Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

Old February 27th, 2007, 3:06 pm
First Year

The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

I was just wondering how come the Potters were so rich?

It seems quite clear that James was an only child and that both sets of parents are dead or Harry would have gone to his grandparents.

Lily's family were muggles obviously and so any money they left behind would have been muggle money and split two ways anyway. James's family could have been well off and left it to him.

The house they were living in at the time of their death was a safe house so did they have another which was sold and the money given to Harry?

It would appear that Dumbledore was the executor of their estate as he had Harry's key for the vault at Gringotts, how long ago had they given this to him?

What did they do for a living, there is no mention (that I am aware of, although I am not infalliable!!) of what they both did?

I ask this cos it has always puzzled me and i think it is important as I think there is an interesting split between the rich Harry arriving at Hogwarts with new everything and Tom Riddle arriving on scholarship with second hand books and robes.

Is money an imprortant theme in Harry Potter do you think or are distinctions of class in the books made more through pure blood/half blood/muggle born status??!!!

Last edited by Nicole; May 27th, 2007 at 6:34 pm. Reason: removed 'note to mods'
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 3:27 pm
First Year

Re: The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

I have always wondered this myself. Did they work at Gringotts? Maybe high level Ministry jobs? Did James come from a wealthy family? I always thought it was strange that is was left out. Jo likes to let a story unfold pretty slowly, and I feel this is one of the many things that will be answered.
As for class distinction in the HP books. I feel it is something Jo is sensitive to. Harry is only rich the Wizarding world. The Durselys practically starved him as a child. Despite discovering he had wealth Harry is unspoiled and grateful. I think Jo is very mindful about the lessons of judging people based on a caste system.

Old February 27th, 2007, 3:34 pm
First Year

I wondered about that too, in terms of were they at the ministry, but if they had to go into a safe house then they would surely have had to give up on thier jobs as well?

They must have had some kind of job that made them of use to the order as most of them do...

Old February 27th, 2007, 3:38 pm
First Year

Maybe they had some kind of magic life insurance policy that paid out...very well?

Here's to the sanest person in the wizarding world
Old February 27th, 2007, 3:53 pm
First Year

LOL what kind of dumb insurance company would set up business with LV around??

Old February 27th, 2007, 4:15 pm
First Year

MAybe they were Aurors?

Old February 27th, 2007, 4:52 pm
First Year

they could have been but I think that if they were then when Harry says he wants to be one then surely Lupin or Sirius or McGonagall or SOMEONE would have told him? People seemt o love telling Harry whenever he does anything that reminds people of his parents

Old February 27th, 2007, 4:58 pm
Sixth Year

Well the money had been sitting in that vault for eleven years before Harry started using it, naturally he got a ****load of interest.

Old February 27th, 2007, 5:38 pm
First Year

I remember reading somewhere (the main site I think)that a relative of James Potter invented the Golden Snitch and that they were living on his inheritance passed down through the generations.

Old February 27th, 2007, 6:38 pm
Fourth Year

JKR said that James's parents were extremely wealthy, and because he inherited all their money, he didn't need a real job. In this way the Potter family was similar to the Malfoy family in that there was no need for the family member to do any actual work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalli View Post
I remember reading somewhere (the main site I think)that a relative of James Potter invented the Golden Snitch and that they were living on his inheritance passed down through the generations.
This is just speculation because the inventor of the golden snitch lived in Godric's Hollow. There is no other evidence to suggest that this is true, though it could explain why the Potter family was so wealthy.

Old February 27th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Second Year

I think the money is from James' parents - passed down, I'm guessing they could of been Aurors? (Did I spell that right?) and I think Lily worked in the DoM, just a thought. Didn't Jo say James didn't need to work, because he had money passed down from his parents, but that doesn't stop Lily working does it?

There are somethings you can't share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

Old February 27th, 2007, 7:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonna View Post
JKR said that James's parents were extremely wealthy, and because he inherited all their money, he didn't need a real job. In this way the Potter family was similar to the Malfoy family in that there was no need for the family member to do any actual work.

This is just speculation because the inventor of the golden snitch lived in Godric's Hollow. There is no other evidence to suggest that this is true, though it could explain why the Potter family was so wealthy.
This makes sense because in PoA, Vernon tells Marge that James Potter was unemployed although I didn't take his word for it at first. What puzzles me as to why Harry didn't make an effort to find out what his parents did for a living.

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts
...but you cannot deny he's got style..."-Phineas Nigellus
Old February 27th, 2007, 7:27 pm
Second Year

There was an interview that JKR did where she kind of explained that but I can't remember which one it is. But I think she said it had something to do with a connection to Gringotts. Not really sure though I would have to find the interview.

Last edited by LilySkywalker; February 27th, 2007 at 7:31 pm.
Old February 27th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Sirius' Girl

James inherited it. Lilly married into it. James was an only child, so he got everything that his parents left. Given that they had such a short time together, and that, for years, the gold sat unused in a Gringotts vault, collecting both dust and interest, it's not surprising there's so much of it.

Old February 27th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

You bring up an interesting point in why Dumbledore (actually Hagrid) had the key to Harry's Gringott's vault.

Did he have hidden a copy of the Potters' will? What other things of the Potters did he have, besides the cloak?

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old February 27th, 2007, 8:36 pm
Sixth Year

I doubt that Dumbledore has many things of importance that the Potters would've owned. Although I'm sure there are many items that Harry could've inherited, the house was destroyed and everything he could've received went with it. Dumbledore only has the cloak because he had it when James died. Since they were in hiding, if James needed to buy any supplies, he couldn't go out and do it himself so he would send someone else, another order member probably to go out and use his money to buy it, much like Sirius did with Crookshanks and the Firebolt. When they died, Dumbledore took care of the key since he was the one who had to choose what to do with Harry.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old February 28th, 2007, 3:42 am
Banned

Does anyone else think it extremely odd that Harry doesn't know what his parents did for a living? This leads me to believe that their jobs have a certain significance. I think one or both of them may have been Unspeakables, because to me it seems there are still some loose ends with the DoM. Perhaps James and/or Lily were the reason the Order was able to have all that information on the DoM.

Old February 28th, 2007, 3:49 am
Fifth Year

I am inclined to think that one or both of them had important high paying jobs. I find it strange that Jo has never directly answered the question as to what their occupation was. I think there's a lot of evidence to suggest that Lily might have been an Unspeakable, though I think there's another thread on this which has far better points on this subject than I could ever hope to make.

Old February 28th, 2007, 4:31 am
First Year

But if one or the other had important high paying jobs, how come no one mentioned that to Harry? If James had a prominent job then he was bound to have had a colleague, an employer or an employee, and we've met none of these people.

That's why I'm inclined to believe that James or Lily had secretive jobs... either as unspeakables or secret police or spies or something. I'm also waiting to see if it's going to be significant that James was an animagus and whether that would have helped him in his job... interesting

Edit: Actually, scratch that. Everyone seems to recognise that Bode and Quoker were unspeakables, and still no one has mentioned anything like that about Harry's parents. SO if either of the Potters were unspeakables, it would have been a secret profession, and "secretly an unspeakable" sounds just a bit over-the-top, in secrecy. The only reason I can think of for someone to keep an unspeakable profession secret, would be to not attract unwanted attention from Voldemort (poor Bode) but since the Potters had already defied the Dark Lord three times, it doesn't seem likely.

| Prong's piggy- er, "staggyback" | Occlumency (photomanip) |
|Parents that thrice defied... (pencil sketch) | Buck...beak. (took about 12 hours) | Fox Animagus: But Who? (10 hours) |
| Thestrals, To the Rescue. (12 hours) | The Heir of Slytherin (7 hrs) | A comic fo' Sirius |

Every time someone spoils, this wolf bursts another vocal chord.
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Last edited by Pacmanite; February 28th, 2007 at 6:59 am.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:39 pm
First Year

i think the more interesting question of what they did has arisen out of this and that has always puzzled me and leads me to think that it must be significant, people are always so keen to tell Harry as much as possible about his mum and dad and yet no mention of what they did.

Here's a thought.... Lily was an unspeakable and working in the DOM and she saw the prophecy, someone must be responsible for labelling them, now i know that the prophecy can only be heard by those it is about or who it was made to but what if her job was to hear them and label them? That would explain why the potters knew they were marked for death and went into hiding???

Is that too out there??!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives