Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Theory on Neville/Hermione

Old June 15th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Second Year
Re: Theory on Neville/Hermione

Originally Posted by imacheeto View Post
kewl theory, but unlikely. 1st of all, JKR wouldn't put something this far-fetched in the book. 2nd of all, this wouldn't be the 1st time a Muggle-born is smarter in magic than a pure-blood. Lily Evans was M-B, and she was top in her class. i'm sure there have been almost squib pure-bloods before. 3rd of all,(which kinda overrides the 2nd of all) having Muggle ancestry doesn't have anything to do with how good u r at magic if u hav a love of learning. Hermione loves learning. having Muggle parents doesn't make her stupider. whether ur learning magic or math, the smarter kids do better. Hermione is the smarter kid. sorry Neville. no offfense, but u sound prejudiced against
M-** cuz u think there's some far-fetched reason that Hermione's better at magic than Neville just cuz she's M-B.
I don't think they're being 'prejudiced'. I think they might have missed what their theory might imply about blood status and magic. There's no need to extend that to personal prejudice on the poster's part. This is purely canon we're arguing here.

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 7:31 pm
Sixth Year

Originally Posted by jordmundt6
It is creative, but doesn't it fly in the face of everything JKR has tried to bring out about prejudice and preconceived notions--that Muggleborns can be the most gifted and that the pureblood mania is ridiculous.
My first thoughts too. Hermione is a clear example that you don't have to be pure-blood to be a good witch or wizard - something which is reinforced time and time again in the books, both as a general rule and as that specific case. This is a well thought-out theory, but it just doesn't make sense in terms of the morals and themes that Jo has been conveying throughout the series.

Old June 16th, 2007, 7:04 am
Zonko's Employee

The problem I see is that as far as I know, memories have nothing to do with magical ability. They would need to have taken Neville's magical ability and given it to Hermione, and I don't see any support for such a thing being possible, myself. Also, doing so would have no effect on any memories, I don't believe.

Old June 17th, 2007, 5:01 pm
Fourth Year

I think Neville had been affected by what had happened to his mom and dad and also by the brought-up by his granny. That affected him so he became weak and he is not trusting himself but he is a good wizard and he is brave..Look at what he done in DA and MOM..He just need to trust himself more so he will be a good one..About Hermione, she is talented cause of herself. She is so clever and she studying so well, reading all the books. That is Hermione's nature she was born by and that made her different.

I'll be always with you
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives