Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Scholastic Question #4: Who Ends Up With Whom?

View Poll Results: Who will wind up together?
Harry and Ginny 104 72.73%
Ron and Hermione 126 88.11%
Harry and Hermione 10 6.99%
Lupin and Tonks 93 65.03%
Hagrid and Madame Maxime 53 37.06%
Other - post in thread 19 13.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 31st, 2007, 3:30 am
Second Year

Re: Scholastic Question #4: Who Ends Up With Whom?

I voted for all the couples, except Harry/Hermione. Why did they even put that on there, after Jo specifically said it's not happening? *sigh* Silly Scholastic unenlightened non-readers

The "others": Bill/Fleur (duh! They're getting married, for goodness sake!)
and Filch/Madam Pince, cause I just think that'd be funny - and there's evidence!

and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Last edited by ModernInkling; May 31st, 2007 at 3:36 am.
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2007, 3:55 am
Third Year

Either Ron or Hermione are in my opinion more likely to die than Harry or Ginny...well, I don't see Ginny dying, and the probability of EITHER Ron or Hermione dying is about the same as the probability of Harry dying i suppose.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old May 31st, 2007, 4:09 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally posted by HouseStark
Either Ron or Hermione are in my opinion more likely to die than Harry or Ginny...well, I don't see Ginny dying, and the probability of EITHER Ron or Hermione dying is about the same as the probability of Harry dying i suppose.
On the contrary, I think that the trio will make it. I think Ginny's gonna kick the bucket though. It'd be sad, but I'd rather see G/H go down the drain than R/Hr. I've been waiting since book three (maybe four, I don't really remember), it's got to happen. THEY CAN'T DIE!!!! I'd bawl for days, which would really suck since I've got a job at Hy-Vee now. If you see the bagger who's crying their eyeballs out at the end of the register and either Ron or Hermione has died in book seven, you'll know that it's probably me.

I voted for Harry/Ginny (if they live...), Ron/Hermione, and Tonks/ Lupin.

But my favorite couple is....Draco/potatoesrock. Just Kidding!

Lord of the Rings fan with a weird sense of humor? Read my fanfic!
Old May 31st, 2007, 4:20 am
Mad Hatter

I voted Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. I didn't choose the Lupin/Tonks one for several reasons. I just think that Remus is not as into her as she is with him.

Old May 31st, 2007, 4:32 am
Third Year

I voted for: Harry and Ginny
Ron and Hermione
Lupin and Tonks
Hagrid and Madame Maxime
But I don't want to start another fight so I'll keep why I did to myself.

Old May 31st, 2007, 9:32 am
Fifth Year

The only way Harry and Hermione will end up together, is if Ron and Ginny both die.......and I'm not wishing for that!

Old May 31st, 2007, 10:14 am
Mrs Grawp

I voted for all except Harry and Hermione.

My serious and canon based choices for "others":

Bill and Fleur
Fred and Angelina
George and that muggle girl in the paper shop

My less canon based choices:

Lily and the Squid
Motorbike and Ford Anglia
Arnold the pigmy puff and Pigwidgeon
Crookshanks and Hedwig
Luna and Charly (honeymoon in sweden looking for Crumpled horned snorkacks )
Slughorn and Sprout (remember that tender moment in the garden?)
Fluffy and Fang

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:07 pm
Second Year

I obviously voted for Ron and Hermione! I sort of cared when I first saw the results, but then I realised that it is a poll where one can repeately vote until his or her thumb falls off! However, I will admit that I voted a little more than once, but then decided that it wasn't worth it at all!

"A slightly stunned silence greeted the end of this speech, then Ron said, 'One person can't feel all that at once, they'd explode.'
'Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have,' said Hermione nastily, picking up her quill again."
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:59 pm
Third Year

I voted Ron/Hermione (of course ) and a hesitant Harry/Ginny, because even though I think Harry is going to die in DH I can see them getting back together sometime during the book, so technically he will be with Ginny in the end

Didn't vote other, because Bill/Fleur is kind of a given now, and Pince/Filch was just a little joking nod to what Harry had said earlier in the book, so I'm not really sure on that one. And I didn't vote Lupin/Tonks because I don't like that ship

HPIA

Old May 31st, 2007, 2:15 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurvmedespair View Post
I voted Ron/Hermione (of course ) and a hesitant Harry/Ginny, because even though I think Harry is going to die in DH I can see them getting back together sometime during the book, so technically he will be with Ginny in the end
Exactly my thoughts.

I voted for Lupin/Tonks even though I don't like the ship just because it's canon and I hope Lupin finds happiness at the end. I also hope Bill and Fleur finally have a wonderful wedding despite the circumstances.

Old May 31st, 2007, 3:58 pm
First Year

I voted for every couple except for harry/hermione.

Old May 31st, 2007, 4:23 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernInkling View Post
I voted for all the couples, except Harry/Hermione. Why did they even put that on there, after Jo specifically said it's not happening? *sigh* Silly Scholastic unenlightened non-readers
Well, they obviously have read the books to ask these questions. However, they either have not read all of the interviews with Rowling, or they are assuming that the vast majority of the people out there know only what they read in the books (or, as so often is the case, what they read into the books! ).

So, someone who is not paying too much attention to this aspect of the series and who is either too young or too old to remember the absurdity that is teen romance could easily be thinking this: after all, the leading male and leading female hook up most of the time.

(A few movie reviewers expressed surprise at the Goblet of Fire movie: they all had assumed that Harry would wind up with Hermione simply because that is what happens most of the time, and they were surprised to see all the romantic tension to be between Hermione & Ron.)

As for other couples, it is curious that we see so few of them. One would think, for example, that Fred & George would have been quite popular with the ladies: the incorrigible and very funny "bad-boys" always cut a swath with the ladies. However, we have no indication that either of them had a girlfriend while at Hogwarts: perhaps young witches tend to judge young wizards by the size of their wallets......

Instead, it was only Percy who had a girlfriend: and that seems to have led to nothing. (It is improbable that the ambitious Percy would have kept a Muggleborn girlfriend when he was trying to impress people who are reflexively impressed with old family names.)

I had always half suspected that Ernie McMillan and Hannah Abbott were a pair, but they could just as easily be platonic friends. (I doubt that we will read anything about either of these two again, so it probably is moot to speculate.) Of course, even if they were, then they still probably would not "end up" with each other: I mean, how many people here even know how to contact a teenage girl/boyfriend anymore? It is unusual enough for college relationships to lead to anything permanent: and, indeed, not unusual for marriage to not lead to anything permanent!

Still, I probably am splitting hairs......

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old May 31st, 2007, 6:15 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
mean, how many people here even know how to contact a teenage girl/boyfriend anymore? It is unusual enough for college relationships to lead to anything permanent: and, indeed, not unusual for marriage to not lead to anything permanent!
Well, allthough in our real life this is correct, in the HP world, we've seen that most school pairs ended up in marriage and something serious: Arthur/Molly, James/Lily for example
So it's not unusal to deduce that Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione will end up being together for something more serious, or at least it will be hinted that way in book 7. (And yes, they'll all survive)

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old May 31st, 2007, 6:22 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Luna and Charly (honeymoon in sweden looking for Crumpled horned snorkacks )
As a Luna/George 'shipper, I challenge you to a duel ^_^ Since neither us have any canon... um... *runs away*

Though I really wish I had clicked Other now. I think Neville might marry Parvati (or Susan Bones, but at least for Parvati there's a vague hint of foreshadowing. Susan is more just because I think she seems nice.) In the epilogue, you know? That would be kind of cute.

Oh, and there's Bill/Fleur, obviously. Even though I've never paid much attention to them, I hope they live happily ever after and all that.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old May 31st, 2007, 6:40 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Well, allthough in our real life this is correct, in the HP world, we've seen that most school pairs ended up in marriage and something serious: Arthur/Molly, James/Lily for example
Two is not "most school pairs!" Most of the characters that we have seen did not leave school with a romantic partner, so they will obviously be marrying someone from later in life.

Indeed, even among Harry and his friends, most of the school pairings necessarily lead nowhere: Ron's not going to wind up with Lavender, Harry's not going to wind up with Cho, Hermione is not going to end up with Krum, Ginny is not going to wind up with Dean or Michael Corner, and Fleur is not winding up with Davies (despite that oh-so-amusing rosebush scene!). So, even in Potterverse, only a minority of school couples "end up" with each other (whatever that means).

I always thought that Luna & Neville should have been a couple. They remind me of a pair that I knew in college: but that would be a very COS unfriendly story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
I think Neville might marry Parvati (or Susan Bones, but at least for Parvati there's a vague hint of foreshadowing.
What foreshadowing is there? I do not recall any statements or deeds that would suddenly make sense in an alternative way if those two paired off. Did I miss something? Still, I am betting that we have seen the last of the Patil sisters: if their father would not let them stay for Dumbledore's funeral, then he probably is going to discourage them from returning to Hogwarts even if it reopens. I wonder if Rowling is going to bother telling us about such quaternary characters as the Patils in the epilogue? I hope not: I'd rather get a bit more info on the tertiary characters like Neville, Luna or the Twins.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; May 31st, 2007 at 6:46 pm.
Old May 31st, 2007, 6:56 pm
Fifth Year

I voted for Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, and Lupin/Tonks. They're the ones that seem most likely. I admit Hagrid/Madame Maxine would be nice, but I don't think it's happening.

Old May 31st, 2007, 6:59 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
What foreshadowing is there? I do not recall any statements or deeds that would suddenly make sense in an alternative way if those two paired off. Did I miss something? Still, I am betting that we have seen the last of the Patil sisters: if their father would not let them stay for Dumbledore's funeral, then he probably is going to discourage them from returning to Hogwarts even if it reopens. I wonder if Rowling is going to bother telling us about such quaternary characters as the Patils in the epilogue? I hope not: I'd rather get a bit more info on the tertiary characters like Neville, Luna or the Twins.
Did I say foreshadowing? I meant, "they're cute and I like them." Sorry about that Though I do have canon! A teeny tiny inconsequential smidgen of it!

The Midnight Duel, PS"Did you see his face, the great lump?"

The other Slytherins joined in.

"Shut up, Malfoy," snapped Parvati Patil.

"Ooh, sticking up for Longbottom?" said Pansy Parkinson, a hard-faced Slytherin girl. "Never thought you'd like fat little cry babies, Parvati."

If that isn't true fictional love, I don't know what is

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old May 31st, 2007, 8:18 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I always thought that Luna & Neville should have been a couple. They remind me of a pair that I knew in college: but that would be a very COS unfriendly story!
I wonder if the lack of a Neville/Luna romance might be a sign that one of them will die. But then, JKR's reasoning for it seems to be that she doesn't think they're suited for each other, and perhaps she didn't want to completely pair-up the DoM sextet - that would have seemed a little unlikely. It's also possible she has other plans for Neville - I have the feeling that Luna may not have been a character planned from the beginning, but who was created due to a story necessity in OotP.

Quote:
I wonder if Rowling is going to bother telling us about such quaternary characters as the Patils in the epilogue? I hope not: I'd rather get a bit more info on the tertiary characters like Neville, Luna or the Twins.
I bet we'll get a line or two about their future careers, but I imagine the more important characters will get the most detail. I don't think characters like the Patil twins have been drawn with enough depth to warrant more than a few lines (and rightly so).

Old May 31st, 2007, 8:28 pm
Fourth Year

I voted for all the couples..

Old May 31st, 2007, 8:29 pm
Second Year

harry & ginny, ron& hermione, lupin & tonks

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives