Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the play and book?
Awesome! Both of them. 2 5.13%
The play is great, but the story doesn't work in book format 4 10.26%
I've lots of emotions on core characters that must not be named 11 28.21%
Mwah... meh... 17 43.59%
The book is awesome, can't wait to see the play! 9 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2nd, 2016, 6:21 pm
Third Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

I really liked almost everything. There were a couple times in the beginning that I thought that Harry was harsher than he needed to be, even before the time switch. And not just the phrase he uses to Albus.

I didn't have too much trouble believing that Bellatrix at some point got Voldemort to get physical, as some sort of expression of her extreme devotion and loyalty.

And I would suspect that she'd have convinced him that any child of the two of them would be not a threat (nothing in the [original] prophecy about that, the threat was Harry--or Neville). I think she'd have convinced him that their offspring, raised in pureblood style, could be nothing but a supporter, with nothing but devotion to the cause, raised to help run the world for them.

Edit: She always did seem like she was looking for an even more extreme way to prove her loyalty. She did tell Narcissa that if she had sons, she'd be glad to give them in service to Voldemort, don't recall the exact phrasing.

I like the idea better that Delphi was born during HBP, which I've heard some express, but if it wasn't until later in DH, maybe saying that to Narcissa is when the idea to make a Voldy-child hit her..."If I had sons...Hey! Yeah! Great idea! That's an even greater way I can prove my super-extreme, better-than-anyone-else's loyalty to the Dark Lord! Have his kid and give him total control!"

Last edited by Rookie_Angel; August 2nd, 2016 at 6:31 pm. Reason: Addition, phrasing
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2016, 8:14 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith
The play is using a science fiction time paradox trope known as "The Grandfather Paradox." One of the standard conventions of this trope is that when the timeline alters due to time meddling, the characters who still exist alter as well.
My interpretation of this play was that it was a love letter to the fans where JKR makes amends for things she made happen in the books. That so many horrible things happened to Harry in the past, if there was a chance to go and make even one of them right again, it would be worth going back in time. As theater, the time travel was a good device for the rest of the plot.

The set up of why there was a time turner, who had it, how they found it and such was a little weak, but the time travel itself didn’t bother me. (I mean I'd love to know more about the Nott family - we know she knows all about their history!) I think we’ve all wondered what would have happened if one of the things in the HP timeline was different. What if Cedric didn’t grab the trophy with Harry? How would that have effected events going forward? Wasn’t one of the things that motivated Harry to fight so hard was the senseless killing by Voldemort. Wasn’t that when we all saw for the first time how ruthless and evil LV was? How his servant Pettigrew was happy to assist with killing Harry even though he practically lived with him for the past 3 years? I think that moment in the graveyard was pivotal to Harry’s whole story, and without Cedric presence how would things have changed?

And then the time travel showed things that were amazing. Grown Harry was able to see how Hagrid took him from the ruins in the most loving and tender way. That there were people watching over Harry at the moment he died. I was in tears during this part of the story.

As others have said, angry Harry was a bit much. I haven’t read the script yet (my local bookstore was sold out!) so I don’t know how it comes off in writing, but in the play it’s over done. I understand his angst about the well being of the child who is most like him growing as the nightmares continued and the scar began to hurt again. As a parent you would never want your child to experience all of what Harry went through. However, Harry was a bit manic to the point of painful to watch. I guess it’s a plot device that Harry’s vision was so clouded with worry and the lack of ability to connect with his son, that he pushes his child away which causes the wacky adventures to ensue.

The aspect of time travel that really worked for me was after they tried to humiliate Cedric in the second task, Scorpio comes out of the water and Albus isn’t there. The actor who played Scorpio had me in tears. It was amazing to see the love of his friendship in that moment. I was really rooting for everything to come back together just so they could be friends again.

Delphie… She was suspect from the beginning. It bothered me that Hermione wouldn’t recognize the ingredients in Polyjuice potion. Seriously. Even my 11 year old was annoyed by this. I’d like to know how Delphie knew of this prophecy. Who made it? Who was it made to? I’d like to know more about how she was raised, and how she learned such magic - like flying (which is learned, not hereditary) - if she was pretty much hidden away. I feel like this could be a parallel to Ariana or even Harry, but there wasn’t time/space in the play for this to be explored. I still don’t buy that Voldemort would have given into carnal needs with Bellatrix. We know she desired him, but was it mutual? I just don’t see Voldemort connecting to another human in that way. But whatever, I could get over it if we had more of Delphie’s back story.

Coming back from part 1 and entering for part 2 was a great in-person experience. Especially after that cliff hanger of a sobbing wet Scorpius without Albus. I wonder if they’ll explain all of this in the final script book.
Spoiler: show
They turned over the gift shop will all new merchandise. I took a picture, which maybe I’ll post later. The ticket takers greeted everyone with a “Happy Voldemort Day” and they no longer wore Gryffindor wear, they were all in black. The stage set had the Voldemort logo hanging so you felt the darkness before part 2 started.

I hope the play opens on Broadway in NY and I hope it travels, so more people can experience it in person.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 8:52 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
You are right that this is not OUR Harry.

But I think you are missing something here: The timeline in which Harry is forcing McGonnagall to spy on Albus and Scorpius against her will is not the canonical timeline.

The Harry in that timeline is not only not "our" Harry; he's not supposed to be "our" Harry. He's an alternate timeline Harry. In his timeline, Ron and Hermione never married. In his timeline, Albus sorted into Gryffindor. In his timeline, it's possible that the Crucio incident never even occurred.

The play is using a science fiction time paradox trope known as "The Grandfather Paradox." One of the standard conventions of this trope is that when the timeline alters due to time meddling, the characters who still exist alter as well.
You're right, this makes sense. Though I didn't even like how our Harry essentially told Minister of Magic Hermione that he was going to work the way he wanted, paperwork be damned. But I'll chalk that up to stress.

I guess I'll buy Delphi too, though I don't know if I understand the timeline. She said she was born at Malfoy Manor sometime shortly before the Battle of Hogwarts, yes? So Bellatrix would have had to be pregnant throughout the events of DH? That seems unlikely.

Edit: Remembered another thing I strongly disliked. The trolley witch! Pumpkin pasty grenades? Claws for hands? Plus she couldn't even stop them getting off the train so it was both overkill and ineffective.

Edit 2: I'm really trying to focus on the fact that this isn't continuation of the story, this is a play. I can appreciate that a lot of things would be MUCH more impressive and/or believable if I was watching the play. I guess maybe my expectations were too high. Though I do believe that a play actually written by JKR based on this exact same plot would read very, very differently.

Last edited by Kanksha; August 2nd, 2016 at 8:59 pm. Reason: Wanted to add another thought
Old August 2nd, 2016, 9:43 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Angel View Post
I like the idea better that Delphi was born during HBP, which I've heard some express, but if it wasn't until later in DH, maybe saying that to Narcissa is when the idea to make a Voldy-child hit her..."If I had sons...Hey! Yeah! Great idea! That's an even greater way I can prove my super-extreme, better-than-anyone-else's loyalty to the Dark Lord! Have his kid and give him total control!"
I think she was born during DH because of the Malfoy Manor line. It's only in DH that we find out Bella lived at Malfoy Manor and that Voldemort made it his HQ. During HBP, Arthur raids the Manor several times because of Harry's suspicions so if Bella was there at that point she must have been hiding somewhere. As for whether the child was planned by her, it's possible but wouldn't she worry about missing the final battle due to pregnancy? It's not like she knew that the battle wouldn't be until May and could plan accordingly.

Another thing that occured to me: Voldemort's comments to Bellatrix regarding her family. It seems weird that Voldemort would care so much about Bellatrix having werewolves in the family- unless her family was united by blood with his child. Suddenly his words about "pruning the family tree" acquire a whole new meaning. It's not like he actually thought Tonks was such a huge threat to his regime; he just didn't want a child of his being born into a family which counts werewolves (and their "cubs") among its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
I guess I'll buy Delphi too, though I don't know if I understand the timeline. She said she was born at Malfoy Manor sometime shortly before the Battle of Hogwarts, yes? So Bellatrix would have had to be pregnant throughout the events of DH? That seems unlikely.
It doesn't seem that unlikely to me. She could have been in the early stages of the pregnancy during the Seven Potters so no one would have noticed. Then given birth to Delphi in January of February 1998, a few months before the Trio arrived at the Manor. So once again, no one notices anything. The issue for me is: how come Draco didn't know he had a younger cousin? He doesn't say anything during the entire scene of Delphi's reveal. It would have made sense for him to at least say something like "Oh yeah, my aunt gave birth and mom gave the child away after she died" or something. Ultimately, this is the only thing about the Delphi timeline that doesn't make sense to me but even this can be explained away.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 9:48 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Too much time travel for my liking. I also think the story is over-convoluted bringing the "19-Years-Later" kids into it (which I've never been enthusiastic for). Had the plot just focused on the Voldemort's daughter element, it would have been better.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:50 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

I just put it on hold via my local library's website.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:31 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I just put it on hold via my local library's website.
I think I'll do that too.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 3rd, 2016, 4:35 pm
Fifth Year

I agree that the very very angry Harry was an alternative Harry that was a result of time meddling, but what he said to Albus, even in anger after being baited was almost unforgivable. There were times that Harry's actions lead me to think that maybe the Potter's marriage wouldn't survive the end of Part One.

The Fidelius Charm is the thing that has caused debate in this house. Should everyone from 2020 be able to see the house or not? Does the fact that they are from the future and are effectively secret keepers allow them to see it back in 1981 or is this an error. We kind of concluded that time travel didn't change the fact that they knew where the house was they could see it.

Old August 3rd, 2016, 11:46 pm
Third Year

Finished it. There were a few parts I liked but overall I was pretty disappointed. I agree with those who say it read like fan fiction and not very good fan fiction at that. Nothing about it felt like an authentic Harry Potter story and there were a few aspects that blatantly contradicted what we were told in the books. As others have pointed out some of the characters were so OOC. I mean what was up with Ron? He was reduced to a poor man's Fred and George and the butt of every joke. His "witty" comments were pretty cringeworthy. I thought that he went on to become an auror too and only moonlighted at the joke shop? Did I miss something? I've already explained why I find Delphi to be unbelievable so I won't rehash all of it, just want to add that my hunch that her character doesn't make much sense were confirmed. If she was born at Malfoy Manor then how could Draco not have known about it? When could she have possibly been born that would make sense within the context of DH? Also, I suppose it never occurred to her that altering time could very well have wiped out her existence? Even if Voldemort and Bella did still end up sleeping together at some point, it could have been under completely different circumstance during a completely different time and therefore a completely different baby could've been born (or maybe there wouldn't have been a baby at all). Don't get me started on the trolley witch, or on Rose Granger-Weasley being a mean girl.

It seemed like they tried to write a story about the tensions that often arise within father/child relationships (I think Albus' curse was being Harry Potter's son) and coming to terms with the past. I think they could've achieved this in a more sophisticated way without resorting to time travel, and DEFINITELY without including a completely unnecessary daughter for Voldemort.

"Of a sane man there can be only one safe definition: he is man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."
--G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by Altjeringa; August 3rd, 2016 at 11:51 pm.
Old August 4th, 2016, 4:48 am
Sixth Year

Spoiler free version: I liked it. I didn't love it. There were problems with it. But there were moments in this story that I absolutely loved. Out of character... at places. Melo-dramatic and cheesy... at places. Yes. But these were minor problems that I'm able to push aside and ignore. Like I said, there were moments that I LOVED this, and I even daresay that this play filled in some gaps that the books left exposed and never covered.

Spoiler free version:
My favorites parts...
1. (minor spoiler), but
Dumbledore's last talk with Harry. Yeah, I know it's not really Dumbledore... paint and memory... but close enough! I'll take it. I loved the Harry/Dumbledore interactions in the books - it was my favorite part. As a kid, I ALWAYS looked forward to seeing his name on the next page. (I almost died in OotP waiting for him to show up at the Ministry at the end and all.) I like a good Harry and Dumbledore angst. And then when Dumbledore tried to reach out the portrait but hE COULDN'T. MY GOD. BECAUSE IT'S TOO LATE. This was a win. I'm sorry for the shouting, I just got excited.

2. (minor spoiler), but
the trolley witch. Chucking pumpkin pasties as grenades. The freaking trolley witch. I almost died laughing. It's crackfic meets canon/almost canon (depending on what you accept). But it actually works. It is a reminder of why I loved the Wizarding World so much as a child... and as an adult.

3. (medium spoiler), but
Albus' sorting into Slytherin. This is how the world needs to be.

4. (minor spoiler), but
Scorpius' character is golden. He's adorable. He probably is the sole factor that fixed this entire story.

My least favorite parts...
1. (Huge spoiler), so beware
Delphi. Like. Just. No. However... when I was reading, and I saw the line of: "I am from the future. The child of Bellatrix Lestrange and you," I actually did lose it. It's just so funny. I remember being on another forum when I was 15 years old, and I made a thread about... um... what's the deal with Voldemort/Bellatrix...? and somebody else on the forum insulted me. Well, here I am in 2016, laughing at you. Granted, Voldemort felt nothing for her, but it did seem kind of like Bellatrix was... Never mind. The point is it's just so unbelievable a plot twist that I couldn't take the rest of the story seriously. I'm gonna pretend that was never a part of the plot and that she was just an intense fan of Voldemort's born after his death. I mean, really. She could've been just a Voldemort fanatic, not his freaking daughter. But okay.

2. (medium spoiler), but
The Scorpius/Albus thing was so freaking suggestive I was 99% sure they were going to go there. I mean... did you read it? But then it didn't go there. I was never a fan of... "Drarry..." so I have no interest in this ship, but it just seems like the audience was led on.

3. (minor spoiler), but
sometimes the characters' logic was nonexistent. I mean, some of the decisions made were pretty dang awful. Like when Albus, Delphi, and Scorpius decide to save Cedric, my first thought was that they were go back in time and warn him not to take the cup right before he starts or finishes the Third Task. Like it would've been so easy. But instead they're like... 'Let's go back and snatch his wand when he's facing a dragon in the First Task.' What?

Looks like I've done a lot of complaining - that really doesn't mean I didn't enjoy this though. I did. I did more than I thought I would. It helps to try to picture this happening on a stage. It's not a novel. Remember that, and then it can be enjoyable.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007

Last edited by Spirit; August 4th, 2016 at 4:50 am. Reason: Guess I don't have to use spoiler tags, but... I use
Old August 4th, 2016, 2:20 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
The Fidelius Charm is the thing that has caused debate in this house. Should everyone from 2020 be able to see the house or not? Does the fact that they are from the future and are effectively secret keepers allow them to see it back in 1981 or is this an error. We kind of concluded that time travel didn't change the fact that they knew where the house was they could see it.
Yeah, I think it was a mistake. Harry was the only one who should be able to see them since he was included in the secret as a one year old. But the rest of them would not be able to see anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altjeringa View Post
I've already explained why I find Delphi to be unbelievable so I won't rehash all of it, just want to add that my hunch that her character doesn't make much sense were confirmed. If she was born at Malfoy Manor then how could Draco not have known about it? When could she have possibly been born that would make sense within the context of DH?
At the start of 1998, I suppose. Maybe March or February? We don't see Bella that often in DH so it's not like the Trio meets her everyday and should have seen her pregnant. I don't see any problems with the timeline. The only thing that's weird plot-wise is that Draco seemed completely unaware of her existence. He was at Hogwarts during most of DH so maybe Delphi was born when he was at school and then they quickly gave her up for adoption to the Rowles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
The point is it's just so unbelievable a plot twist that I couldn't take the rest of the story seriously. I'm gonna pretend that was never a part of the plot and that she was just an intense fan of Voldemort's born after his death. I mean, really. She could've been just a Voldemort fanatic, not his freaking daughter. But okay.
No need to use spoiler tags anymore

I agree that plot-wise she could have just been a fanatic or maybe they could have used a former DE from the books who escaped the final battle comes back and tries to restore Voldemort to power (because I think the play did need a villain cause otherwise there just isn't much there, IMO). But thematically, I think it makes sense that she is his daughter. This is a story about overcoming one's legacy or dealing with it. While Albus hates his legacy, Delphi revels in hers. So she's a foil to him but also to Harry in a way. They both grew up orphans, they both grew up with people who didn't like or want them. But unlike Harry who got to go to Hogwarts and make friends, Delphi never did. Her fate really is tragic and there's no doubt to me that she is, if not The Cursed Child, at least A Cursed Child. She seems misguided more than evil, actually. Who can blame her for wanting her parents back? She needed help, not Azkaban IMO.

Old August 4th, 2016, 5:30 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
The Fidelius Charm is the thing that has caused debate in this house. Should everyone from 2020 be able to see the house or not? Does the fact that they are from the future and are effectively secret keepers allow them to see it back in 1981 or is this an error. We kind of concluded that time travel didn't change the fact that they knew where the hobbuse was they could see it.
Oh wow this is a fantastic point! I'm trying to think this through. So in DH, all the DEs who were hanging out right outside of Grimmauld Place couldn't get in even though they knew that's where the place was, because they weren't secret keepers.

So should just knowing where the house is in Godric's Hollow be enough to let them see it? They were never told the location by the actual secret keeper. Also Albus and Scorpius go back first and they can see the house too even though they really shouldn't be able to, since they've NEVER been told where it is. Or is it okay to assume that just because the house doesn't have a Fidelius Charm on it in the present time, anyone who goes back to the past should be able to see it just fine.

Old August 5th, 2016, 3:45 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
At the start of 1998, I suppose. Maybe March or February? We don't see Bella that often in DH so it's not like the Trio meets her everyday and should have seen her pregnant. I don't see any problems with the timeline. The only thing that's weird plot-wise is that Draco seemed completely unaware of her existence. He was at Hogwarts during most of DH so maybe Delphi was born when he was at school and then they quickly gave her up for adoption to the Rowles.
She said she was born before the battle of Hogwarts. To me, when someone says that one event happened before (or after) another one it implies that they occurred closely together, within one or two months of each other. If they didn't occur closely together then why bother mentioning the one event at all in reference to the other?

"Of a sane man there can be only one safe definition: he is man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."
--G.K. Chesterton
Old August 5th, 2016, 8:35 am
Fourth Year

Agreed, that's how I saw it too. But March would be close. The Battle was in May. The Trio were captured sometime in April I think since the Gringotts theft occured May 1st. They can't have been at Bill's house longer than a couple of weeks maybe, they knew they had to get on with their plan.

Btw, why was Snape alive in the Voldemort AU? Just because Neville didn't kill Nagini doesn't mean that the whole plot line about the Elder Wand didn't occur either. I don't see how Cedric's becoming a Death Eater would affect Voldemort's search for the Elder Wand.

Old August 5th, 2016, 12:03 pm
Third Year

Yeah but the thing is if she did give birth in March or even February, most women still look pregnant for awhile after having a baby. Even the ones who don't gain that much weight, it usually takes at least a good few months before their bodies go back to normal. Even if Delphi was born one or two months before the Malfoy Manor scene took place, I still think that something about Bellatrix should've seemed different. Especially to Malfoy who for obvious reasons was more familiar with her than the trio was.

On another note, the fact that we're having to jump through hoops to even consider the possibility of this plot line making sense tells me that it's pretty weak.

--G.K. Chesterton
Old August 5th, 2016, 12:45 pm
Fourth Year

Well, the Draco not knowing thing is a bit weird but depending on when Delphi was born, he could have been at school. Or maybe he knew he had a cousin but thought Bella had it with Rod not Lord Voldemort. Since Draco doesn't say anything during Delphi's reveal, it's impossible to know what he was thinking or if he was in any surprised. And considering she was born at Malfoy Manor, her existence was hardly kept a secret. It's not like Bellatrix went away somewhere and had her and then came back. My guess is that she passed off the baby as being Rodolphus's which is how he became involved in the whole thing.

As for her body looking pregnant: I've never been pregnant myself so I wouldn't know. But considering that wizarding wear consists of rather loose robes, it's not a stretch to me that at least the Trio (considering the pressure they were under) would not have noticed that she looked fatter than usual. I wouldn't call it a plot hole since it is possible to make it work with the books. Still, I would have liked to be told in the script what month she was born so that we could make sense of it. Maybe it will be in the definitive version that comes out next year.

Old August 5th, 2016, 3:07 pm
First Year

I loved it. There were parts that I didn't love but overall I thought it was well done and despite wanting to savor it I didn't want to put it down so ended up reading it in a day.

It's funny, I expected everyone to be talking a lot more about Cedric.

I didn't really have much of an issue with Delphi. My immediate thought was that it seemed extremely out of character for Voldemort, but I got over it mostly. It's possible if you stretch your imagination some, I guess.

But Cedric...I refuse to believe that part to be canon. It's crazy that he would've become a death eater and a murderer because he got humiliated over a tournament.

It's an insult to his memory. It takes away the significance of an innocent boy being killed by Voldemort because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It diminishes Dumbledore's brilliant speech at the end of term speech.

Okay, so it was an alternative reality, but still...it wasn't like "Cedric became a different person because x, y and z were different". It was just humiliation over a tournament that did it, apparently. I know the tournament was a huge thing but you have to be a really bad or a really unstable person to become a death eater over it. Completely out of character. The thing about Cedric was that he was a good person who valued Hufflepuff qualities and didn't deserve to be killed - which I guess explains why they decided to switch it up in the alternative reality...

I also don't get why they needed to humiliate him. I thought they were going to time travel back to the graveyard before Cedric got killed (there was a brief time before Wormtail came) or to the maze before he touched the cup. Cedric was already determined to let Harry win anyway, so it would've been easy surely to convince him not to take the cup with Harry.

Was it like that deep down they wanted to humiliate him like they've been humiliated themselves, and that blinded them to what the obvious answer to save Cedric was? Like people who are bullied becoming bullies themselves...

Old August 5th, 2016, 3:40 pm
Curse Breaker

The Cedric thing feels bonkers. But I will say that in that case, he has a lot more of his father in him than we realized. His father has a lot of pride, some of it justified, some of it not. If Amos had been humiliated in that way, I can see him becoming unhinged. Is it possible that the look at Cedric problematized is another referendum on Severus? He has plenty of fans and plenty of folks who aren't his fans who respect both his pain and what he went through to try to atone for his sins. But, there's still a sizeable chunk of the fanbase that see his choice as unforgivable. If Cedric can be sent down a horrific dark path through a similar humiliation, maybe Severus' arc looks more grounded? Still don't buy it. Plus, Delphi has to look like TM Riddle's daughter, not Voldemort's. And she does a good job of that in several places.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old August 5th, 2016, 3:52 pm
Second Year

I did not love this version.

Not enough character development at all. I get it's a play, but there was nothing leading in showing why Albus and Harry had such a strained relationship. I have 3 kids (Boy, boy, girl). It is not hard to fathom (because any kid who is a middle child seems to go through some angst about it), that Harry would be closer to his first born son, Ginny and daughter would have had a close relationship, and Albus would have felt like the odd one out. I just wish they would have shown that as a struggle for years prior, and not just standing on Platform 9 3/4. (Simple scenes, like Harry and James playing Quidditch while Albus looks on...)

The time travel thing bugs me, only because I think WHY doesn't anyone think to go back far enough to do something to Tom Riddle before he became Voldemort (yes, I know for literary purposes it would kill the entire story, lol). I guess for me, the whole time travel thing just doesn't play out well.

I am glad I read it, I loved the Scorpius character. I loved that he was a geek and wasn't afraid to embrace it. I loved that Snape and Hagrid had parts.

A little too far fetched for the overall story, even in a world full of magic.

Yet, here I am, at work, seeking out what other think so I can talk about it!

Old August 5th, 2016, 11:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I had said I would not post anything here, couldnt help myself.Had to, in the name of tradition,have my say . I did not hate it...thought I would , but did not.There is a part I cannot , cannot agree with,it is is simply impossible, out of character, if the character is what I learned of him during so many years. But character development, except for the big one, I liked,it felt right in so many ways, I could connect with the characters once more.The sorting made so much sense feelings being what they were, and the plot, could have been so much more.But being the mess it is, I did not find it as despicable as I thought I would.When I spoiled myself I thought I could vomit.But things being what they are, I found myself enjoying it plenty.Will I consider it canon ? Most parts I will be able to , just some details, I cannot.Ever. OWLS standard, Acceptable, except for that part, which is absurd.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy

Last edited by Montse; August 5th, 2016 at 11:20 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies