Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Creating movie accurate costumes

Old September 5th, 2008, 9:36 pm
Second Year

Re: Creating a movie accurate costume

Quote:
Does this mean that the Voldemort costume is actually quite green?
Yep, apparently so. In the Jason Issacs gallary side mentioned above there are some links to various behind the scenes TV programs - I've not seen them all, but in one I'm pretty sure I heard them mention that they deliberately went with green even though they knew it wouldn't show up like that in the film.

Quote:
Will you keep it as green, even though the muted lights on set during filming turned it kind of a nblack colour?
That's a very good question. I'd need to run it past our clearance team as it's one of those instances where staying movie accurate could be interpreted either way - accurate to the movie costume itself, or accurate to the way everyone saw it on film.

I suspect I'd go with keeping it as close to how the actual costume looks as you do get to see flashes of the green in the films (just not as light as it looks in daylight), and it's possible that as Voldemort appears more in the later films he'll appear in more and more brightly lit scenes / battles.

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2008, 9:46 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
I'd go with keeping it as close to how the actual costume looks as you do get to see flashes of the green in the films (just not as light as it looks in daylight), and it's possible that as Voldemort appears more in the later films he'll appear in more and more brightly lit scenes / battles.
Now that's a good point. I always thought that it did look somehow dingier than the other costumes on screen. It being green does explain that! It's actually one of my favourite costumes. Did you work out what shoes go with that one?!

THE DUCK.

Old September 7th, 2008, 9:42 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Did you work out what shoes go with that one?!
Got a close match for the Death Eaters but although I've got a pic, they no longer seem to be in stock..... but that's only a small hurdle

I've not had a detailed look yet at the Voldemort costume (that's next on my to-do list) as I need to reallt try and suss out the prothetics side of things, but I did spot something interesting earlier today.

Initially, I did wonder if Voldemort did actually wear any boots / shoes at all. I know that might sound a bit odd, but the last scene I really looked at was the graveyard scene in GoF, and in that of course he's resurected and *I think* doesn't have any shoes on..... I need to have a better look at some point to make sure.

However, in OOtP he does have boots on - it's not a very clear shot, but if you look at the scene where he shatters all of the glass you can see them briefly. Surprisingly, the don't seem to look right with the rest of his costume. He's got that wonderful flowing robe, and yet the boots seem very bland - almost doc martinish... very odd. Still, like I say, it was only a flying look this morning so I need to have a much better look to see what they really look like.

On a slightly different topic. A plea for help....

I don't suppose anyone on here might have any contacts at WB, or Levesdon, or within the costuming dept?

I'm having a right job trying to get ref pics and fabric info for a couple of key bits of the costumes..... I know it's a longshot (and don't want to dilute this thread too much by going off topic) but if anyone does would you mind dropping me a PM please?

Thanks

Old September 12th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Winning Teamster

Wow.... you really have a tricky task....

How on earth are you going to get Voldemort's nose right, if the film people did this by CGI? In some of the behind the scenes shots you can clearly see the reference dots on Ralph Fiennes's forehead and nose, and it's clear that he wore partial makeup and they sorted out V's face in post production..... There simply isn't a way of creating the same effect with prosthetics, otherwise they'd surely have done that, since prosthetics almost have to be cheaper... changing a face convincingly with CGI is clearly possible, but it looks like a lot of work, so there has to be a pretty serious incentive to go down that route, I'd think....

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old September 12th, 2008, 9:29 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
I've not had a detailed look yet at the Voldemort costume (that's next on my to-do list) as I need to reallt try and suss out the prothetics side of things, but I did spot something interesting earlier today.
Any new updates on the prosthetics thing? I asked some of my theatre friends, but they figured that it would be really hard to pull this one, particularly, off. Apparently, one or two of them have tried!

Quote:
However, in OOtP he does have boots on - it's not a very clear shot, but if you look at the scene where he shatters all of the glass you can see them briefly. Surprisingly, the don't seem to look right with the rest of his costume. He's got that wonderful flowing robe, and yet the boots seem very bland - almost doc martinish... very odd. Still, like I say, it was only a flying look this morning so I need to have a much better look to see what they really look like.
That's an interesting one. Heavy boots? I'd be rather disappointed... Did you have another look in the 5 days since you posted this that I've been run off my feet elsewhere? Seems an odd costuming choice. Mind you, since his feet are rarely ever seen, perhaps this was just a comfort factor? Things do happen like that occasionally.

Quote:
On a slightly different topic. A plea for help....

I don't suppose anyone on here might have any contacts at WB, or Levesdon, or within the costuming dept?

I'm having a right job trying to get ref pics and fabric info for a couple of key bits of the costumes..... I know it's a longshot (and don't want to dilute this thread too much by going off topic) but if anyone does would you mind dropping me a PM please?
I'm so sorry! I don't, and I checked with others and they don't either!

THE DUCK.

Old September 16th, 2008, 12:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
How on earth are you going to get Voldemort's nose right, if the film people did this by CGI? There simply isn't a way of creating the same effect with prosthetics,
Quote:
Any new updates on the prosthetics thing?
Hi Guys,

Sorry, been a bit manic of late so not had a chance to get on her - still, I'm here now!

Klio - you're dead right - they did indeed remove the end of his nose with CGI - let's just say that I'm not going to go quite as far as trimming the end of my nose off!

Klio / Vampiricduck:
In answer to both of your questions I can probably best answer them with the following.

Yep, I've made a bit of headway. I've registered on a special effects forum where the guys are helping get me to grips with the basics, and I've also registered to be a model for Neill Gorton who I believe is one of the UK's leading special FX articles (he did work on the Dr Who series, etc) - it's only a weekend course, and might not cover exactly what I need for the purpose of recreating Voldemort, but I'm sure I'll learn a shed load of things anyway so I'm looking forward to that - sadly though it's not until early next year which doesn't give me long before the film is released.

I've also found the following which is pretty close - http://www.screamteam.com/newpage/gaunt.htm
(and a person on the FX's Forum also suggested the same item)

It's not a perfect match (i.e. the eye brow ridge, and the nose needs softening as they are both too pointy.... but it's very close. The question is... would it be close enough ) I guess I won't know the answer to that without trying it.

I also need to source some teeth, and I think the hands will also need some work as his fingers are quite boney.

..... and I'm having to be really disciplined on this one as I'm having to resist the urge to get things like the wand, etc until I know if I can defaintely pull off the prothetics.

So there you go - that's the latest.

On my todo list this week:

1) Still trying to make contact with someone at WB or the costume dept. The WB customer services team have been really helpful at providing me with various contact details, but sadly the contacts themselves haven't replied yet - I just keep telling myself it's because they're really busy.

Anyway - if *ANYONE* might have any contacts at WB, Levesdon, or any other way of making contact with the costume / makeup depts please, please, please [he said on bended knees!] would you be able to drop me a PM? I really would be extremely grateful.

Last edited by Kessa; September 16th, 2008 at 12:56 pm.
Old September 16th, 2008, 4:50 pm
Qvack...

All I can say is that your dedication astounds me. Well done, that all sounds wonderful! Definitely no contacts from me, sadly! But if you need anything else, you can owl me or leave me a message here, and I'll see what I can do.

Which is very little, from here, but this intrigues me...

THE DUCK.

Old September 17th, 2008, 10:58 am
Second Year

Quote:
All I can say is that your dedication astounds me
Ah, thanks - sometimes it just baffles me I do wonder sometimes what I'm getting myself into!

I'll continue to post up updates as I have anything which might be of interest.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:13 pm
Seventh Year

wow that sounds really exciting I love the whole costume aspects of film and theatre...so exciting

I think it is going to be very hard to create something that is as you want, very close to the movies....rememeber the costume cast have spent a while making these costumes....and not to mention can you imagine how much it is going to cost them? Voldemorts cloak is layers and layers and layers of black silk (which isn't the most cheapest of fabrics really especially as you'll need a lot) which gives it that floaty, light look....nd of course if you are going to use a alternative fabric you need one that has the same qualities as the silk..so it is light and moves easily otherwise you'll find yourself dragging around a heavy weight... ...this is of course if you are basing it on GOF costume here

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old September 29th, 2008, 1:07 pm
Second Year

Yep, you're right - it's defaintely going to be tricky - especially seing that the only sewing skills I've had until now is how to sew on a button!

Apparently they used over 50m of silk for the films so I guess the big challange will be seing how much I need to achieve a similar look and flow.

Just as a point of interest, it looks like they actually used a green silk for the costume although it does indeed look black in the film in some shots:

It looks like a fairly simple design (to my very untrained eye) but at the moment I'm trying to find a pattern that I might be able to use - anyone got any ideas?

Also, and here's a biggie........
Does anyone recognise these boots

..... in the whole film Voldemort's boots are only seen once and this is the best grab I've been able to find of them - any ideas what they might be?

I'm making a wild stab at green suede or something similar - they just don't seem to be reflecting the light in the way that leather might and they don't seem to have a very defined shape, but that's just a guess.

Last edited by Kessa; September 29th, 2008 at 3:08 pm.
Old October 17th, 2008, 2:48 pm
Second Year

Hi All,

It's been a little while since I last posted so I thought I'd provide a quick update.

Regarding my post about about the boots, I'm still on the hunt to find out exactly what they used and what they really looked like, but in the mean time I have found a close approximation to the type of style I thought it might have been so I thought I'd share

(Apparently these are "Damask gaiter boots, c.1830")

OK, so they're not the ones used, but in terms of shape and fabric they're the kind of thing which I felt that the movie ones resembled. If anyone has any ideas of where I might be able to find some (non c1830's) ones, or somewhere that might be able to custom make some (preferably UK based) then could you please let me know - thanks

Other updates include:
Wand: got one now. I was going to wait, but figured what the hell!

Prothetics: Research coming along nicely. Got tonnes of reference pics, and starting to learn about the process. Going to have a lifecast made in early November so that I can start working on the head. The only downside is that I've also since realised that I think I'm going to also need to add a prothetic layer for my hands / arms too as Voldemort doesn't have any arm hair (not that I'm a gorilla - but he seems to be completely smooth) or freckles and I don't think makeup alone will cover it. Plus I was going to have to do the hands anyway to replicate his bony fingers and grim looking fingernails.

Eyes:
Hopefully sorting out some custom coloured contacts in the next few days.

Teeth:
Just about ready to start making these - really looking forward to it as it will be the first time I've made any kind of prosthetic and it looks like a good place to start.

Clothes:
Still no movement on this part at the mo as I'm waiting for the end of the month to try and have a chat with someone from the costume team - wish me luck!

Well, there you have it - more updates in a few weeks hopefully.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:35 am
Second Year

Update:

Well, as promised, here's another updated in case anyone is interested

I had my lifecast done on Saturday - what a bizarre (but pleasant) experience!

I won't bore you all with the details (unless you want me to) but basically it involved a couple of hours sitting very still whilst being covered with various substances including a silicon substance known as "body double" and then having plaster bandages (mod rock) applied to that.

Whilst the images might look a bit scary for anyone suffering from Claustrophobia it's actually not that bad - the key thing is to only have it done by someone who knows what they are doing!!! You're completely in their hands so you need to be able to trust them and know what they are doing (which thankfully the friends who did mine, did)

Anyway, I thought I'd share a couple of pics from key steps in the progess (I won't bore you with the whole set but I might try to put a post up on my site at some point showing the whole process from start of the costume to completion when it's done)

Me with the completed "body double" silicon applied front and back (the back is being mod rocked at this point)

The completed head - yes, that's me still inside and just waiting for the plaster to set (so my friend's kids decided to have some fun and draw a face on it whilst we were waiting - I wondered what the little darlins were up to!).

Imagine it as having a facial - it's a bit like that.

So, that's were I'm at so far. Hopefully I should get the completed lifecast back in a couple of weeks so then I can start sculpting Voldemort's face onto it

Old November 12th, 2008, 12:36 am
First Year

I had a mask made and a cloak done.
Currently my friend is doing me a tunic and i've got some flax black linen trousers, so all i need now is some boots...

Death eaters look immense.

Halloween death-eater costume 2009.
Image 2009 A.M.
Old November 12th, 2008, 2:05 am
Qvack...

Kessa,

I haven't been to this thread in ages, but I have to say, the updates look fantastic! I had a good long hard look for the boots, or even something like them, but I can't find them anywhere- and nor could my costume buddies associate them with anything we have ever worked with, even on a professional level. Which is a pity, but I did make some calls! (, I've always wanted to say that!!)

The lifecast looks great so far- and I know now how dedicated you are and how far you are willing to go for this! ! I know that it will look fantastic. Have you worked out a plan for sculpting on the face as you wish it to be?

I hope you keep us updated!

~vduck

THE DUCK.

Old November 12th, 2008, 10:58 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Kessa

Wow!! The work you're doing is awesome!! I just dropped by into this thread, and I loved all the intricate details you look into. Congrats and keep them coming

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 12th, 2008, 3:51 pm
Second Year

Ah, thanks guys :-)

Quote:
I've got some flax black linen trousers
Cool, I love the mask. Is that one you made from scratch?

Just a quickie regarding the trousers, I had a chat recently with a couple of lovely people at HP films and I don't know what I can / can't divulge yet (I need to check with them so I don't put my foot in it!)... but I don't think they will mind me sharing this in case it helps......

.....apparently in the film Lucius' trousers were "Navy linen".

I don't know about anyone else but that was a surprise to me. (I love finding stuff like this out ) Anyway, I suspect they must have been a very dark navy, but it's interesting because even in "behind the scene" pics they look black to me.

Actually, that raised an interested dilema for me ....because, as a costumer do I:
a) replicate the "actual" costume
or
b) replicate what people see onscreen. (which is also further complicated by the fact that apparently in the film they also applied filters to change some of the lighting colours which further complicates things if you're trying to create a "true" recreation.)

What we've decided to do in the end (with regards to the colours only) is to tread a fine line between the two, with a lot of the focus actually being on making sure like the contrast between colours is correct - that way, hopefully it will remain true regardless of the lighting. All of the rest of the costume will continue to be as faithful to the original as possible.

Quote:
Which is a pity, but I did make some calls! (, I've always wanted to say that!!)
Ah, thanks :-)

Quote:
Have you worked out a plan for sculpting on the face as you wish it to be?
I've started gathering in all of the bits and have been thinking about this a lot. Initially I had hoped to do the lifecast with my nose held down somehow (with surgical tape for example) in order to help reduce the profile but I quickly discovered that it's actually nearly impossible to hold your nose down flat if you're not using your finger!

I'll explain - Bizarre as that sounds when you use your finger (to see what the effect of flattening your nose might be, for example) you inevitably push inwards as well as downwards. However, when you come to actually do it, things like tape just can't get the same kind of pressure because the resistance in the surrounding skin is less than the amount required in order to press in your nose, so all you end up doing is lifting whatever you've taped to! lol

Also, there are surprisingly few anchor points around the nose which are suitable - the top lip needs to be able to move, and the skin around your cheek bones also needs to stay mobile for things like expression / talking, etc.

I did try making all sorts of solid nose restraints (if you can call them that) to help with applying pressure but I still couldn't generate enough. I don't think it would be an issue if you were doing an alien mask or something where you didn't have quite so much transparency over the face, but it certainly had me stumped so I had to opt for leaving my nose "as is" and I'll have to really really carefully try and counteract as much of it as I can in the scuplting.

That in itself won't be easy as the thicker I make the mask, the less facial movement I'll have so that harder it will be to convey expressions and emotions. Blimey, I knew this was going to be a challenging project but I'm certainly learning a lot!

Well, that's about it for now - as soon as I have another update I'll share it with you all.

Kieran

Last edited by Kessa; November 12th, 2008 at 4:03 pm.
Old November 12th, 2008, 6:17 pm
First Year

Ah, that was a lucky guess then on my part lol.

The cloaks of the DE looked like creased cotton, but I got a heavy-linen cloak made (the one in the pic is a cotton one but am waiting on arrival of linen one)

The mask I had commissioned by my friend who is a professional sculptor.
Cost was reasonable as it included sculpt, mould, cast, painting, strap etc so...

Mostly I used friends who own custome business for the outfit, except the tunic my friend is doing as embroidery.
The trousers i'm having made atm in flax black linen as I said above.
The boots...hmmm...stuck on that.

Are you still pursuing the lucius death-eater outfit or just going for voldemorts instead now?

Ash

Image 2009 A.M.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
The boots...hmmm...stuck on that.
Yeah, that's definately a tricky area - I have some pics which might help but even those aren't great.

Actually, how about I create another thread for this so that we can keep the 2 costumes seperate in case someone is interested in either one in particular, and then we can all add info / resources so that the post becomes a good reference library?

Quote:
Are you still pursuing the lucius death-eater outfit or just going for voldemorts instead now?
Still got Lucius' on my "to-do" list but at the moment all of my funds are being gobbled up at a scary rate by Voldemort. Realistically I suspect Lucius may have to wait until next years bonus makes an appearance.

That said, I knew it was OK to shelve Lucius for a bit as there's another member of the costuming club that's planning on doing Lucius (we're working together on Lucius) so the aim is that we'll go out together (him as Lucius and myself as Voldemort) to really give people at events the "WOW" factor. I'm currently trying to recruit a Bellatrix.

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:30 am
First Year

Yeah, start a new thread for this and i'll try and find it lol.

If you do lucious and bellatrix i'll be general death eater, there is a photo of the one I particularly like (though if you look at the OOTP premiere photos of all the DE stood together then you will see which one I am following)

Ash

Image 2009 A.M.
Old November 13th, 2008, 3:08 pm
Second Year

Creating movie accurate costumes

Hi Guys,

Ok, so following on from my post at http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=117895 it sounds like there are a few people working on similar costumes so I thought it would be nice to try and build a dedicated reference library and place to chat about a specific costume type.

I'm keen for this to be somewhere for everyone to use (cosplayers, and costumers alike) but so that we have the best quality information available I thought it would be good to set two general rules.....

1) If you're discussing a costume, please mention which film (or scene if there are several outfits for that character in the same film) you're refering to.
2) If you're discussing a costume, please try to focus on making it as "movie accurate" as possible.

There's nothing to stop someone taking info from this, and making a simpler version (and let's be honest - the cost implications alone will mean this will be the normal route for many understandably)... but I'd like to try and avoid the thread to become diluted with comments like "why not just wear a black cape?", or "why not just wear a bold cap and some white face paint?"

Other than that, enjoy!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies