Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Premiere parties

Old June 23rd, 2011, 3:50 am
Third Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Premieres

I won't be going to any fancy premieres, just the midnight showing. I'm a bit nervous because I am spending the summer out in a pretty small town in Wyoming with some family. There are three small theaters in town - all run by the same company - and I really thought for the midnight show they would have all of them playing the movie. WRONG! It will only be playing on one screen and tickets will only be going on sale one hour before the midnight showing.

This town had an absolutely crazy party for the midnight release of book 7 so I know there are some pretty hardcore HP fans out there. I guess I've just been spoiled by the wonder of Fandango and online ticket sales. I've never actually had to wait in line before. I have to say I'm looking forward to it 'cos it will be an experience since I'll be surrounded by other obsessed HP fans. My question is what time do you think I should line up for tickets?

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 9:12 pm
First Year

Hello everyone! Newbie here and this is my 1st post! So i was wondering if anybody plans on seeing any IMAX 3D midnight releases.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 9:16 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post

This town had an absolutely crazy party for the midnight release of book 7 so I know there are some pretty hardcore HP fans out there. I guess I've just been spoiled by the wonder of Fandango and online ticket sales. I've never actually had to wait in line before. I have to say I'm looking forward to it 'cos it will be an experience since I'll be surrounded by other obsessed HP fans. My question is what time do you think I should line up for tickets?
If you think there are going to be a lot of people there, I don't think you can get there early enough! How far is the nearest metro area or larger city that would be showing it? I can't believe they wouldn't have more than one screen showing the movie, and that they aren't preselling tickets! Maybe you can talk some sense into the management!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 9:18 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Welcome.

I'm going to a midnight IMAX 3D release.

I'm probably going to go to the New York Premiere too, but I'm not expecting to see much. It was handled really poorly last time and it's at the same location. I'm hoping they learned their lesson since it seems they handled the DVD release better.

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:50 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
If you think there are going to be a lot of people there, I don't think you can get there early enough! How far is the nearest metro area or larger city that would be showing it? I can't believe they wouldn't have more than one screen showing the movie, and that they aren't preselling tickets! Maybe you can talk some sense into the management!
The nearest metro area is about 2 hours over a mountain pass or 3 hours south. I've already emailed the management because I am crazy. The response I got said:

Quote:
I anticipate that some fans will begin to line up early that day, however we seldom see significant lines until later in the evening.

The best advice I can give you is to check the website for updates and, if you wish to attend the midnight show, plan on an evening with other Harry Potter fans outside the Teton Theatre before the big event.
I suppose I'll just plan to spend the day in town. If people aren't lining up then I'll do something else. If they are lining up then I'll line up too. No big deal, just mildly frustrating.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old June 24th, 2011, 2:48 am
Sixth Year

Amazingly, my local cinema which could easily sport many showings simultaneously has cancelled the 2D and one 3D and is now showing only one 3D version at midnight! Wow! I'm not going to the midnight or even the first day showing, I will wait a few days, (I hope) but I'm really surprised at this.

Old June 24th, 2011, 7:54 am
Third Year

All I want in life is to see DH2 at midnight in 2D. But I can't even do that. WHY did they have to release it in 3D? Now all the theatres in my entire city are only showing 3D at midnight just so they can make as much money as they possibly can. GRRR.

Old June 24th, 2011, 8:38 am
First Year

Not in NZ

they have started to screen 1-6 over here. before part2 comes out. in NZ july14

Last edited by MiracleNye; June 24th, 2011 at 8:46 am.
Old June 24th, 2011, 6:27 pm
First Year

Harry Potter

Hi to anyone reading this . My name's Marie.

I want to attended the upcoming NY premiere of HP7.2 QUESTIONS for those who have been to a premiere before:

1. Tell me what to expect. In regards to the crowds, or the lines. or my chance of actually getting a good spot to view the cast walking on the red carpet and all that?
2. Exactly how much hours do you recommend I be out there before July 11 event?
3. Do i literally have to camp out? what about the bathroom/food situation? Best to camp in in pairs or more huh?
4. Is it a literal line I have to join, b/c from what i've seen on past premieres on youtube, its a people bunched up behind railings with signs and such.
5. What are the chances of me getting in a fist fight or wand battle for my rightful place in the line?
6. Are you allowed to take pics?,,,,with flash? and/or film the whole deal?
7. What are the chances of touching Ron? haha
8. Just tell me everything you wish you had known before you went to your first premiere, during and what you learnt after.

ALL HEADS UP ARE WELCOMED, THANKS.

PS:
Anyone in my age bracket going 20s-30s? I'm 25.

Old June 24th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
I won't be going to any fancy premieres, just the midnight showing. I'm a bit nervous because I am spending the summer out in a pretty small town in Wyoming with some family. There are three small theaters in town - all run by the same company - and I really thought for the midnight show they would have all of them playing the movie. WRONG! It will only be playing on one screen and tickets will only be going on sale one hour before the midnight showing.

I say around 5 or 6 pm. Well thats the time Im going lol x)

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal_Chicanery View Post
Hi to anyone reading this . My name's Marie.

I want to attended the upcoming NY premiere of HP7.2 QUESTIONS for those who have been to a premiere before:

1. Tell me what to expect. In regards to the crowds, or the lines. or my chance of actually getting a good spot to view the cast walking on the red carpet and all that?
2. Exactly how much hours do you recommend I be out there before July 11 event?
3. Do i literally have to camp out? what about the bathroom/food situation? Best to camp in in pairs or more huh?
4. Is it a literal line I have to join, b/c from what i've seen on past premieres on youtube, its a people bunched up behind railings with signs and such.
5. What are the chances of me getting in a fist fight or wand battle for my rightful place in the line?
6. Are you allowed to take pics?,,,,with flash? and/or film the whole deal?
7. What are the chances of touching Ron? haha
8. Just tell me everything you wish you had known before you went to your first premiere, during and what you learnt after.

ALL HEADS UP ARE WELCOMED, THANKS.

PS:
Anyone in my age bracket going 20s-30s? I'm 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia7 View Post
I say around 5 or 6 pm. Well thats the time Im going lol x)
It starts at 5 as I recall. I'd double check on that. If you want to go then you should go earlier than that.

I went to the DH1 Premiere last time and it was held in the same area. It wasn't handled well though. I'm hoping they've learned their lesson. Last time they had the press area in tents and the only actor try to get to the crowd was Tom Felton. They didn't close the street so it was very dangerous with the cars coming down.

So what I'm hoping is that the press area is not covered this time because it will be Summer and that they close the street so the actors and production team can actually approach the fans or at least be more visible because cars won't be in the way.

I went to the HBP one in the summer and got there at around 11- or 12 noon and it was crowded already. I didn't get to go to the bathroom until I got home. I was by myself and didn't really want to lose my spot inside the barricade.

Be prepared for a big crowd and be resigned to the fact that you may be waiting for hours and not see much. It all depends on how they handle the whole thing and luck. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's better when you're a bit prepared so that you aren't completely crushed if they mess up the whole thing.

Now if you can't get there until the evening, then I would suggest possibly hanging around after the premiere stuff is over and they go in to see the movie. They may stay for the whole thing (they did for HBP) but when they come out there will be less of a crowd and you might see people then. I did for HBP and saw Dan, Tom, Alan and Rupert. Rupert was the only one that signed and I was nearly crushed in the process because of the people pushing behind me. This was at the Ziegfeld though and there is only one main exit. Not sure about this theater.

You can take pictures and all that. Should be a problem.

Old June 25th, 2011, 12:36 am
Third Year

^^ l was talking about the midnight show not the premiere lol

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old June 25th, 2011, 3:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia7 View Post
^^ l was talking about the midnight show not the premiere lol
Ah, gotcha. That should be more than enough time then, I agree.

Old June 25th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh
It starts at 5 as I recall. I'd double check on that. If you want to go then you should go earlier than that.

Thank you for the information, boushh! (According to MuggleNet's announcement, celebrity arrivals will start around 5:00 p.m.) I am planning on going to the premiere in New York, assuming I can get off work for Monday and Tuesday. Thankfully, I have a relative who has an apartment in Manhattan, so I will be able to stay nearby when I am not waiting in line! I hope to arrive in the city on Saturday, but I am not sure when the best time to start lining up is. This will be my first time going to the main U.S. premiere (I thought it prudent, given it is the final film), but, needless to say, I am very uninformed on the protocol.

I read on one page that some fans may begin showing up on Sunday. In your experience (or anyone else's who has also experienced a New York or London premiere), is this normal? Of course, I would love to have a good position (wishful and unlikely, of course!), and I am more than willing to line up any time on Sunday or Monday. However, I would not want to stand around in New York City on Sunday night without any other Harry Potter fans to keep me company. Would you recommend camping out Sunday night, or would waiting in line starting on Monday be sufficient?

Also, do you expect any Harry Potter-themed celebrations for those fans waiting in line? For instance, are any games, contests, or anything of the sort provided for entertainment, or is it strictly waiting in line for the arrival of the celebrities (and up to the fans to mingle and enjoy it as best they can)?

Do you think workers at Avery Fisher Hall would be able to tell me (via telephone or direct contact on Saturday) the layout of the premiere and allow me to plan in that way? If I go there on Saturday (to "scope things out"!), would I get a good sense of how the fans will be situated on Monday?

How long do you expect to stay? The celebrities supposedly begin arriving at 5 pm, but how long does it generally take for them to be whisked into the theatre, watch the film, exit, and the festivities disband?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am attempting to be as detailed and careful about attending the premiere, as I want to maximize my enjoyment. I realize that I may not be close to or even see the celebrities, but I at least hope that the atmosphere and the surrounding fans would be enough to compensate for that loss! I know some of these questions may be impossible to answer, but I appreciate your consideration!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:20 pm
Second Year

This is the first time I'll be going to midnight showing for Harry Potter. I'm excited. I'm seeing it in 2D, but will see it in 3D on the following Sunday. I'd rather not deal with 3D the first time, and the rest were all in 2D and I like consistency.

I think my husband and I will dress as Lupin and Tonks. I haven't seen good pics of them for this flick, but we have costumes loosely based on the 6th one that I think reflects their style overall. I haven't decided how much I'm going to dress up for Sunday. People don't normally dress up for non-midnight showings but I'm not normal. ^__^

Pet: Screech owl named Artemis

"...what is easy is often not right."
with a twist of but CoS says i'm
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Everyone who is going to the Premiere or Midnight showings, good luck, have fun, and hope you enjoy the movie.

Old June 26th, 2011, 3:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Thank you for the information, boushh! (According to MuggleNet's announcement, celebrity arrivals will start around 5:00 p.m.) I am planning on going to the premiere in New York, assuming I can get off work for Monday and Tuesday. Thankfully, I have a relative who has an apartment in Manhattan, so I will be able to stay nearby when I am not waiting in line! I hope to arrive in the city on Saturday, but I am not sure when the best time to start lining up is. This will be my first time going to the main U.S. premiere (I thought it prudent, given it is the final film), but, needless to say, I am very uninformed on the protocol.
It's been held in different places so experiences by people attending the US premiere probably vary. As I said, it was handled poorly last time. It was held at the same location, so I'm hoping they've learned their lesson. For example, for the DVD release they had the same press area backgrounds, but they set up seating for fans. So maybe they realized that people weren't able to see anything last time.

Quote:
I read on one page that some fans may begin showing up on Sunday. In your experience (or anyone else's who has also experienced a New York or London premiere), is this normal? Of course, I would love to have a good position (wishful and unlikely, of course!), and I am more than willing to line up any time on Sunday or Monday. However, I would not want to stand around in New York City on Sunday night without any other Harry Potter fans to keep me company. Would you recommend camping out Sunday night, or would waiting in line starting on Monday be sufficient?
People will do the overnight thing, but it usually isn't that many, from what I can recall. If the apartment you'll be staying at isn't far away, maybe you can scope it out? I'm sure reports might show up on the various social media sites as well. I live in NYC (outer boro) and I won't do it, but that's me.

Quote:
Also, do you expect any Harry Potter-themed celebrations for those fans waiting in line? For instance, are any games, contests, or anything of the sort provided for entertainment, or is it strictly waiting in line for the arrival of the celebrities (and up to the fans to mingle and enjoy it as best they can)?
To a certain degree it's just fans mingling, but sites like Mugglenet might have a person there doing giveaways. They did at the last two premieres. Feltbeats (Tom Felton's club) also have a done little trivia things in the past.

Quote:
Do you think workers at Avery Fisher Hall would be able to tell me (via telephone or direct contact on Saturday) the layout of the premiere and allow me to plan in that way? If I go there on Saturday (to "scope things out"!), would I get a good sense of how the fans will be situated on Monday?
I don't know if they'll be able to tell you anything. I kind of have a feeling it's an events company that does the whole thing and not necessarily the theater people. It doesn't hurt to try and ask though! Maybe they do know something.

I can tell you that last time they had the fans across the street from the theater near this big staircase thing. Across the street and to the right of the theater they had the press area, which was in a tent so one couldn't see anything inside it. There was also a big set of stairs diagonally across from the press area which faced the portion where you could see inside the tent. I'm not clear on whether or not they shooed people away from there or not.

The fans were behind barricades on the sidewalk. They never closed the street.

IMO, what would make this better than last time is if they closed the street and took down the tent. Then we'd have a chance at seeing something. So let's cross our fingers!

Quote:
How long do you expect to stay? The celebrities supposedly begin arriving at 5 pm, but how long does it generally take for them to be whisked into the theatre, watch the film, exit, and the festivities disband?
OK, well I can tell you what happened at the HBP premiere. That one was arrivals at 6 pm and somewhere around 7-7:30 they were inside the theater and I think it was after 10:30 when they came out. The arrivals are earlier and DH2 is shorter than HBP so they would probably be out sooner. Usually they say that the cast of a film won't stay for the film, but they all stayed for HBP.

Quote:
Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am attempting to be as detailed and careful about attending the premiere, as I want to maximize my enjoyment. I realize that I may not be close to or even see the celebrities, but I at least hope that the atmosphere and the surrounding fans would be enough to compensate for that loss! I know some of these questions may be impossible to answer, but I appreciate your consideration!
Well as long as you know it's hit or miss and you're cool with just experiencing the chance to see something while hanging out with other fans then you'll be OK.

I have a feeling they'll do a better job with this than last time though, so hopefully we'll get to see something.

Old June 27th, 2011, 7:51 pm
First Year

I was planning on attending the London premiere, but none of my friends are as hardcore fans as I am, and I don't fancy going all the way down to London on my own

But I am majorly excited about the midnight show! We've had midnight book releases in the UK, I went to the last two, but as far as I know there hasn't been a single midnight release of a HP movie in the UK, until now.

Expecting the same treatment as the last 7 films I didn't think there were going to be any midnight releases, so I went and bought tickets for what I thought was the first showing, at 10 AM. But, then I found out they were allowing midnight showings for the first ever time so...I'm going twice in one day Seriously can't wait. I wanna see what all the fuss over midnight screenings is about Not sure whether or not to dress up, I did for the midnight book releases, but I was one of a very small few There's only one midnight screening which is 3D, and I would have preferred the option of 2D or 3D, then again, I can always pretend the glasses are Harry Potter glasses

"I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books.

But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

J.K. Rowling

Old June 27th, 2011, 8:01 pm
First Year

I'm going to watch the movie in a preview on the 13th in 3D (release date in Germany is 14th)

Old June 27th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Second Year

I'm not going to anything fancy (I wish I could go to the main premiere in New York...).

Just going to my local theater (but trust me we have more than enough hard core Potter fans around here to make it fun!), probably bringing some of my own special butterbeer and treacle tart to wait in line with xD...
I would be bringing a wand but I haven't got one anymore, so I'll be making my own lol...
Never been to a Midnight premiere for the movies or the books or anything, so I'm excited

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References