Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Dumbledore, a Parselmouth?

Old March 22nd, 2006, 5:16 pm
Second Year

Re: Dumbledore, a Parselmouth?

Dumbledore is not related to Salazar Slytheirin and was put in Griffindor instead of Slytheirin.

Although maybe he's able to understand it but how would he since parselmouths are rare and would have to be taught by one

Old March 22nd, 2006, 5:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrificialove
Possibly, Dumbles would know, or at least understand, parseltounge. As the greatest wizard of all time, if he wasn't born a parselmouth, he might have studied the language. Remember, he speaks Mermish too. And troll
I would go along with this. I think Tom was right, he and Slytherin were the only two Parseltongues, but Dumbledore appears to have an affinity for language, and probably learned to understand it.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 8:00 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

If Dumbledore could speak and understand Parceltongue why wouldn't he have heard Slytherin's Monster when Tom opened the Chamber? If a couple a 12 year olds could guess that it was a snake and the Chamber entrance was in the girl's bathroom, surely Dumbledore could have. I think Dumbledore got the gist of what the Gaunts where saying by reading body language and hearing Odgen speak.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 8:14 pm
Second Year

I never got the impression that Dumbledore was a Parseltoungue. Obviously he would have known when he heard the memory that the hissing was parseltoungue, but I don't think he understood it. I think he used his intelligence and logic to figure out what was being said.

Image created by Anyanka
Old March 22nd, 2006, 9:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77
If Dumbledore could speak and understand Parceltongue why wouldn't he have heard Slytherin's Monster when Tom opened the Chamber? If a couple a 12 year olds could guess that it was a snake and the Chamber entrance was in the girl's bathroom, surely Dumbledore could have.
Part of me wants to agree with you, and yet the other part of me points out that Dumbledore had let Harry face Voldemort the year before as well.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:14 pm
First Year

This is tough. Dumbledore was the greatest wizard of his time and proved he could speak a number of languages, the most odd being Mermish in GoF. I'm sure Dumbledore could make out some of the things being said by the Gaunts but i agree that it was unlikely that he was a Parselmouth.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:14 pm
Third Year

This was being discussed in another thread somewhere, it did make me pretty curious. As for the first memory, I feel he probably deduced what was going on. The one with Riddle and Morfin, however...that's a bit trickier. My thought was that when he extracted the memory from Morfin he was somehow able to know what was being said...maybe he had Morfin translate it for him, and then double checked what he found in the first memory as well? I don't know, this really is a head scratcher.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:51 pm
First Year

*if* you can learn parseltongue then I wouldn't put it past Dumbledore to have learned enough to understand it (especially for the memories)

*if* parseltongue is NOT something you can learn, then Dumbledore is just a very intelligent man who used his senses and resources to understand what happened.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 7:38 am
Third Year

I think if you replay the memory you can actually get the jist of it but there is no proof od Dumby-a-dore being a parselmouth

Potty Maths

Cho+Malfoy=
Ron+Hermione=
Me+Ceddie=

g_i_n_n_y
Old March 23rd, 2006, 8:50 am
Third Year

I believe Dumbledore can speak parsletounge even if he isn't a parslemouth.
Dumbledore is a student of human behavior.
Dumbledore had to understand the memories in order to know the relevance to Harry and the horcruxes.

WATCHOUT VOLDEMORT DUMBLEDORE IS BEHIND YOU!!!!

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:50 am
Fourth Year

Harry's a parselmouth by accident. I think Voldy is the only real parselmouth left - the only true heir of Slytherin. It doesn't really make sense that Dumbldedore could speak it. Like it was said earlier, he would have heard the snake moving around the castle like Harry did.

I wonder if Harry's children would be parselmouths too?

SPLISH SPLASH HARRY'S TAKING' A BATH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you doing, Potter?" said Snape coldly as ever, as he strode over to the four of them.
"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy, sir," said Harry fiercely.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 2:09 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul
Part of me wants to agree with you, and yet the other part of me points out that Dumbledore had let Harry face Voldemort the year before as well.
What I mean is that if Dumbledore could understand Parseltongue, why wouldn't he have figured that it was a snake 50 years ago when Riddle was at Hogwarts? I didn't make myself clear. Unless, he learned Parseltongue in the years before Harry got to Hogwarts. But, Dumbledore seemed really concerned when the Chamber was opened again, it didn't seem like he could hear the snake.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 3:08 pm
Third Year

I think that Dumbledore knew that it was a basilisk he just didn't know of the whereabouts of th CoS>

Old March 23rd, 2006, 9:55 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_DA
I think that Dumbledore knew that it was a basilisk he just didn't know of the whereabouts of th CoS>
If Dumbledore had known it was a Basilisk, he would have advised all the students to carry mirrors

And no way would Dumbledore risk the lives of other students just because he wanted to give Harry a chance to face Voldemort. Especially, since a student died before. The Philosopher's stone was different, there was no direct threat to the students at the moment.

And yeah, I think the Parselmouth tongue can only be inherited as a gift, it can't be learnt.

Old April 4th, 2006, 1:13 pm
First Year

I think Dumbledore was not a parseltounge. He did not hear the basilisk in Chamber and when Tom Riddle was a student. If Dumbledore understood parseltounge he should have told Harry how to tell the difference between English and parseltounge.

Dumbledore partially understands the memory from House of Gaunt and uses deduction for the rest. When Tom Riddle comes to the Gaunt house Dumbledore must have read Tom Riddle's face. Tom Riddle expected Merope's family to be this great Slytherin family. Instead her family turns out to be insignificant and trash. Dumbledore must have seen the disappointment and anger on his face.

Old April 4th, 2006, 1:25 pm
First Year

I don't think he was a Parselmouth, partly because it what makes Harry connection to Voldy even more unique. Also, just because he is not a Parselmoth does not mean he can't recognize it when he hears it. Just as people can recognize what a language other than their native is even if they don't speak it. And He does mention that Harry understands what they are saying, but does not say he knows himself.

Old April 4th, 2006, 4:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBadger
This begs the question: can you learn to understand Parseltongue? I highly doubt it. Parselmouths are born, not made I believe.
Hmmm... I think it's possible. Maybe it's not possible to learn to speak parseltongue, that you must be born with it, that there is no way you can learn to make the right sounds.

But perhaps for a non-parsel tongue, they can learn to understand what the different hisses mean.

If harry speaks to a snake, or a parseltongue, he hears english, and only after a while realizes there is a hissing in the background.

Now perhaps Dumbledore can never learn to to hear english if a parseltongue or snake is talking, but he has learned what the different hisses mean. After all, he understands the shrieking sounds of mermish, lol.

Old April 4th, 2006, 7:19 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTheMarauder
This is tough. Dumbledore was the greatest wizard of his time and proved he could speak a number of languages, the most odd being Mermish in GoF. I'm sure Dumbledore could make out some of the things being said by the Gaunts but i agree that it was unlikely that he was a Parselmouth.
Agreed. Parselmouth being a natural ability to speak to animals doesn't mean someone can't learn to understand it.
As far as why he didn't hear the basilisk before is simple. Tom Riddle only let the monster out once when it killed Myrtle. It's not like the snake was traveling a great distance from the entrance of the chamber.

Old April 4th, 2006, 7:53 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelpagan
Agreed. Parselmouth being a natural ability to speak to animals doesn't mean someone can't learn to understand it.
As far as why he didn't hear the basilisk before is simple. Tom Riddle only let the monster out once when it killed Myrtle. It's not like the snake was traveling a great distance from the entrance of the chamber.
Actually, there were numerous attacks on students during that time period. Myrtle was just the only death that occurred and the last attack. The previous ones had just resulted in injuries.

Old April 4th, 2006, 8:20 pm
First Year

i dont think Dumbledore could speak parseltongue. i think that the important part of the memory was to see merope and basically the type of family Voldemort was born into. the fact they spoke parseltongue was only significant b/c is showed where Voldemort got the same ability. and ya maybe Dumbledore could deduce what was being said....

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives