Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

James & Lily v. Ron & Hermione - Similarities and Possible Significance?

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:30 pm
Second Year

Re: Does anyone see any significance in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runes View Post
I think it makes a nice parallel. Not that it means the fates for both sets of couples will be the same, but in a way, it's like history repeating itself.

In PoA, its been mentioned quite a bit that Sirius was James and Lily's best friend. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, it always seemed that the relationship between Harry/Ron/Hermione was the same, where Harry was Ron and Hermione's best friend. Of course, later we learn that Lily and the marauders might not always have been the best of friends, but in PoA, the parallels are very striking. Its just a fun thing Jo did to give the books more of a human touch
Yeah. I bet if, in the future, Hermione and Ron had a baby together like James and Lily, Harry would be the godfather like Sirius!

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:51 am
Second Year

Re: James & Lily v. Ron & Hermione - Similarities and Possible Significance?

jenny d b... mentioned some very good points... I'm so glad to find a thread on this because I have thought about the similarities between Ron and Hermione and James and Lily for a long time.

Lily was a very remarkable witch just as Hermione is.

Lily wasn't exactly in love with James at first--- in fact we have been led to believe that they didn't get together until their 7th. year.
They apparantly argued alot--- just like Ron and Hermione do.
Do I think that Ron and Hermione will get together during their 7th. year. Yes...
I think that their lives are very much a parallel to James and Lily's.
What I hope is that they are able to survive where James and Lily didn't against Voldemort. You know Sirius blamed himself for James and Lily's death--- We know that Harry would blame himself if the same happened to Hermione and Ron.... What I think and what I hope is that Harry will be able to stop Voldemort before anything like that could happen. I think that the back-story and the current story are just a small bit short of being an exact parallel of each other--- the main difference being that this time Voldemort is stopped by Harry--- where-as before he wasn't stopped by Sirius. That'll be the difference--- that's my bet.

This is of course putting the small stuff like anamagi and warewolfs aside... I mean-- I think those are just things that she threw in there--- to throw us off so that we wouldn't notice that she's already told us what would happen.

Last edited by visitorspass; January 29th, 2007 at 12:50 pm.
Old January 28th, 2007, 5:51 am
Second Year

probably not significant, but there may be something to the duo that will come out in the next book..

ITS THE END!!!!!!!!!
no really, it's the END OF THE SAGA!!!
Old January 28th, 2007, 8:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitorspass View Post
Lily wasn't exactly in love with James at first--- in fact we have been led to believe that they didn't get together until their 7th. year.
They apparantly argued alot--- just like Ron and Hermione do.
I was going to mention the fact about the arguing but you beat me to it
That is what originally got me interested in the parallels between J/L and R/Hr. Hopefully it doesn't mean they will be killed as well but knowing Jo, anything is possible. I just hope it means something else if it means anything at all.

Check out my roleplay site: www.luvagal443.proboards34.com We still have loads of available canon characters so join now!!!!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

"What hurts the most was being so close...and having so much to say but watching you walk away...."
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:23 am
Third Year

Yes..i think that James and lily are similar to Ron and Hermione in a way!...But different in another...James and lily did argue alot just like Ron and Hermione and they started going out in their 7th year just like Ron and hermione obviously will...Both Lily and Hermione are Muggleborn and are very smart talented witches and Ron seems to share with James the same sense of humor and hatred for their enemies like Snape/Draco...And james and lily's best friend is sirius while Ron and Hermiones best friend is Harry......But i also think that Ron and Hermone are actually the opposites of James and lily also....

James does seem more capable with using magic than Ron in certain situations...Ron comes from a poverty stricken family and has alot of siblings...But James came from a very wealthy family background but had no siblings at all!...And lily was very popular in school and went out with alot of guys before she married james while Hermone isn't so popular at all and went on very few dates...But seems to only want to be with Ron....And while lily had shown some kindness toward Snape Hermione had shown none to Draco and actually she gave him a good beating!...And lily and james did die in the end BUT i think that both ron and hermione will live!

Mcgonagall:Do you think it will work Severus?
Snape: Of course it will....The WB muggles will think this necklace is worth millions of dollars and they will grab it, Then the spell i casted will work and they will all turn into........
Mcgonagall:A bunch of babbling, bumbling band of baboons!....Now Hurry up and package it already!...Serves them right!.

Last edited by MAGICicalMUggle; January 28th, 2007 at 11:38 am.
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:30 am
Second Year

Well...I do see some similarities b/w R/Hr and L/J and that's one of the reasons that they're 2 of my fav. couples.

Both of the couples have argued a lot....I love the bickering! I think JKR showed that side of L/J in OotP in Snape's Worst Memory.

Also, apart from the blood (Lily, Hermione= muggle-borns, Ron-James-purebloods) Hermione would surely be HeadGirl if she went to Hogwarts and I think that Ron would be made HeadBoy.

Also, Lily/ames got together in their seventh year and Ron/Hermione will get together in their seventh as well.

Magicalmuggle, I liked your thoughts on the things NOT similar b/w the two couples. Maybe R/Hr will face a life-threatening situation but they'll get out of it alive. I hope they aren't the 2 that will die in DH!

Old January 28th, 2007, 11:56 am
Fifth Year

While there're similarities between J/L and R/Hr, there are also some parallels between Harry and Ginny, the first reason being that both of them look like James and Lily respectively.

I always saw James and Lily as being the ideal HP couple And there are echoes of them in both R/Hr and H/Gn. It really would be so great if Harry were to be named godfather to R/Hr's child. ^_^

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old January 28th, 2007, 1:07 pm
Fourth Year

I always thought Harry and Ginny mirror James and Lily ie a fiesty redhead gets together with the quidditch star. Harry looks like James, Ginny is a popular girl like Lily was.

Old January 28th, 2007, 2:52 pm
First Year

At Slughornís Xmas party, Hermione brought McClaggan to make Ron jealous. Iíve been wondering for ages if Lily did the same with Snape to annoy James?

(Am I allowed to bring up Snape/Lily here? ...)

Old January 28th, 2007, 2:56 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
So, sorry, no, I don't see any significance in the purity of blood being any kind of indicator of the fate of Ron and Hermione.
I'd have to agree. Even though they do have a number of similarities, I think these are simply on the surface and probably aren't going to be an indicator of Ron and Hermione's future.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 28th, 2007, 3:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEelx09 View Post
haha. No, maybe it's going to have a part in the final book and the final fight between Harry and Voldemort. I mean we can already guess that maybe Hermione and Ron are going to be with harry this whole book JK made it pretty clear at the end of HBP but i'm wondering if it's some kind of foreshadowing that Hermione && Ron might have the same horrible fate that James and Lily met.

I'm probably looking into it to much i know but still it's a theory.
I really hope not!

You've worried me now

Old January 28th, 2007, 6:33 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEelx09 View Post
But does anyone see any significance in the fact that Ron is a pureblood like James & Hermione is a muggleborn like Lily?
In my opinion, the similarities start and end precisely there. Ron and Hermione are longtime friends whose friendship is evolving into more. That doesn't appear at all to be the case with James and Lily. They obviously weren't friends or even friendly at the end of 5th year. I would see more of a similarity between James/Lily and Hermione/Draco. I mean I know James didn't call Lily a mudblood, but she herself says that James is just as bad as Snape, and we do see Hermione pull her wand on Draco, and Lily pull hers on James.

Quote:
And james and lily's best friend is sirius while Ron and Hermiones best friend is Harry......
Sirius was James' best friend. I don't remember any canon indicating that Sirius and Lily were particularly close? I realize that she must have agreed to Sirius as Godfather and Sirius/Peter as SecretKeeper, but personally I've always been bothered by the fact that we see nothing of Lily's friends. It seems odd to me that our strong, spirited female heroine seems to have James' friends playing all the significant roles in their lives and choices. Very odd.

"The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
"He could abandon the plan and simply learn to live with the memory of what his father had done on a summer's day more than twenty years ago ...."
Old January 28th, 2007, 7:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

OotP"What?" Ron asked, having stopped mid-sentence at the look on Harry's face. "Why are you grinning?"

"I'm not," said Harry quickly, and looked down at his Transfiguration notes, attempting to straighten his face. The truth was that Ron had just reminded Harry forcibly of another Gryffindor Quidditch player who had once sat rumpling his hair under this very tree. "I'm just glad we won, that's all."

This is a direct reference by Harry showing Ron reminding him of his father but overall, I think Ron's similariities are with Sirius. However, I will list the similarities I see between Ron and James and Hermione and Lily:

Ron

Ron: Pureblood
James: Pureblood

Ron: Takes in Harry as a part of his family to get away from his abusive relatives
James: Takes in Sirius from relatives who believes in the Dark Arts

Ron: He and Harry are as close as brothers, would die for each other and believes this.
James: He and Sirius were as close as brothers and James truly believed Sirius would die to protect him.

Ron: Immature when it comes to girls
James: Immature when it comes to girls

Hermione

Hermione: Muggleborn witch
Lily: Muggleborn witch

Hermione: Believed in helping the underdog
Lily: Believed in helping the underdog although unlike Hermione when the underdog turned on her, she fought back.

Hermione: Brilliant in school, teacher's pet
Lily: Brilliant in school, teacher's pet

Hermione: Prefect, definitely will become head girl if she goes back to school
Lily: I don't know if she was a prefect but I would bet on it; did become head girl

Hermione: Thought Ron has the emotional range of a teaspoon
Lily: Probably thought the same about James

Together

Ron and Hermione bicker a lot because of their sexual tension
James and Lily couldn't see eye to eye probably again because of the sexual tension

Ron and Hermione as a couple has a best friend they adore: Harry
James and Lily: Sirius - he was made the child's godfather

Ron and Hermione: Ron and Harry met and were the best of friends before Hermione joined the group.
James and Lily: James and Sirius were best friends before Lily started dating James.

Ron and Hermione will probably get together in their seventh year
James and Lily did get together in their seventh year

Now, while these things can count as there being similarities between the two, I think James and Lily's relationship was meant to foreshadow Harry and Ginny. I made that list here on the Similarities between Lily and Ginny thread.

Overall, I don't think history will repeat itself. It simply cannot because things are not the same. However, in the end, it will be interesting to see exactly what JK was doing when she set up both Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione to have so many similarities to his parents.

Cheers

Old January 29th, 2007, 1:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICicalMUggle View Post
But James came from a very wealthy family background but had no siblings at all!...And lily was very popular in school and went out with alot of guys before she married james while Hermone isn't so popular at all and went on very few dates...But seems to only want to be with Ron....And while lily had shown some kindness toward Snape Hermione had shown none to Draco and actually she gave him a good beating!...And lily and james did die in the end BUT i think that both ron and hermione will live!
Do we have canon to tell us that Lily was very popular all through school. I mean we really don't know what her first or even her second year of school was like. She could have been just as un-popular as Hermione. Also, I'm rather under the impression that Hermione isn't so un-popular anymore. She's friends with Ginny... we are also shown that she seems to know an awful lot about Chew Chang for someone who has no friends. Also, Hermione went out with Victor Krum.... remember... she also went out with McClaggen (granted she did it just to get to Ron) do we know that Lily didn't go out with someone to bother James. For that matter do we have any canon to tell us exactly how many guys Lily did or didn't go out with? Do we know yet that Hermione won't go out with anyone else before she and Ron hook up? I'd say that this isn't a difference between the two of them--- I'd say that it's more proof of their likeness to each other.

As far as James being an only child versus Ron's not being one--- and James being from a wealthy family versus Ron's obvious poverty.... I'd have to disagree. Ron comes from a very loving family... one that he is close to and though they don't have much... they do the best they can with what they do have.... No I'd say Ron was very rich indeed--- even if they don't have much money in the bank. And likewise.... I'd say that James grew up very poor and in poverty although he had all the money he could ever want... because he did not have a family that he was close to. So you see.... money doesn't necessarily make you rich or poor.... so in fact- in a way... Ron is just as rich as James and James was just as poor as Ron. I hope that made sense... think on it and let me know.

Old January 29th, 2007, 5:49 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitorspass
Do we have canon to tell us that Lily was very popular all through school. I mean we really don't know what her first or even her second year of school was like. She could have been just as un-popular as Hermione. Also, I'm rather under the impression that Hermione isn't so un-popular anymore. She's friends with Ginny... we are also shown that she seems to know an awful lot about Chew Chang for someone who has no friends. Also, Hermione went out with Victor Krum.... remember... she also went out with McClaggen (granted she did it just to get to Ron) do we know that Lily didn't go out with someone to bother James. For that matter do we have any canon to tell us exactly how many guys Lily did or didn't go out with? Do we know yet that Hermione won't go out with anyone else before she and Ron hook up? I'd say that this isn't a difference between the two of them--- I'd say that it's more proof of their likeness to each other.

As far as James being an only child versus Ron's not being one--- and James being from a wealthy family versus Ron's obvious poverty.... I'd have to disagree. Ron comes from a very loving family... one that he is close to and though they don't have much... they do the best they can with what they do have.... No I'd say Ron was very rich indeed--- even if they don't have much money in the bank. And likewise.... I'd say that James grew up very poor and in poverty although he had all the money he could ever want... because he did not have a family that he was close to. So you see.... money doesn't necessarily make you rich or poor.... so in fact- in a way... Ron is just as rich as James and James was just as poor as Ron. I hope that made sense... think on it and let me know.

Umm...Well i'm not being prejudice against ron being poor or anything if thats what you mean!...And i'm not saying that james is better than him because he is rich ..I'm just simply adding my views on how their similiar and how their different!..And i have to agree that in the sense of family....Ron does comes from a big and loving family which makes him rich in that way but who says that james didnt come from a loving family also?..I mean he didnt have no siblings but he DID have sirius and james family accepted him in their home and they always seemed like brothers.....

I'm not saying that the second lily first touched the steps of hogwarts she became popular instantly i mean i'm not pretending i know how lily was actually like in her first or second year at hogwarts! ..i'm baseing this on what we already know about lily and canon from JKR...and that was she was very popular like ginny...i'm saying that it obviously took sometime for her to get to adjust and make some friends...It's a possibility she started getting noticed and going on dates when she became a 4th or 5th year...And Hermione isnt actually popular than Ginny but i agree that she is in her own league of popularity and i think she cares more about books and studyng than going on an actual date...She has no reason too because she already knows who she wants to be with...and thats ron!even if he has trouble realizing that ....

Mcgonagall:Do you think it will work Severus?
Snape: Of course it will....The WB muggles will think this necklace is worth millions of dollars and they will grab it, Then the spell i casted will work and they will all turn into........
Mcgonagall:A bunch of babbling, bumbling band of baboons!....Now Hurry up and package it already!...Serves them right!.

Last edited by MAGICicalMUggle; January 29th, 2007 at 5:59 pm.
Old January 29th, 2007, 7:42 pm
Second Year

I wasn't saying that you were being prejudiced.... I was simply pointing out that Ron- though not monetarily- is rich.
Let's see.... Ron's has 5 brothers and one sister.
so he has 6 siblings who can not only relate to his family situation, but they as siblings will always interact with each other in a way they never could with their parents. (No offense to anyone claiming to be best friends with their parents or children or anything) I mean really different generation--- whole different perspective... if you get what I mean. I'm not saying that James' parents didn't love him.... what I'm saying is that he had less..... a lot less..... and as much as anyone would like to lay claim that Sirius and James' connection was the same as brothers.... it's not. They might of been like brothers but they were not. At the end of it all.... Sirius still had to live and be part of his family.... if not realistically present in their home. He still had to go to his parents for his permission slip to Hogsmead... it couldn't of come from the Potters.
Just like Harry and Ron may feel as close as brothers.... they are not.
Harry at the end of it all was and is not a Weasley.... he still had to put up with Vernon and Petunia Dursley.
I hope what I'm getting at is getting across in what I'm writting. James.... had really no TRUE way of identifing 100% with Sirius' life at home and Sirius (although he may have wished for it) could not have ever completely comprehensed what James' life was like. Just as Molly can not control what Harry does or does not do (like sit in on Ootp business) James' parents couldn't control what Sirius did or didn't do.
I can almost here Sirius telling James that it would be nice to have a mother who is supportive of my decision to associate with Lily... but because she's muggle born... well you know my mother.
No we are not exactly told that James' parents were in favor of his relationship with Lily, but they didn't cut him out of their family when he married her so you have to assume that they were not as adverse to the idea as Mrs. Black would have been.
They were as close as brothers, but no James had no siblings... and at the end of it all he didn't have anywhere near the richness that Ron has.

Old January 31st, 2007, 9:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I don't think this has been mentioned before: I believe that a big reason why Ron is pure blood and Hermione is a muggle-born is because of the dynamics of the trio. Jo made the trio one of each type. Does each member of the trio have a different wand core as well? I think Jo liked the balance it would bring to the trio.
Yes, they all have different wand cores as well. Harry = phoenix tail feather, Hermy = dragonheart string (I always found that odd.), and Ron = unicorn hair (remember the tuft of it sticking out) but I don't really remember if Ron when from unicorn hair to dragonheart string when he got his own wand. (I think he might have.)

Old January 31st, 2007, 9:44 pm
Second Year

I think theres more simalarity between Ginny and Harry and Lily and James, looks wise.

There are somethings you can't share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:05 am
First Year

LOL, when has Ginny found sympathy for Draco, assuming Draco=Snape and Harry=James Ron=Sirius...of course Harry didn't exactly curse Draco in the way James did though...but...you did say looks wise....so I guess I wrote this for nothing

Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:53 pm
Sixth Year

I'm think the only significance to the paralells between James/Lily and Ron/Hermione or Harry/Ginny was just JKR foreshadowing the two major relationships of the series. Ron/Hermione and James/Lily are similar in the dyamics of their relationships (i.e. the constant bickering) and their personalities. Harry/Ginny are like James/Lily in physical looks and their personalities in reverse. Ginny is like James, having the same pranking and adventurous atittude and Harry is like Lily, having her love and compassion for the underdogs and "seeing the good in others". I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this before, having dial-up and not being able to read all the posts.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives