Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Is Hermione more talented than Voldemort was at his age?

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:24 am
Second Year

Re: Is Hermione more talented than Voldemort was at his age?

Hwemione IS one of a kind. Outside the school people keep telling her she is!

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:28 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraliah

Rating: Each 8. but 7 for Tom since he is evil, afterall.
GeeWhizz, if hermione is that smart and you're only giving her an 8, id hate to see what you have to do to get a 10 in your book!! Must be hard to please.

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:30 am
Second Year

From 1 to 10? Hermione gets 11 and Tom 10.

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:35 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_Bakk
Hermone is very clever and knows a lot of spell because studies withot a pause , but she has not a great magical power.
She knows that Harry is more powerful then her, too.
She can't fight 100 dementors like Harry did... this is my opinion, anyway.
I have to completely agree with you. Hermione learned everything from a book. Her talent is because of things she looked for. Tom Riddle was an amazing 11 year old. He didn't even act 11, he had skills at 11 most wizards never have. Hermione had to read and study for hers. It's no comparison. Tom Riddle all the way.

He has given her so much but the thing she loves most is that he gives her a life. A life worth living. So long before now she did not know how to live. A Complete Life

His voice dropped to a whisper even though they were alone, “An accident?” He looked away then looked back shaking his head, his gray eyes fogging with coldness. “You don’t kiss someone by accident." In an Instant

You were supposed to be here. Not off with another woman, living the superb life that we were supposed to live. We were meant to be together forever Harry. Wrong Again
Old January 10th, 2006, 2:42 am
Second Year

...who's seen her running away from dementors? I have certainly not... In PoA she saw'em trying to kiss Sirius and Harry and he casted his Patronus... she didn't know how to, but even if she did Harry was waiting to see his father... so it doesn't count as canon.

People, how do you know all those things about Tom's school years? We know Hermione studies a lot and learns everything from a book... but tell me it's not AMAZING-GREAT-UNBELIEVEABLE that a teenage witch can cast spells reading the theory in books without having any practical teaching like she does. Besides, we don't know if Tom wasn't reading books all the day... we just know he was veeery clever, but Hermione's too and she always knows every single question in class (because she read about it before)... couldn't Tom done the same?

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:46 am
Fourth Year

do i really care? voldemort if you count killing as being talented. but i'd be happier to say Hermione.

Old January 10th, 2006, 3:03 am
Second Year

I dont think we can compare their knowledge with one another because they both didnt excelled in the same topic. True he was a good student and very smart but he excelled in the dark arts, and Hermine is good in all things, though I dont think she has one subject she does superb in.

Old January 10th, 2006, 3:37 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectusempra
...who's seen her running away from dementors? I have certainly not... In PoA she saw'em trying to kiss Sirius and Harry and he casted his Patronus... she didn't know how to, but even if she did Harry was waiting to see his father... so it doesn't count as canon.
Hmm. That sounds like the movie. In the books it actually went like this:

PoA, Ch 20, The Dementor's Kiss"Expecto patronum! Hermione, help me! Expecto patronum!"
"Expecto --" Hermione whispered, "expecto -- expecto --"
But she couldn't do it. The dementors were closing in, barely ten feet from them. They formed a solid wall around Harry and Hermione, and were getting closer ...
"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" Harry yelled, trying to blot out the screaming from his ears. "EXPECTO PATRONUM!"
A thin wisp of silver escaped his wand and hovered like mist before him. At the same moment, Harry felt Hermione collapse next to him. He was alone...completely alone...

And if you're talking about after the time turner sequence, then Hermione wasn't there at all, only Harry went to see if it was his father in the books.

However, I do agree with your main point because even though Hermione reads a lot apparently she has not read up on how to overcome a dementor so she has not had time to practice as Harry had. I've never seen Hermione be particularly powerful so it is possible that she still wouldn't be able to do it but we cannot be sure.

Cheers

Old January 10th, 2006, 4:28 am
Zonko's Employee

Hermione is the type of person who confines herself to books and memorizes everything by heart and doesn't resort to creating anything imaginative. Considering that she's so bright and intelligent, she doesn't utilize her abilities to their fullest extent the way Riddle did, like trying to make a new a spell or creating a magical object like the diary Riddle owned etc. But she does put her knowledge to good use when she helps Harry and Ron starting from small, everyday things like homework to life threatening situations.

But the fact remains that Hermione is bookish smart whereas Riddle, who was capable of controlling his powers even before he joined school, had accomplished unfathomable levels of magic starting from the age of 16 and has the reputation as the most brilliant wizard in Hogwarts, not to mention he has that irresistable charm which gets things done as opposed to Hermione, who is tactless with even the smallest of things and panics and freezes up when things get moving. Therefore it's safe to say that Riddle was definitely way more powerful than Hermione during that age.

Dance Pretty
Old January 10th, 2006, 5:34 pm
Second Year

Tom Riddle was more powerful, but best at school too: he had the best vote in any subject, while Hermione has only EE in D.a.t.Dark Arts.

Old January 10th, 2006, 9:42 pm
Second Year

Okay, we see it all the time in movies and books. Evil is usually more powerful. That's only because good confines itself to a set of morals. So it really depends on how you look at it. Tom could be the stronger because he didn't limit himself. Then again, Hermione could be seen as the stronger because she's as powerful and smart as she is while staying out of the dark arts. I would definitely say HERMIONE wins.

Old January 10th, 2006, 9:59 pm
Second Year

No, I don't hink so. I think Tom Rddle was more of a natural talent whereas Hermoine has to study a lot or her knowledge. So I don't think she is more talented to begin with. Which doesn't imply that sh doesn't have thwe same knowledge and power as To had.

Pippi loves MuggleCast, too!
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:05 pm
First Year

I think that Hermione was smarter on the way that she was well informed about the magical world, and ws good at remembering things, even though she was muggle-born, but Tom was more powerful when it came to dark spells and he was just brilliant since he was a little kid.

Last edited by lunita; January 10th, 2006 at 10:08 pm.
Old January 11th, 2006, 2:21 am
Third Year

At age 11 Tom Riddle was already a very gifted wizard, Hermoine was just getting her feet wet. In their next 5 years at school Hermoine had to study hard everyday and night and practice just as hard, where as for Tom it came naturally to him, and I think it is very obvious that he was more talented because it's in his blood.

Old January 11th, 2006, 2:54 pm
Registered Animagus

Even before Albus came to the orphanage, Tom knew there was something special about himself. He was compelled to test the limits of his new found power over the other orphans. So he pushed the envelope ... tried to see how far he could go. It seems he came a long way without any formal training.

Hermione, on the other hand, probably didn't realize there was anything very special about herself, other than that she was always at the head of her class at school (an assumption, but I think a fair one).

At the point where they found out they were magical, I think Tom was way ahead of Hermione as far as the development of his abilities. Even at the completion of their sixth year, Tom and Hermione may be equally talented, but only one has developed and expanded his talents far beyond the norm of a sixth year.

I don't think it has anything to do with talent. I think Hermione may be equally as talented as Tom at the same age. She has the ability to learn as many spells and cast them as effectively as Tom did. She just had no reason to learn A-K or the other dark spells Tom used. If she did have reason, I'm sure she would do just as well, just as quickly as Tom. The two examples that come to mind as posted by others are the Protean Charm and the Sneak curse.

I vote them equally talented.

Old January 11th, 2006, 3:12 pm
Fifth Year

They have a different kind of talent.
Hermione is what here in France we call an intellectual. She's a fast learner, fast thinker logical, smart girl. I think that on the level of pure theorical knowledge, she outpasses Tom Riddle at her age.
But Tom Riddle at 17 was I think more powerful in magical terms, if you can quantify this.
In others words, she's smarter, he's more magically powerful.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 9:08 pm
Second Year

I agree, they have different talents.
First, Hermione. She is smart. Reads books about once, and memorizes them. She is great in her classes, and studies well.
Second, Tom. He has actual power, creating different spells, using more spells, controlling his powers, etc.
It all concludes to this: Hermione is smart and cunning, but Tom Riddle does have more magical power.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 9:36 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Ravenclaw
They have a different kind of talent.
Agreed, I believe Hermione and Riddle are both equally talented in different ways. Hermione is excellent at assimiliating information based on reading books- she shows that she is able to translate material she has read into practical skill. On the other hand, it seems Tom had more of an innate talent, as he showed himself capable of performing pretty controlled magic before age 11. Tom also obviously has an aptitude for Dark Magic, while I would argue that Hermione has a great aptitude (and appreciation) for logic and cleverness. I don't think we can just directly compare the kinds of spells each were able to perform in order to see who is more talented, because I think there's more to talent than that.

So in the end, I'd say both Hermione and Riddle are very talented in their own right. I also would have to say that even if we consider Riddle more talented than Hermione, I don't believe this is at all important. After all, it is one's choices that define who a person is rather than their abilities.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:50 pm
Second Year

When talking about sheer talent, disregarding the choices that the two of them have made, I would have to say that Tom is more talented than Hermione, hands-down. Don't hate me. I love the girl but Tom is simply a one of a kind, in my opinion.

Hermione is smart. She reads books and soaks them up like a sponge. She is an intellectual. She is clever and is able to analyze situations.

However, Tom is this and more. He was doing great things by the time he was a first year. He was the head of his class, which means that he beat out Ravenclaws for the job and wouldn't you expect a Ravenclaw to take that honor? He opened the Chamber of Secrets. He made a diary that would be able to drain the power of another person and then regenerate a part of his soul. All this and he was still only in his sixth year. What he was accomplishing at such a young age is what I think makes him more talented than Hermione. In fact, I do kind of think it's unfair to compare Hermione to him. Hermione is far above average but Tom Riddle is one of the most powerful wizards in the world.

Tom Riddle has been compared to Albus Dumbledore, for crying out loud! Can we say the same for Hermione?

If anything, we should be looking at Harry Potter.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:58 pm
Banned

Hermione makes her own success. Tom was naturally gifted.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives