Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Creating movie accurate costumes

Old July 1st, 2010, 2:41 am
Triple Threat in Third Place

Re: Creating movie accurate costumes

Kessa...awesome work! Love the detail you put into everything. What an artist!

I have heard mention on several threads here of a person that goes by the name of dream_silently on this forum...

http://www.harrypotterforum.com/comm...&page=1#Item_0

He has said that he works in the art department of the HP Studios (Leavesden). Some people aren't sure if this is true or not, but it might not hurt to try and get in touch with this person, possibly from the forum mentioned above. He may have pics or things that can help you with your work.

Can't vouch for this person, but you never know!

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:43 am
Second Year

Thanks both

Ironically, I'm not actually a very arty person at all so it's nice to get such nice feedback I am quite analytical though and have very good eye for detail so I guess it's that which is showing through

Gottriplets - Oh, that's interesting! Thanks! I'll have a read of that post later (at work at the mo) and drop them a PM

Old July 1st, 2010, 1:34 pm
Second Year

You know, I've been tracking this thread for quite some time already, and I must say (since I didn't voice out my opinion well before) that you are a really brilliant artist! We need more people like you in the world, attention to detail and all. I was really amazed when I saw that cast thing, so awesome! I could never do something like that!

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Old July 7th, 2010, 12:21 pm
Second Year

Wow, that's very kind of you - thanks

Quote:
I could never do something like that!
Of course you could!
I'm not arty... but it's just a question of taking your time, and doing loads of research.... and I've got an amazing DVD by a chap called Neill Gorton (he's probably best known for creating the alients, etc in "Dr Who" but has done loads of movies including "Saving Private Ryan" too: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003929/) which I'm following.

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have known where to start.

Anyway....

I spend a couple more hours on it the other night and have started to refine the shape more (the images above were just to give me a rough idea)

I managed to shave a couple more mm off the nose, added some more to the forehead, and build up a couple more mm up the cheek muscle.

Here's Voldy without the top lip:    

(as you'll see, the profile doesn't look right...)

... so I decided to bite the bullet and include the top lip as part of the prosthetic...

With Top Lip:    

There's still a long way to go, but so far I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I'll keep you all posted when I've done some more.

Last edited by Kessa; July 7th, 2010 at 12:23 pm.
Old July 7th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Kessa....Holy Cow! That's soooo amazing! Your attention to detail is something else. I have to say I do like the one with the upper lip (just as long as it's not too full). The DH trailer shows Voldemort's face pretty much like you have it...from the side it looks a bit pared down and from the front it's hard to say, obviously you see the upper lip but it appears a bit scarred (I guess from where it's pulled down from the nose). I just noticed the scarring look, because I have a scar on my lip (from an accident) and I tend to notice things like that.

Keep up the fantastic work...you are definitely on a roll there!!!

Old July 11th, 2010, 6:52 pm
First Year

Kessa....this is truely an inspiration!
I've been thinking about doing a voldemort costume for a few years,
and now I kind of have the time to actually do it, and properly and not just a half-arsed job.

I cannot believe the detail you are going to,
in my deepest fantasys I didnt hope to do this as well as you are.
All the material that you've posted really is a huge help!

I have so many questions....!!!!
Where did you buy the Neill Gorton dvd?
I saw you can get the 4part set for around 100pounds,
so overall (and if you don't mind) how much do you reckon this is setting you back?? - cause Id love to do it, but Id like to know what im getting myself into financially (wages aren't the may west)
How much generally does the material cost?
How did you do the teeth too, cause to me this seems let a fairly complicated step.

I am really really excited to see the end result!

Have you thought about props?
Green flashes from a make-shift firework??

Old July 12th, 2010, 10:55 am
Second Year

Quote:
I have so many questions....!!!!
That's alright - happy to help! Fire away!

Quote:
Where did you buy the Neill Gorton dvd?
I saw you can get the 4part set for around 100pounds,
I got it from a company called "Mouldlife"
(http://www.mouldlife.net/dvds-35-c.asp)

At 100, it's not exactly cheap (if you're just doing this for a one off like I am) BUT equally I couldn't have done this without it and I'd certainly say it's worth every penny.

Quote:
Overall (and if you don't mind) how much do you reckon this is setting you back?? - cause Id love to do it, but Id like to know what im getting myself into financially (wages aren't the may west)
Well.... when I first started researching this I got a quote from a company in the USA for some of the materials... long story short, when it came to actually placing the order they turned around and said they couldn't ship some of the chemicals to the UK (even though I told them I was in the UK previously) so that meant my costs essentially doubled. I couldn't back out at that point though as I'd already spend a few hundred on other bits.

For the entire project, my initial budget was 600-800..... but because of that the total costs have gone up dramatically to 1,000+ (haven't totalled it up yet)

I would add that I'm not "minted" either so that's really hit hard... but I decided to stick with it as how often do you get to try something no one has done before.

However, before you panic, I would say this:

a) No one had done a full movie accurate one before, so I really wanted to do the best I could to provide a benchmark and to help anyone else who wanted to do something similar in the future. Being the first always works out more expensive as you don't know what shortcuts you can make without compromising on the quality, etc
b) It's "movie accurate" (well, as best as it can be because of the nose).... if you don't want to do a "movie accurate" version but just a very good version you could reduce those costs dramatically.

I know of 2 guys on Flickr who have done 2 of the best versions I've seen to date:

"Kurmidt's" version:
Whilst it's not movie accurate (note: I'm NOT knocking it when I say that!), I think it cost a fraction of what I've spent and yet it still looks very good.
Here's a pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8844969...aves-machaiek/
.. and (so you can see how it looks in different lights)...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machaie...-32012750@N08/
(I think a friend (missmachaiek) did the makeup for him)

There's also a chap called "Laquil1" who does a really good one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3200800...n/photostream/
(Personally I think if he could blend the edges a bit better it would make it a huge difference, but it's a very good effect all the same and "facially" probably closer than Kurmidts))

For his, he uses something called a "Gaunt" mask from these guys:
http://www.screamteam.com/newpage/gaunt.htm
The thing to bear in mind is that you'll probably only get 1 usage out of it each time so if it's something you plan on wearing a lot you'll want to consider that.

..... so it goes to show you have a range of options depending on your budget and how far you want to take it

Quote:
How much generally does the material cost?
Do you mean for the robes or for the prosthetics? The silk for the robes was about 150, and then I got a very talented friend to make them for me (I'd have just stitched my fingers to it ) so that cost a bit too (won't say how much as that will vary depending on if you can do it yourself of know someone who can )

Quote:
How did you do the teeth too, cause to me this seems let a fairly complicated step.
Yeah, I started on the teeth 1st, got loads of bits, etc, but again I had trouble getting the chemicals into the UK, and most UK suppliers only do stuff in bulk (which not only adds to the costs, but means you have loads of wastage)

In the end, I figured it would be cheaper to get someone who knows what they're doing to make them as if I'd have messed up my 1st attempt, the cost of making another set would have effectively cost the same.

Check out http://www.freewebs.com/customfangs/
A chap called Steve does them and he's really helpful. You can see the end result earlier in this thread for how they look.

Quote:
I am really really excited to see the end result!
Thx... me too It's been 2 years in the making so I'm still waiting to see if it's all worth it!

Quote:
Have you thought about props?
Green flashes from a make-shift firework??
Because everything we do is "movie accurate" I can't really do any improv stuff, and I think there may be Health and Safety issue for flares / fireworks at events.

I have been trying to think how I could interact with the public though and have a few idea's up my sleeve... but you'll have to wait and see what they are when he's finished

Old July 12th, 2010, 10:59 am
Third Year

Your making this open to the public? i would love to see this how many times would you be doing it and are you going to be in ny?

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:09 pm
Second Year

I'd love to do it in the USA (especially as you've got the new Harry Potter World in Orlando now you lucky people you! ) but sadly I'm over in the UK and Harry Potter events in the UK seem to be surprisingly sparse.

I want to have it ready in time for the UK Premiere of DH Part 1, as that's probably the biggest date in the UK HP calendar (as far as I'm aware) so anyone in the UK who's going to that will hopefully get to see it (another reason I hope I can do it justice!)

I think at the moment I'm only going to have the opportunity to do it a couple of times a year as they'll need to be really special events
(it will take about 2 hours to kit up and have everything applied, and then probably another hour to take it all off again which rules out short events unless they're extra special such as the premiere)

If Warner Bros / Harry Potter Films can make use of it and fancy flying me out to HP World then I'll happily see you there!

Update - 14th July 2010:
Well, I've pretty much got the rough face sorted now.

When I started I deliberately did one side of the face first to help me see where muscles, creases, etc were.

In hindsight, I'm not sure if that was such a good idea as when it came to doing the rest of the face it was a lot harder to try and get a consistant shape & thickness. (I'm not sure if that would still have been a problem anyway but hey ho)

I think I've got it pretty much right now (I know there's a couple of minor tweaks I still need to make) but I wanted to check if it was right or whether it was just my mind & eyes telling me it looked right, so I decided to run a quick test.

I thought I'd share
http://www.screencast.com/t/NjFmMmM2M

Last edited by Kessa; July 16th, 2010 at 12:45 pm.
Old July 16th, 2010, 3:56 pm
First Year

Hello guys,
This is actually my first post on this forum..
Anyway i'm having the idea to create a Death Eater outfit, and atm i'm working on the cloak with attached hood.
Now this thread has already been very helpful regarding the comments and the links given that included some nice ref pictures.
But i was wondering here if anyone had any more ref pictures regarding the
tunic (like for example the collar detail, the belt with the wand sheath etc) and the gloves/forearm parts ?
That would be a tremendous help !! Because i'm rather stuck here and i want to make it as accurate as possible

Old July 16th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Kessa...I had a problem with watching your video link and I so wanted to see it. Is there anyway you can re-post it? Your work is sooo amazing!

Old July 16th, 2010, 5:43 pm
First Year

This is also my first post on the thread, and I was wondering if Ron's sweater/vest/coat type thing (it's kinda short fur or wool) he got for Christmas in "The Order of the Phoenix" is available for buying anywhere? If not, is there anywhere that sells something at least VERY similar to it? Thanks

Old July 17th, 2010, 5:46 pm
Second Year

Blimey, this thread has picked up a lot the last few days

thoetmosis - who are you thinking of doing as each of their robes are slightly different. I've got loads of reference pics (mainly for lucius and bella, but also have non-names Death Eaters) so happy to help with whatever you need if I can.

gottriplets - I've had a couple other people tell me they can't see it either so I'm guessing it's because it's an .avi file. I'll try converting it to another format and will repost.

Ithalionrandir - I think (although I couldn't swear to this) that Ron's jumper was actually a rather expensive designer one which was then altered to include the big "R", etc. I have a feeling it was mentioned in an interview with Ron.... check page 3 of this thread as I put a few links to video's which had handy info so they're a great place to start and off the top of my head I think it may be in one of those vids ;-)

Last edited by Kessa; July 17th, 2010 at 5:50 pm.
Old July 17th, 2010, 8:15 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
Blimey, this thread has picked up a lot the last few days

thoetmosis - who are you thinking of doing as each of their robes are slightly different. I've got loads of reference pics (mainly for lucius and bella, but also have non-names Death Eaters) so happy to help with whatever you need if I can.
I'm working on a regular death eater, so if you have ref pics of those non-names Death Eaters, that would be amazing

Old July 17th, 2010, 8:44 pm
Second Year

No probs, check out this as a starting point:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3201275...7609476507790/

It's a mix of Lucius (as thats what I was researching at the time) and Generic.

For the Death Eaters bear the following in mind:

1) Its not a "uniform" in the true sense, and so their gear isn't necessarily idential (as its supposed to reflect age and wealth so some more more "worn" than others) but you will notice that for example, the men all seem to wear boots, belts, cloak and trousers.
2) If you're doing GoF then the costume is different.
3) Each Death Eater has a unique mask. If you're doing a "generic" death eater, try to avoid using one of the well known masks (i.e. dont use Bella or Lucius") if you're trying to make it accurate.
4) If you're trying to do "movie accurate" as I am for Voldy, watch out for using reference pics from things like the models. They're handy if you can't find any other resource for reference pics, but often film companies will deliberately make "tweaks" to how a model looks so it's not an exact copy (understandable)

With regards to wand holsters, I don't think they were ever really seen. Most of the guys (I believe) had them so they don't have to hold them all the time (Dan mentions it in one of the interviews) but I think it's just a pocket sewn into the outfit so unless you know your character specifically has one I wouldn't worry.

With regards to the glove / arms - these (for lucius at least) were actually one piece and the tunic went over the top. There's a "behind the scenes" pic in the album which shows what I mean.

Also, watch out for the belts... you'll see I've flagged in one of those pics where they seem to have a different belt on the touring belt than was used in the film ( I think the belt may be from a different Death Eater )

If you're got any specific questions, just shout ;-)

Old July 17th, 2010, 9:08 pm
First Year

Thanks a lot for the ref pics

Ah well since every Death Eater is different, i can just give it my own twist then. i'll just put some bits and pieces together froms several death eaters.
Regarding the gloves, i'm making those seperate on top of the tunic, saw it once on a Death Eater ref pic and i thought it would be more comfortable if you could actually put the gloves on or not. But i'll look like it's past of the sleeve, so that won't be any problem.

I made a wise decision to NOT go for lucius' outfit, because that one is very detailed and clearly distinguishes itself from the regular Death Eater outfits (as to be expected).

And i try to use as many movie ref pics that i can find, because like you said if you want it accurate, merchandise isn't that accurate.

Also found a solution for the wand sheath, i'm just going to attach some kind of sheath to the belt they use (the design is actually based on the same way cowboys stored their guns ).

Last but not least, the masks...my sewing skills are fine etc, but my sculpting...that's a big NO And a professional sculpter would be a bit expensive. So i'm not sure how to solve this, though one solution is to use Lucius Malfoys Mask that i have in my collection. It's a nice design and it would suit well.

And the personal wand making will also be quite a challenge. i'm actually quite a perfectionist. So if it doesn't look good to me, i won't use it (friends say i'm way too hard on myself, but yea...i notice those flaws).
So i'm thinking of using a Noble Collection wand that has a Death Eaterish design (Like slughorns, snapes, sirius',...)

Old July 18th, 2010, 7:24 pm
First Year

Kessa - I watched the link on page 3 and yeah, Ron said they got it for like 200 quid, but it doesn't say from where...do you have any idea where they would have gotten most of their sweaters and other costumes like that?

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:15 am
Second Year

Ithalionrandir
Quote:
I watched the link on page 3 and yeah, Ron said they got it for like 200 quid, but it doesn't say from where...do you have any idea where they would have gotten most of their sweaters and other costumes like that?
I think a lot of the stuff for people like Neville, was off the High street, from places like BHS. For Ron's jumper though they said it was a designer one so that could be harder to track down, but if you can send me a pic via PM (just so I know I'm hunting for the right one) I'll see if I can find anything (I love hunting for stuff like that )

Theotmosis
Quote:
Ah well since every Death Eater is different, i can just give it my own twist then. i'll just put some bits and pieces together froms several death eaters.
If you're trying to do "accurate" then I'd (this is just me personally ) stick with a single character even if it's not a named one. If you do a mix, then I guess you could call it "authentic", but I wouldn't call it "accurate" (if that makes sense?).... that's just me being super anal though lol

That aside, check out the Deathly Hallows trailer and see if you can find any good reference pics as there are hundreds of Death Eaters in that so it should give you a fair bit of choice

Quote:
Last but not least, the masks...my sewing skills are fine etc, but my sculpting...that's a big NO And a professional sculpter would be a bit expensive. So i'm not sure how to solve this, though one solution is to use Lucius Malfoys Mask that i have in my collection. It's a nice design and it would suit well.
Is it the nobel one or the voice changer one which you have? If it's the nobel one then I'm guessing you won't want to "tweak" it, which means you'll be wearing Lucius' mask.

If it's the voice changer one then you can really go to town on it and change whatever you want
(Thought: In Deathly Hallows, I'm not sure if the Death Eater's bother to wear masks anymore as they don't need to worry about hiding their identity. In the trailer for example, I think they were all open faced.

Quote:
And the personal wand making will also be quite a challenge. i'm actually quite a perfectionist. So if it doesn't look good to me, i won't use it (friends say i'm way too hard on myself, but yea...i notice those flaws).
So i'm thinking of using a Noble Collection wand that has a Death Eaterish design (Like slughorns, snapes, sirius',...)
Again, if you're going to use a Nobel wand then you'll be restricted to only being able to buy a "named" character's wand (again, it depends on whether you're going for "Accurate" or "Authentic"

In case it helps, I know a few people have made them using some sort of sculpting material (I can't remember exactly what but I'll be happy to check if that helps?)

Alternatively, I don't know if I can post links here so just in case not, check out Alivans wand shop. They do custom, hand made wands as well as off the shelf ones. Most of the wands you can buy are for the "good" guys so would look a bit wrong for a Death Eater, but you may be able to get a nice custom one done

Last edited by Kessa; July 20th, 2010 at 10:37 am.
Old July 20th, 2010, 5:55 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
Alternatively, I don't know if I can post links here so just in case not[...]
As long as the website is legal and legitimate, you're fine linking. ^_^

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old July 21st, 2010, 3:28 pm
Second Year

Thanks Mexicant

Right, in that case....

Alivans = http://www.alivans.com/welcome.htm
However, like I say they do seem to focus on "good guy" wands. If you do a Google for "custom made wands" (or anything similar) you should find some good options, and some look like really nice solutions for "dark wizards"

Ithalionrandir
If you can confirm which jumper you're looking at doing that would be fab, but in the mean time I've had a bit of a search and managed to find the following info. Not sure if it will help, but it may at least point you in the right direction.

From an article on HPANA back in 2004:
Quote:
"The Kids Window is offering Weasley sweaters for sale (http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/html/hpotterbrand.asp), just in time for Christmas.

A small, family run British manufacturer was commissioned by the production company of the Harry Potter movie to make some very special children's sweaters for use in their film. Harry, Ron Weasley and his brothers can all be seen wearing these distinctive sweaters in the film, which are said to be knitted for them by Ron's mother.

You can now buy these very exclusive sweaters through a special promotion arranged with The Kids Window, available in both child and adult sizes . We are proud to be able to offer you the same sweaters, hand made to order by the same small British manufacturer, with your choice of initial. They are identical to those made for the film, using the same design and material - a machine washable tweedy, soft wool mix. They are available in four colours - Midnight, Fir Green, Cocoa and Cranberry."
- Sadly, they don't seem to sell them anymore, but it could be worth dropping them an email.

- According to comments at the time, the cost was about 119 (that was back in 2004)

- Note:
If I'm reading that right, it sounds like "Kids Window" weren't actually the company mentioned in the first paragraph - "A small, family run British manufacturer was commissioned". Instead it sounds like they were just a retailed who got permission to sell them. (I could be wrong). So even if "The Kids Window" don't sell them anymore, they may be able to put you in touch with the company who made the originals (if you happen to find out who that was, would you mind letting me know please?)

- Sadly there are no pics so I dont know which jumper these were or how accurate they were, but they may be able to help with that too.

Also, apparently the wool was from here:
http://www.newlanarkshop.co.uk/shop.php
"Did you know that the wool used by Mrs Weasley to handknit a jumper for Harry's friend Ron, was from New Lanark!"

Believe it or not, the Jumpers also seem to have their own Wiki Entry!
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Weasley_jumper

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies