Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Sword of Gryffindor

Old June 5th, 2007, 3:19 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: Sword of Gryffindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culte Ventosus View Post
Perhaps, like Slytherin's locket and Hufflepuff's cup, it has magical properties. It may be the key into the treasure room we see on the book seven cover. It may cut dementors or even be used to properly behead Sir Nick.
I think it has usefulness beyond an ordinary sword!
Perhaps! What if Nearly Headless Nick had annoyed Gryffindor or it was an accident and his head was partially decapitated!

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2007, 4:07 am
Second Year

I think this is a really interesting thread, good thought.

It must have some powerful magical properties. It kind of appeared inside the hat, so thats one thing. I don't really buy that everyone had one in the middle ages, because regardless of the times a wizard doesn't need muggle weapons if they're good with a wand, which Gryffindor clearly was.

Old June 5th, 2007, 4:17 am
First Year

Well for me there is a connection between the sword being pulled out of the Hat by Harry and the sword being pulled out of the stone by Arthur...again more historical references. Still I'm not exactly sure if the sword perhaps mirrors Excalibur, but it definitely has some powerful magical abilities. I've always wondered that perhaps Godric just carried it around was to show his power, or maybe as a trophy of sorts, who knows.

Old June 5th, 2007, 1:31 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
He destroyed the diary with the fang from the basilisk. He killed the basilisk with the sword.
I know. I was in the shower this morning thinking about this thread when I realized my mistake. Duh. God knows I've read these books enough that I shouldn't have gotten that wrong.

SPLISH SPLASH HARRY'S TAKING' A BATH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you doing, Potter?" said Snape coldly as ever, as he strode over to the four of them.
"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy, sir," said Harry fiercely.
Old June 5th, 2007, 1:40 pm
Second Year

I like the idea that the sword is decorative, much like Hufflepuff's cup and Slytherin's locket. It was probably presented to him by some godforsaken village that needed rid of a banshee or vampire or something, and GG, showing the trait his house is famous for, fought to dispose of said creature.

Things which are utilitarian are not normally engraved; things which are decorative usually are.

Harry Potter and the Founders' Portrait

Check out my fan fic! People like my Fidelius Charm!

"He will only be gone from the school when none here are loyal to him," said Harry, smiling in spite of himself.
Old June 5th, 2007, 3:34 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlock View Post
I've always wondered that perhaps Godric just carried it around was to show his power, or maybe as a trophy of sorts, who knows.
Collecting trophies to show one's power sounds like a more Slytheirn thing, or at least a Voldemort thing. I don't think Gryffinfor would care.

Old June 5th, 2007, 3:36 pm
First Year

I like the idea that there may have been a Merlin connection and that he chose the Sword to be a sort of ledendary object for his house such as the aforementioned Hufflepuff's cup and Slytherin's locket.

Old June 5th, 2007, 3:39 pm
Sixth Year

It could have been a symbol of status, or it could have other magical properties as well. Maybe it's like Hagrid's umbrella or Lucius's cane - and has his wand concealed inside?

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old June 5th, 2007, 3:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
It could have been a symbol of status, or it could have other magical properties as well. Maybe it's like Hagrid's umbrella or Lucius's cane - and has his wand concealed inside?
This is exactly what I was thinking. There is no mention as to what kind of wand he had. So, maybe to blend into to the times he had his wand made into the sword. It's a long shot but it could be possible.

Old June 5th, 2007, 8:20 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Yes, that is an interesting thought. It never occured to me that perhaps he had changed his wand into a sword! Good thinking!

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 5th, 2007, 8:41 pm
ASA Signature Champion

I think the sword might have been passed down to Gryffindor from non-magical relatives. Of the four Founders only one was determined to maintain the purity of the Wizard families. I suspect the other Founders had Muggles among their ancestors. This makes even more sense when you remember that Britain was far less populated 1,000 years ago than it is now. There would have been even fewer Wizards and less sense in maintaining a pureblood race.

Also the sword may have been part of a disguise to hide the fact that Gryffindor was a wizard. In that time it was probably unusual for a man to travel without some kind of weapon at his side.

Currently... enjoying my wood-burning stove

Riddle Thread * Ask the Brits * Chocolate!
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Collecting trophies to show one's power sounds like a more Slytheirn thing, or at least a Voldemort thing. I don't think Gryffinfor would care.
I think that does sound more like one of their traits, maybe he didn't have it to show his power or status, if he had been presented for an act of bravery perhaps he kept it more as something commerative (he would have had no real use for it, unless it conceals some power) and only after his death it became known as something which symbolised both him and his bravery?

Quote:
That's really interesting, I've never thought about that before, I'd actually completely forgotten about Lucius doing that too, was it mentioned in any of the books? (It's been a while since I read the entire series, I'm in the middle of rereading them all in order now.)

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:51 pm
First Year

Just to harp back to Arthurian legend.

Only the true king could pull the sword from the stone - just as only a true Gryffindor could have pulled that sword from the Sorting Hat.

It is symbolic of power, and, at least in the Arthur legend heritage. I am not so sure the lineage applies to Harry & Gryffindor. I think Harry is a true Gryffindor not by his blood line but by his character and his choices.

Old June 15th, 2007, 1:40 pm
First Year

I think it's a combination of all the things said. It probably was common for a person of his standing. It was also probably used against magical beings and/or have some kind of enchantments on it

Old June 15th, 2007, 1:52 pm
Unspeakable

Do we know that Gryffindor always knew he was a wizard? It could be that he was Muggleborn or even an orphan like Harry and didn't know of his magical ability or that the strange things he might've done were a sign of it. With no Hogwarts to send him a letter when he turned 11, he could've been considerably older when he found out and could've obtained the sword before then.

Old June 15th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Registered Animagus

Well, we know one very good reason to carry a sword instead of fighting with a wand. Witch burnings.

You just did not 'advertise' that you were magical in his time.

Merlin (who fought in battle AS a wizard) was KNOWN as the King's advisor (a bit of political protection against the church) and was from a much earlier time (somewhere between 350 AD and 700 AD) - really before the Church (as in Rome) had quite so much power over England.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old June 15th, 2007, 6:03 pm
First Year

I think that the sword has some magical power of some sort. It can probably slice through just about any animal and way back when when G.G. was stilll alive they were in hiding and if some one tried to kill him in a crouded place it was probalby protecting hiself with the sword instesd of magic.

Well monkey's eat bananas which grow on trees and trees grow cherries too. And George Washington chopped down a cherry tree. Therefore, George Washington was a monkey

This Quote was originaly typed by Markle
Old June 15th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Swords have archaic and mystical uses. An athame is the term given to a ceremonial dagger that is used in some Wiccan rituals. The sword is used to bless and dub a Knight, Lord, Baron, or other officer of the Realm, and is often associated with The Crucifix because of the hilt, pommel, and hand guard. Swords encrusted with gems and jewels are thought to have special powers invoked by those inlays.

I think the different artifacts of the Founders are representative of their personalities. Gryffindor was known for his value of bravery and noblity, and a sword would certainly symbolize those virtues.

I think JKR has been hinting to us that The Sword of Gryffindor is actually Gryffindor's wand. Clearly a wand does not have to be made of wood. It could be that Gryffindor transfigured it so that he could wield it as a wand or sword depending on the situation.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives