Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why was Snape in Slytherin?



 
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old April 24th, 2007, 6:15 am
apollonia  Female.gif apollonia is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4415 days
Location: Spinner's End
Posts: 304
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I think his reaction to being called a coward was because he knew he was not cowardly at all but had been very brave, but he could not make this known, and it was painful to be viewed that way when no one would be able to know what he was suffering for killing Dumbledore, therefore I disagree that he was not brave, but really this just comes down to the debate over what side he is on.

I could also totally see that happening between Snape and James Potter. They are said to have hated each other from the moment they met, and it was probably before sorting. There are definite similarities between the relationship between those two and Harry and Draco.


__________________
I trust Severus Snape
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old April 24th, 2007, 6:31 am
DarkDaysAhead's Avatar
DarkDaysAhead  Female.gif DarkDaysAhead is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4834 days
Location: Devastation
Posts: 2,863
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnstuff View Post
Snape is not brave enough for Gryffindor.
I disagree. Let's say he is cheating both sides...doing such a thing, lying to the two most powerful wizards of the time, isn't something a coward readily does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestLBeing View Post
I think because he was up to his eyeballs in the dark arts would be a fairly obvious reason. We have canon for that. Some people like to say it is unreliable canon but until JKR says different it is still canon. I also think his spell, Sectumsempra, is a very good indication that he was into the dark arts.
As zgirnius said, being a Slytherin and a Dark Arts buff aren't one in the same.


__________________
eghf



"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence


eghf
  #23  
Old April 24th, 2007, 8:36 pm
dobbysocks  Undisclosed.gif dobbysocks is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4288 days
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 133
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead View Post
Maybe he was wishing the same thing Harry was, only in reverse? Wouldn't that be ironic?

"Not Gryffindor, not Gryffindor."


Yeah, i posted this somewhere else, but it seems to fit quite well here:
This just came to me the other day as I was re-reading Philosophers Stone. As the only person we can truly see in the head of is Harry, is it possible to assume that everyone makes a concious decision of what house to be in? Dumbledore did say that "It is our choices that define us" Also, didn't Ron and Hermione both want to be in Gryfindor? Draco always seemed very fixed on being a slytherin, and it had barely touched his head when it called him "SLYTHERIN"


__________________
"Accio Hagrid!"
C:\Documents and Settings\George\My Documents\yoda.jpg

Check out my fanfic!
  #24  
Old April 24th, 2007, 8:47 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4875 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,605
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead View Post
Maybe he was wishing the same thing Harry was, only in reverse? Wouldn't that be ironic?

"Not Gryffindor, not Gryffindor."


Yes it would be , I could just see him doing that !!


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
  #25  
Old April 24th, 2007, 8:54 pm
deathly_hallowx  Male.gif deathly_hallowx is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4320 days
Posts: 93
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysocks View Post
I was reading through the Sorting Hat songs the other day, and it lead me to wonder why Snape was in Slytherin. Here are my thoughts
Evidence against Snape being in Slytherin
'Power-hungry Slytherin; Loved those of great ambition.': Snape does not strike me as a particularly power hungry or ambitious person. As an incredibly powerful wizard Snape has always had the option to break away from the Order or the Death Eaters, and start his own following. Instead though, he is perfectly happy to keep doing the biiding of others, and seems to enjoy his job as teacher at Hogwarts.
'Said Slytherin, "We'll teach just those; Whose ancestry is purest."': Snape is a half-blood.
Also, never is it specified that being in Slytherin has anything to do with liking the dark arts. It's just that things that make a Slytherin (Greed, cunningness) generally lead to a path to the dark side.
Evidence for Gryffindor
'By Gryffindor, the bravest were; Prized far beyond the rest': Snape is either the only one to ever try to deceive Voldemort, the second most powerful wizard alive, or the only one to continue to succesfully fool Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard alive. Pretty brave wouldn't you say?
Evidence for Hufflepuff
'You might belong in Hufflepuff,; Where they are just and loyal,; Those patient Hufflepuffs are true; And unafraid of toil' I'm not sure about true, but Snape is intensely loyal. Whichever side he is working for every day for the past sixteen years he has been risking his life as a spy for the man he follows. As for unafraid of toil working your way up to being the most trusted follower of the two most powerful wizards and legilimens of the age is pretty tough work!
Evidence for Ravenclaw
'Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,; If you've a steady mind,; Where those of wit and learning,; Will always find their kind;' Not much for this one, just that Snape is an extremely clever man, who had created a whole host of spels by the age of fifteen.
Anyway, please tell me what you think, and anyone who tries to turn this into an "Is Snape good?" thread will be thrown into mount doom
Good points, but Snape just seems like a "Slytherin" sort of person. The way he treats some of the students, and he just has an air of evilness around him.


__________________

Mark.
  #26  
Old April 24th, 2007, 9:09 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4706 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 36
Posts: 6,435
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I think he's a perfect Slytherin. He's definitely not passionate, which would be a Gryffindor, and he acts on reason rather than instinct. He's reserved and a loner. He doesn't give up on his goals and works to achieve them I don't see him belonging anywhere else. Plus nowhere does it say that Slytherins are cowardly.


  #27  
Old April 24th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Melaszka's Avatar
Melaszka  Female.gif Melaszka is offline
HighFunctioning Sociopath
 
Joined: 4593 days
Location: England
Age: 50
Posts: 3,294
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I think he's a perfect Slytherin. He's definitely not passionate, which would be a Gryffindor, and he acts on reason rather than instinct. He's reserved and a loner. He doesn't give up on his goals and works to achieve them I don't see him belonging anywhere else. Plus nowhere does it say that Slytherins are cowardly.
Exactly. And nowhere does it say that they are all evil and into the dark arts - in fact, I believe JKR has specifically confirmed in interview that they are not.

I assume that he is in Slytherin because he is prepared to take a cunning, slow, roundabout route to his goals - something which makes him a very useful spy, whichever side he ultimately turns out to be on. Whether he turns out to be good or not, the fact that he was prepared to roll up his sleeve and show his Dark Mark to the minister at the end of GoF shows that he is prepared to make himself deeply unpopular in order to further his cause - this again marks him as very unlike the proud Gryffindors.

By the way, zgirnius, love the idea about him meeting Potter and Black on the Hogwarts express.


  #28  
Old April 24th, 2007, 9:20 pm
Daelin  Male.gif Daelin is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4845 days
Location: Where God Goes for a Laugh
Age: 58
Posts: 1,117
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I like this thread!

One of the things I like best about it, is that people are more complex than stereotypes, and Jo shows that in her stories. Hermione, for example, is brilliant, and at first glance should be a Ravenclaw, no? Yet as the stories progress, we see her spirit and learn more and more about why Hermione is a Gryffindor.

It's also worth remembering, that each of the four founders brought something to Hogwarts which it needed. That reminds us to reconsider the purpose and value of each of the Houses.


__________________
Severus prepared Harry for war.

And drill sergeants do not hug.
  #29  
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:09 pm
Briar Filth's Avatar
Briar Filth  Female.gif Briar Filth is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5101 days
Location: The TARDIS (UK based)
Posts: 856
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daelin View Post

It's also worth remembering, that each of the four founders brought something to Hogwarts which it needed. That reminds us to reconsider the purpose and value of each of the Houses.
Thanks for bringing that up, it really bugs me when people forget this and simply cast off the entire Slytherin house as evil little gits.

I think the Sorting Hat just uses what initiative it has. It sings in OotP, Chapter 11 'Said Slytherin 'We'll teach just those who Ancestry is purest' Slytherin said purest not pure. Important difference I think. The pureblood wizards are running out, they have to marry and have children with half-bloods and Muggles to keep the magic gene going. Throughout all this the Sorting Hat must stick to its original task, to pick for Slytherin those who are cunning, ambitious and are as pure as possible. There may have been some sortings in the past where all the newbies who had Slytherin qualities weren't completely pureblood - what's the hat supposed to do? It's got to pick some people for Slytherin each year. If Slytherin had said 'pure' and not 'purest' then his House would eventually be empty at Hogwarts because pure magical blood is running dry. The Hat's just using it's initiative, and since Severus is a cunning, ambitious and very clever person, I doubt the Hat would have ruled him out just because he is half-blood.


__________________


Join the ASA and help prevent spoilers

  #30  
Old April 25th, 2007, 4:50 pm
dobbysocks  Undisclosed.gif dobbysocks is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4288 days
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 133
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly_hallowx View Post
I think Ron will sacrifice himself for Harry in the end. He has already done it once, at the human chess board in The Philosophers Stone.
You're probably right, but what does that have to do with Snape?


__________________
"Accio Hagrid!"
C:\Documents and Settings\George\My Documents\yoda.jpg

Check out my fanfic!
  #31  
Old April 25th, 2007, 5:19 pm
HogwartsGrad04  Female.gif HogwartsGrad04 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4257 days
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

He was genetically disposed to be in Slytherin.

At least, that's what I think. Just look at Percy. He completely has the characteristics of a Slytherin, especially in the later books, but he's in Gryffindor just like the rest of the Weasleys. So I think that family history must have something to do with it.


__________________




Click, download, and choose to support the American Red Cross while they give aid to the victims of Virginia Tech.
  #32  
Old April 25th, 2007, 6:15 pm
PotionA's Avatar
PotionA  Female.gif PotionA is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4940 days
Location: On Binky's lap
Age: 34
Posts: 3,148
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Filth
The Hat's just using it's initiative, and since Severus is a cunning, ambitious and very clever person, I doubt the Hat would have ruled him out just because he is half-blood.
Exactly. His ambitious streak might not reflect in his external persona, but a boy who is capable of inventing spells, has an exceptional IQ level, and eventually joined the ranks of the Death Eaters is bound to envision himself in a high-flying position in his future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka
Whether he turns out to be good or not, the fact that he was prepared to roll up his sleeve and show his Dark Mark to the minister at the end of GoF shows that he is prepared to make himself deeply unpopular in order to further his cause - this again marks him as very unlike the proud Gryffindors.
Yes but it takes a lot of courage to divulge something like that and being in Gryffindor has a lot to do with being brave, hence it means that they are capable of doing what Snape did


__________________



Dance Pretty
  #33  
Old April 25th, 2007, 8:10 pm
thru_n_thru  Female.gif thru_n_thru is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4266 days
Age: 46
Posts: 82
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
nowhere does it say that they are all evil and into the dark arts
Agreed. I'm thinking of Slughorn, the only good natured, somwehat likeable, sociable, happy-go-lucky Slytherin I remember meeting in the series. Sure, he was most interested in furthering his own ambitions and was undoubtedly out for himself, but he was not evil or into the dark arts. I think one of the main purposes of introducing Slughorn was to show that Slytherins could be likeable, good people, since all the Slytherins we had met in the first five books had been less than pleasant and certainly not very likeable.

I really like the idea that James and Sirius became friends on the train and Snape met up with them and they hated eachother right off the bat... nice parrallel to Harry, Ron, and Draco. I can also see Snape sitting on the stool with the sorting hat on his head wanting to be anywhere but with Sirius and james in Gryffindor! I also really like the idea that all the students "choose" their house, however unknowingly... it would explain how Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor, seeing as his whole family before him was Slytherin.


__________________
"Is that where -?" whispered Professor McGonagall.
"Yes," said Dumbledore. "He'll have that scar forever."
"Couldn't you do something about it, Dumbledore?"
"Even if I could, I wouldn't.
Scars can come in handy."

Sorcerer's Stone, chapter 1
  #34  
Old April 26th, 2007, 1:43 am
EBJ23  Female.gif EBJ23 is offline
Student
 
Joined: 4379 days
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Age: 28
Posts: 927
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I think that Snape chose to be in Slytherin just like Harry chose to be in Griffindor. I agree with the above idea that he wanted to be as far away from James and Sirius as possible.


  #35  
Old April 26th, 2007, 3:07 am
wimblemimble's Avatar
wimblemimble  Female.gif wimblemimble is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4496 days
Location: The Island
Age: 28
Posts: 741
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillikitty2000 View Post
There is also the fact that he went bad and in Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone, it says that there wasn't a which or wizard who went bad who wasn't in slytherin. Snape went to Voldemorts side so that makes him bad which unless the statement is false, leads to the conclusion that he would be in slytherin.
Well, either way this statement is over exaggerated. At the time everyone thought Sirius Black was a mass murderer and a betrayer, and he was in Gryffindor. But instead the evil Gryffindor was Peter Pettigrew.


  #36  
Old April 26th, 2007, 5:08 am
gorgie101  Female.gif gorgie101 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4430 days
Location: Texas
Age: 36
Posts: 200
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I agree that Snape probably had a very similar experience to what Harry had. I really think he begged to be in any house but Gryffindor and the hat put him in slytherin. I really think this is the case and that Harry will find out about it at some point and it will help lead him to see Snape in a different light.


__________________
" I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -- Galileo Galilei



Here's to the strong, thanks to the brave, Don't give up hope, some people change. Against all odds, against the grain, Love finds a way, some people change. --Montgomery Gentry

DIATSSISE
  #37  
Old April 26th, 2007, 5:13 am
aislin's Avatar
aislin  Female.gif aislin is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4680 days
Location: Department of Mysteries
Age: 35
Posts: 1,130
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I have also thought that Snape asked to be put into Slytherin. Maybe he had an encounter with James and Sirius on the train, much like Harry meeting Draco. It would highlight (again) the importance of choices in the series and makes a nice mirror to Harry's own sorting.


__________________
A Night with Harry, Carrie and Garp-August 1, 2006

Prophecy 2007!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

  #38  
Old April 26th, 2007, 7:47 am
hershlag  Female.gif hershlag is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4256 days
Location: Auckland
Age: 29
Posts: 103
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

good point i think he would have begged.
if not already stated he would have wanted to become all that slytherin wanted to offer i.e glory and power


__________________

She got Bette Davis Eyes....
  #39  
Old April 27th, 2007, 7:50 am
DBear  Male.gif DBear is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4614 days
Location: USA
Age: 52
Posts: 134
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I do not think Snape's mother was necessarily a Slytherin. Witness the huge collection of books at his home in Spinner's End. Where did they come from? Unlikely from a professor's salary over sixteen years, and he'd be more likely to spend it on potions equipment. I think it likely they were from his mother, and she was actually a Ravenclaw.


__________________
  #40  
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:29 pm
dobbysocks  Undisclosed.gif dobbysocks is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4288 days
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 133
Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
I do not think Snape's mother was necessarily a Slytherin. She was actually a Ravenclaw.
Either way, I don't think parentage really has any impact on what house you're in, except for traits you learn off your parents. Take Parvati and Padma, they are twins, but in different houses.


__________________
"Accio Hagrid!"
C:\Documents and Settings\George\My Documents\yoda.jpg

Check out my fanfic!
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 6:00 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.