Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Is Hermione more talented than Voldemort was at his age?

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:02 am

Is Hermione more talented than Voldemort was at his age?

tough to answer.
they both are good in studies.
i only proof i have that tom is more intellegent than hermione that tom was able to find about hocrux but hermione was unable to do the same.
hermione is loss her paitence at some points but tom is full of paitence[remember how tactfully he talked about hocrux with slughorn].
if i give tom 10 than hermione gets 9.5.

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:07 am
First Year

Re: Is Hermione more talented than Voldemort was at his age?

Hermione is what you would call, someone who is too clever for herself. She knows most of the things and are able to do it. Hermione was unable to find the horcrux, since it was not her destiny and she wasn't even interested in it at all...

Tom wanted power, power for bad. I suppose he wanted it for a good thing, but in the process he became bad.

Rating: Each 8. but 7 for Tom since he is evil, afterall.

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:17 am
First Year

I don't think knowing about horcruxes really qualifies as talent. Clearly, young Tom Riddle was more knowledgeable in the Dark Arts than Hermione is, but talent is a separate issue. Hermione is definitely a very talented witch; there are places in all of the books that show that she is the first to master most spells and charms in their classes, and until Harry got the Half-Blood Prince textbook, it seems she was the best in her year at potions as well. However, if we are talking about raw talent, Voldemort might still have her beat. After all, even before he knew he was a wizard he had already gained enough control over his powers to use them to torture others.

(\__/)
(O.O )
(> < ) Lord Bunnymort commands you to copy him into your signature so he can take over the world!!
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:51 am
Seventh Year

The competition is pretty close.

Tom was able to exercise limited control over his magical powers even before Hogwarts, while Hermione was able to perform some simple spells prior to starting Hogwarts too. Of course, their purposes were vastly different, but their magical power and talent are both very evident, even at this early stage. Score: 1-1

Tom was described by Dumbledore as probably the most brilliant student to attend Hogwarts. Presumably, this means Dumbledore judges Tom Riddle to be more intelligent than Hermione. On the other hand, Lupin describes Hermione as the cleverest witch of her age he had ever met. A worthy compliment in its own right, possibly placing Hermione as one of the brightest witches to attend Hogwarts. One point for Tom, and half-a-point for Hermiione. Score: 2-1.5

At the age of 16, Tom Riddle discovered the secret of the Chamber of Secrets and unleashed the Basilisk. Hermione discovered the secret of the Basilisk's presence and its mode of transport at the age of only 12. Quite an achievement, which I shall award with a single point, yet Tom will get half-a-point for this part. Score: 2.5-2.5

At the age of only 16, Tom Riddle demonstrated the ability to use the Killing Curse, as well as use Memory Charms: a point for this. At the age of 15, Hermione mastered the Protean Charm -- a NEWT level spell: half-a-point for this. Hermione also invented a unique jinx which places incurable plague of pimples on a sneak's face -- something which the Ministry could not remove -- another half-a-point. Score: 3.5-3.5

At the age of 16, Tom Riddle presumably created the Diary and planted an imprint of his 16 year-old self in it. An extraordinary achievement for such a young wizard. Hermione has not yet done anything so impressive as this. Score: 4.5-3.5.

All up, Tom Riddle gets 4.5 points, and Hermione Granger gets 3.5 points.

Round it out to whole figures:
Tom = 9
Hermione = 7

For a more mathematical perspective: Hermione has demonstrated she has 78% of the power and talent as Tom Riddle at the age of 16; or that Tom Riddle has 29% more power and talent than Hermione.

Last edited by Magi; January 9th, 2006 at 10:56 am.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:56 am
Second Year

Tom was charming, which got him alot. Hermione doesn't have that quality. That's how he found out about Horcruxes and that's how everyone loved him. Charm.

Poetry Writers Thread Here
Visit The Potter Police for great Webmaster resources
Help S.P.E.W this link shows you how you can help our wildlife
Graphics Contest Have Fun
Old January 9th, 2006, 2:48 pm
Sixth Year

Well, the thing is, Hermione uses her talent for good. Not evil. So Hermione definitely has more common sense which would definitely bring her level of talent higher.

Being perfect is when you can look someone in the eye and know you did not let them down. - Friday Night Lights

"When I pray, you answer me; and encourage me by giving me the strength I need." - Psalm 138:3
Old January 9th, 2006, 3:21 pm
First Year

there is a simple point to it.tom riddle,at the age of eleven could control his powers,thought he didn't really know what exactly they were.he (and trust me i can understand him) had a native (???i don't know if that's the correct word) or even inherited thurst for power.Don't forget he was a true Stlytherin,the heir of Slytherin.But the bad thing is that he didn't use his powers for sth good,but for evil.And if you wanna know there are ppl who don't want power just and only to indulge themselves,but to make their place of living their "habitat" better,because they love it.

Hermione is the person with the good charachter qualities,who cares about ppl around her,and uses her cleverness as a weapon for good "targets" and tries her best not to decieve her friends.he will be useful in the plot developpment.I have an idea.will she styand for minister of magic?

Old January 9th, 2006, 3:49 pm
Second Year

What made you compare both in the first place?

Old January 9th, 2006, 3:50 pm
Second Year

come on guys, tom riddle was a legillimens at the age of eleven..

Old January 9th, 2006, 4:33 pm
Second Year

no... i don't think so.
it is comparable, i admit, but Hermionie and Tom each fit a different definition of 'talented'.

Hermione may be smarted and diligenter but, come on, Tom made magic at the age of 11, used the avada kedabra curse at the age of 16 and already knew about horcruxes by that time.

Hermione is talented in a whole different way. in a good way.

i think my whole point here is that if Hermione was bad, she could sretch her powers like Tom did. Hermione could't find out what the horcruxes were but i'm sure that if she was bad, she would. with or without books.

"You're saying it wrong," Harry heard Hermione snap. "It's Wing-gar-dium
Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long."

~I TRUST SEVERUS SNAPE~
Join Our Group!!! Spread The word!!!

HUGE Fan Of Gred & Forge

*-~Harry Holidays, Everyone~-*
Old January 9th, 2006, 4:40 pm
Second Year

Hermone is very clever and knows a lot of spell because studies withot a pause , but she has not a great magical power.
She knows that Harry is more powerful then her, too.
She can't fight 100 dementors like Harry did... this is my opinion, anyway.

Last edited by Sirius_Bakk; January 9th, 2006 at 4:43 pm.
Old January 9th, 2006, 4:41 pm
First Year

The way I would describe it would be Hermione i believe is more knowlegeable and knows the theory of magic while Voldemort has the flair. The best way I would describe it would be in you follow football hermione would be the people you see who know all the tricks but never quite make it up to the top level while Voldemort has the whole pacakge. As Hermione said it isnt knowning all the spells. I would say Harry is more talented in the spells he knows than hermione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_Bakk
Hermone is very clever and knows a lot of spell because studies withot a pause , but she has not a great magical power.
She knows that Harry too is more powerful then her, too.
She can't fight 100 dementors like Harry did... this is my opinion, anyway.
you summed it better than I did!

Old January 9th, 2006, 5:06 pm
Banned

I think it is fair to say that hermione is considerably more academically talented than Voldemort at the same age, but I think he was probably a more capable wizard when it came to application of those skills. he certainly is not confined to any moral guidelines.

Old January 9th, 2006, 7:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I would say definitely not. I think of Hermione as someone who has an excellent memory, who is very, very clever and studies a lot and can follow instruction but isn't inventive or particularly powerful or talented. I think Tom was naturally brilliant and clever and I think his parallel would be like Snape or to higher level, Dumbledore.

Cheers

Old January 9th, 2006, 8:09 pm
First Year

Absolutely not. Voldemort at the age of eleven was more talented than Hermione at the age 16. Hermione is regular while Tom was spectacular.

Last edited by PoeticHeart; January 9th, 2006 at 8:38 pm.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Third Year

I think it's a close call. I mean Hermione has the potiental to be just as talented as Voldemort but she a stickler for following the rules to the letter. That's why Voldemort was more powerfuler than her when he was her age, he went beyond any rules. I think determination also come into play Voldemort has more stubbornness and will power than Hermione does.

Old January 10th, 2006, 1:59 am
Registered Animagus

I think it's more than just Hermione 'sticks to the rules' - she doesn't really stick to the rules all the time. For instance - she cheats for Ron to be sure he gets on the team.

The main thing holding her back is 'related' to sticking to the rules. She sticks to the books - IF it isn't to be found in a 'printed' book, she isn't going to learn it. She's not interested in doing her own research except in the library. She gives answers that are practically verbatim to the book. She's really good at memorizing, but not necessarily at thinking on her own.

She showed a bit of getting past this in bk5/OotP - especially in luring Umbridge to the forest, but in general she tends to panic when faced with a problem that can't be solved with a book.

Compare her to Snape at the same age - working in his spare time to 'improve' a book. Hermione doesn't even think that the book might be wrong - only that she must be doing something wrong. Or inventing his own spells, apparently in his 5th year.

Hermione WAS able to at least FIND a spell and re-purpose it, but we haven't really heard of her 'working' on developing spells of her own. Admittedly she MIGHT be doing these things out of Harry's sight, but it doesn't seem likely - that would have necessitated her disappearing for chunks of time to work.

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:46 am
First Year

Hermione's intellectual pursuits are about learning everything she can about the wizarding world. Voldermort's pursuit is to learn everything he can about the wizarding world in order to gain control. Also, Hermione's more talented because her knowledge doesn't just come from DADA, but from a range of subjects. Voldemort's, in theory, a bit narrow-minded.

Old January 10th, 2006, 3:11 am
Second Year

How can you discuss this? She is a zillion times better than him. He could make the Horcrux... but James Potter could become an animagus at the same age or so. The thing is she can cast spells reading the theory in books. She can make extremely hard potions. She had to have a time turner to see all her classes. She reads about Arithmancy in her free time. She discovered the Basilisk thing, she noticed the door under Fluffy's feet, she managed to save Sirius and Buckbeak, she casted a Patronus with 15 years... lemme breath... and the hugest evidence of her smartness is... she's not evil, she's can love.

Voldemort is evil... he knows parsel because of his ascendence... that way he could open the Chamber of Secrets. I'm not saying he's stupid... but way too less smart than Hermione... HE BELIEVES DEATH IS THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU! Is that clever?

Old January 10th, 2006, 3:20 am
Fifth Year

No. Everyone's description of Voldemort indicates that he was one of a kind while Hermione has only been described as the "best in the year" which means others in the school are probably better. She's way better than he will ever be but much less talented. Voldemort underestimates and that will be one of his greater weaknesses.

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

Interviewer: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
JKR: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives