Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Foul Language in DH

Old September 5th, 2007, 2:30 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Foul Language in DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJkeep View Post
No, I'm sorry. I don't believe that for a second. Everyone swears at one time or another, but it's not always heard. You've never swore under your breath at something? Never touched something really hot and let it slip out accidentally?

Yes, but that's not what we're talking about here and I did address that in my first post in this thread, but since it was not linked with the one you are responding to I will cut you some slack. I don't swear on a normal basis, which is the gist I'm getting that most people tend to think teenagers do (I'm past my teenage years) in this thread. I'm not offended, just trying to state that it's not always true. Anyway, like I said in my previous post, it's nice to have Hermione portrayed as someone who dislikes swearing (through her "Ron!" exclamations when he does it), but when she's in a state it just pops out.
I'm not a goody-goody and I'm not trying to portray myself as one, but swearing is just not something I want to do. Honestly, it took a good long time for my friends to coax me to say the word "****." (ugh, banned word--it starts with c and rhymes with rap). Some of the people I hang out with, I would be really shocked to hear them say a dirty word. Sure, they might say it if they stubbed their toe on a rock, but any other time I would honestly be surprised.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; September 5th, 2007 at 2:34 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2007, 2:53 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post

Yes, but that's not what we're talking about here and I did address that in my first post in this thread, but since it was not linked with the one you are responding to I will cut you some slack. I don't swear on a normal basis, which is the gist I'm getting that most people tend to think teenagers do (I'm past my teenage years) in this thread. I'm not offended, just trying to state that it's not always true. Anyway, like I said in my previous post, it's nice to have Hermione portrayed as someone who dislikes swearing (through her "Ron!" exclamations when he does it), but when she's in a state it just pops out.
I'm not a goody-goody and I'm not trying to portray myself as one, but swearing is just not something I want to do. Honestly, it took a good long time for my friends to coax me to say the word "****." (ugh, banned word--it starts with c and rhymes with rap). Some of the people I hang out with, I would be really shocked to hear them say a dirty word. Sure, they might say it if they stubbed their toe on a rock, but any other time I would honestly be surprised.
Alrighty then, I knew it!

I too don't swear regularly, usually only when I'm in pain somehow or under my breath so no one hears me. I was just trying to make the point that everyone does it in some form or another.

Last edited by DJkeep; September 5th, 2007 at 2:56 am.
Old September 5th, 2007, 2:56 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Yeah, yeah, accidentally Just not like Ron does and especially not in front of my parents (I don't care how old I am, I'll never be able to do that)! I like how Ron has the dirtiest mouth of the trio and Hermione has the "cleanest" one.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old September 5th, 2007, 3:01 am
Fourth Year

Of course I don't swear in front of my parents! That's murder for anyone to do, especially if they're young like me.

Old September 5th, 2007, 3:07 am
Third Year

Best not to candy-coat anything. People curse and all kids'll discover that eventually, anyway. The books grow with their readers, so naturally the hard realism that's been inherent in the series since book one is going to become more and more apparent. A lot of people complain that Molly's uses of the B-word was just stupid, and comical in its context, but I disagree. I mean, what did you expect her to say?

Perhaps:
"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU COCKADOODIE BRAT!"

Or the classic line:
"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU... witch..."

Old September 5th, 2007, 3:11 am
Fourth Year

I agree, it would have sounded completely out of place if she said anything else- sugar coating it as you say.

Old September 9th, 2007, 8:00 pm
First Year

Calm down...It's just a word ! Woow ! Mrs.Weasley was really angry and I don't see how she could explain her wrath without say >biiiiiiiip< ! lol Lots of contemporary books use fool words...I've heard american version of DH has been censor (for this word), was that ? I wonder 'cause I don't excatly know the difference between American and English version (expt. covers and editors...)...But that's quite the same , uh?

Lady , => Waiting if "THE WORD" is really translate in her mother tongue ! XD lol

Old September 9th, 2007, 9:27 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

The American version has not been censored. I would hate it dearly if that happened! I would be flying to Scholastic in New York and give them more than a piece of my mind if they did something like that.

Old September 9th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Second Year

The language in the book wasn't exactly intense. Just some mild words. If I remember correctly, HBP had some "foul" language in it as well. As Rowling's characters mature, so does their language. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The language also adds a "teen" sense to the books so that I felt I could identify more with the characters. As for Molly's line, I thought it was great. It was totally unexpected, but it showed Molly's true desire to save her children and how much they mean to her.

Send me an Owl if you want me to make you an HP sig.

Truth is the property of no individual but is the treasure of all men.
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilpotter View Post
The language in the book wasn't exactly intense. Just some mild words. If I remember correctly, HBP had some "foul" language in it as well. As Rowling's characters mature, so does their language. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The language also adds a "teen" sense to the books so that I felt I could identify more with the characters. As for Molly's line, I thought it was great. It was totally unexpected, but it showed Molly's true desire to save her children and how much they mean to her.
I can't remember any foul language in HBP...???

Old September 13th, 2007, 2:45 pm
Sixth Year

If you go to the chapter about the Gaunts, Marvolo calls Merope, well, something...

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old September 13th, 2007, 4:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue3ski View Post
If you go to the chapter about the Gaunts, Marvolo calls Merope, well, something...
HAHAHA!!! Yup I thought I was surprised by Jo's use of that word in HBP s***...
I personally don't mind the swearin as everyone has mentioned before the characters are getting older and everyone swears at some point.
Mrs. Wealey's line was awesome.("NOT MY DUAGHTER YOU witch!!!"...mugglecast anyone??) other than that I didn't notice that much swearing.

In OOTP when Mr Weasley is in St. Mungos he is about to swear or say something innapropiate in front of everyone and Mrs. Weasley gets mad at him and I've never been able to figure out what he was about to say.

And how about the "rude hand gesture" LOL that has been going on since GOF and I always laugh a little when I read those. I like the way Jo censored the words in all the books I always thought it made seem more funny I guess.

Last edited by SMAC; September 13th, 2007 at 4:31 pm.
Old September 13th, 2007, 9:02 pm
Fourth Year

This thread cracks me up. I still remember being slightly taken aback when Snape told Filch (in GoF), "I don't give a damn about that wretched poltergeist," because I hadn't noticed anyone swear in the books to that point, not even the adults.

And then, in OotP, Uncle Vernon with all those "effing owls"....shocking!

"Hey, Mom! Snape DIDN'T die - he's pitching in the World Series!"
[
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:43 pm
Third Year

The characters are getting older and really I think it adds to DH cause in a war your bound to get fustrated and swear a little.

Old September 14th, 2007, 5:06 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severely Snapped View Post
This thread cracks me up. I still remember being slightly taken aback when Snape told Filch (in GoF), "I don't give a damn about that wretched poltergeist," because I hadn't noticed anyone swear in the books to that point, not even the adults.
That may have been the first spelled-out swearword, yeah, but have you checked to see if anyone had been described as "swearing under their breath" or if it's been said that "he swore" or anything like that? Those are less controversial because the cussword isn't written, but those instances should be taken into account, too, as they indicate the same thing as the blatant profanity does: the characters are being foul-mouthed like real people do.

Quote:
And then, in OotP, Uncle Vernon with all those "effing owls"....shocking!
Heh. Not really all that shocking as it's only a substitute for profanity. Like saying "flipping owls." Still, worth noting: Jo didn't shy away from suggesting the real word behind the letter, which is, as we know, the mother of all cusswords ("Except it didn't come out as 'fudge,' Cornelius..." ).

Old September 14th, 2007, 10:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue3ski View Post
Oh okays, I see what you're getting at. Though I never considered slut as a swear word.

Old September 14th, 2007, 10:13 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Therein revealing a huge cultural gulf. In many parts of the English speaking world damn doesn't even rate as a profanity.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:33 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Therein revealing a huge cultural gulf. In many parts of the English speaking world damn doesn't even rate as a profanity.
No, in fact it's something you say instead of worse swear words.

I was surprised that the other b-word (not the one used by Molly) appeared in the book, though.

Old September 14th, 2007, 10:41 am
Hogwarts Graduate

You mean the word that 'bludgering' was a stand-in for? Or the one that Ron called Malfoy when he punched him for pleading with the Death Eater "And that's the second time we've saved your life tonight, you two-faced b____!"
I don't think the swearing amounted to all that much, really- I mean, even Hermione went off a bit- Merlin's pants and so on. And damn isn't really a swearword- it's quasi-legitimate, as far as language goes.

Old September 14th, 2007, 5:09 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by =fire angel
Oh okays, I see what you're getting at. Though I never considered slut as a swear word.
I personally think it's not either but it's not family-friendly either It's perfect all right that DH had a few swear words IMO - to me, it sort of symbolized the fact that Harry has grown up enough to accept hearing it.

Dance Pretty

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives