Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Aurors protecting Hogwarts?

Old June 6th, 2007, 3:56 pm
First Year

Aurors protecting Hogwarts?

Just wondering where do you guys think the aurors assigned to protect Hogwarts were at the time the death eaters attacked in HBP. This has bothered me for awhile as surely the battle would have been fairly easy and the death eaters caught if they were present.

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 4:29 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Aurors protecting Hogwarts?

they could have been aywhere around te castle in the corridors...but the deatheaters entered through the room of reqiurement so they wouldn't have known they had come in until they were being attacked.....

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old June 6th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I thought some were stationed in Hogsmeade.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 6th, 2007, 4:51 pm
First Year

They were stationed all aroung the entrances to Hogwarts and in Hogsmeade. No one thought that Death Eaters would be able to get into the castle any other way. So they would not have known what was going on inside.
Although Tonks was inside patroling the corridors, why didnt she tell her coleagues when the Death Eaters arrived?? That is interesting.

Old June 6th, 2007, 4:53 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Since he was going to be away from the school, Dumbledore asked them to patrol the corridors while he and Harry went after the horcrux. Tonks, Lupin, and Bill, along with McGonagall were covering what they believed to be the only entrances. They did not know that anyone could get in through the vanishing cabinent in the room of requirement; that's how the Death Eaters were able to take them by surprise. McGonagall explains this much in The Phoenix Lament.

Old June 6th, 2007, 5:11 pm
First Year

If the aurors were stationed in Hogsmeade surely they would have seen the dark mark and have some way of gaining enterance to Hogwarts.

Old June 6th, 2007, 6:16 pm
First Year

The only aurors protecting hog warts are the ones in theorder.

Well monkey's eat bananas which grow on trees and trees grow cherries too. And George Washington chopped down a cherry tree. Therefore, George Washington was a monkey

This Quote was originaly typed by Markle
Old June 6th, 2007, 9:27 pm
First Year

Actually I believe the auror dwalish aswell as 2 named savage and proudfoot were also at Hogwarts.

Old June 6th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Fifth Year

I'll check when I get a chance to go up stairs (should be studying). From what I remember they were stationed around Hosmead. Were Dawlish, Savage and Proudfoot not set to follow Dumbledore rather than protect Hogwarts? It's interesting that they didn't notice the dark Mark. Maybe they tried to follow Dumbledore? I suppose Tonks thought that if they saw who was in the Order of the Phoenix her and Arthurs' would be in danger.

Old June 6th, 2007, 9:57 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Yes not only Order of the Phoenix aurors are stationed at Hogsmeade. I guess most of them were at Hogsmeade during the attack. Wouldn't surprise me if there stayed at the Hogs Head or the Three Broomsticks. I don't think that Dumbledore liked them snooping around Hogwarts, with the exception of Tonks. Mainly because his relationship with the Ministry wasn't that great.

So I guess he asked the Order of the Phoenix members and Tonks kept it a secret that she would patrol inside the castle.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old June 6th, 2007, 9:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesHPfan View Post
So I guess he asked the Order of the Phoenix members and Tonks kept it a secret that she would patrol inside the castle.
Yeah that seems the most logical answer.

Old June 7th, 2007, 1:44 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgot101 View Post
If the aurors were stationed in Hogsmeade surely they would have seen the dark mark and have some way of gaining enterance to Hogwarts.
That's a good point if Harry and Dumbledore saw it from Hogsmeade then surely the Aurors who where suppose to be there would see it as well. Are you telling me none of them went up to the school to see what was going on? Very fishy.

Old June 7th, 2007, 8:32 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgot101 View Post
Just wondering where do you guys think the aurors assigned to protect Hogwarts were at the time the death eaters attacked in HBP. This has bothered me for awhile as surely the battle would have been fairly easy and the death eaters caught if they were present.
I am quite sure that there was a false alarm raised in some other section of the region and hence didn't respond to the Dark Mark over the tower.

Old June 7th, 2007, 9:42 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defyeverything View Post
That's a good point if Harry and Dumbledore saw it from Hogsmeade then surely the Aurors who where suppose to be there would see it as well. Are you telling me none of them went up to the school to see what was going on? Very fishy.
Well if they where staying at the Three Broomsticks it could have been possible that Madame Rosmerta, who was under the Imperius curse kept them away from the windows. That way they didn't see the Dark Mark and didn't know what was going on. Equally if they where in any other building it's possible they didn't see it, it was at night, so it wouldn't surprise me if the aurors were in bed.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:43 am
Fifth Year

I honestly believe that a lot of it just goes back to the fact that absolutely no one thought that the DE would be entering the school from a magical cabinet in the Room of Requirement. That does certainlt go to explain why there were no Aurors around immediately when the attack began.
However, I do think it's kind of funny that more Aurors didn't appear during the attack to fight. Surely one of the teachers or present Aurors could have called for back-up or something? Or maybe help was on its way, but was simply late in getting there? Bad timing, perhaps?
Actually, the whole thing reminds me of a something my mum likes to say sometimes..."The worst things happen at the worst times."

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old June 7th, 2007, 4:33 pm
First Year

Another question that occurred to me was if the aurors were stationed in Hogsmeade why were they not the first on the scene when Katie Bell was cursed by the opal necklace. If aurors are indeed extremely well trained against the dark arts surely the could have helped her.

Old June 7th, 2007, 6:10 pm
First Year

The Aurours might have been attempting to act on Katie Bell, that happened really fast, and Harry and friends happened to be right there.

Old June 7th, 2007, 7:31 pm
Fifth Year

They were right there and Harry ran to get Hagrid (who some of them had already had dealings with). But would they not have been following Harry at the very least?

~TheInvisibleFiend~

Old June 7th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I honestly believe that a lot of it just goes back to the fact that absolutely no one thought that the DE would be entering the school from a magical cabinet in the Room of Requirement. That does certainlt go to explain why there were no Aurors around immediately when the attack began.
However, I do think it's kind of funny that more Aurors didn't appear during the attack to fight. Surely one of the teachers or present Aurors could have called for back-up or something? Or maybe help was on its way, but was simply late in getting there? Bad timing, perhaps?
Actually, the whole thing reminds me of a something my mum likes to say sometimes..."The worst things happen at the worst times."
I agree. I'm sure no one expected Death Eaters to be able to enter the school from the inside, even Dumbledore was surprised that they had entered that way. As for the additional auror protection, we didn't seem to hear too much about it during the book, except for when Harry runs into Tonks by the Room of Requirement. I just assumed that maybe the protection consisted of aurors checking in on the school periodically, and maybe Tonks was there a little more because of her business in the Order.

Old June 8th, 2007, 2:19 am
First Year

I doubt the aurors were there periodically as i think they were also there to watch Dumbledore. I believe it is mentioned that Dumbledore had to hex Dwalish to stop him from following him.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives