Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Favourite HP movie so far

View Poll Results: Which one is your favourite movie so far?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 26 4.58%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 121 21.30%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 42 7.39%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 37 6.51%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 168 29.58%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows (it will just rock the most...) 132 23.24%
Voters: 568. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:17 am
Fifth Year

Re: Where does HBP rank in your favorite HP films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
Not to mention there was no explanation of priori incantatum(sp?) if I'm correct. No phoenix song, no Cedric reappearing in the form of a somewhat solidified ghost, nor his mother, nor his father. Just red and green light clashing with each other dramatically. A scene dedicated to three chapters of the book was blown through magnificently quick. Yeah I agree lets cut down on the crummy first task. Pathetic dragon keepers by the way letting the darn thing break right through its chains and fly around the castle trying to eat the Hogwarts champion.

Honestly what they did was shortened important scenes and elongated insignificant scenes and thus ruined all the scenes I looked forward too such as BF&B/DE/Priori, Third Task, The Pensive, and I grumbled about the missing house elves. This was the movie that really had the chance to bring back Dobby as he was only absent one film as he was in the books. And thus due to their choice to forgo the house elves seemed to set precedent for OotP and HBP. BLAH! [/rant]
Also the portrayal of Dumbledore - this was the way they wrote him, not Gambon's fault IMO - was so horrible. Harry's portrayal was also horrible. Newell was such an awful director

Also too much humor...and they terribly over simplified the whole Crouch family story when it was one of the best parts of GoF, not to mention the foundation of the freaking plot!!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:37 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
Also the portrayal of Dumbledore - this was the way they wrote him, not Gambon's fault IMO - was so horrible. Harry's portrayal was also horrible. Newell was such an awful director

Also too much humor...and they terribly over simplified the whole Crouch family story when it was one of the best parts of GoF, not to mention the foundation of the freaking plot!!
When I read the book the first time I was pretty much on the edge of my seat with the whole mystery of who put Harry's name in the goblet? Who got to Crouch in the forest before Dumbledore? The whole story of Crouch and his son was so freaking clever and when I was done reading I went back feeling stupid how it all tied in so well thinking I ought to have unraveled that it was Crouch's son. Nothing was explained in the movie.

As for the many attempts at teenage humor and drama, I might have smiled a few times and then cringed at the drama portion. Much unlike this film when I couldn't help laughing on many occasions.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:40 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
When I read the book the first time I was pretty much on the edge of my seat with the whole mystery of who put Harry's name in the goblet? Who got to Crouch in the forest before Dumbledore? The whole story of Crouch and his son was so freaking clever and when I was done reading I went back feeling stupid how it all tied in so well thinking I ought to have unraveled that it was Crouch's son. Nothing was explained in the movie.

As for the many attempts at teenage humor and drama, I might have smiled a few times and then cringed at the drama portion. Much unlike this film when I couldn't help laughing on many occasions.
Yeah the wellwoven mystery in GoF with the Crouches is why it's still one of my favorites (maybe 3rd on my favorites)...but then in the movie they just show Barty Jr in plain sight casting the Dark Mark in the forest, what, 20 minutes in? Ugh.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:42 am
Rex's Mummy

When I first saw HBP I loved it more than any of the others, but after some time, and a second viewing, while I still think it is a great movie, it doesn't quite knock out PoA as my top.

1. PoA
2. HBP
3. OotP
4. PS
5. GoF
6. CoS (If it weren't so fraught with spiders it would be much higher on the list.)

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:44 am
Fifth Year

I can't believe GoF has more votes than OOTP on this poll. shameful

Old July 22nd, 2009, 8:39 am
Fifth Year

HBP would have been top of my list if it had done the Harry/Ginny relationship better, shown their kiss as it was from the book and cut that pathetic waitress scene at the start.
Because of these flaws, I cannot rate HBP higher than the first two, so for me;
1) CoS
2) PS
3) HBP

Then lower

4) OotP
5) GoF

Then way down

6) PoA

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:05 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
I can't believe GoF has more votes than OOTP on this poll. shameful
People are entitled to their opinion. If they liked GoF better than OotP, that is their prerogative.

I prefer OotP to GoF, personally, and am quite surprised it hasn't got more votes.

PoA is still my favourite, with OotP and HBP tying very close in second place.

P.S. I have a soft spot for CoS, which is kind of against my principles but I just love Draco in it, and Christian Coulson as Tom.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:28 am
Secret Keeper

Wow, so I just noticed how unusual the spread is. I would have expected it to be a little more evenly distributed.

Of course there's only been just over 100 votes, but it's pretty much entirely PoA and HBP...with HBP being the fav of nearly 50%!

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 22nd, 2009 at 10:36 am.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:03 pm
Second Year

I loved HBP but having only seen it once dont feel it can take over for POA as my fav just yet. Sooo...

1. POA
2. HBP
3. OotP
4. PS (purely for sentimental reasons of it being the first, and the trio being so cute and adorable)
5. GOF (its bad but more entertaining than COS)
6. COS

Old July 22nd, 2009, 2:15 pm
Second Year

HBP : Right on top!

It was an excellent adaptation. Sure, I can sit here and complain about so many things that should have been in the movie, but on the whole I think its very well done.
It was brilliant to look at and IMO had some of the best performance from the entire cast. There are so many scenes that stay in your head after watching the movie and it was in keeping with the spirit of the book and promises more to come in the next movies.
I really do hope that DH is even better!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 3:32 pm
Defender of Dogs

I voted on Deathly Hallows because I'm counting on that (those) to be the best one(s) yet.

But as of right now:

1. PoA
2. SS
3. CoS
4. GoF
5. HBP- barely edging out...
6. OotP

Old July 22nd, 2009, 3:38 pm
Second Year

1. PoA
2. HBP
3. OoTP
4. GoF
5. PS
6. CoS

HBP beats OoTP merely because of the performances of Rickman, Felton and Gambon. GoF and PS are hard to place, but CoS will always be the worse for me thanks to its incredibly dismal pacing.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:08 pm
Fifth Year

I'm so sad that so many people seem to hate CoS - I absolutely love it! It gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling!

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old July 22nd, 2009, 6:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Wow, so I just noticed how unusual the spread is. I would have expected it to be a little more evenly distributed.

Of course there's only been just over 100 votes, but it's pretty much entirely PoA and HBP...with HBP being the fav of nearly 50%!
Not unusual. As seen before PoA was taking the lead while the rest of the votes were about even amongst existing films. Naturally the PoA choice is and will still be a popular choice but I can easily assume that HBP has basically sapped a majority of votes from OoTP from those who liked Yates' venture in that installment, which explains that drop; and also winning top spot from the other films evenly throughout.

What should be analyzed is everyone's actual lists rather than this poll. Some interesting anomalies have caught my eye.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 7:50 pm
Fourth Year

1. POA (the only movie I really, really love)
2. GOF (loads of complaints, and the mood can be laughably wrong at times, but I can still watch it over and over)
3/4. HBP / OOTP (each has what the other needs- OOTP gets the plot with momentum, and HBP gets the better script/acting/cinematography)
5. COS (just because I like the book better than PS/SS)
6. PS/SS (ehhh)

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:09 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
The same for me, the only part I can stand watching is Ralph Fiennes's graveyard scene, I don't watch the whole movie maybe since four years.
I cringed for how badly romance was treated in the yule ball and moaning myrtle.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 9:29 pm
Third Year

These are in the order from when I watched each for the first time

1. HBP- because it made up for the worst one OotP
2. Sorcerers Stone- It got me into the series
3. GoF- After watching this it made me read the books
4. PoA- Good film
5. CoS- I don't like spiders
6. OotP- Worst film by far

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:02 pm
First Year

1. Half-Blood Prince
2. Order of the Phoenix
3. Philosopher's Stone
4. Goblet of Fire
5. Chamber of Secrets
6. Prisoner of Azkaban

Last edited by axl_girl; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:44 pm.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:12 pm
Secret Keeper

It's unusual given the nearly equal user scores. I posted this before on a different thread (surely you've seen it)

Something else that is unusual is the respective user scores for HBP (specifically the RT score)

RT- 76% (clearly doesn't fall in line with the others)

IMDB- 7.9/10

It would seem that HP fans sorta go against the grain. IMDB scores somewhat match what we see here but one would expect more votes spread amongst SS, CoS, GoF, and OotP. It does appear HBP has "sapped" votes from OotP, considering it pulled nearly 25% previously.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 22nd, 2009 at 10:14 pm.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:42 pm
First Year

Isn't the community scoring feature relatively new to RT? If so, the older movies would not have as much votes as the newer ones coming out. It's easier to manipulate. These are all just user scores though, I don't take much stock with them, heh.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives