Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Favourite HP movie so far

View Poll Results: Which one is your favourite movie so far?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 26 4.58%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 121 21.30%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 37 6.51%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 168 29.58%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows (it will just rock the most...) 132 23.24%
Voters: 568. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26th, 2010, 11:51 am
Second Year

Re: Favourite HP movie so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
I don't agree about PS being a "series of episodes". In fact, I thought that it was a wonderfully constructed introduction to the Wizarding world with some genuinely exciting moments. I know that some fans dislike Colombus' handling of the material, but I enjoyed both of his films very much and re-watch them repeatedly for the excellent performances, visual representation of the school, etc.
Well, what I missed in PS compared to CoS was something like more coherent and developed storylines rather than a straight re-telling of the book, with one adventure or event following another. I don't think every film adaptation should follow one specific plot formula, but with PS it felt more palpable than with any of the other films that it followed the structure of the book to a fault IMO.

Incidentally, although I like the British cast and find things that I enjoy in both his films, there's something about the directorial style of Columbus which I find to be lacking. He reminds me too much of a certain plain adventure movie style which was more common earlier, for instance in films like "The goonies" and several similar adventure films from the 80s.

Last edited by jan74; April 27th, 2010 at 12:52 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2010, 2:38 am
First Year

1. HBP
2. OOTP -a very unpopular opinion, but i loved it
3. POA.
4. GOF
5. COS
6. SS

i dont dislike any of the movies. i love them all. HBP was amazing on every level

Old May 5th, 2010, 2:41 am
Fourth Year

1. HBP
2. POA
3. OOTP
4. GOF
5. SS/COS [tied]

COS

Pottermore
Old May 5th, 2010, 4:43 am
Third Year

As a standalone movie, I LOVED Order of the Phoenix. For a film that best follows the book, my fav is Prizoner of Azkaban.

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old May 5th, 2010, 5:23 pm
First Year

1. Hbp
2. Poa
3. Gof
4. Ootp
5. Cs
6. Ss

Old May 8th, 2010, 11:08 pm
Fourth Year

For me its always going to be PS/SS.

It's the reason I started reading Harry Potter! The magical feeling that movie resonates, IMO, is phenominal!

Old May 10th, 2010, 12:25 am
First Year

Here is my list:

1. POA
2. OOTP
3. COS
4. HBP
5. GOF
6. PS

I'm really surprised that the majority consider HBP the best HP movie so far. I thought the victory of POA was certain.

Old May 10th, 2010, 4:54 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactheknife View Post
For me its always going to be PS/SS.

It's the reason I started reading Harry Potter! The magical feeling that movie resonates, IMO, is phenominal!
That's exactly the same for me. Despite of subsequent movies, I still think the first 2 are the best. The last movies are hard to make, I think. THe books are so thick, the movies have to leave out too many details.

Winky45

Old May 10th, 2010, 5:00 am
Fourth Year

poa was good but it went out the window as 'best' for me when they didnt include ANY of the marauder information. seeing as how that was my favorite book because of that, i was quite disappointed.

COS

Pottermore
Old May 10th, 2010, 5:41 am
First Year

i love the first, i watched a million times when i was a kid and i thought i was a witch....a kid can dream.

Old May 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Second Year

1. HBP / POA (for totally different reasons!)
2. OOTP
3. GOF
4. PS
5. COS

No idea which one I like more out of POA and HBP. They're both so fantastic in such different ways! HBP for it's dedication to the books, POA for it's lack of dedication.

And as an adaptation, I think that OOTP was fantastic and probably the best in comparison from book to film - it really summed up everything that was good about the novel and cut the excess.

Old May 10th, 2010, 8:38 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixFelicis89 View Post
Here is my list:

1. POA
2. OOTP
3. COS
4. HBP
5. GOF
6. PS

I'm really surprised that the majority consider HBP the best HP movie so far. I thought the victory of POA was certain.
Well, PoA and HBP share the first spot on my list. They are both excellent films, standing out from the rest. I think HBP deals with a much more complex story, and as such it feels unfair to compare it to PoA, because it has so much more to play on. I'm very impressed by how much Cuaron made out of the fairly straightforward story basis of PoA.

What I particularly treasured in PoA was the presentation of the dementors, their appearance and the effect they had on others, including the "final" scene where Harry rescues Sirius. I was also struck by the beautiful cinematography and visualization of the landscape and the seasons, as well as the time turner sequence. All of it was done in a very imaginative way.

The cinematography of HBP, though, is no less interesting. HBP also features more excellent acting, and more effective "guest star" appearances than PoA. I'm thinking for instance of the superb acting in the Riddle memories, Bellatrix destruction of the Great Hall, not to mention Slughorn's story.

The flow of the two films are quite different. PoA flows more smoothly than HBP, but in my opinion this doesn't neccessarily make it better (nor worse), just different. HBP is great at using pauses and still images for dramatic effect, for instance the brief moments after Dumbledore and Harry apparates, or the view into Borgin and Burke's when Malfoy is in the Room of hidden things, or Harry on the island in the cave looking at the lake.

Old May 10th, 2010, 11:50 pm
First Year

Yeah, you are right about POA but in my opinion HBP is a flop. Some scenes are beautiful and other scenes are thrilling but they haven't respected the spirit of the book, which is a thriller based on Tom Riddle's past and on the relationship between Harry and the Half-blood prince. Where is all this in the movie? I've only seen two memories. As for the Prince, the way Kloves has written his story is ridiculous. Why? Because when Snape says "I'm the Half-blood Prince" everyone goes like: "and so?!"... This, in my opinion, means that they have failed to bring the book on the screen, even if many scenes are great.

Old May 11th, 2010, 9:29 am
Second Year

Quote:
Yeah, you are right about POA but in my opinion HBP is a flop. Some scenes are beautiful and other scenes are thrilling but they haven't respected the spirit of the book, which is a thriller based on Tom Riddle's past and on the relationship between Harry and the Half-blood prince. Where is all this in the movie? I've only seen two memories. As for the Prince, the way Kloves has written his story is ridiculous. Why? Because when Snape says "I'm the Half-blood Prince" everyone goes like: "and so?!"... This, in my opinion, means that they have failed to bring the book on the screen, even if many scenes are great.
I agree. HBP is full of gorgeous scenes, a beautiful cinematography, some great scenes... The atmosphere is spot-on. But the movie lacks ANY sense at all! It's a long movie about.... what?? Teenage romance? Incredibly, all the main plots are badly handled:

-Tom Riddle. The Horcruxes are not properly explained (specially the fact that, after destroying 6 horcruxes you can destroy Voldemort) and what is the point of Voldemorts background? Yes, the scenes are creepy, but they never compare Riddle to Harry, and the different choices he made.

-Snape. There is not enough mystery around him and whether he is good or bad. Harry should have been sure about Snape being bad, and Dumbledore should have said "I trust Severus Snape" clearly (and more than once). THEN, the moment when Snape appears in the tower and Harry trusts him would have worked.

-The Half-Blood Prince. And so what? Not enough mystery, and it's not clear that Harry "trusts" the book as a friend, or even that the book contains dark magic at all. "I am the Half Blood Prince". Oh, ok, fine. And what?

I really wanted to love HBP, and I love parts of it (the colours, cinematography and so many iconic scenes and moments), but overall, the film is atrociously handled.

So still, POA is the only REAL film for me

Old May 11th, 2010, 10:29 am
Second Year

I like them all as each one gets more complicated as in the books but if it's true that OotP Ultimate edition will have so many scenes restored then that is going to be my favourite until DH arrives.

Old May 11th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Well, if you wanted the film to be mainly about Voldemort's past and the identity of the Half-Blood Prince, it's no wonder that you're disappointed.
The half-blood prince is just a sort of diversion in the book in my opinion, something to divert the attention of the reader; the allegiance of Snape is a much more central question.

I think the film has taken much of the drama which is there in the book, but more in the background, and has given them a more central place. By doing this the film actually provides more drama and more interesting story lines to identify with for the viewer than a straight thriller in my opinion. If you prefer a straight thriller with a strict focus on Harry (and his relation to Voldemort), this film is bound to disappoint.

In a book you can have many episodes with explanations of memories and you can make it work. In a film it's tedious and neither a good nor effective way of telling a story or getting the spirit of the story across. Perhaps they could have shown one more memory, but that's as much as I would have allowed.

Old May 11th, 2010, 1:30 pm
Second Year

It's not about how many memories are in the movie, is about what do the memories tell us.

So, what's HBP (the movie) about?

And the half-blood prince book is the counterpoint of Snape and his allegiances. Harry decides to trust one and not the other.

Old May 12th, 2010, 3:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oierem View Post
It's not about how many memories are in the movie, is about what do the memories tell us.

So, what's HBP (the movie) about?

And the half-blood prince book is the counterpoint of Snape and his allegiances. Harry decides to trust one and not the other.
The memories in book-HBP and the subsequent talks between Dumbledore actually delve into a lot of things and I wouldn’t for one second expect the film to go into many of the details and lengthy explanations, nor do I think it’s good film-making to do so. The memories we see in the film actually tell us a lot about Voldemort’s character and image of himself through his behaviour as well as given us the most essential information about the Horcruxes. Instead of giving a rather lot of information about the horcruxes in advance, more details about the horcruxes can be revealed little by little as the search progresses in Deathly Hallows. This is a more cinematic way of doing it in my opinion.

As to the half-prince book, I’m not sure if I follow you – you’re free to explain. When I read the book I just considered the book as an item Harry found very useful and interesting because he’s not very good at potions and – unlike Hermione – has few qualms about cheating and taking risks. I never thought that Harry actually trusted the book, but he decided to disregard his doubts and those of others, because letting go of the book seemed so disadvantageous both inside and outside class.

Movie HBP cannot be pinned down to one single thing or main plot. Teenage romance and its trials, like experiencing heartbreak, retaining friendship despite conflicts about love, is actually an integral part of the Harry Potter world, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that this is an important part of the film. The film is also about the loneliness and despair which follows from being put in terrible dilemmas and going about tasks which are at odds with your own conscience. It’s about Harry growing closer in Dumbledore’s confidence and being recruited to a mission. And finally it’s Harry’s relation to the new teacher Slughorn and the terrible secret hidden in Slughorn’s and Voldemort’s shared past. A common theme for the last story strand is the power of manipulation.

The different plots are often linked to each other, so it didn’t seem very confusing to me, but others are free to dislike the choices that have been made or the style of the film for that matter. The director has made some changes as to what to emphasize compared to the book and I liked those changes, while others didn't.

Old May 12th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Fourth Year

^ very well said.
while it is a small disappointment not everything is included, some things just arent 'movie-material'.
the people who create these movies need to think of the audience. yes, harry potter fans want to see every detail on screen, but theres also non-harry potter fans coming to see this and it needs to appeal to every market. thats where all the 'love' and whatnot comes in. thats what people like to see on screen. humor, love, heartbreak. it portrays well on screen so thats why that was done.

COS

Pottermore
Old May 12th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Eldest Gruff

Perhaps we can return to topic.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives