Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Creating movie accurate costumes

Old October 31st, 2010, 12:27 am
Second Year

Re: Creating movie accurate costumes

I dont think you'd get any better than Lockhaven as they made the originals.

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2010, 2:56 pm
Second Year

Hi Folks,

It's been a while and I'm pleased to say Voldemort is finally finished!

I've not updated this thread for a while so the first part is just a quick catch up to get the thread up to date, and the last bit contains some pics of the finished piece.

So, onto the update pics for the build::    

Pooring the 1st bit of Silicone

Silicone Stippled Layer:

This forms a very fine membrane which will encapsulate the Gel Silicone which get's injected in later.

A view showing the support netting across the top of the head and reinforcing the nose area, and the gap between the head and the outer Fibreglass shell which will eventually be filled be filled with Silicone.

Some test colours:

Preping & mixing the silicone:

After 2 years, this is the moment it's all been leading up to! Eek!

Syringe already to go:

"are you sure about this!?!?"....

Silicone escaping from the bleeders (not an issue) and from the seams.... erm... we had to wait to see if that was issue!

Demoulding (yes, I really am wearing a head torch - it was about 2am at this point and as I had to demould him in the shower the lighting wasn't great)

Well, after a few very tense moments (when I realised there had been a mix up with the retarder)......Voldemort Lives!

Now just need to do the seams and painting... easy right?... erm... no

My seam actually wasn't that bad to start with but I managed to ironically make it worse....I quickly learnt that seaming wasn't as easy as the professionals make it look and that I didn't yet have the skills to do seaming well.

My 1st attempt went horribly wrong:

My 2nd attempt was better, but still not great:

I tried and tried lots of different approaches and spent best part of a week working and reworking the seams but in the end I decided I had to crack on or he wasn't going to be ready in time for the Premiere.

I'm hoping to go back and redo another cast at some point in the not too distant future though so hopefully the seams will be much better next time around.

Anyway, onto painting:

1st Layer of veins:

I carried on painting for a few days but didn't get many decent pics so I won't post them up.

Anyway, here's the finished piece (well, pretty much finished - I may tweak a few bits still but ultimately, after 2 years, he's done!)

A shot of the side profile - I'm really pleased with the nose!
(Note: He's not actually as pink as he looks in the pic )

I've had a lot of help from lots of different people in getting voldemort to this stage and I honestly couldn't have done this without them all.

Anyway, I hope you like it!

I'm hoping to go to the premiere to join everyone getting soaked to the skin! so let me know if you're going! It would be great for people to come and say hi!

Last edited by gertiekeddle; November 3rd, 2010 at 3:02 pm. Reason: Please use expand tags when posting big pictures. Thanks! :)
Old November 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I think it looks amazing! It's been fun following your journey on here as you've been giving us these updates. I'd love to see individual pictures of the finished robes and shoes as well, if you ever have the time, and if you get any amusing pictures of reactions to your costume I think they would be fun to see as well. ^_^

Really good job on this!

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old November 3rd, 2010, 4:18 pm
Second Year

I just can't get over how much patience you have!

I have to admit, the veins in the head kind of freaked me out a little! Very realistic.

Bravo...Bravo!!

Old November 3rd, 2010, 6:35 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

OMG Kessa! That's the most amazing thing I've seen. 2 years of hard work has really paid off. The veins look AWESOME!!! I'd love to be at the theater where you are going to be to see that in person!!!

So, that's you in the first pics? You look great and could never be mistaken for old Voldy! Curious, who cleaned up all that mess?

Old November 3rd, 2010, 7:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
Hi Folks,

It's been a while and I'm pleased to say Voldemort is finally finished!

I've not updated this thread for a while so the first part is just a quick catch up to get the thread up to date, and the last bit contains some pics of the finished piece.

So, onto the update pics for the build::    

Pooring the 1st bit of Silicone

Silicone Stippled Layer:

This forms a very fine membrane which will encapsulate the Gel Silicone which get's injected in later.

A view showing the support netting across the top of the head and reinforcing the nose area, and the gap between the head and the outer Fibreglass shell which will eventually be filled be filled with Silicone.

Some test colours:

Preping & mixing the silicone:

After 2 years, this is the moment it's all been leading up to! Eek!

Syringe already to go:

"are you sure about this!?!?"....

Silicone escaping from the bleeders (not an issue) and from the seams.... erm... we had to wait to see if that was issue!

Demoulding (yes, I really am wearing a head torch - it was about 2am at this point and as I had to demould him in the shower the lighting wasn't great)

Well, after a few very tense moments (when I realised there had been a mix up with the retarder)......Voldemort Lives!

Now just need to do the seams and painting... easy right?... erm... no

My seam actually wasn't that bad to start with but I managed to ironically make it worse....I quickly learnt that seaming wasn't as easy as the professionals make it look and that I didn't yet have the skills to do seaming well.

My 1st attempt went horribly wrong:

My 2nd attempt was better, but still not great:

I tried and tried lots of different approaches and spent best part of a week working and reworking the seams but in the end I decided I had to crack on or he wasn't going to be ready in time for the Premiere.

I'm hoping to go back and redo another cast at some point in the not too distant future though so hopefully the seams will be much better next time around.

Anyway, onto painting:

1st Layer of veins:

I carried on painting for a few days but didn't get many decent pics so I won't post them up.

Anyway, here's the finished piece (well, pretty much finished - I may tweak a few bits still but ultimately, after 2 years, he's done!)

A shot of the side profile - I'm really pleased with the nose!
(Note: He's not actually as pink as he looks in the pic )

I've had a lot of help from lots of different people in getting voldemort to this stage and I honestly couldn't have done this without them all.

Anyway, I hope you like it!

I'm hoping to go to the premiere to join everyone getting soaked to the skin! so let me know if you're going! It would be great for people to come and say hi!
That costume is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! You did such a great job!

Old November 30th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Second Year

Hi All,

I just thought I'd post a quick update as Voldy has recently had his 1st public outing so I thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I decided it may be nice to create a thread showing the whole build process from start to finished without the distractions of hiccups, discussions, etc, so I've posted that up over on the Replica Prop Forums website: http://www.therpf.com/f24/voldemort-...-heavy-101757/

Anyway, here are some pics from his recent outing. I hope you like them!
Voldy out in the muggle world on the hunt for Horcruxes":    

Voldy tackles 2 muggles in the form of Wayne's world's Wayne and Garth.:    

I was trying to stay in character, but couldn't help crack up when they came at me with drumsticks pretending they were wands

More pics:    

Voldy meets Flitwick.... erm, I mean Griphook .... erm I mean, Warwick! lol:    

And scaring kiddies... just the way it should be! lol:    

Last edited by Kessa; November 30th, 2010 at 3:50 pm.
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:46 pm
First Year

Costume help

Hello all,

I need some advice on some costumes. My friends and I want to go in costume to the midnight premier of DH PT.2. I plan to go as Lucius and for my friends I was thinking Bellatrix, Voldemort, and maybe Rodolphus (which would essentially amount to a generic death eater costume haha). Anyway I've never really done this before and I'm not exactly sure the best way to go about it.

For Lucius, I want to do a somewhat close costume to his outfit from OotP. I have his walking stick from Noble and I plan to get his mask from them as soon as I have the money. I also have a wig. So that just leaves me with his robes which I believe are two parts and then some boots. Now does anyone have any ideas for the fabrics of his robes? The bottom part looks like leather, but I have no idea about the top part because I know nothing about fabric... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For Bella, I am getting her wand from Noble and I'm sure I can manage the wig and mask, but I have no idea what to use for the dress from OotP. Hopefully my friend can make this and Lucius' robes if I figure out what to make them out of and show her some reference pics... Anyway, does anyone have any ideas for fabric on Bella's dress?

For Voldy, should be pretty straight forward I'm getting a mask, and I have his noble wand. Once again that leaves his robes. I think I heard somewhere they were made of silk. (I may have to find a sub for that, because i would image that much would be expensive, although like I said I know nothing about fabric and such. XD)

And lastly Rodolphous, I guess will be similar to Lucius but I don't think the bottom robes of the generic death eaters in OotP were leather, I could be wrong though... So yeah, if anyone has any suggestions for any of this, please let me know, because as you can probably tell I have no idea what I'm doing. haha

Old March 13th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Second Year

Quote:
For Lucius, I want to do a somewhat close costume to his outfit from OotP. I have his walking stick from Noble and I plan to get his mask from them as soon as I have the money.
Hmmm.. if you're not going for full on movie accurate then I'd actually say save your money.. the nobel wand is great, but I had a look at the mask when I was looking at doing Lucius and if I'm honest I didn't think it was that different to the cheap plastic version you can get with the voice changer. Given the difference in the price, I dont think you gain that much. Plus, that'll be a very very long day for the last premiere, and I doubt you'd want to be wearing it all day, so there's a chance it may get damaged. Just a thought, but worth bearing in mind.

I think you can get the cheapy one off ebay for about £10, so you may want to get that and just mod it.

Quote:
So that just leaves me with his robes which I believe are two parts and then some boots. Now does anyone have any ideas for the fabrics of his robes? The bottom part looks like leather, but I have no idea about the top part because I know nothing about fabric... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In case it helps, check out my reference library for Lucius (and the general DEs):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...7609476507790/
The trousers I think were a very heavy (thick) duty cotton type material... almost like a very soft denim. Like you I'm useless with fabrics sadly.

I'd say that the robes were also cotton (as opposed to Silk which was used for Voldy)

For the top half, he wore a seperate undertop (see:http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...7609476507790/) which the emboidered arms were part of.

Over the top of that, he wore a tabbard with the full emboidery (lovely work!) and then over the top of that, he wore the outer robes.

One thing to watch for, is in the middle of some of the swirls (if you look really closely) there's a small piece of leather. It really adds to the effect nicely, so you may want to consider adding that even if you're not doing a full movie accurate version.

Quote:
For Bella, I am getting her wand from Noble and I'm sure I can manage the wig and mask, but I have no idea what to use for the dress from OotP. Hopefully my friend can make this and Lucius' robes if I figure out what to make them out of and show her some reference pics... Anyway, does anyone have any ideas for fabric on Bella's dress?
Again, here's a link to a reference library which may help:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...7622795959156/

Her corset was leather. Re fabric, again I know the texture but can't put a name to it... I think I should go on a textile course lol

For Bella, the hair, corset, and swirls are the key parts of her outfit so for the swirls, try to do 2 layers. The orginal had a mix of drawn and embroidered swirls. If you dont fancy embroidering the swirls I guess you could do a base layer using a (dark) gold pen, and then doing silver ones over the top..., again, it depends how accurate you want to go.

Another thing which really adds to the effect is to weather it. That's something you can do without it adding to the cost, but it really makes a big difference.

Quote:
For Voldy, should be pretty straight forward I'm getting a mask, and I have his noble wand. Once again that leaves his robes. I think I heard somewhere they were made of silk. (I may have to find a sub for that, because i would image that much would be expensive, although like I said I know nothing about fabric and such. XD)
Ahhh Voldy! Now THAT I can help you with
Check out my posts throughout this thread which may help. They're definately made of silk (in fact, they're 2 different kinds of silk). However, if you're only doing this for a "one off" at the premiere I'd definately recommend that you just get the cheapest one you can find as you'll need a lot! A haboti or twill should be fine.

The key thing is that you want it to "flow" when you move, so get something nice and light (but also, bear in mind you'll be outside (thankfully in July!) so you'll need to wear something under it to keep you warm too. I've got a green T Shirt.

Re the face, you have a few options.
Most people doing it for a one off just pop on a bald cap and apply white makeup.

Others go a bit further, and start to apply various prostheics to try to give the impression of a flatter nose.

I wouldn't recommend going to the full extreme of doing a full head (like me) unless you want to spend hundreds of pounds! lol Trust me, it's definately only worth doing if you're going the whole hogg!!!

The other option is to use the "off the shelf" mask (which is the approach it sounds like you've got in mind). When I saw the "off the shelf" masks initially on the web I didn't like the look of them. I didn't think they looked very realistic. However, I did see someone wearing one (on TV) for the last premiere and for a moment was actually quite surprised about how good it did actually look.

The main downside for the off the shelf mask though is that you have no facial movement so you're stuck with the same look, but again, if it's just for a one off then that's probably not an issue.

For shoes, I've gone with split sole Jazz boots which I'm 99% confident (having spent 2 years researching them!) are the same as the exact ones used in the film. Again though, it depends how much you're looking to spend over all. They're not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things (about £50) if like me, you're doing a full on version, but equally that's a sizable amount of money for a single night. The thing with the robes is that they pretty much over the feet barr about 2-3inches, so if you're in a crowd no one is going to be looking at your feet anyway.

Quote:
And lastly Rodolphous, I guess will be similar to Lucius but I don't think the bottom robes of the generic death eaters in OotP were leather, I could be wrong though... So yeah, if anyone has any suggestions for any of this, please let me know, because as you can probably tell I have no idea what I'm doing. haha
For the bottom of the Generic Death Eater robes, either check out the link above, or you could look at this one from the Last Deathly Hallows premiere:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...7625628677675/

I dont think the bottom of the robes for any of the DEs was leather. You can't quite see the bottom in this bit, but it looks like fabric all the way down (plus, it's a nice pic as it shows the leather in the swirls which I mentioned above)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...7609476507790/

Last edited by Kessa; March 13th, 2011 at 4:48 pm.
Old March 13th, 2011, 5:27 pm
First Year

Wow! That is a lot to go off of! Thank you so much!

Old April 7th, 2011, 3:12 pm
First Year

Pregnant Harry Potter Costume help needed!

Hi guys - I love Harry Potter and am very excited about the premiere on July 15th. I just found out that I am scheduled to give birth on the 15th at 5:30 a.m. (my only requirement was that it be after the premiere at 12:01!) So, at our theater, there are tons of contests - one being a costume contest. I've entered, but not won and feel like if I was really creative, I might could win. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could be for just me, or for my husband and I. I will be extremely pregnant then, so would love to come up with a way to incorporate my gigantic belly!! Help!!! Thanks!

Old June 10th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Second Year

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd share another quick update.

Voldemort has recently had his 2nd public outing... this time, at the London Expo event in May.

I only managed to do the Saturday, but it was awesome!!!

I had 4 people "spotting" for me (making sure people didn't stand on the robes ,etc) and at times, even that wasn't enough! He got absolutely mobbed! We had to up it to 6 at one point to help stop people overwhelming us!

As a costumer, it's great to see something you've created go down so well!

There were literally hundred's of people taking photo's of him during the course of the day, and the event had something like 40,000 people over the course of the weekend.

It was great to hear so many lovely comments too. A lot of people seemed genuinely shocked by how life-like he is...

This seem to be reflected in the amount of comments that contained expletives (so I won't repeat them here exactly! )

Safe to say that most were along the lines of:
"holly moley, that's awesome" or
"gosh, that's very realistic"
(I'll let you replace the words in orange with an expletive of your choice so you can decifer and construct the general type of feedback from those )

It was also funny to see how many people were genuinely unnerved by him.
I even had a few big, burly (bouncer type) blokes running away screaming like little girls at one point
It was a real struggle to stay in character and to just just burst out laughing! lol

Again, as a costumer it's wonderful to see that kind of reaction as it really does show that people don't just see you as "a bloke wearing a mask".

To add to that, I also started introducing more "interaction" than I did on his 1st outing. The first time was all about just getting comfortable with him. This time, it was about putting it all together and having fun

This really added an extra layer as you got the initial "wow" factor reaction when people 1st saw you, and then, I'd either do the head move that he does in GoF when he's resurected, or start questioning/tormenting/torturing people.

This meant you got a double whammy which comments like:

"Oh my, he even talks like him!!!" or
"Gee, he even does the moves!!!"
(Again, insert expletive here )

It took about 3 hours to get kitted up again, but this time we tackled the makeup differently, and also applied the bald cap much much tighter to reduce the creasing I suffered from last time. (That in itself has its issues, but I wont go into those here other than to say that 2 weeks on, I'm still healing!)

I was sooo much happier with the overall effect and hopefully you can really see the difference in the pictures.

He's still difficult to photograph well under indoor lighting due to the way the silicone and the makeup react to light, but in terms of structure, I think we've got the initial application issues ironed out.

There are still a few things I'd like to improve (when isn't there!), but I need to resculpt him to address those. I'm hoping to do that in time for the final premiere next month, but it's been really handy to try him out a few times to see what works, and what I need to go back to make work even better.

Anyway, enough waffle... here's a couple of pics:

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:29 pm
Second Year

Hiya, I searched this forum but couldn't find a whole lot of discussion on Luna. I might be nitpicking here, as it probably shouldn't be visible, but:
Does anyone know what color her shirt is under the pink jacket (HBP?

Thanks!

Sweet Voldy costume, btw, Kessa!

Pet: Screech owl named Artemis

"...what is easy is often not right."
with a twist of but CoS says i'm
Old May 23rd, 2012, 4:53 pm
First Year

That Voldemort costume is insane! I'm visiting the Harry Potter Studio Tour in London next month with a few friends. They're really into dressing up, and want to go in costume, and are trying to convince me to go as Hermione (I'm not a girl...), so I was coming on here to ask about costumes, but I don't think there's any point anymore, nothing will ever come close to that Voldemort! It's just amazing!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies