Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Harry Potter Merchandise

Old April 9th, 2010, 12:09 pm
Second Year

Wands and Other Collectibles

Howdy Pards,

Well, I reckon I'm kinda curious. How many of us own one or more of the collectible wands or other collectibles from the world of Harry Potter?

Within two feet of me as I type this are replicas of Harry, Ron and Hermione's wands, Dumbledore's wand, and a Harry Potter wand with the light up tip. There is also that Gryffindor/Hogwarts Pewter Mug within two feet of me as I type this.

In general I have been VERY pleased with the quality of these products... and I feel they are a wonderful way to celebrate the Harry Potter experience.

Now, Dumbledore's Wand, the Mug, and the Harry Potter light up wand arrived magically by UPS just yesterday. I've crossed the 60 year mark, pards, and I have to tell ya it felt like Christmas long, long ago. I couldn't wait for it to get dark last night just so I could wave that wand, say "Lumos! and have it light up the room magically!

So...I know I am not the first, or the only one to start collecting these things. I'm wondering...

1). What Harry Potter collectibles do you have?

2). Are you happy with the quality of the wands and other collectibles?

3). How and Why did you start your collection?

4). What's the next Harry Potter item you want to collect, if any? And why?

5). Do you have one item that stands out as your favorite Harry Potter
collectible?

Let's hear from you. Do you feel the magic in collecting things from the wonderful world of Harry Potter?

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

"I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn.
I can see the campfire smokin' at the breakin' of the dawn.
I can hear the broncos neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing
I'd like to be in Texas for the roundup in the spring."

I've been proudly sorted into Gryffindor!!!

Last edited by WildOldDan; April 9th, 2010 at 2:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2010, 2:06 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Wands and Other Collectibles

A bunch! I have the Maurader's Map, a map of Diagon Alley, Lucius Malfoy's walking stick, the Dumbledore's Army Wand Collection, Weasley Wand Collection, Voldemort's wand, and Hogwarts bookmarks.

Yes, they are brilliant. Couldn't have asked for better.

I'd been drooling over the noble collection, so I pretty much asked for Harry Potter collectibles for my birthday and Christmas, and the result was all the things listed above.

Hmmm... My own wand from the theme park. Pretty much all the theme park merchendise.

collectible?

I really like the Dumbledore's Army wand collection.

Old April 9th, 2010, 2:52 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Harry Potter Merchandise

I have a lot. I have Snape's wand, hermione's wand, Sirius's wand, the Marauders Map, the Time Turner, The prophecy, House pins, and a gryffindor pen all from Noble Collection.

Yes. The quality is very good and the wands are pretty sturdy unless you drop them repeatedly.

I think it was the Goblet of Fire DVD?? I bought it and there was a mini catalog for Noble Collection in it. My aunt got me hermione's wand for Christmas and the collection grows every Christmas.(and sometimes bday)

I would love Lupin's wand because he is my favorite character behind Harry and Sirius. I have their wands already so I want Lupin's.

collectible?

I really like all of them but I would say the Marauder's Map and any of the wands are the coolest. The designs on the wands are so elaborate and nice.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old April 9th, 2010, 2:53 pm
Second Year

Hey WildOldDan,

1. The list is massive for this question, every piece so far has been sourced either within country or overseas, but I'll try to think of everything I have:

Several HP wands(unfortunately generic ones I've picked up at Borders mainly)
A plastic snitch(given to me as a prize at a DH release party I was at in '07)
Small figurines of the Trio(again purchased at Borders)
A copy of the Marauders Map(it came with the trio figures)
2 Time Turners(one which I got given, the other came with a copy of the HP Chess magazine which I don't seem to collect anymore)
A floating wand pen(also came with the HP Chess magazine)
A house arms pen which changes between Gryffindor and Slytherin
Plenty of the film tie in books, such as the Half-Blood Prince 2009 annual, OOTP poster book and so on
2 Hedwig dolls(one I picked up at Borders, the second I was given as a gift by my parents when they visited Warner Bros MovieWorld over in Australia in 2003)
All of the film calenders from POA onwards
2 OOTP film posters
7 copies of PS/SS book(UK and US editions only)
6 COS
5 POA
5 GOF
5 OOTP
6 HBP
5 DH
UK Tales of Beedle the Bard
UK Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them
Copies of Mugglenet.com's What Will Happen in HP 7 and Harry Potter Should've Died
3 copies of Harry, A History by TLC webmiss Melissa Anelli(the US, UK and Australian editions. This and the above books by Emerson Spartz and Ben Schoen are not technically HP collectables. Melissa has interviewed many involved with HP, including Jo, for her book. So I like to count H, AH as one)
All 6 films so far on DVD along with their soundtracks and video games on either PC or Wii
A PS/SS film jigsaw puzzle and sticker book
Golden Snitch diary(I sadly lost the pen that came with it).
Lots of signed photos from Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, none from Rupert Grint.
3 from Evanna Lynch(2 came within weeks of each other for some reason, I think the Leavesden mail room staff must've made a mistake or something)
1 personally signed photo and letter from Katie Leung, which I cherish and I was lucky to get it cause it had to be transferred to where I was living at the time since I had moved north with my family.

Basically that's all I can think off the top of my head right now.

2. I'm pretty pleased with the condition of my books and such. I keep them as nice as I can, meaning that people can only read the celebratory editions of the books as well as being careful with the DVDs and not really touch anything else on my bookshelves without me knowing.

3. I started collecting properly in 2004, when I bought much of the tie in books released in conjunction with the POA movie as well as the small calender that came out about the same time. I already had the first 2 films on DVD and a copy of the UK kids OOTP.
That same year I ordered a copy of the UK kids GOF in hardback(the soft cover copy I got given as a 16th birthday present from an aunt ended up pretty beaten up)and the bug bit right then.
I have been a huge fan of the both the books and films and I guess it started from there. Also I love in a pretty out of the way country(New Zealand)and I felt like I was missing out, so I've been trying to get my hands on as much as I possiby can within my reach.

4. Well, I'm collecting the US Library editions of the books right now, with a specially ordered copy of COS waiting for me at a bookstore I frequent and I'll order GOF next month(PS/SS and POA I already have, POA I found in a bookstore while I was on holiday to my hometown over Christmas last year which was an utter fluke considering I used to live in a small city not known for its HP fans).
I'll get the others throughout the rest of the year.
Also I'll get all the DH tie in stuff(the book about the films makes me drool)and the celebratory edition of the book(those are UK ones and they come out when the films do, they have stars on the cover).

5. I really couldn't pick one, but if I had to, it would have to be the UK collectors edition of Deathly Hallows. The blackness, gold fringed pages, the picture and signature on the front cover send shivers down my spine everytime I pull it out and admire it. Just knowing it's a first edition of the last book(along with the other 4 editions I have)makes me quiver.

Forgive the long post, I hope it covers everything.

Feedback

Vote here for who you think should be the next UK Minister for Magic.

Hermione/Neville for MOM '08!!!
Commitment, Competence, Compassion! (our spotlight thread)
Old April 9th, 2010, 6:42 pm
Second Year

Howdy Pards,

Thanks for the responses so far. I'd say from what I am reading that most
everybody is more than pleased with their Harry Potter stuff. Let's see if we
get any additional reports...

Wild Ol' Dan

Old April 9th, 2010, 8:56 pm
Fifth Year

I really dont have many. I have a Gryffindor tie i got from a Halloween store for last years costume. I have a Slytherin hoodie that i love. A Prophecy bookmark i got with my OotP DVD, and really thats about it. The wand i have isnt a potter product.

I havent really seen the wands and stuff in person. I would really like some of those though. I am gonna ask for Snape's wand for Christmas this year.

Since my collection really shouldnt be considered as such, im still in the process of starting one. Why? Cuz i dig HP stuff!

Snape's wand is the one thing i really want the most. Hes my favorite character so i want his wand! I also would like some Slytherin stuff.

collectible?
Not yet.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
I really dont have many. I have a Gryffindor tie i got from a Halloween store for last years costume. I have a Slytherin hoodie that i love. A Prophecy bookmark i got with my OotP DVD, and really thats about it. The wand i have isnt a potter product.

I havent really seen the wands and stuff in person. I would really like some of those though. I am gonna ask for Snape's wand for Christmas this year.

Since my collection really shouldnt be considered as such, im still in the process of starting one. Why? Cuz i dig HP stuff!

Snape's wand is the one thing i really want the most. Hes my favorite character so i want his wand! I also would like some Slytherin stuff.

collectible?
Not yet.
Howdy Slartibartfast,

Professor Snape's wand does indeed look like a collector's item worth having...

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

You know the collector's item I'm hopin' for next? The Invisibility Cloak! I
don't care how much it costs...I've always wanted one of those!

Wild Ol' Dan

Old April 10th, 2010, 5:17 am
Fourth Year

Snape's wand really is awesome. I have it. It's a good length because it's not extremely long like some of the other wands. It's also comfortable in your hand. I like that wand a lot.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old April 10th, 2010, 5:23 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I won't mention the bookstore I was in today, but as I was walking up to the Cashier I noticed small HP boxes; one was Hermione's Time Turner. Of course I HAD to have it! Much, much cheaper than the Noble one. (Yeah, in addition to being inexpensive, it's cheap.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old April 11th, 2010, 1:55 am
Second Year

Howdy Pards,

Lookin' for ways to display these wands...I found this...

And this...

Reviews of these items have been very positive. Do any of you own these display stands?

Wild Ol' Dan

Old April 11th, 2010, 5:26 am
First Year

some of them in the noble are really cool. expensive but cool

Old April 14th, 2010, 4:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teghan9559 View Post
some of them in the noble are really cool. expensive but cool
Howdy Teghan9559,

I have to agree on both points..."expensive but cool."

Generally I have heard of no disappointments related to the quality of items available from the Noble collection. And, some of those items do indeed capture the imagination...

Wild Ol' Dan

Old April 16th, 2010, 4:41 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOldDan View Post
Howdy Pards,

Lookin' for ways to display these wands...I found this...

And this...

Reviews of these items have been very positive. Do any of you own these display stands?

Wild Ol' Dan
I have the second display stands. The first one didn't come out until after I had purchased my wands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
I won't mention the bookstore I was in today, but as I was walking up to the Cashier I noticed small HP boxes; one was Hermione's Time Turner. Of course I HAD to have it! Much, much cheaper than the Noble one. (Yeah, in addition to being inexpensive, it's cheap.
I have the Time-Turner as well and the Golden Snitch too. I also have the Time-Turner from the Noble Collection as well.

I have the Harry Potter wand with the lightened tip and Voldemort's wand, with the Harry Potter stand. I also have the Time-Turner as well from the Noble collection. I have way too many to name, so I don't really feel the taking the time to list them at the moment.

Sure, the wands from the Noble collection are great.

Well I started getting stuff when Sorcerer's Stone came out in 2001, but I hadn't thought about starting a collection until the release of Prisoner of Azkaban. That's when I started collection the action figures from the movies, and since then it started evolving into basically anything I could lay my hands on. I have things ranging from posters to books, action figures to lunchboxes, calendars to birthday cards. Like I said before the list goes on.

I've been working on collecting the British versions of the books, so that's my main priority, but I'd really like to have the Mirror of Erised, Dobby's statue, and the Marauder's Map from the Noble Collection. Also, the Monster Book of Monsters plush.

5). Do you have one item that stands out as your favorite Harry Potter collectible?
I'd have to say anything that's of an original drawing of Harry, you know like some based on Mary Grandpre's work, not from the movies. Those are really hard to come by now. The one thing that comes to mind though, is this table top figurine I have of Harry. He's standing on a mount, holding his wand up in the air. It was really by chance that I found him. It was around Christmas time, and there was this box shoved behind some ornaments, I don't know what drew me to it, but it was by mere luck. The first one I found, he was broken. His arm was missing, and his leg was cracked. By down on the bottom shelf hidden behind some fake christmas tree wrappings you make reefs out of, was another one. I was lucky I searched the whole shelf hoping to find another.

Let's hear from you. Do you feel the magic in collecting things from the wonderful world of Harry Potter?
Yes, it's a great joy looking around my room and knowing that I was part of something great. Something that's soon about to end, these objects that clutter my room and take up all the space in my closet with remind of the happy memories Harry has brought me, and continuing the joy I feel whenever I pick up the series and read it again.

If your really interested, here's some old pictures of my room:
Spoiler: show

This one actually has the box with my figure I mentioned earlier.

My room doesn't actually look like this anymore though. I've taken down a lot of the little stuff, I've framed all my Potter posters. I should update what it looks like now.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....

Last edited by xhanax315; April 16th, 2010 at 4:52 am.
Old April 20th, 2010, 3:50 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I have the second display stands. The first one didn't come out until after I had purchased my wands.

I have the Time-Turner as well and the Golden Snitch too. I also have the Time-Turner from the Noble Collection as well.

I have the Harry Potter wand with the lightened tip and Voldemort's wand, with the Harry Potter stand. I also have the Time-Turner as well from the Noble collection. I have way too many to name, so I don't really feel the taking the time to list them at the moment.

Sure, the wands from the Noble collection are great.

Well I started getting stuff when Sorcerer's Stone came out in 2001, but I hadn't thought about starting a collection until the release of Prisoner of Azkaban. That's when I started collection the action figures from the movies, and since then it started evolving into basically anything I could lay my hands on. I have things ranging from posters to books, action figures to lunchboxes, calendars to birthday cards. Like I said before the list goes on.

I've been working on collecting the British versions of the books, so that's my main priority, but I'd really like to have the Mirror of Erised, Dobby's statue, and the Marauder's Map from the Noble Collection. Also, the Monster Book of Monsters plush.

5). Do you have one item that stands out as your favorite Harry Potter collectible?
I'd have to say anything that's of an original drawing of Harry, you know like some based on Mary Grandpre's work, not from the movies. Those are really hard to come by now. The one thing that comes to mind though, is this table top figurine I have of Harry. He's standing on a mount, holding his wand up in the air. It was really by chance that I found him. It was around Christmas time, and there was this box shoved behind some ornaments, I don't know what drew me to it, but it was by mere luck. The first one I found, he was broken. His arm was missing, and his leg was cracked. By down on the bottom shelf hidden behind some fake christmas tree wrappings you make reefs out of, was another one. I was lucky I searched the whole shelf hoping to find another.

Yes, it's a great joy looking around my room and knowing that I was part of something great. Something that's soon about to end, these objects that clutter my room and take up all the space in my closet with remind of the happy memories Harry has brought me, and continuing the joy I feel whenever I pick up the series and read it again.

If your really interested, here's some old pictures of my room:

This one actually has the box with my figure I mentioned earlier.

My room doesn't actually look like this anymore though. I've taken down a lot of the little stuff, I've framed all my Potter posters. I should update what it looks like now.
Howdy Xhanax315,

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos of your collection. Whatever you do don't EVER throw anything away!!! I speak from experience.

Truly terrifying legends have grown from Mom's cleaning the rooms of their children! Valuable collectibles have been lost forever in the twinkling of an eye! Some Moms have been known to look upon treasure and see nothing but junk... when they get into the "mood" they can be downright dangerous when "cleaning"... Guard your collection well...

And trust me if you protect them these things will give you joy throughout your life...they will increase in value with each passing year...and they will bring back wonderful memories...and a thing called happiness...

When I look way, way back at the days of my youth, back in the days when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I cannot believe the things that simply vanished like a fading cloud when I turned my back. Some collectible cards that cost next to nothing in the long ago days of my youth are now worth a small fortune.

So far...the quality of Harry Potter collectibles has been head and shoulders above other movie collectibles...and, yes, I believe we have the Noble Collection to thank for that...

I envy the many photos and posters and other items in your collection... and, again, thank you for sharing these photos with us. It truly is a wonderful collection...that will bring you years of happiness and years of memories.

Wild Ol' Dan

Last edited by WildOldDan; April 20th, 2010 at 3:55 am.
Old April 20th, 2010, 4:04 am
First Year

I quite agree with Dan. Keep it and guard it from "accidental" cleaning that results in trashing your memories. I still remember having some ammo belts and canteens as a kid that my great uncles brought home from WW2. Not knowing any better I played war with them alot but once I got older and realized what I really had, I saved them and packed them away. My first wife threw them out cleaning up my "stuff".

Old April 20th, 2010, 4:26 am
Fifth Year

I agree as well. In many years, some of those magazine covers featuring the movies will bring back memories of waiting for the movies/books. Even now I wish I had saved some of that kind of stuff from when the books and the early films were coming out, since I have nothing but memories left that will fade away.

Which is why I've taken to writing all my Potter memories in a journal!

Old April 22nd, 2010, 2:00 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley9 View Post
I agree as well. In many years, some of those magazine covers featuring the movies will bring back memories of waiting for the movies/books. Even now I wish I had saved some of that kind of stuff from when the books and the early films were coming out, since I have nothing but memories left that will fade away.

Which is why I've taken to writing all my Potter memories in a journal!
Howdy Weasley9,

What a great idea! Keeping a Harry Potter journal complete with dates and such. As I said earlier when I order things from the WB shop or from Noble...waiting for it to arrive has been much the same as waiting for Christmas Mornin' long years ago. I have yet to be disappointed. Recording memories like that in a personal Harry Potter journal will be a delight to review in the years ahead. Thanks Weasley9!

Wild Ol' Dan

Last edited by WildOldDan; April 22nd, 2010 at 2:14 pm.
Old April 25th, 2010, 9:01 pm
Second Year

Howdy Pards,

I just added this Wall Display to my collection along with one featuring Harry and one featuring Hermione. To the best of my knowledge they have yet to make one featuring Ron...but, they do have one featuring Voldemort as well.

Makes a very nice display...

Wild Ol' Dan

Old April 25th, 2010, 9:49 pm
First Year

I've always been a sucker for plush toys, and when I found this plush version of the Monster Book of Monsters, I immediately wanted it:

It is out of stock everywhere, though. Does anyone happen to know where to find it?

"I must say Horace you make a very convincing armchair." - Dumbledore
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Dawlish View Post
I've always been a sucker for plush toys, and when I found this plush version of the Monster Book of Monsters, I immediately wanted it:

It is out of stock everywhere, though. Does anyone happen to know where to find it?
Howdy John_Dawlish,

I believe you are in luck if you live near the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter...in the Ellen video there is a display in one of the stores of the Monster Book of Monsters inside a solid steel cage. There should be exactly what you are looking for there.

In addition, you might try the WBshop.com...they currently show this item for just $19.99...a wonderful deal... and it appears to be IN STOCK.

Good Luck...and be careful with this critter.

Wild Ol' Dan

Last edited by WildOldDan; April 26th, 2010 at 12:54 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak