Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Did RAB Destroy More Horcruxes?

Old May 21st, 2006, 7:14 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Re: Did RAB Destroy More Horcruxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Godric
I have to say you got me there! R.A.B. did read the note, and did not act as if he would die from the potion, he sounded as if he would die from Death Eaters, which would not ultimately be the result of the potion, so I do not think he drank the potion. So I guess I will admit defeat...
That was kind of my thinking as well. At the moment, we don't know exactly what that potion was but it did weaken Dumbledore considerably. I'm inclined to think it was some sort of slow-acting poison. But then I think about what Dumbledore said - how Voldemort would want to keep whoever found one of his Horcruxes alive long enough to discover how they found it. So I wonder if it was just something debillitating - not necessarily lethal. I go back and forth on it.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2006, 7:39 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971
That was kind of my thinking as well. At the moment, we don't know exactly what that potion was but it did weaken Dumbledore considerably. I'm inclined to think it was some sort of slow-acting poison. But then I think about what Dumbledore said - how Voldemort would want to keep whoever found one of his Horcruxes alive long enough to discover how they found it. So I wonder if it was just something debillitating - not necessarily lethal. I go back and forth on it.
Yes, I do to, because how long after Dumvledore drank the potion did he actually die? And as far as we know he did not die from the potion, he died from the Avada Kedavra spell. Dumbledore himself did say that Voldemort would not want to kill the person, because he would want to know how they broke through his barriers. How long would it take him to find out a horcrux was missing?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 7:59 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Godric
Yes, I do to, because how long after Dumvledore drank the potion did he actually die? And as far as we know he did not die from the potion, he died from the Avada Kedavra spell. Dumbledore himself did say that Voldemort would not want to kill the person, because he would want to know how they broke through his barriers. How long would it take him to find out a horcrux was missing?
I wondered about that as well. And then I thought about the Inferi - what exactly are they supposed to do? If Dumbledore is right - and Jo says that he's never far off the mark - then Voldemort would want anyone who got that far to stay alive long enough for him to find out how they discovered that he had a Horcrux, how they found out what/where it was - and so on.

So, I wonder if the Inferi in the cave had instructions to bring anyone who attempted to take the Horcrux to Voldemort. I'm going back and forth on this as well because the Inferi don't appear to be intelligent - when beaten they just retreat back into the water. However, Voldemort underestimated people in general - assuming that only someone really powerful could do it - assuming that only one person would attempt it. By that logic, there would only be one person who would be considerably weakened by the potion and the Inferi would come out and take that person to Voldemort. Two people doing it throws the whole thing out of whack and it backfires because the second person is not weakened and can fight the Inferi off with fire - sending them back into the water.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:02 pm
First Year

I do not think that RAB destroyed more horcruxes. From the look of things it seemed like RAB was going to die. But what was he going to die from? That is the true question. Is he dead or not?

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:07 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikun
I do not think that RAB destroyed more horcruxes. From the look of things it seemed like RAB was going to die. But what was he going to die from? That is the true question. Is he dead or not?
like i said he definately died from the horcrux and knew of it. he sacrificed himself knowing and writing in the letter that he wud be dead soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikun
like i said he definately died from the horcrux and knew of it. he sacrificed himself knowing and writing in the letter that he wud be dead soon

Old August 20th, 2006, 5:41 am
Curse Breaker

Can we answer that question before we can determine whether or not RAB knew that Voldemort had made more than one horcrux?

Both Dumbledore and Voldemort ("I who have gone further than anyone") were of the mind that no wizard other than Voldemort had ever made more than one horcrux.

RAB's note implies that he thinks there's only one as well. Did he not say that he (RAB) had stolen the real horcrux & would destroy it, and his hope was that even though he (RAB) would be dead soon, that it was his hope that Voldemort would be mortal again when his match came along? Notice he says "the real horcrux", not "the last horcrux" or "the first horcrux". This to me says he thought there was only one made.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old August 20th, 2006, 6:25 am
Curse Breaker

RAB's letter states that he/she hopes that Voldemort will be mortal when he finally meets his match. Well, that is very nice: except that if RAB had realized that Voldemort could create another Horcrux, then it would have been a hollow taunt as RAB would have expected Voldemort to make another Horcrux upon learning that "the" Horcrux was destroyed.

Thus, it almost necessarily follows from the very letter itself that RAB did not think that Voldemort could make a second Horcrux. Given what a radical idea this was, and given how esoteric knowlege of Horcruxes clearly is, this is not surprising. So, HedwigOwl and other's argument really can be taken a step further: logically, it follows from the conclusion of the letter that the letter writer did not think that a Horcrux could be replaced.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old January 10th, 2007, 2:30 am
Fifth Year

We don't know if he destroyed it, only that he took it. Or did destroying it cause his death?

Old January 10th, 2007, 8:09 am
Fourth Year

The note gives the impression that RAB believed that there was only one horcrux and that by destroying it, Voldemort would become mortal.

If RAB did indeed destroy or track more than one horcrux, wouldn't he have worded the note differently?

Old January 10th, 2007, 10:30 am
Zonko's Employee

Why don't we just make this a simple poll question.

Seems like there is canon to show that RAB knew about only one horcrux. In his note it says.

"the real horcrux" which is singular. " you will be mortal once more" as someone above me said, if RAB believed that there were others, this would have been an empty taunt.

Old January 11th, 2007, 8:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysfriend View Post
We don't know if he destroyed it, only that he took it. Or did destroying it cause his death?
I agree that he only took it, and probably died from the poison before it could be destroyed. Remember that locket back at #12 that they were unable to open . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old January 11th, 2007, 9:24 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

I don't think he ever knew there were more - in the note he says "the horcrux" (if I'm not mistaken), and even Dumbledore was new to the idea of anyone creating more than one horcrux.

I don't think the Dark Lord knew one of his horcruxes was destroyed. I believe he remains oblivious to this day.

Old January 11th, 2007, 1:03 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

No he didn't destroy more horcruxes. Otherwise DH would be a very small, very boring book.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old January 12th, 2007, 4:07 am
First Year

I'm not so sure, being that all the Horcruxes are well guarded (even Dumbledore suffered an injury from one). R.A.B. could most likely only got to the locket, and like dobbysfriend said, we don't know if he destroyed it.

Old January 12th, 2007, 5:24 am
Third Year

I doubt he managed to find more than one, he may have had suspicions concerning the location of one apart from the locket, but I don't believe he ever actually set out to find them if so. I think there's more to finding the Horcruxes,and that not anybody can do it. I doubt R.A.B (ASSUMING HE IS REGULUS BLACK) could have set out and succeeded that much. It seems to me that the only person who will, indeed really and truly find and destroy more than one will be Harry, apart from Dumbledore that is, and they're both very closely bonded with Voldemort. Harry is the chosen one, and Dumbledore is the only one he ever feared.

Old January 12th, 2007, 9:17 pm
Zonko's Employee

Not to jump in cold, but as far as I know, RAB hadn't destroyed any Horcruxes. The locket was stolen and a fake put in it's place. Jo hinted that the careful reader would know the location of at least one Horcrux, and I believe it was the locket form Grimmuald place.

However, nothing I've seen suggests that RAB (I believe, Regulus) ever did destroy a Horcrux- just that he stole one.

Old January 13th, 2007, 3:15 am
Second Year

Yes, not only is there no textual evidence to show RAB destroyed more Horcruxes, but I HOPE he didn't, because I really want Harry to do all the Horcrux destroying. The tale would lose its luster if RAB ends up having destroyed all the Horcruxes and doing Harry's work for him. And if someone other than Harry did destroy a Horcrux, I hope its a character that JKR has built up throught the course of the series; I would much rather have Snape destroy or help destroy 1 or 2 Horcruxes than find out RAB did it a long time ago.

I realize now that my response starts with yes, which was a mistake because the thread title asks if RAB destroyed more Horcruxes. I DON'T think he destroyed more Horcruxes.

Old March 7th, 2007, 1:06 pm
Student

I agree. It would be kind of boring if we find out that RAB had destroyed all the other horacruxes.

Old March 7th, 2007, 6:12 pm
Curse Breaker

I think this is a simple one to answer. He stole one, but didn't destroy it. He didn't know there were more out there because neither he nor anyone else had ever heard of a wizard splitting his soul with this method more than once.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old March 10th, 2007, 8:43 pm
Second Year

Hi. Maybe R.A.B destroyed 2 or 3 more horcruxes, but not all the left horcruxes.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives