Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the play and book?
Awesome! Both of them. 2 5.13%
The play is great, but the story doesn't work in book format 4 10.26%
I've lots of emotions on core characters that must not be named 11 28.21%
Mwah... meh... 17 43.59%
The book is awesome, can't wait to see the play! 9 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6th, 2016, 3:35 am
Snidget of Champions

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

I wasn't able to enjoy the script upon my first read. About halfway through I had a hard time continuing, I felt so numbed at what I was reading. The story itself is not bad; in fact, I quite enjoyed the story of finding and embracing oneself and one's loved ones despite challenges to do so. The Albus/Harry, Scorpius/Draco, and Albus/Scorpius relationships and their problems and progression were very well done. But almost all of the original characters seemed off to me, except perhaps Ginny and maybe McGonagall. Granted, 19 years had gone by since we knew these characters last, and the script format limits what we can know about the characters. But I had difficulty recognizing Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Draco as written - particularly Ron, who seems to have been downgraded to comic relief - more akin to the film Ron than book Ron. And even if I didn't know these characters over seven books, I think I would have a difficult time appreciating their characters in Cursed Child. They felt like caricatures rather than well fleshed out characters (likely in part due to the play format and need for more direct dialogue).

And while the main story was solid, I found the plot and progression very difficult to tolerate. The super-duper Time-Turners, Cedric Diggory prophecy, trolley witch, and Voldemort's child all seemed forced and contrived for any story, in addition to inconsistent with the previous books (even if not technically. Most things could be explained away, but not fluidly).

I did enjoy Scorpius as a character, didn't mind Albus at all, and enjoyed their friendship. I also liked Harry's last discussion with Dumbledore, though again it felt a bit forced and there for nostalgia more than anything (same with the scene of Hagrid recovering baby Harry). Otherwise, not much stands out for me as something I truly liked, other than the overall message of the script. But so much occluded that message that I couldn't really appreciate it.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altjeringa View Post
Yeah but the thing is if she did give birth in March or even February, most women still look pregnant for awhile after having a baby. Even the ones who don't gain that much weight, it usually takes at least a good few months before their bodies go back to normal. Even if Delphi was born one or two months before the Malfoy Manor scene took place, I still think that something about Bellatrix should've seemed different. Especially to Malfoy who for obvious reasons was more familiar with her than the trio was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
As for her body looking pregnant: I've never been pregnant myself so I wouldn't know. But considering that wizarding wear consists of rather loose robes, it's not a stretch to me that at least the Trio (considering the pressure they were under) would not have noticed that she looked fatter than usual. I wouldn't call it a plot hole since it is possible to make it work with the books.
Here's the thing. Even if her body isn't visibly different post-pregnancy, surely it has to feel different. Hermione becomes Bellatrix thanks to the Polyjuice, she would have found it strange or at least mentioned it to the others if Bellatrix's body had felt like it had just undergone pregnancy and childbirth.

Just like Albus mentions Ron's gut in CC

Another thing I saw somewhere today that directly contradicts canon. Hagrid is supposed to meet Sirius at Godric's Hollow when he goes to take baby Harry from the wreckage.

Old August 6th, 2016, 4:45 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
Here's the thing. Even if her body isn't visibly different post-pregnancy, surely it has to feel different. Hermione becomes Bellatrix thanks to the Polyjuice, she would have found it strange or at least mentioned it to the others if Bellatrix's body had felt like it had just undergone pregnancy and childbirth.
That's an interesting point, and would be a strong consideration if that timeline is about accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha
Another thing I saw somewhere today that directly contradicts canon. Hagrid is supposed to meet Sirius at Godric's Hollow when he goes to take baby Harry from the wreckage.
I saw this, too, but it's not an inconsistency. Hagrid didn't meet Sirius until after he left the house with Harry:
PoA, Ch. 10, The Marauder's Map, Page 153, British, PB'I met him!' growled Hagrid. 'I musta bin the last ter see him before he killed all them people! It was me what rescued Harry from Lily an' James's house after they was killed! Jus' got him outta the ruins, poor little thing, with a great slash across his forehead, an' his parents dead ... an' Sirius Black turns up, on that flyin' motorbike he used ter ride.

In Cursed Child, we only see Hagrid enter the house, collect Harry, and leave. He would have met Sirius after "he strides away through the house. And we descend into soft black."

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 6th, 2016, 5:03 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
Hmm... does the Polyjuice Potion turn you into how the person looks at the time or into how they usually look? Besides, what does Hermione know about pregnancy bodies anyway? I think that even if the body looked a bit fatter than usual, it wouldn't necessarily feel pregnant. What I mean is that I don't think impersonating a pregnant woman for example would allow you to feel the baby kick or the sore breasts. You would probably just have a big belly with nothing in it. It's all about the appearance. Impersonating a sick person would also not make you feel as sick as them just look it. Of course, this is all guesswork as we don't know that much about how the potion works.

I hope Rowling writes something on Pottermore and clears up the confusion. She's left everything open basically by not giving us any specific info on the time of the birth (except for it being relatively close in time to the final battle). Let's remember that this script we've just read is only the preliminary one. If there are any small errors they can still fix them. We hardly see Bella at all during HBP so that would make it a good time for her to have been pregnant. Maybe they'll change the line so it says "I was born one year before the Battle of Hogwarts which you will lose".

Old August 7th, 2016, 7:19 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry23 View Post
But Cedric...I refuse to believe that part to be canon. It's crazy that he would've become a death eater and a murderer because he got humiliated over a tournament.

It's an insult to his memory. It takes away the significance of an innocent boy being killed by Voldemort because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It diminishes Dumbledore's brilliant speech at the end of term speech.
Yeah, I thought that too. Cedric was a good kid. Honest, hardworking, valued fair play. This was the kid that told about the dragons, who wanted a re-match even though he had just won the game after Harry blacked out during Quidditch in Harry's 3rd year, who told Harry to take the cup in that maze at the end. He was an overall good guy. And then Cursed Child comes along and it's like NOPE. I don't buy into that idea he would've totally lost it over a stupid tournament. It's not Cedric's style.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old August 8th, 2016, 7:07 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Yeah, I thought that too. Cedric was a good kid. Honest, hardworking, valued fair play. This was the kid that told about the dragons, who wanted a re-match even though he had just won the game after Harry blacked out during Quidditch in Harry's 3rd year, who told Harry to take the cup in that maze at the end. He was an overall good guy. And then Cursed Child comes along and it's like NOPE. I don't buy into that idea he would've totally lost it over a stupid tournament. It's not Cedric's style.
Exactly. It just doesn't fit him at all.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 10th, 2016, 2:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I completely agree. Plus, I think his father (his biggest fan and supporter) would certainly be involved enough to not allow this. Cedric is the genuine "good guy" of the series, the one nobody can hate or dislike.

Old August 12th, 2016, 12:15 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
The Fidelius Charm is the thing that has caused debate in this house. Should everyone from 2020 be able to see the house or not? Does the fact that they are from the future and are effectively secret keepers allow them to see it back in 1981 or is this an error. We kind of concluded that time travel didn't change the fact that they knew where the house was they could see it.
So smart! I didn't even think about that while watching. Good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
Hmm... does the Polyjuice Potion turn you into how the person looks at the time or into how they usually look? Besides, what does Hermione know about pregnancy bodies anyway? I think that even if the body looked a bit fatter than usual, it wouldn't necessarily feel pregnant. What I mean is that I don't think impersonating a pregnant woman for example would allow you to feel the baby kick or the sore breasts. You would probably just have a big belly with nothing in it. It's all about the appearance. Impersonating a sick person would also not make you feel as sick as them just look it. Of course, this is all guesswork as we don't know that much about how the potion works.
Harry Potter WikiIt enables the consumer to assume the physical appearance of another person, as long as they have first procured part of that individual's body to add to the brew
If the Polyjuice Potion only provides the appearance of the person, then my question is, is the appearance garnered from when the DNA was taken? Hermione got the hair while being tortured at Malfoy Manor. I would have to assume that Bellatrix was just post-natal at that time, since the battle happens just weeks after. Because if she was 8-9 months pregnant and torturing Hermione, I feel like we would have had that description in the books (even though Bellatrix with child is clearly an afterthought). So let's say she's post-natal. Since according to CC the pregnancy and birth was hidden from everyone, she wouldn't be breastfeeding - there is no way she's running to nurse or pump every 4 hours while LV is around - so maybe her body would have gone back to pre-pregnancy state by this time. I mean maybe childbirth is easier for witches, and maybe there is a potion or spell that promotes healing to get their bodies back to normal. Wow, I would have loved that. Personally, it took me several weeks to be walking about comfortably after my first child was born, I can't imagine going to war while recovering and nursing a newborn. However if Bellatrix was preggers while torturing Hermione, I would think that the Polyjuice appearance would show Hermione as pregnant (even with no child in the expanded womb) and she would definitely feel the physical differences between a non-pregnant person and a pregnant one.

Last edited by HMN; August 12th, 2016 at 12:44 am.
Old August 12th, 2016, 4:54 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
If the Polyjuice Potion only provides the appearance of the person, then my question is, is the appearance garnered from when the DNA was taken? Hermione got the hair while being tortured at Malfoy Manor. I would have to assume that Bellatrix was just post-natal at that time, since the battle happens just weeks after. Because if she was 8-9 months pregnant and torturing Hermione, I feel like we would have had that description in the books (even though Bellatrix with child is clearly an afterthought). So let's say she's post-natal. Since according to CC the pregnancy and birth was hidden from everyone, she wouldn't be breastfeeding - there is no way she's running to nurse or pump every 4 hours while LV is around - so maybe her body would have gone back to pre-pregnancy state by this time. I mean maybe childbirth is easier for witches, and maybe there is a potion or spell that promotes healing to get their bodies back to normal. Wow, I would have loved that. Personally, it took me several weeks to be walking about comfortably after my first child was born, I can't imagine going to war while recovering and nursing a newborn. However if Bellatrix was preggers while torturing Hermione, I would think that the Polyjuice appearance would show Hermione as pregnant (even with no child in the expanded womb) and she would definitely feel the physical differences between a non-pregnant person and a pregnant one.
I think she gave birth a few weeks before the Malfoy Manor incident. I've heard some people say that the actress playing Delphi is more specific than the rehearsal script and actually says "I was born a few months before the Battle". Don't know if that's true as I haven't seen the play but I did get the impression while reading that she must have been born somewhere between January and February.

As for Bella's fitness for the war- Tonks had given birth even closer to the Battle and she was still able to fight. So either there is some potion which can make witches regain their strength or maybe Tonks just had an easy delivery. If Bellatrix was still recovering from pregnancy at the battle then at least that explains why Molly was able to defeat her (way to go Molly leaving a baby without her mother!). But either way, I don't think her being pregnant at Malfoy Manor fits in the timeline. Delphi must have been born at least two weeks before the Trio's capture.

Btw, why wouldn't she nurse with LV around? It's not like he wants his child to starve. Besides, he was away trying to find the wand- they had to summon him fron Germany when they captured Harry. I'm so amused trying to imagine Voldemort around a baby. By his own admission, he can't stand crying infants so no wonder he flew all the way to Nurmengard to get away, haha.

Old August 28th, 2016, 4:18 am
I want to believe

I've just finished the book - read it all in one day. I can't say I loved it, but it was an interesting read, though I found it rather predicable in places. I suspected Delphi quite early on, and correctly guessed she was Voldemort's daughter by Bellatrix (having just finished reading The Deathly Hallows, I recalled the part where Bellatrix is speaking to Voldemort "as if to a lover", and figured if anyone would have a kid with Voldemort, it would be her). Though it is weird that Voldemort would have consented to be that close with anyone...

I liked Scorpius, liked the fact that he's very different from his father. In a way, he's a bit like Hermione with his geekiness. Of all the children, I think he was the most fleshed-out character. It's interesting that Harry has trouble connecting with and understanding the child that is most like him. His struggle to be a good dad is understandable, given what he says about not having had an example to go by.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see more of some of the other characters from previous books, like Neville (I was also hoping to meet Teddy Lupin as well). I did love Harry's chats with Dumbledore - especially the last one. Dumbledore was always one of my favorite characters, and I've always enjoyed his interactions with Harry. It was touching how he tries to reach toward Harry through the portrait.

Quote:
The Scorpius/Albus thing was so freaking suggestive I was 99% sure they were going to go there.
Ha, so was I!

Quote:
sometimes the characters' logic was nonexistent. I mean, some of the decisions made were pretty dang awful. Like when Albus, Delphi, and Scorpius decide to save Cedric, my first thought was that they were go back in time and warn him not to take the cup right before he starts or finishes the Third Task. Like it would've been so easy. But instead they're like... 'Let's go back and snatch his wand when he's facing a dragon in the First Task.' What?
I have to agree with this. I thought they were going to try to find Cedric in the maze and delay him or Stun him so that only Harry ended up touching the Trophy. I couldn't help thinking how stupid Albus and Scorpius were for bumbling around the way they did with the Time Turner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry23 View Post
But Cedric...I refuse to believe that part to be canon. It's crazy that he would've become a death eater and a murderer because he got humiliated over a tournament.
I have to say I was disappointed with this portrayal of Cedric as well - he should have had more integrity and maturity than that. He seems a completely different person from the one we met in The Goblet of Fire.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 28th, 2016, 4:49 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altjeringa View Post
I haven't read it yet and I haven't posted here in years, but I felt the need to comment after discovering the major spoilers.

Spoiler: show
I absolutely cannot wrap my head around Voldemort having a child. I'm sorry but there is no way he would have an affair, neither with Bellatrix nor with anyone else. I know that sex can often be "meaningless" but even so it is by its nature an intimate act. The books made it clear that Voldemort had no use for human contact or relationships. He believed he was immortal so why would he think he would need an heir?
Towards the end of the serious he would have been aware that Dumbledore knew about the horcruxes and hallows which put him at mortal risk. And given his obsession with bloodlines, it makes sense he'd try to create a dynasty.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 28th, 2016, 8:56 am
Fourth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Towards the end of the serious he would have been aware that Dumbledore knew about the horcruxes and hallows which put him at mortal risk. And given his obsession with bloodlines, it makes sense he'd try to create a dynasty.
He only found out that Harry was hunting Horcruxes a day before the final battle. That's not nearly enough time to get a woman pregnant and have a baby. I don't think he believed he was ever going to die because that's sort of what makes his character what it is. The most likely explanation IMO is that the pregnancy was an accident as so often happens in the Muggle world as well. All real life dictators had mistresses so it's not that weird. JKR did say that he was (at least loosely) based on Hitler.

Old August 29th, 2016, 3:07 pm
Curse Breaker

I haven't read the script (and, yes, that's what the book is: why the hell didn't they novelize it?) or seen the play. Most of discussion I've read has been irrelevant silliness about "canon." (None of it ever happened, so why worry?)

My question is: is the story any good? In 10 words or less, what is the story? Is it another story about hard/right vs. easy/wrong choices? Or is it something else altogether?

Has there been any mention of actually adapting the script to a novel? I might read that. However, just as any decent or better novel is an awful script, any decent or better script is an awful novel!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old September 17th, 2016, 11:04 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
My question is: is the story any good?
Yes. There are parts of it that I enjoyed. But there are also a lot of bad moments. If you can just focus on the good, go for it. If you're going to take the story very seriously and are prepared to call it all Canon, don't read it.

Quote:
In 10 words or less, what is the story?
What happens when Albus Potter finds an extremely powerful time-turner?

Quote:
Is it another story about hard/right vs. easy/wrong choices? Or is it something else altogether?
Something else. It's about trying to change your past. When something bad happens, it was meant to happen. You can't go back and change your life or the lives of anyone else. No matter how noble your intentions, it will ruin the world as you know it. Essentially, think about what Dumbledore said to Harry at the end of PoA. "Has your experience with the Time-Turner taught you nothing? The consequences of our actions are so complicated." Sometimes bad things happen, but they were meant to happen.

Quote:
Has there been any mention of actually adapting the script to a novel? I might read that. However, just as any decent or better novel is an awful script, any decent or better script is an awful novel!
JKR will never make it into a novel. She is so against it. It might be for the better. I want the Harry Potter novels to be as perfect as they are. The most amazing part of the Harry Potter series was how believable it was... despite the fact it's about magic. The characters felt consistent and real, and so did their actions. Everything fit. Cursed Child does not fit right. There are too many unbelievable pieces. Leave it as a script and nothing more.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
Old September 19th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Quote:
JKR will never make it into a novel. She is so against it. It might be for the better. I want the Harry Potter novels to be as perfect as they are. The most amazing part of the Harry Potter series was how believable it was... despite the fact it's about magic. The characters felt consistent and real, and so did their actions. Everything fit. Cursed Child does not fit right. There are too many unbelievable pieces. Leave it as a script and nothing more.
Where did you find out about that, interview/comment wise? I'm curious.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old September 20th, 2016, 12:33 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I think it was something like 'Harry Potter is finished', no link. I follow both Pottermore and SnitchSeeker on FB, so I might have read it there.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 24th, 2016, 7:21 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I wish I could remember. I think it was an article I saw the day before/the day of the script's release on facebook. It was called something like "JK Rowling says it's not a novel, but Harry Potter fans everywhere don't care," or something to that effect. It just made it pretty clear that while JKR says it's canon, it's not a full-blown novel, and it never will be, and there's never going to be another Harry Potter novel, etc.

It was similar to this article, but not this exactly: Here.

Old September 30th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Quote:
I wish I could remember. I think it was an article I saw the day before/the day of the script's release on facebook. It was called something like "JK Rowling says it's not a novel, but Harry Potter fans everywhere don't care," or something to that effect. It just made it pretty clear that while JKR says it's canon, it's not a full-blown novel, and it never will be, and there's never going to be another Harry Potter novel, etc.

It was similar to this article, but not this exactly: Here.
Thanks. I'll check it out when I can. I'll to put it back on hold though . The book that is.

Old November 22nd, 2016, 2:02 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
JKR will never make it into a novel. She is so against it. It might be for the better. I want the Harry Potter novels to be as perfect as they are.
There is absolutely zero connection between these statements. Novelizing the Fantastic Beasts or Cursed Child story has zero effect whatsoever on the Harry Potter novels: each of those 7 stories retains all of the literary qualities and imperfections (and, yes, there were many imperfections), and the series retains all of its qualities and imperfections regardless of anything else that Rowling or anyone else does. To claim otherwise is as absurd as claiming that a meal you ate today somehow altered a meal you ate 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
The most amazing part of the Harry Potter series was how believable it was... despite the fact it's about magic.
The stories were not about "magic." They were seven different stories about hard/correct vs. wrong/easy choices. Like all modern stories, it was the development of protagonists (or, as in this case, a single protagonist) that created all of the story. Magic was simply a plot-device.

What this comes down to is the fact that telling the same story in two different media always requires different approaches. Cinematic or Theatrical lungs must be replaced by literary gills if you are to maintain the story: otherwise, it's like tossing a T. rex into the ocean and insisting that it should work as well as a shark; instead, it will just drown eventually (and be eaten by sharks).

So, if they are not going to properly novelize a written adaptation, then they should not issue it at all. It would be just as bad as using a novel as a script when doing a movie.

Quote:
What happens when Albus Potter finds an extremely powerful time-turner?
That is a plot synopsis, not a description of the story. Stories of this nature describe whatever commonalities emerge from how the protagonist or protagonists evolve. For example, all of the Game of Throne stories are Faulkneresque ones about characters trying to iron out internal inconsistencies: i.e., how you cannot be loyal to Person A and Person B when Persons A & B go to war with each other. All of the Harry Potter stories are Dickensenesque ones about Right/Hard vs. Wrong/Easy choices: e.g., how what you need to do to face a dragon, ask out a girl, save a stranger, etc., all demand that a person step up in the same sort of way.

(It seems that the Cursed Child story, for example, is very much one of those "Butterfly Effect" stories about how people can turn out very differently if a few particular events that seemed small at the time went differently; e.g., someone turned left instead of right, or got onto the first train carriage instead of the second train carriage, etc.)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; November 22nd, 2016 at 2:10 pm. Reason: Forgot to address one thing!
Old November 22nd, 2016, 2:26 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
There is absolutely zero connection between these statements. Novelizing the Fantastic Beasts or Cursed Child story has zero effect whatsoever on the Harry Potter novels: each of those 7 stories retains all of the literary qualities and imperfections (and, yes, there were many imperfections), and the series retains all of its qualities and imperfections regardless of anything else that Rowling or anyone else does. To claim otherwise is as absurd as claiming that a meal you ate today somehow altered a meal you ate 2 weeks ago.
To many readers, CC being a play instead of a novel means they can easily dismiss it as "non-canon" because it is in a different format from previous work. I think this is nonsense as the definition of canon has nothing to do with format and merely talks about a "work" of an author, which CC definitely is. But there you have it.

Quote:
So, if they are not going to properly novelize a written adaptation, then they should not issue it at all. It would be just as bad as using a novel as a script when doing a movie.
I disagree. A novel is not a more "proper" form of literature than a play. No one says Eugene O'Neill should have properly novelized "A Long Day's Journey into Night", for example. CC is supposed to be different from the novels and the fact that it's a play is quite relevant for the story. This is why Rowling said it needs to be experienced as a play. It's written for theater. The HP universe is expanding and we can no longer expect everything to come in a novelized form.

As for not releasing it, it's basically impossible to find available CC tickets unless you're willing to pay a thousand bucks to get them from a scalper. Fans wanted to know what the story was so she released the script. I'm glad she did. I've read many plays which I will probably never see on stage and that's fine.

Quote:
That is a plot synopsis, not a description of the story. Stories of this nature describe whatever commonalities emerge from how the protagonist or protagonists evolve.
I would say CC is about dealing with the aftermath of the battle, and the scars it leaves. It's also a story about the second generation trying to handle its legacy. Albus struggles with Harry's legacy, Scorpius with Draco's and Delphi with Voldemort's. That's the main theme, as I see it and I think the play deals with it quite successfully (although the plot itself leaves much to be desired).

Last edited by Sereena; November 22nd, 2016 at 2:29 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies