Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Scholastic Question #4: Who Ends Up With Whom?

View Poll Results: Who will wind up together?
Harry and Ginny 104 72.73%
Ron and Hermione 126 88.11%
Harry and Hermione 10 6.99%
Lupin and Tonks 93 65.03%
Hagrid and Madame Maxime 53 37.06%
Other - post in thread 19 13.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Scholastic Question #4: Who Ends Up With Whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTerrible View Post
Actually, the main question asks, "Who Will Wind Up With Whom?, but the bookmark says, "Who Will End Up With Whom?". This makes me think that it means, once the story is over, who will be together, not just who will be a couple. If this were true, Harry-Ginny already happened.
True: but if Harry dies while he is dating Ginny, then he ends up with her!

This is a real problem that we ran into with the 101 Most Important Questions survey: asking questions exactly enough so that there is minimum misunderstanding. Fortunately, we had a few people who had taught and written exams before. I (and they) learned then that you have to be really careful, as some student somewhere is going to twist the question OR get hung up on this. Suppose that this were an exam, and a student put down that Harry ended up with Ginny even though one or the other died; if they were marked wrong because of the death, many students would raise Hades insisting that the question was a trick.

(For all of our effort, people still managed to insert "exceptions" to our questions and answers: in most cases, they "tricked" themselves by deciding that some A that is not a subset of B when it plainly is, but in other cases, they were correct!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I just checked, you can vote more than once.
Still, the multiple voting explanation is pretty unlikely: on one hand, any automated routine would have swamped that with an order of magnitude more H+H votes (or more), whereas it would take hours to register 10's of thousands of votes manually.

Instead, I would bet that it is a lot of young fans, of the same sort who do not expect Voldemort to die at the end. To young kids, it might well seem that Harry & Ginny really broke up at the end of Prince, or that Harry does not really care that much about her if he was willing to break off with her.

Also, there are a lot of casual readers who just sort of assume that the protagonist will hook up with the leading lady, and who really do not remember too much in the way of details from the prior books. They will have forgotten about the HeRon stuff. Remember, never in the books as it been stated that Harry & Hermione would not get together, and only the really hardcore Harry Potter fans read interviews with Rowling. Remember, we are a minority within a minority here!

Jammi: I am too lazy too look; did we include shipping questions beyond Harry & Ginny and Ron & Hermione?

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; May 29th, 2007 at 11:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Fourth Year

Ron and Hermione its destiny to quote Pheobe Boffet She's his Lobster. I really want to see Harry and Ginny too but as we're still not sure either of them will make it out of this war in one piece I couldn't really vote that way. Plus I only had one choice

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
Edit: You can only vote for one? No way is Jo going to kill off two 'ships. At least, I hope not... *sticks stubbornly with her vote*
I doubt it means that. That would imply that the people running the website and setting the questions have read the book, and I doubt that is the case. Even the head of Scholastic himself has said he hasn't read it - only a select few involved in the editing process have had access to the text.

I voted for Ron/Hermione, Tonks/Lupin and Harry/Ginny, though I voted for the last with far less certainty, because I'm pessimistic about Harry's chances of survival. Still, I think they'll get back together at some point in the book. But I certainly think Ron and Hermione will end up married, and I can see Tonks and Lupin making it, too. On the Scholastic site, I voted Ron/Hermione, since I'm most certain about them.

Personally, I'm surprised that Harry/Hermione is on there at all, given what JKR said a few years ago (and has actually been saying since 1999). Still, you can't really expect the people running the Scholastic website to have read every interview with her - they're not going to be obsessive fans like us.

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Jammi: I am too lazy too look; did we include shipping questions beyond Harry & Ginny and Ron & Hermione?
Nope, but i do remember us asking about Luna, Neville and a couple of other people about who they would get together with, but we seemed to have dropped them for some reason (probally because they weren't going to be answered by the book).

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old May 30th, 2007, 2:07 am
Second Year

I voted for Ron/Hermione and Lupin/Tonks. Iam a big fan of Harry/Ginny but as I think Harry will die at the end of the story, I do not consider this an option for DH.

Proud Ravenclaw Third Year
Old May 30th, 2007, 2:35 am
Fourth Year

I voted
Harry/Ginny - They are IMO soulmates, very connected there is a spark there when I read about them, a raging monster in the pit of their stomachs - IMO it is now canon whether they hook up again in the book or death precedes it, they are together.

Ron/Hermione - so obvious throughout the story and hits me like an "anvil"!

Tonks/Lupin - I so want this - Lupin has already lost his best friends and he has been the best DADA teacher Harry had - he deserves a break.

I wanted to vote other but I couldn't think of any "others" at the time.

Well Done ASA!

In the words of 1980's Wham t-shirt "Choose Life" Harry!!!!! (and Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Molly, Arthur, Neville, Luna, Lupin, Tonks, Hagrid, McGonagall, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill Fleur...well you get the idea!)
*wonders off embarrassed because I now sound like Hagrid at the end of "Chamber of Secrets" movie *
Old May 30th, 2007, 2:55 am
Offishul Fan Girl

Definitely Ron and Hermione.

Just call me the captain of the good 'ship "Obvious."

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.

Last edited by Lillbet; May 30th, 2007 at 2:55 am. Reason: save your fork, there's pie!
Old May 30th, 2007, 7:13 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestLBeing View Post
Under other I think the Giant Squid and Moaning Myrtle would make a cute couple.
You evil, evil person. What has the Giant Squid EVER done to you? No-one deserves Moaning Myrtle.

*shudders* Poor Squid. I bet even calamari looks attractive after MM...

Anyway, I'm one of those poor lost souls that still lives in hope for H/Hr, as I've lost all hope of getting Hr/Krum. I also voted for other, as I have a very soft spot for Ron & Luna.

I love Lupin, but him and Tonks just don't sit well with me for some reason. Still, if he lives and is happy, I don't care if he ends up with Grawp.

Old May 30th, 2007, 12:48 pm
Zonko's Employee

Hmm... other? Well, Bill/Fleur, of course. I'm anticipating Filch/Pince as well.

Old May 30th, 2007, 1:15 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, Hagrid/Maxime, and Lupin/Tonks. I didn't vote for other, but Bill/Fleur is a certainty. Filch/Pince would be funny.

On the Scholastic poll, I voted Ron/Hermione. It's odd that you can only pick one for that. I wonder why they did that?

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old May 30th, 2007, 1:17 pm
Seventh Year

I see that the Harry/Hermione supporters are still out there and going pretty strong by the looks of it.

Old May 30th, 2007, 1:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I still have hopes for Ginny/Neviile but I voted Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, though it dosen't really matter much really, does it?, just as long as they are all happy and alive at the end

Old May 30th, 2007, 2:20 pm
Third Year

I only picked Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione, because I think the chances of Lupin and Tonks being killed off are pretty high, and I'm not sure about Hagrid ending up with Madame Maxime...as for Harry and Hermione, well why is that even an option??

Old May 30th, 2007, 2:57 pm
Third Year

Other...Mundungus Fletcher/Ms. Figg & Crookshanks/Ms. Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I still have hopes for Ginny/Neviile
Then you should read my fanfic, Neville Longbottom and The Perfect Day!

Part I: Acceptable
Part II: Acceptable

Last edited by TonytheTerrible; May 30th, 2007 at 3:01 pm.
Old May 30th, 2007, 4:53 pm
First Year

I voted for Ron & Hermione and Harry & Ginny. It's just destiny. I'm not really sure will Lupin & Tonks wind up together but since I want to believe in happy ship endings, I voted for them too! It would be quite cute. Although I think both of their chances of getting killed are quite big..

I must say that I nearly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the results on the Scholastic website. H&H's lead was so big and all.. Where do all the H&H supporters come from?!

Nothing on Earth could come between them.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:29 am
Second Year

I voted for Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. For some reason, I just don't see Tonks/Lupin working out too nicely, but who knows.

Old May 31st, 2007, 12:31 am
Mouse

I've deleted some posts that were less than kind to Harry/Hermione shippers.

ETA and one more below mine.

Last edited by Jessica; May 31st, 2007 at 1:27 am.
Old May 31st, 2007, 1:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTerrible View Post
I hope they don't read Emerson's interview with Jo. They would be really offended.
I've read it, and I live on. My H/Hr love goes on undimmed. It's going to take more than an anvil, I'm afraid. We're just going to have to agree that we prefer different things.

Old May 31st, 2007, 2:12 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane99 View Post
I've read it, and I live on. My H/Hr love goes on undimmed. It's going to take more than an anvil, I'm afraid. We're just going to have to agree that we prefer different things.
I can accept this
I guess it's like saying you'd have preferred Juliet to fall in love with Mercutio instead of Romeo. Just because it doesn't occur in the narrative doesn't mean you can't prefer it.
Kind of like the Eliza Doolittle effect (marries Freddy in the play and Henry in the movie)! Maybe in Harry Potter the musical, Harry and Hermione will get together

Old May 31st, 2007, 4:20 am
Inconceivable!

The movies, especially a few scenes in GoF, have made it look like there still is some Harry-Hermione chemistry out there.

Last edited by SusanBones; May 31st, 2007 at 4:49 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives