Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why was Snape in Slytherin?

Old June 5th, 2007, 5:26 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Why was Snape in Slytherin?

I really don't think it's that complicated. He could have gone one of four places. His potential for cleverness and ambition were obviously a bit stronger than his bravery, intelligence or dutifulness. (That does not imply lack of bravery, intelligence or dutifulness, btw, just more powerful cleverness and ambition.) Simple enough, to me anyway.

(His instant dislike of James may have influenced his desire to be in Slytherin, but I doubt he ever wanted to be anywhere else to begin with. I can imagine him thinking the Gryffindor kids to be unsubtle blowhards, more or less.)

Last edited by Hinoema; June 5th, 2007 at 5:29 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2007, 5:48 am
Second Year

I am sure he thought gryffindors were fools who wear their heart on their sleeves. I would be surprised if he was in any other house. But I dont think there is any house other than slytherin which is perfect for him.

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:26 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
but I doubt he ever wanted to be anywhere else to begin with. I can imagine him thinking the Gryffindor kids to be unsubtle blowhards, more or less.)
Well, yes, but the question would be when he decided this. From his nickname 'snivelly' it seems to be that he himself tended to lose control of his own emotions. I think it was because of this that he was started on the path towards keeping himself emiotionless. If you don't let them know what you are thinking or feeling, they have less power over you.

This, in turn, could have easily set him up for his skill in Occumacy. He already, by the time he took up the spying position with Dumbledore, would have been able to shut down his emotions. I can see the need for that around Voldemort to be greater than around the Marauders.

I'm not sure why I keep rambling, but I guess I'm trying to say that I don't think Severus joined Slytherin simply because they were more (seemingly) emotionless overall than normal.

Old June 6th, 2007, 4:39 pm
Second Year

I think that a lot of where you are sorted has to do with your influences. Take Harry for example: All the wizarding people he met and liked prior to his Hog warts experience were Gryfindor (Hagrid, the Weasleys, etc.) and look where he ended up. Could Eillen or Tobias have been in Slytherin.

Check out my fanfic!
Old June 6th, 2007, 5:07 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysocks View Post
I think that a lot of where you are sorted has to do with your influences. Take Harry for example: All the wizarding people he met and liked prior to his Hog warts experience were Gryfindor (Hagrid, the Weasleys, etc.) and look where he ended up. Could Eillen or Tobias have been in Slytherin.
Well, Tobias could not have been - he was a muggle, so he had never been to Hogwarts. We don't yet have any clues yet to Eileen's 'house'

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old June 6th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Secret Keeper

Candis Magazine November, 2001JR: New pupils at Hogwarts try on a talking magic hat. But Harry is disturbed by what the hat tells him.

JKR: What Iím working towards there is the fact that our choices, rather than our abilities, show us what we truly are. Thatís brought out in the difference between Harry and his arch-enemy, Tom Riddle. In Chamber of Secrets, Harry is told by the hat that if he goes into Slytherin house, home of warped wizards, he will become a powerful wizard. He chooses not to do that. But Tom Riddle, who has been twisted by ambition and lack of love, succumbs to the desire for power. Though heís supposed to have died years before, his malign spirit manipulates events through an enchanted diary.
JK has repeatedly told us it's about choices. That was the first time I'd heard her refer to Slytherin as the House for warped wizards, though. She tells us their not all bad.

Perhaps Severus chose Slytherin because of ambition, one of several traits from Slytherin House: an earnest desire for some type of achievement or distinction, as power, honor, fame, or wealth, and the willingness to strive for its attainment.

This echoes, somewhat, something Alan Rickman said in an interview regarding Snape:
Unreel Feature, Alan RickmanQ: Can you tell us a little about your character Professor Snape?

A: Well he's Professor of Potions and the current head of Slytherin House at Hogwarts - the school of wizardry that Harry attends, but he harbours a secret ambition to be a Professor of the Dark Arts. He isn't that taken with Harry though, probably because he finds him a little too popular for a first year pupil I suppose. I think at heart Snape is basically quite an insecure person, he's always longing to be something else that people will really respect like a black magician not just a school master. That's why he envies the more popular and successful boys like Harry. He does have his positive side though even though Harry's a thorn in his side he doesn't let it worry him too much.

Old June 7th, 2007, 7:11 pm
Registered Animagus

I think powerful friends was mentioned from the sorting hat in Harry's first year.
Snape and Lucius are good friends are they not?
Snape is very true to the Slytherin way. He's ambitious and dedicated. He's also an elitist.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives