it looks really cool.

9. Malfoy's face is priceless but the right side of his face is a bit too faded into the darkness

10. The image is a bit too grainy and blurred and there's not enough contrast.

11. It's a bit oversaturated and sharp but i like the scene a lot.

12. I really like the concept but since baby Harry is realistic, I think that Voldy should be too.

13. I love the blending but the text is a bit hard to read and it took me a few minutes to figure it out , but overall i think it's one of my favorites. Also, the scene of the students could've been extended to Moody's side instead of his arm but I like the contrast and saturation levels a lot as well.

14. Really cool lighting

15. The text is readable, but could've been a different color or something because it sort of blends into the background a bit.

16. Animation is a bit too fast

17. A bit oversaturated

Voting off: 3, 10

Faves: 6, 8, and 15

My Deviantart Account

Old February 7th, 2009, 7:41 pm
Lycanthrope

These were really great; terrific choices for meet ups all.

1. Like the Harry meets wand idea. This is a bit washed out by the yellow lighting, although the effect on the top of the hair is cool.

2. The whole blur idea is great and the picture speaks to that. A little more color on Tom may allow for a bit more definition while still retaining that feel.

3. I think the lighting is perfect and the timing of the animation is right on - the pop fade is sweet. Good job.

4. The pictures are well done, nice job on the lighting. Perhaps a fade in would be a little less jolting from the black to the pics, but I like it overall.

5. This is a good idea and a nice job on the rendering. Perhaps a different font would have made the overall effect more stunning.

6. I like the way this is colored, especially Rita's dress. It is perhaps a tad sharp.

7. This is funny, I like it. Perhaps a little more green to his eyes or a slightly altered background would give it that added bit of impact, but it is well done.

8. This is cool. Perhaps a little too bright in that Neville's face gets the wash, but I love the motion blurred like edges and great color tinge too.

9. Draco's expression is a crack up, nice job. Perhaps a tad of contrast might add to the overall effect, but just a tad so the shadow cast by the lantern remains.

10. This reminds me of the old movie stills, I think it is great. Going with that idea, the lighting is actually quite perfect. the 'run away' is a little fat, but overall great job.

11. This is a nice scene - wide view in an avatar - difficult but well done here. I think it is a bit sharp and the red hue is a bit strong on Harry and Dobby although it works on the rest of the photo.

12. I like this idea a lot. I think the red hue cast on Baby Harry is a bit too heavily applied, but the words are great and RF is excellently rendered.

13. Great words. . I am not altogether sure who is meeting whom here, but I like the idea of this photo a lot nonetheless. A tad sharp, but just a tad.

14. This is a great pic of these two - I think the coloring is overall a little bit too heavy, perhaps due to Luna's already naturally pale color - it kind of washes her out.

15. Perfectly crisp and clean. The cursive writing is a little difficult at first go, but not too hard to fathom. Overall a great job. Like the Snake/Harry.

16. This is great - animation flow - go- jo - mo. very well done - like a side morph eating away the characters. The blue inter-fill really makes it blend perfectly and I really like the grainy finish. Great Job.

17. Great scene, and the words cracked me up. I think the coloring is a little too saturated - although it makes for an interesting effect so I would only take a tad out.

I don't want to vote any out, they were all great, but since we have to, I vote for: # 1 and #11.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; February 8th, 2009 at 4:32 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces > Art History